Home | Download | Discussion | Help | Site Map | New Posts | Sign in
Replies: 30 (Who?), Viewed: 5071 times.
Page 2 of 2
Alchemist
#26 Old 4th Jun 2013 at 12:08 AM
Not specific things, no. That's kind of the thing. I feel a bit lost as to what I should and should not be doing in terms of preventing corruption (outside of the obvious things that are listed). For example, I've seen people mention mods that I have but never use. Examples are things like the lot debugger or all the obscure functions on batbox.

Maybe not a to-do list, but a helpful list of mods and programs that can help you avoid corruption, and how to use them? People mention that you can fight off corruption for a long while and keep playing a corrupted hood, but nobody ever says what that actually means, and I for one would like to know =P
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#27 Old 4th Jun 2013 at 1:05 AM
I'm pretty sure it refers to being able to play corrupt neighborhoods for five years and up, and what to do to keep corruption down. Example, a car won't last forever. It will eventually break down. But with proper care and maintenance, it can be kept for a long time. Some things you could do to fight corruption, off the top of my head, are keeping townie and service production to a minimum, Deleted 2ing Sims long dead, making sure the proper hacks and patches are installed, and avoiding known VBTs.

Those who do not ask questions are stupid, for those who do not ask, never learn.
Lab Assistant
#28 Old 4th Jun 2013 at 2:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mootilda
I believe that SCOR is also used to store relationship information for BFFs. Remember, SimPE was written by players, who often have an incomplete or inaccurate understanding of the data contained in a record.

Ok, that I understand. The whole hood could know, that you and a specific sim are BFF. There it makes sense.

Quote:
Basically, database design theory says that it's best to avoid duplication, since duplicate data can easily become out-of-sync. Therefore, whenever you are tempted to duplicate information, you create a new record type which contains references to the information that you were tempted to duplicate. Those records are then "joined" to complete the information.

But why don't store data like value decay, that will unlikely need somewhere else, at the same place where the other object data (objt) is stored? Why "outsourcing" things, that aren't needed in other places? That's a bit incomprehensible.

Quote:
(...)

This is standard database design theory. If you're interested, there are lots of books and courses available which can explain things more fully.

I had enough of that in my education time, no thanks.

Quote:
I'd also like to point out that EA designed their file structures for their own purposes,
(...)
One of the biggest problems is when people treat individual records as one entity.

And that companies uses their own system is reasonable. They don't want that others could copy their work easily. But other comanpies give their fanbase basic tools to produce their CC. And since S1 EA should have known that fans are eager to do that. A bit more userfriendlyness it's all I asking for.

Most of the other entries I fully understand why they are there. But unnescessary entries could do the opposite of what they should do.
And thats why I could EA kick them in a really sensetive place when I look at the inventory system. A cucumber is a memory? Really, EA? Ugh. Why put them in the same entry?
Site Helper
#29 Old 4th Jun 2013 at 4:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheran
And thats why I could EA kick them in a really sensetive place when I look at the inventory system. A cucumber is a memory? Really, EA? Ugh. Why put them in the same entry?
But why not store them in the same array? After all, the game has no problems recognizing the difference between memories and inventory and displaying them correctly.
Field Researcher
#30 Old 4th Jun 2013 at 4:39 AM
Usually from sim to sim. Such as the shredded memory gossip thing from a deleted sim and everytime Denise Jacquet steps onto a lot.
Lab Assistant
#31 Old 4th Jun 2013 at 5:14 AM
Quote:
But why not store them in the same array? After all, the game has no problems recognizing the difference between memories and inventory and displaying them correctly.

But it seems so schizophrenic that EA split one thing up, what could easily stay together and than put other things under the exact data entries that are totally different things.
I know that more than one person programmed the game and they have likely slightly different approaches how to write it. But for that there are the project executives and their job is to prevent such a mess.
Page 2 of 2

Section jump