Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Toaster Strudel Addict
retired moderator
Original Poster
#1 Old 24th Apr 2014 at 6:14 PM Last edited by justJones : 28th Jun 2014 at 3:58 PM.
Default Trading Spaces - Sims Edition (TS2 and TS3)

Qualifications to Host: hosted Pleasantview Home Makeover and Build a Business contests.

Concept: Each round, contestants will build a room shell, then the shells will be swapped with other contestants for decorating.

Rules:
  • This contest is for both games (assuming we get at least 2 contestants per game)
  • Only free or store CC is allowed.
  • Pictures should be big and clear. See MTS Guidelines
  • 5 pictures per room, one must be a floor plan shot. Please post all but one pic under a spoiler tag.
  • No walls may be added or removed when decorating
  • For shells: you may build a small "fake hallway" room if you are using an arch instead of a door, outside of the allowed floor tiles.
  • Late entries will lose half a point per day they are late.

Requirements: Any skill level welcome! A basic knowledge of taking good screenshots is suggested. You must also know how to package and zip a lot.

Timeline: 4 rounds. The application round is round 1. For round 1 you will have 2 weeks to submit your room shell, and then after all the "applications" are in and shuffled around, there will be 1 week to decorate. Each round there after will be 2 weeks: 6 days to build shell, 1 day for me to shuffle, and then 7 days to decorate.

How it works:

Each round you will be given a type of room, i.e. living room, to build a shell for. You will be given size limitations, and a couple other requirements, like a certain number of windows. Then you will attach your zipped (or RARed) lot to a post stating your choice of style, three colors and one BaseGame Buy mode object that must be included in the finished room. Then I will shuffle the rooms around, giving TS2 rooms to other TS2 contestants and TS3 to TS3, which is why we need at least 2 contestants per game. Then you will take the shell you have been given, and decorate it with the style, colors and object given.

Judges: I want three judges. I will be an EJ, but don't want to judge unless I have to (other than the requirements). I would like to have at least one judge who plays each game. If you play both, even better. But judges don't necessarily have to have specific knowledge of both games to judge fairly. So anyone is welcome Pleas post a picture of a room you've done to apply.

Judge 1Judge 2Judge 3Emergency Judge
Klaartjetrambling101ekurbynaffitjustJones

Scoring:

3 Sections will be scored by each judge (30 pts per judge)

Overall Design 10 pts: Does the design look nice? Is it cohesive? Do the chosen colors or patterns go well together?

Style 10 pts: Does this design fit the style given with the shell? Is it executed well?

Playability 10 pts: Is there enough space for sims to move around?

The requirements (colors and object) will be judged once, by me for 10 pts.

The original "owner" of the shell, will give you up to 5 bonus points, depending on how they like what you've done with their room. This will be done by PMing me with the bonus points and any feedback you'd like to give. As soon after the room is posted as you can, but at least before the round closes

As usual, we need 10 contestants to get this thing going, but will take up to 20 25. As I said, we need at least two contestants from each game, if we only get TS2, or only get TS3, that's fine. But if we get 12 TS2 and 1 TS3, the TS3 contestant wont be able to compete, because they wont have anyone to switch with. We are full!!!

