Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#26 Old 28th Feb 2014 at 1:07 PM
Lending isn't the same as giving.

christmas fear - they're increasingly releasing copies of the games which can only be launched through Origin. They control Origin, so if they lock Origin so it won't launch TS3 any more, then they'll have shut down TS3.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#27 Old 28th Feb 2014 at 5:10 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Nysha
Lending isn't the same as giving.

christmas fear - they're increasingly releasing copies of the games which can only be launched through Origin. They control Origin, so if they lock Origin so it won't launch TS3 any more, then they'll have shut down TS3.

what if you didn't get your game from origin, just from a cd?

also, i wonder why they care so much if you lend the game out to your friend or something. what business is it of theirs?
Site Helper
#28 Old 28th Feb 2014 at 5:40 PM Last edited by Mootilda : 1st Mar 2014 at 12:22 AM. Reason: Fixed fuzzy math
That's exactly right. It's their business. They sell the game and make profits on those sales. That's how they make their livings. If your <X> best friends are all using your copy, then EA has potentially lost <X> sales.
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#29 Old 28th Feb 2014 at 6:28 PM
I am not quite sure of your math there

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Mad Poster
#30 Old 28th Feb 2014 at 6:29 PM
Very grateful to not have anything to do with Origin.
Field Researcher
#31 Old 28th Feb 2014 at 10:05 PM
Quote: Originally posted by BL00DIEDHELL
Very grateful to not have anything to do with Origin.

I purchased a few games from them (Origin) because they offer 50-60% off! I've not had any issues; however, I still don't have "Into the Future" and, with that being the final game, thinking I'll probably pay more to get the physical CD, just in case.
Mad Poster
#32 Old 28th Feb 2014 at 10:08 PM
Yeah, I'm normally tighter than a gnat's ass but I'd be glad to pay a bit more to have a physical disc and flip Origin the bird (a BIT more, EA! Put away those boners before you start thinking of charging exorbitant amounts for CDs).
Top Secret Researcher
#33 Old 28th Feb 2014 at 10:29 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Dabih
So my husband bought the game and gave it to me for Christmas. We broke the terms of tne license agreement already

Ummm, no.

3. Transfer. You may make a one time permanent transfer to all your rights to install and use the Software to another individual or legal entity on the following conditions: (a) you also transfer this License and all copies of the Software; (b) you retain no copies of the Software, upgrades, updates or prior versions; and (c) the receiving party accepts the terms and conditions of this License.
Quote: Originally posted by christmas fear
what if you didn't get your game from origin, just from a cd?

also, i wonder why they care so much if you lend the game out to your friend or something. what business is it of theirs?

When you purchase the disc, you are not purchasing the rights to the software. You are only purchasing a license to use the software under the terms of the EULA.

TS2 and TS3: Where adult sims potty train their toddlers.
TS4: Where adult sims make Angry Poops.

Which game is made for the juvenile minded?
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#34 Old 1st Mar 2014 at 3:10 AM
Even DVD versions of many games nowadays require Origin or equivalent. You wouldn't believe how pissed I was when I moved into my new flat, didn't have an internet connection, bought Rome II on disc so I could play it straight away... and all that was on the disk was an application which downloads the install files from some stupid server

sims 1, that's a great option if you can't log into Origin for some reason. It doesn't help if EA surreptitiously patch Origin so that it will no longer launch TS3, though; the fact that the Origin message pops up demonstrates that the game requires Origin and cannot run without it.

Alchemist
#35 Old 1st Mar 2014 at 11:24 AM
Quote: Originally posted by sims 1
ok guys and girls I finally found out how to play the sims 3 offline without origin interfering to test this theory unplug your internet connection and click on the sims 3 icon like usual and just ignore the ! message in origin and enter your password and user name as you would online... ...I found out just log in anyway and ignore the message...

Okay, so, am I the only one here who doesn't need to go online to play Sims 3? Like I said in my previous post, I never go online to play; don't even look at Origin's direction and it never prompts me to do so. I just klick TS3W.exe and play. Otherwise, I have really lost something in translation here.
One Minute Ninja'd
#36 Old 1st Mar 2014 at 11:32 AM
Quote: Originally posted by varpunen
Okay, so, am I the only one here who doesn't need to go online to play Sims 3? Like I said in my previous post, I never go online to play; don't even look at Origin's direction and it never prompts me to do so. I just klick TS3W.exe and play. Otherwise, I have really lost something in translation here.

