Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 17th Feb 2014 at 8:35 PM
Default Sleeping Beauty Castle Build
This is my first post so my apologies if I've overlooked anything regarding forum etiquette or placement of this thread.

Last year I began a build project that quickly became the most complex thing I'd ever attempted. An experiment with Cinderella Castle exploded into a full-blown recreation of the Magic Kingdom - lands, rides, shops and all. The sheer amount of CC, and the fact that I was working on a Mac didn't turn out well for me in the end. As of now, that world exists only in a few dozen screenshots, although I'm thinking of resurrecting some of the original lots on my new computer if and when I get the chance to do so. At the time, I had never taken it upon myself to post the world for others to critique and admire, and regretted that for some time.

Recently I've begun a second attempt. Initially scaling down my ambitions, with the simpler design of Sleeping Beauty's Castle in Anaheim. Since starting this build, I've expanded my scope, taking on inspiration from all three of the Disney castles, as well as many European chateaus. I'm at a point now where I'm unsure how else to improve or expand. Any comments, critiques or feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Screenshots
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 17th Feb 2014 at 8:58 PM
Wow! Just wow! It looks so incredible! *_* It just looks the same. :o You should do the Disney Park. Haha.
Instructor
#3 Old 17th Feb 2014 at 9:06 PM
Hi!
The architecture is really beautiful. I am just staring and I cant figure out how you managed to build something like this. :O I think you should include a comparison picture of your house and the real castle. So we can compare it and help you.

I think that the pink color is way to bright. I would maybe use different shade of pink. Something like powder pink : https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/...WZMO6B479iM0NWF

Also if this is what you are creating: http://img.groundspeak.com/waymarki...a935227554d.JPG
I noticed that there is a lot of gold color involved and I cant see it on your castle. I actually think that most of the stuff like windows and decorations should be golden instead of white.

The roof color is amazing match! Good job!

I really like the landscaping but the trees are really strange I mean the square ones. Is it in the real castle?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 17th Feb 2014 at 9:29 PM Last edited by Devea : 17th Feb 2014 at 10:24 PM.
Thank you so much for the quick feedback! I agree about the trim for the windows and architectural details (It's been a real challenge finding the right cc, let alone getting the colour scheme right!) and the pink is definitely a tad too bright - lol. As for the landscaping, I've never been particularly good at arranging plants and gardens, so I appreciate the positive reinforcement! The trees are heavily influenced by the castle at Disneyland Paris. I've attached an image for comparison below:
Screenshots
Inventor
#5 Old 18th Feb 2014 at 8:00 PM
*gasps for breath* This ... is .... awesome! *gasps* It's hard to give feedback on this since it makes me speechless ... *gasps* ... almost.

Where do the round stairs and round fence-like shrubs come from - is that CC or part of some EP or SP that I misses until today? Looks great. Maybe you could add the golden parts with sort of roof decoration, e.g. fences or other stuff that matches the original decoration parts in golden colour. VrnkczP is right about the pink colour of the castle. Less pink-ish and a bit more old rose, I think.

As for the landscaping... looks good, pretty much like the original place. Good work. Maybe a little bit of terrain paint... a little bit of dirt under the trees... a little shadow along the wall parts ... just to make it look more real.

Keep up the good work!
Instructor
#6 Old 18th Feb 2014 at 8:54 PM
Hi!
So these trees are really there... Well I still think that they look strange with the castle even in the real version. In my opinion they are too geometrical too match such a magical/fantasy mostly round - shaped castle. If i were you I would delete them and decorate the hill with stones in the same way and shape as it is in the picture. I think it looks really pretty and it can be achieved by placing the base game stones close to one another with move objects cheat on.

If you really want to keep these trees there then I think you should still add the stone decoration because it kind of connects the castle with the surrounding hill.
(I am sorry that I am still talking about the trees but it really bothers me they kind of look like they are from that "minecraft" game)

I agree with Yogi-Tea that more work with terrain paint will make this awesome building even better.

I am really looking forward to any update of your lot Its very beautiful.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 18th Feb 2014 at 10:05 PM
Hello all, once again, thank you so much for the kind comments and suggestions. I altered the colour scheme last night, and played around with ornamenting the towers with some golden sculptures... I'll have to keep looking for the right roof décor. Here are some photo updates of the castle in it's new rose and gold livery.

Yogi-Tea, the stairs and hedges are scenery objects by Lunasims. You can find them here:

http://lunasimslulamai.jimdo.com/estructuras/ and here: http://lunasimslulamai.jimdo.com/mezclas/mezclas-11/

They can all be found under 'Sculptures' in game.

