Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 3rd Feb 2013 at 12:37 AM
Default what to do with Dina Caliente? (new pleasantview)
So, I've started over in Pleasantview. I get bored occasionally. Anyways, I open up the Caliente house for the first time. You know how Dina always has the "get engaged to Mortimer" want when you first play her? Not this time (at least, my Dina always does). Instead, she wants a baby (and to marry a rich sim).

I'm a bit stunned to tell the truth. I adore Dina, she's one of my favorite sims. In my old Pleasantview, I married her off to Mortimer and she even had a daughter with him. But since I really love Mortimer/Bella, I was going to avoid having her go down that route this time; I was actually thinking of Darren/Dina perhaps (keeping the D name going). But this desire to marry well (wealthy) and have a baby right from the get-go has me wondering how else I might play this new Pleasantview differently and still make Dina happy.

So? Besides thoughts and odd commenting, what new/interesting/unique take on the old tired Pleasantview scenarios do you have? Also, Dina/Darren as a couple?
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 3rd Feb 2013 at 1:08 AM Last edited by BlakeS5678 : 3rd Feb 2013 at 2:10 PM.
I got bored exactly like you did. Simple answer: Incest! Just think about. Do this with EVERY family and you'll have the creepiest, most disgusting, moral questioning hood ever, but, hey. It's fun!

Just call me Blake! :)
Hola, hablo español también - Hi, I speak Spanish too.
Instructor
Original Poster
#3 Old 3rd Feb 2013 at 1:26 AM
Strangely enough, that was part of my plan for Veronaville...
Field Researcher
#4 Old 3rd Feb 2013 at 1:40 AM
Dina/Darren is one of my favorite couples! I almost always pair them up and they are dating in my current round of Pleasantview. I like to think that Darren is the guy that gets Dina to see that money isn't everything and Dina is the one to help Darren get over his Cassandra crush. Plus, as evidence with Mortimer and Michael, she obviously likes the older men!!! <3 I probably won't marry them until Darren's art gallery takes off and then she'll get the wealthy marriage memory, too.
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 3rd Feb 2013 at 1:43 AM
I usually just leave Dina unmarried, have Darren marry Cassandra, and Mortimer mourn about the loss of his wife. (I usually have Bella come back after Morty's death..)
Instructor
Original Poster
#6 Old 3rd Feb 2013 at 1:50 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Alijah
Dina/Darren is one of my favorite couples! I almost always pair them up and they are dating in my current round of Pleasantview. I like to think that Darren is the guy that gets Dina to see that money isn't everything and Dina is the one to help Darren get over his Cassandra crush. Plus, as evidence with Mortimer and Michael, she obviously likes the older men!!! <3 I probably won't marry them until Darren's art gallery takes off and then she'll get the wealthy marriage memory, too.

Yay! I'm not crazy for liking Darren/Dina! I was thinking of letting him become a rich artist too but I don't want to wait too long because I'm thinking they would make really pretty kids. :lovestruc

Dina wanting to have a baby instead of getting engaged to Morty is probably not that strange now that I'm thinking about it but it was just so weird...besides, Pleasantview's been done so many times now, I feel the need to try different things with my sims.
Alchemist
#7 Old 3rd Feb 2013 at 1:56 AM
My Dina married Malcolm Landgraab. I'm playing Pleasantview again and I think she'll end up with John Burb this time.
#8 Old 3rd Feb 2013 at 1:57 AM
Quote: Originally posted by BlakeS5678
I got bored exactly like you did. Simple answer: Homosexuality mixed with incest. Just think about. Do this with EVERY family and you'll have the creepiest, most disgusting, moral questioning hood ever, but, hey. It's fun!

Please don't tell me that you are serious that homosexuality is "disgusting" and "moral questioning".

I think you will get a few raised eyebrows.
Field Researcher
#9 Old 3rd Feb 2013 at 2:08 AM
Quote: Originally posted by conversesneaker
Yay! I'm not crazy for liking Darren/Dina! I was thinking of letting him become a rich artist too but I don't want to wait too long because I'm thinking they would make really pretty kids. :lovestruc

Dina wanting to have a baby instead of getting engaged to Morty is probably not that strange now that I'm thinking about it but it was just so weird...besides, Pleasantview's been done so many times now, I feel the need to try different things with my sims.