My setup is the same as yours. I think it's because we got physical media back when it was first released. It seems that later releases of retail copies requires an Origin account for the install.

And of course, if you buy the digital version from Origin, they obviously own your soul. Really. You even agreed to it. What, you mean you didn't read the EULA before clicking I Agree? Personally, I always read the fine print whenever I have to sign a contract with Satan.
Alchemist
#37 Old 1st Mar 2014 at 12:15 PM
Quote: Originally posted by eskie227
My setup is the same as yours. I think it's because we got physical media back when it was first released. It seems that later releases of retail copies requires an Origin account for the install.

Could be. I only have the game on disk up to Late Night. All the Ep's and SP's after that are from Origin. Though, when I updated my computer a while back, I installed all the game parts directly from Origin.
Forum Resident
#38 Old 1st Mar 2014 at 1:37 PM
You see why I refuse to go touch origin with a 10-foot pole? Personally, I'd rather buy a used DVD and avoid giving a dime to EAxis.

~Someday my prince will come... And he better not bring all his hood's character files with him.~
@)->----- Place this ASCII flower in your sig as a thank you to all of our amazing moderators at MTS!
TS3 vs. Your CPU: The Solution
Shameless plug for my fledgeling Simblr here
Scholar
#39 Old 1st Mar 2014 at 4:13 PM
Quote: Originally posted by varpunen
I just klick TS3W.exe and play. Otherwise, I have really lost something in translation here.

For some reason, that never works for me. I have to use the launcher. Of course, they're still nagging me to "update," but I ignore them. I have told my computer to block communication with ea.com, origin.com, and sims3.com, but I still get those messages when I load my game (which I have to do by double-clicking my SN desk Icon - and it always opens that launcher.)

I have never bought anyting from the EA store or from origin. In order to cut communication, would I have to uninstall, and then only reinstall with my broadband disconnected?

And DAMN, I would love to load without their launcher. I bought my base game in 2011, and my EPs in 2012, and 2013. Did EA program the later discs to force communication with Origin in order to launch?
Top Secret Researcher
#40 Old 1st Mar 2014 at 4:18 PM
Quote: Originally posted by tsyokawe
For some reason, that never works for me. I have to use the launcher.

Have you downloaded the NoCD mod?
Scholar
#41 Old 1st Mar 2014 at 4:32 PM Last edited by tsyokawe : 1st Mar 2014 at 7:00 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by hugbug993
Have you downloaded the NoCD mod?

I thought I did have that - I thought I'd done all that, but that it didn't work.

But right now, when I looked for it in my package folder, that mod wasn't in there. I must've downloaded it, and forgot to move the file to my mods.

oops.

nevermind.

eta: because twallan's magic mod in no way negates the fact that EA is evil:

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#42 Old 3rd Mar 2014 at 6:32 AM Last edited by sims 1 : 4th Mar 2014 at 5:48 PM.
well just to say I am glad I found that EALU it came off the sims 3 fast lane stuff pack it says EALU before you install the game. because I got mad when I thought of how cheap EA has been with their other online games and thought that the world should know this because it has been in almost forever nobody figured that this could really happen to us sim 3 vary well could be shutdown maybe if EA reads this post (HERE) they will let us play all the sims game whenever wherever because we still have to buy the game to play it right. but like Nysha said and I knew this even before I posted here on this topic. modern day game companies want you to spend more money by forcing you to pay for their newest software so people can say ooo ahhh what a shiny new box gotta have gotta have!

: the whole reason for this thread is for EA to read and hopefully prevent the sims 4 from replacing the sims 3 access just assuming scence this is what EA did in the past they won't make the same mistake again. or we will show them how ugly we really can be just as ugly we love your game but your attitude sucks so far

EA you can hate my guts all you want but really I am helping you, yes think about it more games means more money in your pocket. I love the sims series and want to keep playing it forever and that what this was all about. like I said before if EA shuts any older sim game chances are EA will be lost forever.
Lab Assistant
#43 Old 3rd Mar 2014 at 2:19 PM
Quote: Originally posted by tsyokawe
I thought I did have that - I thought I'd done all that, but that it didn't work.