VrnkczP, now that you mention Minecraft, I see what you mean, which is a pity because I did really did like the look of the topiaries (and it took me forever to figure out how to build them, lol) Anyway, I definitely plan to add the rocks and terrain in to give it a more 'sculpted' and 'mountainous' appearance.
Screenshots
Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 19th Feb 2014 at 4:03 AM
A few teaser shots and some fun in Photoshop. I have yet to find a nice way to 'close' off the lot with the hedges and footpaths, and there is still a lot of work to be done with terrain painting, placing rocks, outdoor lights, and landscaping. That said, I'm inching closer to starting the interior!... Let me know what you guys think.
Screenshots
Instructor
#9 Old 23rd Feb 2014 at 9:20 AM
Hi!
I love the gold accents which you added. I like the framed wallpaper which you are using on some parts of your castle but after seeing this picture:

I think that the dark wood on the wallpaper should be changed to the dark pink color on the picture. I would maybe use some paint pattern and change the color :

Is your lot meant to be residental? I would like to see a floor plan.
Did you managed to "close" your lot?
Screenshots
#10 Old 28th Feb 2014 at 4:38 AM
oh my goodness, I'm without words! This is so creative and so refreshingly new! I simply can't add anything other than what Yogi-Tea said, but just wanted to cheer you on
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#11 Old 28th Feb 2014 at 5:50 AM
As a sims 2 builder I am blown away by your beautiful building. My sims 3 game lags so badly that I wouldn't even attempt to put such a large lot into it, but wow, you must upload this for those who can. The only thing that stood out to me were the square trees. I saw someone else mention it, but my first thought was Minecraft. I would change those

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Test Subject
Original Poster
#12 Old 7th Mar 2014 at 6:10 PM
Hi all! My apologies for not checking in much. Life recently has been a little hectic. I have begun some interior work, notably the entry hall and kitchens. I've also begun the library, but something in there seems to be corrupt - I've been avoiding that room until I can figure out what it is and get rid of it.
Crowkeeper, I'm still resolving much of the castle's interior layout and routing issues, and with all of the upper level cc in the way, getting a top-down interior shot is problematic. I'll get on it as soon as I am satisfied with the lower levels of the castle.
Hopefully I'll have more work to show soon. Enjoy for now!

Current issues:

-The interior layout is a mess/major work in progress

-The terraforming around the moat is not transitioning smoothly from land to water, with blocky, shallow sections brushing up against the ground. Is there any sort of solution to this? Terraforming seems to make the problem worse, with the water in the moat vanishing completely. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!
Screenshots
Lab Assistant
#13 Old 7th Mar 2014 at 9:04 PM Last edited by Titi022002 : 9th Mar 2014 at 1:42 PM.
Beautiful! But the problem with water is kind a weird, maybe it's just a bug on your computer, and it won't be a bug on people's computer!
dodgy builder
#14 Old 7th Mar 2014 at 9:09 PM
The pond problem may be connected to the foundation being too close, or the ground being too high. Have you lifted the ground or is it lowered? I heard someone putting the pond at the base of the lowest ground for the foundation that solved it. She had a lower area at the back of the house.
Instructor
#15 Old 8th Mar 2014 at 3:17 PM
Hi!
Its nice to see you back here

I have a question.
The kitchen counters which you are using seem to be a pay item from vitasims is that right?
I am not sure if you want to upload the castle here but if yes then you should know that pay items cant be used.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#16 Old 9th Mar 2014 at 3:15 AM
Hey Crowkeeper,

I thought I'd heard that rule thrown around before... they are from Vitasims, so I'll be sure to replace them if I can find something else that looks suitably fairytale-esque.

Volvenom,

The lot around the foundation is flat, and the foundations are at least two tiles from the water on all sides. I haven't done much terraforming aside from the mountain and the moat itself, so it might, for all I know, be an issue with my graphics.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#17 Old 29th Mar 2014 at 6:24 PM
Hi everyone,

Unfortunately I have nothing new to update with as of now. I'm just posting to let you know that I haven't given up on the project. I'm hoping to find a few hours this week to spend on the castle so I can get some new photos out!

If there's ever a time where I haven't posted in a few weeks, it's not because I'm stuck, or I've stopped - It's simply because my life is a tad demanding. Most working students should know what I mean. lol

Still trying to figure out a way around the water glitch - there's hardly anything online about it, so I'm wondering if the problem is unique to my computer. As well, if anyone can recommend a good, whimsical or French influenced kitchen set (that is FREE), I wood be very grateful!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#18 Old 20th Apr 2014 at 6:01 AM
I've made some significant changes to the lot over the course of this weekend (midterms are over and I've finally gotten some time to relax)!