ContestantRound 1ScoreRound 2ScoreRound 3ScoreRound 4ScoreFinal
w_sims (TS3)entry102.5entry94entry103.75entry300.25
megan_perry106 (TS3)entry92entry92.5entry94.5279
IrishJJ (TS3)entry87entry77entry68.5232.5
LucyBorgia (TS3)entry97.5entry102.5entry96.25entry296.25
Zarathustra (TS2)entry101.5entry92.5dropped out---194
CircusWolf (TS3)entry94dropped out-----94
Mr_Valentine90 (TS2)entry101.5entry102entry102entry305.5
luckyladycat (TS3)entry101entry103entry101.5entry305.5
joandsarah77 (TS2)entry102entry99entry105entry306
BlakeS5678 (TS3)entry99------99
karen_lorraine (TS2)entry100.5entry104.85entry101.5entry306.85
RowenaObsidian (TS2)entry95entry96.5entry101.5entry293
TheFlyingRacoon (TS2)entry98entry102.5entry100entry300.5
samantha_kathy (TS2)entry99entry92entry95entry286
loser (TS2)entry103entry101entry91entry295
UnicornTheDinosaur (TS2)entry97.5entry99.5entry97.5entry294.5
Cocoli (TS3)entry102entry98entry103.5303.5
imasimfan585 (TS2)entry96dropped out-----96
King_Deadly (TS3)entry91.5dropped out-----91.5
Tamlyn (TS3)entry100entry103entry101.5entry304.5
tsyokawe (TS3)entry95.5entry98entry97.5entry291
zenomia (TS3)entry100entry100entry103entry303
frenchyxo22 (TS2)entry93entry87entry95.5entry275.5

Quote: Originally posted by heaven
TS3 Library Files:
Library files are a great way of sharing your lot. When you save a lot to the bin, the game creates a package file in your Library folder. Of course, it gives it a really random name of a string of letters and numbers so make sure to check your Library folder after saving it (sort by date created to make things easier) and rename the file right away so you remember which one it is! You can share this lot, just like you would a sims3pack. The downloader would just install the lot by placing the file in their Library folder, rather than installing a sims3pack through the launcher. These files are great for a couple of reasons: 1) no launcher (for sure!), 2) less chance of rogue CC attaching and 3) for library files, patch level doesn't matter. So, someone at patch 1.67 could give me a lot that I, at patch 1.63, could install without an issue. If anyone is concerned or wary of joining this contest due to not being fully patched, library files should allow you to join just fine!

I'd like to ask that everyone competing on the TS3 side include your library file, instead of or along with the sims3pack from here on out. If you've already uploaded a shell, please just hang on to that library file, on the off chance that your partner might need them. This will make getting participants a little easier. I've personally refused to patch to 1.67 (RIMP (rest in modding peace) twallan) and I would hate to be restricted from participating, if I had the time, just because of my patch level.

Round 4

After much deliberation, I have decided to go with kid's bedroom. Not a nursery, unless you decide to make it for multiple children, i.e toddler and child. I went with kid's room in the hopes of maybe inspiring some style themes we haven't seen

Four this round, you must give at least 4 colors, no more than 6.

You have until Friday June 20th 11:59:59 PM EST to complete the decoration. Timer

the shell:
  • Up to 50 square tiles
  • Must have at least 4 windows
  • No more than 4 diagonal walls
  • Can not have windows on more than 2 walls
  • You may include the walls for a closet, but just put a 2-tile arch in there. It will be up to the designer if they want to put in a real closet or not.
  • Sims 2: You may include stuff from BG, UNI, NL,OFB,SSN, and BV
  • Sims 3: Sorry guys, you only get to add WA. It's the only one you are all running.

the decorating:
  • You must decorate in the style given
  • You must use all of the colors given
  • You must include the object given
  • You may not move or swap out windows and doors, except if you need to remove the arch to place a closet.
  • You may use the design tool to recolor windows and doors
  • You may not add anything structural, i.e. stages, fences, half walls
  • You must include a toybox and at least one other toy.

Now let's go! Most importantly, have fun!!
Advertisement
Destroyer of Worlds
retired moderator
#2 Old 24th Apr 2014 at 6:47 PM
Contest Approved
  • Do not post replies and/or contest applications before the contest host has checked in on this thread, or your post will be deleted.
  • DO NOT WRITE USELESS POSTS like "Hey cool contest, I think I might join." Reserve type posts and useless posts about coming back with an application will be deleted.

