Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Toaster Strudel Addict
retired moderator
#76 Old 20th Jan 2014 at 1:05 AM
I know it's a pain, Seth, but I would agree. Retaking the interiors would be best as well. The exteriors look loads better though
Advertisement
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#77 Old 20th Jan 2014 at 2:07 AM
Quote: Originally posted by trambling101
Like which pictures? I already mentioned to Jones that I figured out how to solve my issue, because I took the original pictures on my laptop on the highest setting but those were still not-so-good quality. I figured out that by plugging my laptop into an external screen it allows me to select a much better quality to play on. I already replaced a few of the pictures that I could tell were horrible quality to me, but just let me know which other ones and I'll get too it! I just don't want to retake all of them because I don't have AL, so I don't have that fancy option to take those nice in-room pictures.

If you can't get your pictures clearer, can you get the overheads closer? Right now they are so far away I'm not seeing things too well. With the inside make sure to take shots that help us see the best parts of the rooms and pull back once or twice with the x key if need be. Another tick is to delete a wall, snap your shot and hit the back key which will replace the wall. This helps in those tight spaces.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Field Researcher
#78 Old 20th Jan 2014 at 2:09 AM
What I mean, is that I had to take apart the building just to do so, but I guess that I can replace them as soon as I can! I still have 10 days, and there are no other entries, meaning that I have no need to worry!

Jo that is exactly what I did
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#79 Old 20th Jan 2014 at 2:21 AM
What I mean, is that I had to take apart the building just to do so, but I guess that I can replace them as soon as I can! I still have 10 days, and there are no other entries, meaning that I have no need to worry!

Jo that is exactly what I did

The main thing is the last two shots. If you could at least go right down as close as possible to the building before snapping the picture. The grounds could be on one separate side shot. Only as it is now I'm going to have a hard time judging from those floor plan shots.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Field Researcher
#80 Old 20th Jan 2014 at 3:31 AM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
The main thing is the last two shots. If you could at least go right down as close as possible to the building before snapping the picture. The grounds could be on one separate side shot. Only as it is now I'm going to have a hard time judging from those floor plan shots.

I completely understand, but what I was trying to do was to not surpass the 10 picture limit, I was trying to include the most I could in the least amount of pictures possible. I promise to fix them as soon as I can!
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#81 Old 20th Jan 2014 at 3:48 AM
It's up to you, but I thought it would be better to let you know now while you have a chance to change them, rather than after and end up giving you less points because I can't see things clearly. The 10 picture limit is tricky I know! On some of the other contests we only had 8! With one extra for each floor. You could show the landscaping instead of the bookcases.

~Call me Jo~
Toaster Strudel Addict
retired moderator
#82 Old 20th Jan 2014 at 3:51 AM
On some of the other contests we only had 8!

Should I take offence to this? lol
Field Researcher
#83 Old 20th Jan 2014 at 3:58 AM
It's up to you, but I thought it would be better to let you know now while you have a chance to change them, rather than after and end up giving you less points because I can't see things clearly. The 10 picture limit is tricky I know! On some of the other contests we only had 8! With one extra for each floor. You could show the landscaping instead of the bookcases.

NOOOOooOooOooOo Sciences require many books!!!! Ahaha I see what you're getting at.
Sesquipedalian Pisciform
retired moderator
#84 Old 20th Jan 2014 at 6:32 AM
Awww. I saw the pictures of the books and was so pleased you used the bookcases and the room set up is lovely, but for the contest - maybe a landscaping picture would be more pointworthy.

More downloads by Leesester, BoilingOil and others at Leefish.nl | My Stuff at Leefish.nl | LeeFish RSS | Sims4 News Blog | TumblinLeefish
Alchemist
#85 Old 20th Jan 2014 at 7:48 AM
Seth are you using the in game camera or the do you us the tab key and prtscr key?

Rome wasn't built in a day

Need help finding building items, check out my building blog https://bestbuilditems4sims2.wordpress.com/
Constant Contestant
retired moderator
Original Poster
#86 Old 20th Jan 2014 at 8:21 AM Last edited by karen lorraine : 20th Jan 2014 at 8:35 AM.
I still have 10 days, and there are no other entries, meaning that I have no need to worry!
Seth, your place is secure.

Want a specific style of house or community building? Why not take a look at my profile and see what I build and then come ask me to make it!
Pretty Space Pony
retired moderator
#87 Old 20th Jan 2014 at 8:26 AM
I'm a little late to the party, but I just wanted to say I like your lot Seth! It's nice to see a new face around here
Field Researcher
#88 Old 20th Jan 2014 at 9:00 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ekrubynaffit
Seth are you using the in game camera or the do you us the tab key and prtscr key?

