Home | Download | Discussion | Help | Site Map | New Posts | Sign in
Replies: 45 (Who?), Viewed: 5574 times.
Page 1 of 2
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#1 Old 23rd Apr 2013 at 12:56 PM
Default How do I make the <bleep>ing maid do the <bleep>ing laundry already?
Ok, this is something for the "things that make you want to scream" thread already...

So I buy a washing machine, drier and hamper. And hire either kind of maid, or the butler, or really it works even with Neat and Perfectionist roommates. They do the laundry all right. For a while.

Until the hamper is full, that is.

Then they just get in a loop of picking clothes off the floor, and dropping them right <bleep>ing back. Repeat ad nauseam.

I mean, for <bleep>'s sake, even with the overturned garbage bin, they only try picking up the garbage and dropping the garbage once before they go and fix the problem. Here they don't. They can spend all <bleep>ing day just picking up the clothes and dropping them right back on the floor again.

And really, it's not just one maid. I tried firing and rehiring, I tried the Live In maid, I tried the butler, I even tried editing a room-mate and making them Neat and/or Perfectionist. The same <bleep>ing idiocy happens.

Makes me want to not just scream "OMG, WTF are you DOING?", but grab them and smash their face into a <bleep>ing wall. Actually, scratch that. It makes me want to grab EA's Gibeau or whatever asshole is responsible for the policy of shovelling broken crap out the door and not fixing it for years, and smash HIS face into a <bleep>ing wall. There's crazy effects of randomly picking actions out of order, and then there is something like this which is consistent and reproducible and happens every single time. How the <bleep> does THAT stay unfixed for years? It's one bug, glitch or bad AI after another.

Ahem. Anyway, is there something I can do to make the domestic personnel do their <bleep>ing job already? Some mod? Some way to arrange things differently around the house? Some option I can set?

Edit: I'm thinking of giving everyone the hidden Makes No Messes trait, which just teleports the clothes to the hamper, so the maid doesn't get stuck in that loop. But frankly, I don't think that seeing clothes magically teleporting themselves would help my suspension of disbelief much.
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 23rd Apr 2013 at 1:27 PM
I got fed up with laundry, there just was no way to have a hamper everywhere a Sim changes, especially after Seasons. I use Shimrod's No Laundry Mod.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#3 Old 23rd Apr 2013 at 1:47 PM
Well, I could just delete the laundry items, in which case the sims also stop dropping clothes at all. No need to get a mod for that. It's built right into the game, thankfully.

It does bother me though that I have to disable (by options or by mod) YET ANOTHER part of an EP I paid good money for, because it's YET ANOTHER a half-arsed idiocy that doesn't really work or it's ruining my gameplay or whatever.

Memories, celebrity system, social groups, moon phases (because of the zombies), etc, it's like by now I had to disable every other major hype point of the EPs I bought. In fact, I'm pretty much just using half of them as just overpriced item packs, and in some cases as an overpriced map, though even that might not work. WTH...

Anyway, it would be nice if I could make the damned things work, than have them join the wall speakers and whatnot in the pile of deffective junk I got sold and never could get any use out of...
Field Researcher
#4 Old 23rd Apr 2013 at 2:04 PM
Sims get in a loop when no one remebers to empty the washer. This was a constant problem for me in the Sorority house. I didn't want to deletet the laundry objects so I just added another washer.

Someone would go and pick up the dirty clothes and take them to either or, which ever wasn't loaded.

It solves the problem if you want your Sims to have to do laundry. I also found that the new hamper is glitched. At least in my game. The new one in UL. I stopped using it, and replaced it from the old standby that was free on the site, that came with the washer and dryer.

I like for my Sims to suffer when they hear the noise of the cheap machines.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#5 Old 23rd Apr 2013 at 3:00 PM
Not only the washing machine is empty, I even deleted the old one completely and placed a brand new one. Which is empty.

The problem is basically just that, but with the hamper, not the washer.

And it's still EA's bug in either configuration. Sims should empty the hamper or washing machine, not get stuck in that retarded loop. And since it's not some free download, I don't think I'm unreasonable to be annoyed that a problem that apparently has been known for 3+ years STILL isn't fixed.

