Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Scholar
#26 Old 5th Apr 2014 at 8:30 PM
Like varpunen, I don't find it very appealing either. Exceptions being the Charmed ones and Cole (from the Charmed TV show).
Advertisement
Forum Resident
#27 Old 5th Apr 2014 at 8:39 PM
I made a selfsim and one of my husband. The hardest part was to find hair styles that are close. But what's funny is that since then, I found a sims hair style that I liked so much I took a picture of it to the salon to have my hair done that way. )
Test Subject
#28 Old 5th Apr 2014 at 9:05 PM
I read a lot of stories, mostly legacy stories, and many writers tend to put their simselves along with their legacy sims, to interact with them as neighbours, often using it to tell the story in creative way. So I'm pretty used to the idea of playing simselves and don't find it creepy at all. Maybe that's why I got the idea of playing my simself in testing games, to try out things "personally". Though I must say I've never felt really connected with her until that Supernatural game.

Anyway, when I wrote the earlier post, I suddenly felt so nostalgic, that I started looking for the pictures...

Forum Resident
#29 Old 5th Apr 2014 at 9:17 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Nauthiz.
The funniest random thing - I put a piano in the wedding chapel thinking that the game would assign an NPC pianist, but sadly it didn't work. But as the guests gathered to watch the ceremony, Martha (my friend's simself) autonomously sat at the piano... She didn't have any skill points, but it didn't bothered me at all. I immediately wrote to real-life Martha:
"Your simself just made me cry..."
"What did she do?!" asked my friend.
"I think she played a wedding march..."
[/SPOILER]

I love running max autonomy to see what sims will do on their own. My biggest problem is that when left to their own devices, my selfsim and my hubbie usually end up making babies! Okay, so I raise them and try to get their skills up so I can feel good about kicking them out... but while I'm playing the kid to get his or her skills up, guess who is autonomously WooHooing again!!!
Mad Poster
#30 Old 5th Apr 2014 at 9:23 PM
I made a self sim as soon as the game released, but I discovered that I could never let her age up or die. I found that to be too disturbing. She did die a couple of times by accident, though. Also, I've lost count on how many kids she's had. For the most part, she's been faithful to one sim...at least in my game, anyway. (A friend of mine downloaded her, maxed out her breast slider, and then turned her into a real whore.)

♥ }i{ Monarch of the Receptacle Refugees }i{ ♥
Space Pony
Original Poster
#31 Old 6th Apr 2014 at 2:29 AM
I don't have any photos of me during that time but here's my Avatar when "UL" came out & I tried out the Uni town. I modified his looks (removed his facial hair, changed his hairstyle & I turned him into a Young Adult from an Adult) so he looked like me when I was younger & was still in IRL Uni.

I actually sported that same hairstyle back then too bad I don't have any other photos of myself as proof other than the faded photo I have on my College ID. I can't scan it though as I don't have a scanner & I tried taking a photo using a digital camera but the quality was absolute crap
Inventor
#32 Old 6th Apr 2014 at 8:00 AM
Quote: Originally posted by ~MadameButterfly~
I made a self sim as soon as the game released, but I discovered that I could never let her age up or die.
Same to me. It's kinda weird to see yourself as an old version of yourself and die. At the other side I must say it is also boring NOT to age up because after a while your sim has all the knowledge he could have. When world adventures EP came out I disabled aging for my self-sim because I wanted to explore all the tombs and travel around endlessly. Currently I play with my avatar (aging enabled) but it's rather to playtest the lots I build than true gameplay for fun.
Mad Poster
#33 Old 6th Apr 2014 at 1:09 PM
This is why I stopped playing with her. I started to get bored with the aging off. So I just started to make random sims in CAS with the hope that their death wouldn't be an issue for me. But the truth is, I still don't let them die. I bin them before they get old, and I either put them in a new town, at the fresh start of their lives, or play with their aged up kids. I guess I have a really hard time letting sims go.

Top Secret Researcher
#34 Old 6th Apr 2014 at 7:19 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ~MadameButterfly~
(A friend of mine downloaded her, maxed out her breast slider, and then turned her into a real whore.)

With your selfsim? Ew.
Lab Assistant
#35 Old 6th Apr 2014 at 7:24 PM
I think I tried to create a Sim doppelganger in Sims 2, but never in Sims 3. I've never done any family or friends though. I get very attached to my Sims, and if I watched anyone I know catch on fire, or grow old and die, it would really suck the fun out of things.

The game spawned this one guy with a goatee and I thought "Whoa, he looks like me!"

Check out my Legacy Challenge:
Chapter 41: Do Babies Eat Sand?
Alchemist
#36 Old 6th Apr 2014 at 8:07 PM
Quote: Originally posted by MysticCandy
I have made a couple sims based off characters from live action shows, but I'm always thinking of the character and not the actor when I do that.

Even though I don't want to make a self-sim, I too like to make sims based on my favorite characters from tv shows, movies or games.
One Minute Ninja'd
#37 Old 6th Apr 2014 at 8:23 PM
Why would I want to place a self sim in a world where there are no financial worries, you can have multiple romantic interests without having to skulk around (well, with mods you can), and divorces do not require attorneys, you only have to say "I divorce you" once, and you're done? Even under strict Islamic law you would have to say it three times. Do you really want me to get that depressed watching my happy go lucky self sim bumble through Heaven?

I mean, outside of some bizarre event like a meteor, there's not a lot of grief that happens to sims. Unless you REALLY work at it. And could you really go out of your way to make your self sim suffer life's indignities?
is going to be a cat when she grows up.
retired moderator
#38 Old 6th Apr 2014 at 8:47 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Yogi-Tea
Same to me. It's kinda weird to see yourself as an old version of yourself and die.