Well I have a Mac, but I know what you're saying. I read in the "How to take a Proper in-game Screenshot" thing to open the game in windowed mode and take a computer screen shot from there, which is what I do. If you read everything before about my low quality pics, I found the solution to my issue, so there is no need to worry!

Lee Thank you for noticing my beautiful bookcases! They're your creation after all, and I use them in almost every sim home I furnish. And I guess you're right..

Klaartje68 Thank you so much for your warm welcome!
Doing all the things, and *mostly* not failing.
retired moderator
#89 Old 20th Jan 2014 at 10:51 PM Last edited by Phaenoh : 21st Jan 2014 at 4:17 AM.
I'm so torn about this contest. I want to join, but I'm having a hard time reconciling the rules and requirements with what I have planned for my uni hood. This dorm shell is so small compared to all my other dorms! I had planned on making a more 'upscale' dorm that is more apartment style, but I was really wanting to enter my 'typical' dorm decor for this contest. And then there is that Arts/Science/Sports bit. My hood has them all! How do I choose? From the list of potential venues, I have the most interest in doing an art themed set, but if all the shells are going to be this little, I'd rather skate by doing sports.
  • How strict are you going to be about your construction rules? Would you allow an additional third floor to this shell provided I meet all the requirements in the first and second floors, and the additional third floor is just a duplicate of the middle floor? I don't think *any* of my uni buildings only have 2 floors.
  • Do you actually need 4 rooms, or is the goal to have a building that can have 4 occupants? I like making double rooms, but squeezing that many things into this small space is hard.
  • What is a refectory? Restaurant or cafeteria/dining hall?
  • How do you feel about building cheats for more commercial looking roofs or things that don't add any useable space?
  • Would you be willing to let the cat out of the bag enough to give a general idea of the future size of shells and lots? Will this lot be typical, or can we expect a wider range in sizes?
Field Researcher
#90 Old 21st Jan 2014 at 4:43 AM
Haven't decided yet if I'll have the time to commit for the whole thing, so don't want to download the lot as I'm running a bit low on hard drive space at the mo - but I'd like to plan it out on paper ready for if I do.
So could someone share the number of spaces from the edges of the lot? I think I have the right dimensions for the foundation/walls.

Alchemist
#91 Old 21st Jan 2014 at 5:56 AM Last edited by ekrubynaffit : 21st Jan 2014 at 6:25 AM.
I decided to go for the Sporty look, as they tend to get all the funding, (in the movies they do anyway!) so its very high end!

This has been fully play tested and everything is working and totally playable (yessssssssss!!)
I have added in the front 8 Walls and 6 peices of foundation and that is all.
There are Sprinklers located throughout, front and back doors have burgler alarms, wall rubbish bins upstairs to contain the mess, and sink in the caferteria to clean the dishes. Every room has lights.

Rome wasn't built in a day

Need help finding building items, check out my building blog https://bestbuilditems4sims2.wordpress.com/
Field Researcher
#92 Old 21st Jan 2014 at 6:50 AM Last edited by celebkiriedhel : 21st Jan 2014 at 1:10 PM.
Phae,

I'm using this to create my uni hood too, and this is how I reconciled it - because I have the same issues.
1. The dorm I'm doing is my entry-midrange-dorm. There will be other dorms I'm going to make that are not part of this contest because I'm intending to have 3 dorms in the end (low, middle, high).
2. a refectory is the same as a cafeteria, or dining hall. That's an English/Australian term. We tend to use cafeteria just for places where you pay.
3. I'm choosing one for the contest, but I'm going to do them all. At this point in time, I don't think it matters which one we choose because while we're going for a theme each theme has many of the same subjects so if we go for the subject, then it's going to fit with the separate themes. (So yeah, I went with Science simply because it's got the most subjects, so the most opportunity for diversity and Science is my favourite :D)

I'll be interested to hear what Karen says though, because I've made assumptions here, and now that I think about it I should find out if those assumptions are valid.

Kiri

Edited to add: Wowsers! That sports dorm is awesome!

Simthing for everyone

"No Boom Today. Boom Tomorrow. Always Boom Tomorrow" - Ivanova (B5)
Having trouble with the Graphics card and Sims2? Feel free to pm me here, or in this forum at Leefish Sims 2 Graphic Cards
Pretty Space Pony
retired moderator
#93 Old 21st Jan 2014 at 8:37 AM
Yay, another entry That looks very high end and sporty Tiff, I like what you did with the roof!
Alchemist
#94 Old 21st Jan 2014 at 10:12 AM
hey when did you become 'just Jones'? Lol, I love the Phae's Minion part.