Thanks for the tip with the UL hamper. I'll try using a different one and see if it makes any difference.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#6 Old 23rd Apr 2013 at 3:31 PM
Nope, the same happens with the standard hamper. <bleep>ing EA bugs... >.<
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#7 Old 23rd Apr 2013 at 5:29 PM
As a rather expensive and ineffective solution, it seems like having two washing machines, two driers, and NO hampers seems to also work. Sorta. Now they won't forget to move the clothes from the hamper to the washing machine, since they go directly into the washing machine. It's inefficient, though, since for every clothes pile or two, the maid has to go do a washing cycle and a drier cycle, which takes more time than just dropping them into the hamper and doing the whole hamper once later. That is, if EA's AI could frikken do it with a hamper at all.
Scholar
#8 Old 23rd Apr 2013 at 6:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moraelin
Well, I could just delete the laundry items, in which case the sims also stop dropping clothes at all. No need to get a mod for that. It's built right into the game, thankfully.

But I like adding the laundry items to my houses. It makes them look complete.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#9 Old 23rd Apr 2013 at 6:24 PM
Hmm, well, you do have a point there. Mostly that's why I bother with them too. I just wish they'd also, you know, work :p
Field Researcher
#10 Old 23rd Apr 2013 at 6:29 PM
<bleep> get her <bleep> told, tell her: <bleep> get the <bleep> laundry <bleep> done you <bleep> big <bleep> damn <bleeeeeeeeep>

that'll show her.

I Am Spoonbender
Mad Poster
#11 Old 23rd Apr 2013 at 8:12 PM
If you are not opposed to mods, have you looked at this: http://simsasylum.com/tfm/index.php...-march-12-2013/

I don't know if this will help the maid or butler to pick up the laundry and wash what's in the household for sure, but it helped while my sim was in a dorm and living in an apartment. The NPCs would wash all loads in the house that they had access to.

Let's help fund mammograms for everyone. If you want to help, Click To Give @ The Breast Cancer Site Your click is free. Thank you.
Theorist
#12 Old 23rd Apr 2013 at 8:23 PM
Build a basement.

Put swimming pool in basement.

Lure in maid.

BUILD FUCKING WALLS AROUND POOL AND WAIT UNTIL THE SHIT LEARNS.

You cannot grasp the true form of Giygas' attack!
Deception, Oil & Laserbeams: motherfucking Tumblr
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#13 Old 23rd Apr 2013 at 8:41 PM
Blah... if they could learn, I wouldn't see the butler down a glass of plasma wine after I leave to work, go "blargh, I don't feel well", then go back to down the second glass. Two hours later she takes a sprint to kneel before the porcelain throne. Then obviously thinks, "ooh, it would be such a shame to let the last glass of old wine go to waste..." and... you get the idea :p

Every day.

At first I thought of building a wine cellar and locking it for the butler, but by now I think the price of wine is well worth the daily show
Mad Poster
#14 Old 24th Apr 2013 at 12:06 AM
You might want to try one thing to help the laundry flow. Rather than investing in multiple washing machines, have your sim, you know, the one you control, walk over to the washer and put the wet clothes in the dryer. Now the NPCs won't have a problem as the washer will now be available. If your sim removes the clean, dry clothes from the dryer, the NPCs can even complete the cycle. An NPC might even get the dry clothes out autonomously, as they can get a happy clean clothes moodlet and a static electric nose spark from it. Just a thought.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#15 Old 24th Apr 2013 at 1:17 AM
Again, the problem I'm having (and which seems to appear only after a couple of sim-days, maybe weeks of playing that lot) is NOT with clothes left to rot in the washing machine. That's actually not a problem. If there are clothes in the machine, the maid or butler (at least in my game) WILL go move them to the drier.

I know, because I had to start the wash cycle myself, just to rescue the butler from being stuck in that loop, and then they go do the rest.

The problem is putting the clothes IN the machine in the first place.

At which point, in fact, the machine is empty. In fact most of the tests involved deleting the old machine completely and buying a new one. Which comes empty. They COULD put the effing clothes in the washing machine. I can. They just don't seem to. That's what bloody annoys me.

That is, if the clothes are in the hamper, anyway. If there's a hamper, they seem to just want to dump more and more and more into it, like it's the monster pit from The Sims Medieval, except with a clothes-eating monster in it.

And if there isn't a hamper, they'll just take the clothes and put them in the washing machine and start the cycle. So obviously the interaction on the machine works just fine.

Why I need more than one machine when I run without a hamper, is that the wash cycle takes time. And with 9 nutters (including the butler) dropping clothes all over the place, the maid will now go pick the next pile of clothes and do the pick-drop-pick-drop-pick-drop act all over again until the previous cycle is finished. At which point she can FINALLY get the wet clothes out, put them in the drier, and shove the new batch that she's been picking and dropping into the machine. If there's a second machine, she'll go put them in the second machine.