Heaven Sims | Avendale Legacy
"On the internet, you can be anything you want. It's strange that so many people choose to be stupid."
Toaster Strudel Addict
retired moderator
Original Poster
#3 Old 24th Apr 2014 at 6:49 PM
Checking in! Let's get this show on the road!
Pretty Space Pony
retired moderator
#4 Old 24th Apr 2014 at 7:08 PM
Here it goes! Let's bring on the next contest I would love to be a judge this time around if you'll have me, after participating in three contests. I play both TS2 and TS3, have found you a TS2 picture because TS3 makes my laptop explode. Fingers crossed the new PC will arrive soon
Toaster Strudel Addict
retired moderator
Original Poster
#5 Old 24th Apr 2014 at 7:09 PM
And we have our first judge! Welcome aboard, Klaartje!
Pretty Space Pony
retired moderator
#6 Old 24th Apr 2014 at 7:14 PM
Thanks Jones Time to advertise this :D
Mad Poster
#7 Old 24th Apr 2014 at 7:20 PM
Well I certainly don't need advertising to know that I want in on this! Time to start working on a shell to submit!
Doing all the things, and *mostly* not failing.
retired moderator
#8 Old 24th Apr 2014 at 7:52 PM
Don't mind me, I'm just going to lurk here....

jones, if you end up with an odd number of contestants, you could just rebuild the extra shell in the opposite game to swap them...
Toaster Strudel Addict
retired moderator
Original Poster
#9 Old 24th Apr 2014 at 8:00 PM
Yeah, would have to pick a different required object too. Doesn't have to be an even number either. Doesn't have to be a direct swap. if I had say 3 TS3 contestants, can just shuffle the shells between the three instead of A gets B's shell and B gets A's shell, could be A gets C's shell, B gets A's shell and C gets B's shell.
Mad Poster
#10 Old 24th Apr 2014 at 8:49 PM
AAANND I have a question already- for the shell, what are the rules on basegame half-walls? stages? basegame fences? Yes or no? I'm guessing probably no, but if I'm wrong, that does open up more design options...
Field Researcher
#11 Old 24th Apr 2014 at 8:58 PM
Yaaaaayyyy A New Contest I Havent Even Read It Yet, I Must Comment! :D

Edit Also, I am wondering if I could apply for a judge, because I would really like to try judging and I think that I have enough spare time on my hand. I really would like to participate in this contest, but I don't really know how to package and .zip stuff like that, anyhow I am up for a challenge! Jones will you allow a newcomer judge?

Call me Seth!
Constant Contestant
retired moderator
#12 Old 24th Apr 2014 at 8:59 PM
I think I'm in on this, shouldn't be cos time is so short for me, but I haven't been a contestant for sooo long!

Want a specific style of house or community building? Why not take a look at my profile and see what I build and then come ask me to make it!
Field Researcher
#13 Old 24th Apr 2014 at 9:09 PM
Here is my judging picture, one from Karen's Uni Contest because I am in love with this room from my library entry, I am familiar with sims 3-ish. I always just look at all of pictures of different builds from both games and absorb their styles. I hope this gives me an in!

Screenshots

Call me Seth!
Mad Poster
#14 Old 24th Apr 2014 at 9:40 PM
Oh goodie! Another contest :D

I'm going to sit this one out... but, I will be lurking and commenting! This sounds like a really interesting idea to 'swap' rooms. I like it!
I'm gathering my 'contest ideas' together, and starting to write up a proposal - maybe I'll get to do the next one. I know I won't be ready until the end of May/June; so the timing ought to work about right

Good luck everyone! (I can't wait to see what Z comes up with!!!) - can I call you that? or does it really bother you?

Please ~ support my TS2 habit! Shop at my Etsy shops:
CatherinesJewelry ~ Artisan Jewelry
Catherine's MOUSE ~ Up/Recycled Jewelry
and Vintage Stuffeths
Alchemist
#15 Old 24th Apr 2014 at 9:46 PM
Im in for judging!

