Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Scholar
#26 Old 22nd Jan 2014 at 4:01 PM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
Do you know where the 36 hour mod comes from? Do you find that a struggle at all? I know if I tried 24 that too many would fail out as my sims don't normally have a heap of skills and I only play to wants during uni.

I posted the link a bit earlier in this thread :D
-----> Faster University by Dave Luv

I personally don't find it a struggle at all, even though I've chosen the 24 hours option. The only trick is leveling up the required skills fast enough.
But I admit I was worried it was too much before I started using it, so I tested "easier" options first. I started with the 48 hours mod, thought it was too easy for my gameplay and switched to the 36 hours version for the next semester. Played it for a while but finally moved on to the 24 hours one.
Maybe you coud try the same? Try the larger one first, and see whether it suits your gameplay or you would prefer a bit shorter one, until you find the right one for you.
Advertisement
#27 Old 22nd Jan 2014 at 7:21 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ScottishRach
I play with 48 hour semesters and only 4 semesters (one for each year).

Which mod do you use that gives you only one semester per year? I'm very interested :P
Field Researcher
#28 Old 22nd Jan 2014 at 9:01 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Enki
So i decided I want to play rotation-style instead of following my whim. Or at least try it out. (Until now I just made sure children of the same generation stayed roughly within the same age category, but the "system" backfired on me when I played nationwide events and they happened in winter for one family and in summer for their neighbors in the same subhood. Ouch. Global warming is unpredictable and scary ). I think I´ll play each household for one season.

So here´s my question: How many days pass at your college for each day that passes in your main neighborhood?
A) One neighborhood day = One college day. I do not really consider this.
B) One neighborhood day = One college year
C) One neighborhood day = One college semester
D) other

I´m not just interested in your solution, but also very much in why you chose it, how it worked for you and your experiences with it so I can make an informed decision.

I play in week rotations in the main neighborhood (M800am to the following M759am).
Teens go to college at the end of the rotation in which they became a teen - whether they were a teen all week or just turned teen the Sunday before the rotation ended - this artificially equalizes in-game ages, but that doesn't bother me, as I like having full cohorts in each week's class.
I use a 36-hr semester adjuster
College lasts two sim weeks - week one is 1st and 2nd years, week two is 3rd and 4th years.

This works perfectly for me as it gives the students enough time to make friends, lovers, etc. without the overkill that 72-hr semesters are. It also solves a quirk I have in that I can't stand having adult parents with adult children - with two weeks at college and four weeks of adulthood, I can ensure that parents are elders by the time their children graduate and return to the village.

Chronologically, it doesn't make much sense at all, as it means that a sim is a YA in college for about half as long as they are an adult in total, but given how I use college to develop them, it suits my needs perfectly. I suspect many people don't play as long of rotations, nor do they enjoy college as much as I, or have the same issue with adult parent-children, so this style might not suit everyone, but I'm happy with it.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#29 Old 22nd Jan 2014 at 9:07 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Amura
I posted the link a bit earlier in this thread :D
-----> Faster University by Dave Luv

I personally don't find it a struggle at all, even though I've chosen the 24 hours option. The only trick is leveling up the required skills fast enough.

Thanks, and it's the same download as the 48 hour one that I use now.

That's the one problem, I only play to wants, so no skill want means no skill. I'm just thinking that 36 hours means 12 days? Which for me would be 6 years instead of 8. That would seem more normal.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Scholar
#30 Old 22nd Jan 2014 at 9:15 PM
Yes, it's the same download. Just gotta replace one file with another, and voilá! Everything moves faster! :

I usually play to wants too, but only until they get platinum.
For me, that means they're happy with the way their life is going... and they're so pleased that they're ready to work for whatever is "better" for them (skilling in those subjects good for their career, gaining enthusiasm in their fave hobby, etc.).

I guess that's how I would love my life to be: first being happy, then worrying about doing the right thing
Mad Poster
#31 Old 25th Jan 2014 at 11:00 AM
Quote: Originally posted by BeckyBoo8
Which mod do you use that gives you only one semester per year? I'm very interested :P

Probably the same one that I use - Cyjon's Semester Changes.

Like I said, I use Cyjon's Semester Changes, so university in my game is 8 days long, plus one day for the graduation period. I play each day at university as equal to one day for non-YA sims. I play like this for several reasons:

1. I don't want my sims to stay at university for too long as I like to "keep their lives moving forwards" - giving them the chance to have jobs, families, pets etc. If I played with 1-day semesters my sims wouldn't have time to gain the necessary skills/do their college work, as I play according to wants. So having four 2-day "years" with a final at the end of each one means that they're still only studying for 8 days but they have 48 hours to prepare for each exam. They also get less grant money, as they only get it after each final exam, so a maximum of $4,800 rather than $9,600. If a sim keeps their grant money I make them take out a "loan" which they start to pay back after graduation, so even having $4,800 to pay back can be quite a burden.
2. I like the fact that it means that 1 day at university is equal to 1 day outside of university - that means that university pregnancies and babies born to YA's don't get out of sync with non-university pregnancies/babies. This is especially important as many of my YA's live at home (if they're studying at the local "community college" rather than at "university") and the age syncing in their families would be out of whack.
3. I use mods to allow YA's in the main 'hood - so all of my sims become YA's at what would usually be the teen to adult birthday, unless I don't want them to go to college and use the SimBlender to age them directly to adult. When a sim graduates from university and ages into an adult I use the SimBlender to remove 9 days from the adult lifestage, so their age is kept in sync with other sims in the 'hood. If I sim drops out of university before completing the course I adjust their age accordingly.

That pretty much answers the original question(s), I think! :-)
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#32 Old 25th Jan 2014 at 11:12 AM
Another mod that I will have to look into. Thanks for the link Laura.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#33 Old 25th Jan 2014 at 4:11 PM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
Another mod that I will have to look into. Thanks for the link Laura.

You're welcome Jo :-)
Page 2 of 2