Yeah, and Inge gets to be a doily-type person. *sniff!*
And all I want to be is a ~Mimsy of Tea~, but *honk-sniff* I'm just not a special snowflake at allllll. *Cries. Sadness, sadness!*
Constant Contestant
retired moderator
Original Poster
#95 Old 21st Jan 2014 at 1:23 PM Last edited by karen lorraine : 21st Jan 2014 at 8:39 PM. Reason: added more options
Quote: Originally posted by Phaenoh
I'm so torn about this contest. I want to join, but I'm having a hard time reconciling the rules and requirements with what I have planned for my uni hood. This dorm shell is so small compared to all my other dorms! I had planned on making a more 'upscale' dorm that is more apartment style, but I was really wanting to enter my 'typical' dorm decor for this contest. And then there is that Arts/Science/Sports bit. My hood has them all! How do I choose? From the list of potential venues, I have the most interest in doing an art themed set, but if all the shells are going to be this little, I'd rather skate by doing sports.
  • How strict are you going to be about your construction rules? Would you allow an additional third floor to this shell provided I meet all the requirements in the first and second floors, and the additional third floor is just a duplicate of the middle floor? I don't think *any* of my uni buildings only have 2 floors.
  • Do you actually need 4 rooms, or is the goal to have a building that can have 4 occupants? I like making double rooms, but squeezing that many things into this small space is hard.
  • What is a refectory? Restaurant or cafeteria/dining hall?
  • How do you feel about building cheats for more commercial looking roofs or things that don't add any useable space?
  • Would you be willing to let the cat out of the bag enough to give a general idea of the future size of shells and lots? Will this lot be typical, or can we expect a wider range in sizes?

Sorry for the delay in responding, was too tired when I got in from choir last night, so am responding in my lunchbreak.

Thank you for your answers, Kiri.

(Edited) I'm sorry, no extra floors allowed. But if you wanted to use a functioning attic space, I have no problems with you doing that.
If you don't put in 4 rooms you will lose points, sorry.
Refectory is the dorm dining hall/cafeteria (as Kiri says, more of a British word)
Yes, I will allow a dummy floor that is part of the roof only.
Nope, not saying any more about future sizes of lots/shells, sorry.

Want a specific style of house or community building? Why not take a look at my profile and see what I build and then come ask me to make it!
Constant Contestant
retired moderator
Original Poster
#96 Old 21st Jan 2014 at 8:38 PM Last edited by karen lorraine : 21st Jan 2014 at 10:09 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Croutonian
Haven't decided yet if I'll have the time to commit for the whole thing, so don't want to download the lot as I'm running a bit low on hard drive space at the mo - but I'd like to plan it out on paper ready for if I do.
So could someone share the number of spaces from the edges of the lot? I think I have the right dimensions for the foundation/walls.

Hi Croutonian, sorry it's taken a while, needed to get time to do it but here is a pic with tile dimensions on for you. It would be good to have you on board if you've got the time.

Edit
The lot is 3x2, there are 4 empty tiles on the left and the front of the lot.
Screenshots

Doing all the things, and *mostly* not failing.
retired moderator
#97 Old 21st Jan 2014 at 8:48 PM
I think she was wanting to know how many tiles the foundation was from the street and the sides/edges of the lot. This picture is really helpful though, having the gridlines. If you can take the picture like this for the rest of the rounds, I know I'll at least appreciate it.

After hashing it out with jones, I think I have a plan now for my entry. I'm committing to it! Woo!
Constant Contestant
retired moderator
Original Poster
#98 Old 21st Jan 2014 at 8:58 PM
I think she was wanting to know how many tiles the foundation was from the street and the sides/edges of the lot. This picture is really helpful though, having the gridlines. If you can take the picture like this for the rest of the rounds, I know I'll at least appreciate it.
lol, have edited the post! Ok I will try to do them like that then :D

After hashing it out with jones, I think I have a plan now for my entry. I'm committing to it! Woo!
Look forward to seeing your entry, Phae

Field Researcher
#99 Old 21st Jan 2014 at 9:51 PM
Thanks Karen, that's super helpful - though, is it not a 2x3 lot?

Constant Contestant
retired moderator
Original Poster
#100 Old 21st Jan 2014 at 10:09 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Croutonian
Thanks Karen, that's super helpful - though, is it not a 2x3 lot?
You're right, Croutonian, it's a 2x3. The AGS info box lied to me.

Page 4 of 35