The area behind the castle has become something of an extension of Fantasyland (as it would appear in the real parks). At this point I'm thinking of leaving the lot commercial and designated as a large park (those who wish to use it for residential, can always still do so). The back area would be filled in with the remaining building facades and landscaping.

I've built a replica of Sir Lancelot's Carousel, as well as shop fronts that could stand in for Sir Mickey's or Bibbity Bobbity Boutique. I haven't decided how to furnish this area quite yet, but I'm leaning more and more towards imitating the look and feel of Disneyland, as opposed to just the castle in a fairytale setting.

If I could get some opinions on this, that would be great.

Also, I'm still chipping away at the castle interiors. The dining room is now complete as well as the library and a guest room. I will try to post those soon.
Screenshots
Test Subject
Original Poster
#19 Old 6th Jul 2014 at 5:12 PM Last edited by Devea : 6th Jul 2014 at 9:49 PM.
Default Progress Updates
Hello all!

My sincere sorry's for not checking in very often. I'm in the midst of switching computers again and the process of exporting lots and reinstalling everything has been a royal pain in the ass. That said, I have inched my way farther into this project which has me very excited.

This concept has been more than a year in the making for me, and before I get any further, I would just like to commend user Dangmal for their gorgeous recreation of the park. I don't know if there's any sort of faux pas in two creators working on the same subject simultaneously or if I'm just thinking too deeply into things. I suppose what with all of the 'Frozen' themed items and sims being made, it's no real issue. Dangmal, you have inspired me to trek further into this undertaking, and for that I thank you!

Since the spring, I have moved the castle lot into CAW and have begun tacking on lots to create the 'park' around the castle. By the end, each lot will correspond to certain themed areas of the park (i.e. Main Street, Fantasyland, Adventureland, etc.). I've been filling in the gaps with terrain paint, however the results are not turning out as crisply as I would have liked - my goal obviously is for a sense of seamless immersion in the park environment.

At the moment, I am about 20% finished the exterior facades of Main Street, and I also have the park hub built and landscaped. In the end, I would like to see each lot available as its own commercial or residential download, with the individual option of assembling the park piece-by-piece available as well.

I appreciate any comments, critique, advice or suggestions for things to include.

*EDIT

I have since built much of the exterior of Gibson Girls Ice Cream on Main Street and taken some additional screenshots of the area.
Lab Assistant
#20 Old 6th Jul 2014 at 6:57 PM
Actually, you should make a Disney inspired world instead of couple of lots.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#21 Old 7th Jul 2014 at 4:04 AM
Titi022002, that is sort of the direction I am taking things in. I am essentially making a world, just not in the traditional sense of a neighborhood in The Sims 3. There are no roads, and at present, no inhabitant sims (although, with SilFantasy's Disney CAS outfits I don't see why I can't populate the world with a few characters). At the moment, I am just concerned with recreating the look and feel of the parks as accurately as possible. But, who knows - incorporating more neighborhood elements is always a future possibility.
Lab Assistant
#22 Old 7th Jul 2014 at 9:06 AM
Oh ok! It's a good project you're doing, keep it up.
Instructor
#23 Old 7th Jul 2014 at 9:35 AM
I know this probably sounds a bit OT, but isn't there a way to label a custom world as a Vacation world Sims can travel to ( like Egypt, France and China ) ?
Because even though a Disneyland themed world could present some limitations for the life of Sims, a Disneyland vacation world would be one of the most awesome things ever.

Me, me, me against them, me against enemies, me against friends, somehow they all seem to become one, a sea full of sharks and they all smell blood.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#24 Old 7th Jul 2014 at 4:04 PM
Gabrymato, the thought had never occurred to me. I love that idea, but the way to designate a vacation world is a little tricky. I would need to go in and edit the world file info and then jump through a couple of hoops in the framework to get the game to recognize it.
I don't think there is a core mod that allows a sim to book a custom vacation world through their phone, which further complicates things.
I suppose I could use Twallan's Traveler Mod as a workaround, but even then, it wouldn't be the same experience as visiting one of the WA worlds.
On the other hand, I found this thread, and it may help: http://modthesims.info/t/421319

Short answer: It's possible, but I have little idea how to do it right.
Lab Assistant
#25 Old 23rd Jul 2014 at 9:36 PM
Will this be available for download? It looks incredible!
Page 1 of 2