And things just got sillier since I got Woohooer, since now they REALLY drop clothes next to every bed and shower all day long. I even gave them a two hour delay before they can get an erection again -- especially the women -- and it still doesn't help much.

Especially my vampire's butler seems to have figured that she's there to do stuff so the vampire doesn't have to. And that apparently includes making sure that when the vampire comes home, dinner is happy... err... I mean, serviced.... I mean served

So, yeah, that's a lot of clothes piles :p
Instructor
#16 Old 24th Apr 2013 at 1:23 AM
This is pretty much all I retained from reading your post: "a two hour delay before they can get an erection again -- especially the women"

Maybe nobody is doing laundry because they're all trying to to figure out how to get erections with the wrong parts.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#17 Old 24th Apr 2013 at 1:26 AM
You know, the sad part is that since we're talking Sims, I wouldn't even start to be surprised :p

That said, the Live In Maid can't do those interactions anyway, and I never touched her traits or gender preference or anything, so I hope that's not getting in the way of doing laundry for HER :p
Instructor
DELETED POST
24th Apr 2013 at 2:40 AM
This message has been deleted by douglasveiga.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#18 Old 24th Apr 2013 at 2:54 AM
Yeah, I have no doubt that it's not a problem of your mod, since the room-mates and butler and standard maid start being unable to move clothes from the hamper to the washing machine just the same. And I've seen the maid do the laundry before, so I know she can do it. But then eventually nobody but the player character can do it anymore. Just somehow my game goes farther down the crapper, the longer I play. Probably in some way that prevents those NPCs from doing their job.

That said, since you're the expert on it, if you have any ideas what could cause such a conflict or anything I could do, I'd be grateful for any advice. I'm seriously out of ideas :/
Instructor
#19 Old 24th Apr 2013 at 2:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by douglasveiga
Actually, i designed the Live in Maid to support laundry tasks. even the "Wet Clothing Pile" problem that affects butlers was fixed, using a custom interaction.

I forgot about her. If your maid is half as badass as your gardener, she should sort these laundry problems out straight away.
Mad Poster
#20 Old 24th Apr 2013 at 3:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnomequeen
This is pretty much all I retained from reading your post: "a two hour delay before they can get an erection again -- especially the women"

Maybe nobody is doing laundry because they're all trying to to figure out how to get erections with the wrong parts.

I pretty much lost all track of laundry when I caught the female erectile delay issue as well. I would work through that game tuning before worrying about clean clothes myself.
Mad Poster
#21 Old 24th Apr 2013 at 4:36 AM

Wow, female erectile disfunction? Is there a mod for that?

I don't know what to say about your issues dude, sounds like you are having all types of problems in that game.

Let's help fund mammograms for everyone. If you want to help, Click To Give @ The Breast Cancer Site Your click is free. Thank you.
Instructor
#22 Old 24th Apr 2013 at 7:41 AM
OP, there are two elegant and logical solutions to your problem.

1. Give away your dirty laundry as gift to visitors.
In the Sims universe, just like irl, sims love personal gifts. You can't get more personal then handing someone your dirty laundry. Same as irl. People take it very personal if you hand them your dirty laundry!

2. Sell your washing machine and dryer.
The sims universe will adapt itself to the enigma caused by the lack of washing machines and dryers and comes up with the elegant solution of making dirty laundry non existant. I tried this irl without success so far. But that doesn't prevent me from trying over and over.
Mad Poster
#23 Old 24th Apr 2013 at 9:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mithrak_nl
OP, there are two elegant and logical solutions to your problem.

1. Give away your dirty laundry as gift to visitors.
In the Sims universe, just like irl, sims love personal gifts. You can't get more personal then handing someone your dirty laundry. Same as irl. People take it very personal if you hand them your dirty laundry!

2. Sell your washing machine and dryer.
The sims universe will adapt itself to the enigma caused by the lack of washing machines and dryers and comes up with the elegant solution of making dirty laundry non existant. I tried this irl without success so far. But that doesn't prevent me from trying over and over.

I must add one other point to #2. Sell all your hampers as well. even without the washer/dryer, the presence of one clothes hamper anywhere on the lot will result in laundry creation. I guess the idea was to buy a cheap hamper for your starter sims, and have them generate laundry to take to the laundromat.

However, dirty clothes as gifts is an inspired idea.
Instructor
#24 Old 24th Apr 2013 at 10:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskie227
I must add one other point to #2. Sell all your hampers as well. even without the washer/dryer, the presence of one clothes hamper anywhere on the lot will result in laundry creation. I guess the idea was to buy a cheap hamper for your starter sims, and have them generate laundry to take to the laundromat.