I've never had them have kids (like you, I get bored... I restart before I ever really get to a second or third generation), but I bet their kids would be gorgeous!
#10 Old 3rd Feb 2013 at 2:29 AM
I think I may have misinterpreted BlakeS5678's remark. Another way to interpret it is that BlakeS5678 may be thinking of the general antipathy of homosexuals in the world, maintained by ignorant people or socially conservative people. In that frame of mind, I think BlakeS5678 wants to allude to the antipathy of homosexuals in the world, and according to the views of those people, his remark would be accurate.
Field Researcher
#11 Old 3rd Feb 2013 at 3:17 AM
In my hood Dina was happily married to Mortimer, with a few flings on the side. She fell pregnant with twin girls, Dina was not cut out to be a mother and she began to feel trapped in the old Goth house, she wanted a career and to live life not to be stuck in the constrains of family life. While Dina was spiralling into a depression, Bella was plotting how to get her husband back, who was totally unawre Bella was hiding away in an old mansion on the outskirts of Plesantview. . . With her two alien offspring. Bella sent Dina a Genie lamp, who granted Dinas first wish. . . To reserrect Micheal. With a second thought Dina and Micheal left the Goth house and brought a big town house downtown, leaving her two daughters in Mortimers care.

Havent had a chance to play out her and Micheal yet, next rotation im sending them on holiday.

-and in that moment, i was infinate.
Mad Poster
#12 Old 3rd Feb 2013 at 3:22 AM
I've played Dina many ways-but she's never been 'into' Darren all that much. Actually, in one version when Alexander grew up, they became an item. They couldn't keep away from one another.

But I find time after time, that Dina is actually pretty serious about making her own money, and she'd really rather be working than live life as a rich widow. Which may come as a surprise, but with her kind of money lust, she knows deep down that she can't always depend on a man for everything!

She's also never really into Don that much-I think they're just past lovers who became friends, unlike her sister, who has the unending lust for Don.

Besides, Darren adores Cassandra, but when given the chance, he can chase Brandi Broke. Right now in my game, they're mad at each other because he just can't stop pursuing Cassandra and Brandi doesn't like that one bit!
Instructor
#13 Old 3rd Feb 2013 at 11:09 AM
Dina hadn't always seen Mortimer as a love interest, just someone who had taken the time to get to know her and truly see her for the ambitious woman that she was. Although Dina wanted to marry a man that was 'rich', she never really wanted it to be about money she wanted to marry a man that was 'rich' in life and wanted to go somewhere in life rather than someone that had already gotten the career success, kids, nice home, pets and a nice car.

It was these reasons that Dina never took the friendship/relationship with Mortimer any further. Thy decided to become friends instead. That didn't mean that she wanted to be alone in life with no one to share the successes and pitfalls of life, no in fact it made her more determine to find that man.

Therefore, when Dina was invited to the suppose 'wedding of the year' of Don and Cassandra, lets just say she wasn't too happy about the situation not just because she knew that her sister Nina would be angry that the wedding that everyone thought wasn't going to go through was actually going through. But because apart of her had always had feelings for Don too, but she never told Nina because she knew that her already rocky relationship with her sister would be non-existent if she ever told her.

Lets' just say the wedding never went through, and no one was at all surprise. But the fall out from the wedding left everyone surprise, especially Dina when at the wedding in front of everyone Don declared that he couldn't marry Cassandra because he was in love with Dina. (Dina was secrectly glad that her sister had decided not to come to the wedding, as this annoucement would have made her angry and upset.)

With a grand gesture by Don kissing Dina in front of the crowd that was suppose to witness the marriage between Don and Cassandra; word got back to Nina and Dina's fears of her rocky relationship with Nina hitting non-exitent...well...although they weren't on speaking terms for a while, they did evetually make up.

Dina never thought she would be seeing herself at this moment of time, with 3 months having gone by that she would be enganged to Don and planning her wedding and be supporting her sister who had gone back to college to get her degree in food technology and Art science. All of this was happening while Dina was climbing up the ladder at Sim Nation Coporation Ltd.

Things seem to be looking up for Dina.
Theorist
#14 Old 3rd Feb 2013 at 12:09 PM
For a change of pace, try pairing Dina up with one of the binned Sims (Julien Cooke, Sid Roseland), or have her just become roomies with someone other than her sister (the Larson twins, Chester Gieke, Malcolm Landgraab).

I never let her marry Mortimer. One, she's not deserving. Two, they are a rather boring couple, in general.

If you want to spice things up more, have Dina & Nina become live in Nannies for a couple of wealthy families that you create and move into town. Will they become better Sims and just tend to the kids, or will they try and put the moves on their employers?