Rome wasn't built in a day

Need help finding building items, check out my building blog https://bestbuilditems4sims2.wordpress.com/
Toaster Strudel Addict
retired moderator
Original Poster
#16 Old 24th Apr 2014 at 10:12 PM
Ok, Seth (not half asleep this time, lol) and Tiff! We now have all three judges! One veteran judge, and two newbie judges. But the two new judges are at least contest experienced And with me as your veteran hostess, we'll do just fine. I will PM the judges a "form" to fill out for judging as it makes it easier if everyone has the same set up. (Easier for me to copy and paste that is, lol).

Zarathustra (is there something shorter I can call you?), all of that is fine. As long as it's all BG, since other contestants might not have the same game configuration as you.
Mad Poster
#17 Old 24th Apr 2014 at 10:33 PM
OK, awesome! Mentioning different configurations though- that makes me think of another question... how are you handling compatibility issues for uploads? I and many others have all the EPs and M&G installed, but what happens for those who don't? Is this an issue that needs addressing before posting things? Or is that one of the things you'll handle before shuffling and redistributing lots?

And I don't really care what people call me, so long as I can tell it's ME they're talking about! I usually sign PMs with just a "Z," but I've also seen "Zara," and that's perfectly fine too- if you want to shorten things, I won't take offense!
Toaster Strudel Addict
retired moderator
Original Poster
#18 Old 24th Apr 2014 at 10:46 PM
Fantastic, Z it is I'm hoping, most people will either have a BG AGS they can use, or run full board. If I absolutely have to, I can rebuild a shell to make it compatible for it's decorator. I have both games and AGS for both. That's why I've given myself a day for just the shuffling and redistributing
mature minion
retired moderator
#19 Old 25th Apr 2014 at 1:23 AM
Hi there, I'd like to pitch in as a contestant for this lovely competition. I will be running TS3 and I have all the EP's except supernatural.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#20 Old 25th Apr 2014 at 1:26 AM
Lurking and bookmarking...

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Pretty Space Pony
retired moderator
#21 Old 25th Apr 2014 at 7:31 AM
Aw, please join us Jo and Cat! It wouldn't be a proper contest without you guys....!
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#22 Old 25th Apr 2014 at 7:42 AM
Oh arr, oh arr... I'm thinking! I do want to join but I also don't because one contest after another is tiring and I'm building my Scuba present. I do rather like the idea of rooms though so I probably will. Maybe next time you guys can leave a gap of say a week before putting up another contest?

Is this contest base game content only?

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Constant Contestant
retired moderator
#23 Old 25th Apr 2014 at 8:38 AM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
Oh arr, oh arr... I'm thinking! I do want to join but I also don't because one contest after another is tiring and I'm building my Scuba present. I do rather like the idea of rooms though so I probably will. Maybe next time you guys can leave a gap of say a week before putting up another contest?

Is this contest base game content only?
No, you can use CC, but is helpful if you build your shell in BG.

Want a specific style of house or community building? Why not take a look at my profile and see what I build and then come ask me to make it!
Lab Assistant
#24 Old 25th Apr 2014 at 9:18 AM Last edited by zaleth : 25th Apr 2014 at 9:32 AM.
To make sure what I will be submitting you want one room 64 sqs, 3 colors, one object the room is based on 2 windows,1 door.... submit a blank room with no painted wall, or floor , and no items in it so those in the contest can use the colors and object to create a room ??? I though the idea of trading spaces was to take one decorated room and redo it to something new.

Just trying to clarify so I submit the right thing.
Constant Contestant
retired moderator
#25 Old 25th Apr 2014 at 9:32 AM
Quote: Originally posted by zaleth
To make sure what I will be submitting you want one room 64 sqs, 3 colors, one object the room is based on 2 windows,1 door.... submit a blank room with not painted wall, no floor, no items in it so those in the contest can use the colors and object to create a room ??? I though the idea of trading spaces was to take one decorated room and redo it to something new. Just trying to clarify so I submit the right thing.
Submit your blank room and colour choices and object choice. Jones will give you someone else's room to decorate with their colour choices and object choice.

Page 1 of 37