So turn aging off until you actually become elderly--you'll probably get a good 20-30 years out of your sim before they need to have that last birthday cake! :D

Strangers in a Strange Land--The Shin Yi Legacy | last updated 3.7.2014
My Simblr | Is probably NSFW
Mad Poster
#39 Old 6th Apr 2014 at 9:12 PM
Quote: Originally posted by hugbug993
With your selfsim? Ew.

Yep. And to make matters worse, when I talked to my friend over the phone, I could hear my self sim in the background. It felt like a hostage situation. My friend has the evil trait. I am not even kidding about that. I was traumatized for a week. -.-

Soooo, if a person is going to share their self sim, sometimes it's best not to know what happens to them.

Top Secret Researcher
#40 Old 6th Apr 2014 at 10:16 PM
Oh, there was the one time I made a self-sim of my cousin. She was visiting and I decided to make one so she could explore the game a little. Two minutes later, the sim was dead. She got hit by a meteor. That was the only time I ever had a sim die by meteor.

Strangely enough, my cousin was still upset even after I sold the meteor for a ton of money.
Scholar
#41 Old 6th Apr 2014 at 10:26 PM
My first families in TS3 were copies of various people I knew in the past. Admittedly though, they weren't perfect.
Scholar
#42 Old 7th Apr 2014 at 12:48 PM
Oh, yes. I have loved creating self-Sims since the very first time I ever played The Sims. I hardly ever play as them, but I find them interesting, because most self-Sims I make are prettier versions of me and represent styles I like(d) at the time, so they tell a lot about me from those times... So they're like little time-capsules. lol And now I have them going back 10 years...

♫ Keeping this here until EA gives us a proper playable woodwind/brass instrument ♫
For now, though, my decorative Bassoon conversion for TS4. =)
Theorist
#43 Old 7th Apr 2014 at 5:40 PM
I'm probably one of the few, if only simmers who has never created a self-sim. Maybe it's low self-esteem or just generally not being fond of my appearance, but I've never done it. It would require looking at a photo or mirror for far longer than I'd care to. My avatar is definitely NOT me (he's my mafia guy because I loved The Sopranos).
I also tend to like to make what to me are very good-looking sims or very ugly sims, so I don't often make sims of people I know because I don't know anyone who is very good-looking nor very ugly. One exception being a good friend from high school and his wife who are very ugly, I did make them into sims, and I'm also really glad they are not simmers and on this forum to see that I said they are very ugly. Although maybe they don't know they're ugly so they would have no clue I'm talking about them anyway.

My inspiration are usually celebrity sims or people I see in real life that are either very good-looking or exceptionally ugly.

BTW, I really dig your self-sim and your unique style, CRV13!

Resident wet blanket.
Field Researcher
#44 Old 7th Apr 2014 at 11:26 PM
I have no issue with *making* Sims that look like myself and people I know, but due to a vague superstitious feeling I wouldn't be cool with playing them. I'd do photoshoots or something maybe. Instead, I make characters I've already written about, mostly so I have a definite model for them and can focus better when I think about their physical and character traits. It's simplification that can lead to expansion.
Field Researcher
#45 Old 8th Apr 2014 at 12:53 AM
I have yet to create a Self-Sim. Mainly because CAS crashes all the time. On Saints Row 4 I once made an uncanny valley recreation of myself. And on TS2 I created my Dog.
Top Secret Researcher
#46 Old 8th Apr 2014 at 3:51 AM
I could play a sim that looks exactly like me. In fact, there is one available here on MTS. For reference, here's what I look like.

TS2 and TS3: Where adult sims potty train their toddlers.
TS4: Where adult sims make Angry Poops.

Which game is made for the juvenile minded?
Test Subject
#47 Old 8th Apr 2014 at 6:43 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Wojtek
I play my self-sim on a regular basis and it's fun. I don't feel weird when my sim grows up, ages and eventually dies of old age. All those processes are natural

I don't know whether he's similar but you can always take a look at Yearbook :D

Worjtek, which skin do you use for your sim? Thanks.
Scholar
#48 Old 8th Apr 2014 at 10:48 PM
I tend to create fictional sims. I don't go as far as actual roleplaying or making up a detailed background. It is just a starting point and then the game itself will fill this in. When I make up a sim, I start thinking about what they are going to do ingame and if they have a family and what traits would be fun to go with that. This can be any gender, occupation and traits. When making this up, a look comes to mind too. I always like stereotypical clumsy heroes with sparkling teeth that do silly heroic poses and megalomaniacal villains that keep sharks with headmounted lasers in underground basins. Especially if it is made look very lame. So the neighbourhood usually have those too. But also normal stuff like artists or business sims. So basically a mix of extreme and normalish. I always play with high free will, because that is just a main source of entertainment for me

I find this especially fun in TS3, because I really like to start over with a new sim/family. So then in TS3 my old sims (or children if they passed away) are still around in the same neighbourhood. Slowly the neighbourhood is getting occupied with very different families of sims, but all with a history I am familiar with because I used to play them.

But I guess in all that you will find my traits or how I would wish I could be hidden in bits and bobs of all those different sims:p
Lab Assistant
#49 Old 9th Apr 2014 at 4:15 AM
Oh god I feel so silly. All you guys have all these awesome characters and sim selves and I'm just over here with my anime characters. Lol.

Oh boy.
Field Researcher
#50 Old 9th Apr 2014 at 6:43 AM
i did once but i got frustrated halfway through the cas stage and then got bored while i actually played her (me?). these are probably both bad signs.
Page 2 of 3