That would also be an easy way to play premade Sims, along with new Sims.

“Seize the time... Live now! Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again.” ― Jean-Luc Picard
Mad Poster
#15 Old 3rd Feb 2013 at 1:14 PM
Well, I don't play Pleasantview, but during the brief period I was using it as a test hood to ensure that my reinstallation after the crash had taken, it seemed to me that the standard interpretation of the Caliente sisters founders on their ages. Michael married Dina when she was still a teen-ager, for pity's sake! So I have this whole backstory where Dina and Nina were abused runaways or thrownaways living on the street and Michael married Dina in a gallant rescue move; only he then didn't provide for them properly in the event of his death. Dina therefore is looking for a father figure and security with her "marry rich sim" wants. As for Mortimer - he'd regard marrying Dina as cleaning up his brother-in-law's mess.

Try changing Dina's backstory in your own mind in light of this unexpected "have baby" want and any other clues you stir up poking around in the memories, pictures, and bios, and see what direction that takes you.

Mortimer is not the only rich sim she could marry, either. If you have a Downtown, Mr. Big, and for that matter the Diva, come with wads of cash and an inventory full of Stuff. If you have Bluewater Village you have Malcolm Landgraab. If you have CAS and a knowledge of cheat code you could have someone made to your exact specifications for her. A simple change like reversing her sexual orientation could open your story wide - what if she's after Cassandra instead of Mortimer?

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Scholar
#16 Old 3rd Feb 2013 at 2:09 PM
Quote: Originally posted by CrèmedelaCrème
Please don't tell me that you are serious that homosexuality is "disgusting" and "moral questioning".

I think you will get a few raised eyebrows.

*Gasps* That's not what I meant at all! I was referring to the incest, not the homosexuality... I geuss people skipped over that part or something...

Just call me Blake! :)
Hola, hablo español también - Hi, I speak Spanish too.
Instructor
Original Poster
#17 Old 3rd Feb 2013 at 2:55 PM
and now Daniel Pleasant is changing his ways too! I went to visit the Pleasants just now and Daniel had no wants to cheat whatsoever. Not even to woohoo Kaylynn Langerak!

I checked the rest of my Pleasantview sims but nobody else had wants out of the ordinary. Still, Daniel and Dina apparently want to change their ways. The question is...do I let them? Oh, this new Pleasantview is getting to be very interesting!
Mad Poster
#18 Old 3rd Feb 2013 at 4:14 PM
I haven't played Dina yet in my regular uberhood, but I'm thinking of resurrecting Michael Bachelor for her. But in my genderswapped uberhood, Dick Caliente went ACR gaga for Brandon Broke, of all people, the dirt poor single dad of three kids. Now that's gotta be love!
Mad Poster
#19 Old 3rd Feb 2013 at 5:09 PM
I don't play Dina so much, for some reason, and I've reset Pleasantivew twice already. But when I do play her, she has NEVER married Mortimer, and is a party girl.

Thanks to ALL free-site creators, admins and mods.

RIP Sunni ... truly a ray of light.
Lab Assistant
#20 Old 3rd Feb 2013 at 7:05 PM Last edited by A-chana : 3rd Feb 2013 at 7:34 PM.
I've been getting odd rolls like this lately, too; I'm noticing it a lot on Daniel (nothing about sleeping with Kaylynn, though he still wants a third lover, but he sometimes even rolls wants to play games with Angela as if he's a good father!) because I keep going in and out of the Pleasant house to do some redecorating or fact-checking, without actually unpausing to let their stories progress. I think it might be because I have a mod that makes wants more sensible, like not trying to go skating when there's not a single rink anywhere near them, since this didn't start happening until I downloaded it.

I agree that interpreting what the game gives you might be a good start. There are lots of details about the characters that get lost in the big "OH NOES GOLD-DIGGIN HOMEWRECKERS" plot. For example, Dina is said to be someone who tries so hard to be independent that when told she has a mind of her own, she will disagree with that person. She's interested in money, of course, but she also* has strong interests in weather, fashion, entertainment, sci-fi, travel, and toys. She couldn't care less about health, work, and the environment, though. Actually, reading this over, I'm really interested in the sci-fi part -- Dina's father, after all, is the result of an alien abduction. So perhaps she could get tangled up with aliens in your game?

(* At least, I'm hoping that the stats I'm looking at match up with the defaults shipped with the game, as I'm looking a clean template that I played a bit to gussy everyone up for pictures.)