However, dirty clothes as gifts is an inspired idea.

Oh yeah, I forgot about those things because I never buy a washing machine and dryer anymore Hm, maybe thats why this never worked for me irl! I need to throw out the hamper too, thanks!
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#25 Old 24th Apr 2013 at 11:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewisb40

Wow, female erectile disfunction? Is there a mod for that?

Well, Woohooer can enforce a minimum interval after a woohoo in which there can be no new autonomous attempt at it again. Calling that women can't get an erection in that time was just my idea of a joke.

Though if you want a dysfunction, try to figure out the "Premature" moodlet and why Woohooer has gender equality there. When BH was saying in the other thread that all their hookers suffer from premature ejaculation... yeah, it can do that :p

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewisb40
I don't know what to say about your issues dude, sounds like you are having all types of problems in that game.

Meh, no kidding. Something is getting corrupt and causing it to read data from all the wrong places.

But generally, since I've started with TS3 again, it's like instead of actually playing the bloody game, I'm playing a meta-game of finding work-arounds for EA's buggy game going nuts in all sorts of ways, or just being broken by design, or just so mind-bogglingly illogical and counter-intuitive that one has to wonder about whether it was designed by someone with schizophrenia. Just as a sample of the various problems I've had:

- oops, why are room-mates so intent on setting themselves on fire, and so inept at taking care of their needs that they'll collapse on the floor instead of using the bed, or even starve instead of using the vending machine or fridge?

- oops, why doesn't my music play any more? (Effing wall speakers being still buggy.)

- oops, why is my cat stuck in a fenced area where it shouldn't have been able to be in the first place? And why do the townsfolk too get stuck there and starve? (Fixed with NRaas Overwatch.)

- oops, why are all pubs/clubs/lounges empty and the NPCs hang around on "No Visitors Allowed" lots instead?

- oops, why doesn't any bloody bar have a bartender, like a real bar? ('Cause EA are idiots and none of their bars have professional bars. That or they could spawn a mixologist anyway, if a normal bar is on a venue lot. But that would involve, you know, having two brain cells to rub together.)

- oops, why is my butler collapsing on the floor instead of using the bed? (I swear that with a certain minor xml tuning mod installed, and the music playing, sims can't route into beds from the right side. Never mind that it shouldn't even be possible to cause that with just an xml file that tunes something else. After figuring this out, simply moving the bed to the opposite side of the room fixed it.)

- oops, why has my butler gone missing again?

- oops, why are my inactive sims hijacked into jobs and I get new sims moved into the houses I built for my sims I'm just editing, even though story progression is off?

- oops, why are consignment NPCs and coworkers assigned and reassigned hourly, so my coworkers change before I'm even done meeting them all, much less befriending them to satisfy the promotion requirements? (Fixed by NRaas Register.)

- wth, why is it asking me if I want to sleep in Alucard's bed, when Alucard is my character (at the time) and it's his bed?

- oops, why is my Good and Friendly and Charismatic sim family now dropping everything to berate each other and their kids for ignorance, as well as all their (soon to be former) friends? And why the eff are they now dropping everything to go wake each other and their kids up with an effing megaphone? (Because EA's "social groups" are designed by morons.)

- oops, why have half my room-mates gone missing? (Because when they get certain errors, they go schizophrenic, and think they're both room-mates and NOT room-mates at the same time. They're both part of the household, AND no longer living there. I still dunno how to fix that, other than just reloading the last save before it happened.)

- oops, why don't I get ANY room-mates after 3 days? (Because EA are morons, and it's possible to get room-mates that are proprietors, consignment clerks, etc, that are at work 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, so while they do get assigned to you as room-mates, they'll almost never actually come home.)

- oops, why does my game take literally 5 minutes to save or load? (Because of the effing memories, it turned out. Fixed with the Master Controller.)

Etc, etc, etc.

I assume that when I get to actually play the bloody GAME, it will be awesome, but for now, as I was saying, it seems I'm stuck with playing this stupid meta-game of finding work-arounds (mod or otherwise) for the game's problems. And it's annoying.

Don't get me wrong, the game idea is still as great as it was in TS1 and TS2, and it would probably be great fun to play if I didn't keep running into these problems. In fact, I do remember a time, before all the broken EPs and patches that broke more than they fixed, when it was great fun to play with custom NPCs on that lovely little Autumn Falls map. But nowadays...
Page 1 of 2

Section jump