But right now, when I looked for it in my package folder, that mod wasn't in there. I must've downloaded it, and forgot to move the file to my mods.

oops.

nevermind.

eta: because twallan's magic mod in no way negates the fact that EA is evil:

I hate carrots, I mean, I really HATE carrots and I really, really HATE carrots when I cook them and eat them. WE should kill the farmer.
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#44 Old 3rd Mar 2014 at 2:36 PM
Step 1: Pick up crack pipe.
Step 2: Remove socks from crack pipe.
Step 3: Set down socks and crack pipe.
Step 4: Back away slowly.

Forum Resident
#45 Old 3rd Mar 2014 at 4:17 PM
Isn't this kind of a thing a standard for EULAs?

It's not like shutting down any of EA's servers would actually prevent people from playing the game or anything anyway. You don't need to be online to launch the game or anything. The only problem would be, if Origin's servers shut down then people wouldn't be able to access the games that they bought that aren't currently installed. Clauses like this are why services like Steam and Origin make it very clear that they aren't selling you a game, they're selling you the "right" to play that game, which keeps their asses covered if they have to shut down servers or if the servers just aren't paying for themselves anymore.
Mad Poster
#46 Old 3rd Mar 2014 at 6:10 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Nysha
Step 1: Pick up crack pipe.
Step 2: Remove socks from crack pipe.
Step 3: Set down socks and crack pipe.
Step 4: Back away slowly.

But I don't have any crack! What am I meant to put in it instead?
Mad Poster
#47 Old 3rd Mar 2014 at 6:20 PM Last edited by lil bag2 : 3rd Mar 2014 at 6:36 PM.
I've never needed Origin to play the sims. I have a physical and digital copy of the base game (currently using the digital version) and only three or four EPs were bought with Origin but I'm stil able to play the sims without being logged in. Maybe it's cuz I don't open the game through the launcher :/
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#48 Old 4th Mar 2014 at 5:46 PM
Quote: Originally posted by sims 1
well just to say I am glad I found that EALU it came off the sims 3 fast lane stuff pack it says EALU before you install the game. because I got mad when I thought of how cheap EA has been with their other online games and thought that the world should know this because it has been in almost forever nobody figured that this could really happen to us sim 3 vary well could be shutdown maybe if EA reads this post (HERE) they will let us play all the sims game whenever wherever because we still have to buy the game to play it right. but like Nysha said and I knew this even before I posted here on this topic. modern day game companies want you to spend more money by forcing you to pay for their newest software so people can say ooo ahhh what a shiny new box gotta have gotta have!

: the whole reason for this thread is for EA to read and hopefully prevent the sims 4 from replacing the sims 3 access just assuming scence this is what EA did in the past they won't make the same mistake again. or we will show them how ugly we really can be just as ugly we love your game but your attitude sucks so far

EA you can hate my guts all you want but really I am helping you , yes think about it more games means more money in your pocket. I love the sims series and want to keep playing it forever and that what this was all about. like I said before if EA shuts any older sim game chances are EA will be lost forever.

I simply am not sticking up for EA but if they stop making the sims because of me I know a lot of people will hate me even more both EA and us heck I even hate myself most of the time. I figured that with only negative feedback from the sims from us fans will only temp EA from stopping the sims from their game building. but I'll have to admit the sims 3 was a disaster I mean only one neighborhood and having to pay for other neighborhoods BOOOOOO that was a bad move on your part EA
Forum Resident
#49 Old 4th Mar 2014 at 5:50 PM
I highly doubt that EA is going to stop making one of their cash cow series' anytime soon just because one person actually took the time to read the EULA.
Top Secret Researcher
#50 Old 4th Mar 2014 at 5:51 PM
sims 1: I hate to break it to you, but EA doesn't care. They've been voted Worst Company two years in a row. They've done nothing about it. One person complaining about the EULA isn't going to make a difference.
Locked thread | Locked by: HystericalParoxysm Reason: Whargarbl.
Page 2 of 3