Like Peni said, even the weirdness in the memories might have some interesting explanations. I know that some fans have this idea where Skip was literally cloned in the plot, and his clone fathered Brandi's third child after the original died. And Michael wanting to rescue the Calientes and making romance part of it, thus shaping Dina's behavior in the future, is a very interesting take on the timing of her kiss with him!
Scholar
#21 Old 3rd Feb 2013 at 8:51 PM Last edited by ieta_cassiopeia : 3rd Feb 2013 at 8:52 PM. Reason: Added reason for Abajheet's death
My neighbourhood's Dina Caliente married townie Abajheet Cho and had a daughter called Imane by him. During her pregnancy, Dina invited Don Lothario into the household. Don became a second father to Imane, which Abajheet encouraged (many hands make light work of changing nappies) and Dina liked a lot. Sadly, Abajheet died from Michael Bachelor's ghost scaring him when Imane was a toddler. Dina fell in love with Don. Dina was pregnant with her second child when she and Don died in an epidemic. Imane survived and now lives with her aunt Nina at Circe Beaker's lab.
Field Researcher
#22 Old 3rd Feb 2013 at 9:17 PM
Since my game some reason doesn't like me going into CAS and creating sims, probably due to my graphics card? Not totally sure, tried it without and with CC, same issue. But.. onto the topic!

Each day I been going around Pleasantview playing each default family, making the love who they want, all that hubba bubba. I finally get to Dina and play with her, so as usual she wants to marry a rich sim, well.. Mortimer so I do and then she wants to move out, and I let them go to fullfill their lives. Now I haven't really touched the family .. from what I remember, but they had a baby, and I knew Mortimer was sure to die soon.. so I'm a bit in the sniffles. I imagine Mort was a handsome sim. No offence, but.. I find the Calliente sisters to be.. sort of...hookerish? I mean.. it seems they want the men to cheat with them mostly, like one was one man (forgot who..) and the other is Mort. I don't know bout you but it's fun to think of them as such.
Lab Assistant
#23 Old 4th Feb 2013 at 12:45 AM
I started a challenge on the forums for playing pleasantview. It's been really fun going back and starting over from scratch with the premade families of pleasantview. I had Bella return to Mortimer but before she arrived Dina got pregnant and had Mortimer's baby. He married Bella and told Dina he wouldn't be supporting her claim to his fortune or child support. Nina moved in with Don so she was left with the party condo but with a baby she couldn't really live that lifestyle anymore.

I had her move out to a gypsy carnie camp and she became a mean witch who for a price will do shady business like using the attacking bee spell on customer's enemies. She also sells potions and tells fortunes for a fee. She had her baby and ignored him for the most part. He looked just like Mortimer and she resents him because it reminds her of what she lost. She lives to get even with Mortimer and his precious family. Monty grew to a child and finally was able to get the attention he craved from the carnie community and has decided to be a performer. Dina has a lover who comes and goes at her call but other than that she is no longer interested in marrying rich.

She studies her magic and it's the passion that drives her life now even though the power is routed in bitterness. She is a broken woman in some sorts. She thought she had it all made. Marry Mortimer, send Alexander off to Boarding School, then wait for Mortimer to die or drink her special tea like she did with her late husband Michael Bachelor. The money would have been all hers and she wouldn't have had to lift a finger but now her dark ways are full steam ahead. She will get even and he will pay!

Pleasantview challenge my way.
Scholar
#24 Old 4th Feb 2013 at 2:39 AM
I always marry Dina off to Malcolm Landgraab, I like the fact theyre both blond and tan, and hes rich. I have her go and do cashiering in his stores, and I like to think at first shes like "uugghh do I hhaavvee to Malcolm im bboorreeddd can we go home" but over time he teachers her about hard work and effort, and just recently in my game she bought Amelia's closet, renamed it Dina's Closet and sells high end fashion.
I had Nina marry John mole, and they had the cutest son. Im really glad I paired them together.
Mad Poster
#25 Old 4th Feb 2013 at 3:18 AM
Since I have Tarlia's fixed hoods, I like to have Dina discover that Michael left her with a little surprise. My Dinas occasionally roll a get-a-job want, but it usually goes away pretty fast thanks to a regular influx of cash from online consulting, stock market, and a pleasure secondary. Dina is quite a lazy sim and finds sitting at her computer telling others how to invest their money much more rewarding that an actual job.

Pics from my game: Sunbee's Simblr Sunbee's Livejournal
"English is a marvelous edged weapon if you know how to wield it." C.J. Cherryh
Page 1 of 3