Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 7th Jul 2014 at 6:07 AM
Default James McAvoy?
Hi There!

I'm brand new to the Sims 3 world; just got the game a few days ago! Anyway, long story short, I haven't been able to find a good James McAvoy Sim, and am therefore attempting to make my own, but I'm having a hard time of it.

I'm hoping that some of you will offer guidance about how to make my Sim look more like the real life guy. If you would be so kind as to include which sliders I should adjust when you say "make his chin wider" or something, that would be amazing, as I'm still fiddling and getting the hang of how each slider works. I have got a bunch of mods and such, but I don't think any of the sliders I have that adjust the face are mods.

Additionally, if you have any recommendations on hair I might use to match the hairstyle in the headshot, I'd be really grateful.

Thanks so much!!!

Oh, oops! The profile of the sim and the last headshot on the right is how the sim looks in-game, while the headshot on the left was taken in CAS.

Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 8th Jul 2014 at 2:05 PM
Generally speaking, CAS pictures aren't much use since sims can look quite different in game. So work on getting nice, big in-game close ups of your sim. Two things will help there - better lighting and using camerman mode. For lighting, go into buydebug and find the hidden lights. There are two kinds - ones that are parallel to the floor/ceiling and ones that are parallel to the walls and you need both kinds. You need to put one above him, and one or two small ones angled in front of him so the light is actually hitting his face. For Cameraman mode, hit tab while in live mode to turn it on (and tab again to turn it off).

+/- or Z/X - Zoom In/Out
Arrows (up, down, left, right) - obviously, moving around
Moving the mouse - changing the angle of view
A/D - rotation (normal)
</> - rotation (looks a little weird to me, not the normal one, but I may be wrong)

As for your sim, I'd start with the eyes. They are too large and too open. Use the eye scale slider on the main "eye" tab and the upper/lower eyelid height for starters. Lower the eyebrows (eyebrow height).
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 9th Jul 2014 at 11:01 AM
Thanks so much for responding! I was able to find the overhead lights, but not the wall ones; I just stopped in to check what it was that you'd suggested. I'll look again, and get the redone pics up. I've also been working quite a bit on the sim itself, and have made some progress, including using your suggestion about the eyes.

Thanks again!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 10th Jul 2014 at 12:37 PM
Quote: Originally posted by k2m1too
Generally speaking, CAS pictures aren't much use since sims can look quite different in game. So work on getting nice, big in-game close ups of your sim. Two things will help there - better lighting and using camerman mode.

As for your sim, I'd start with the eyes. They are too large and too open. Use the eye scale slider on the main "eye" tab and the upper/lower eyelid height for starters. Lower the eyebrows (eyebrow height).

Here are the shots you recommended, of the most recent version of the sim.

Thanks!
Forum Resident
#5 Old 11th Jul 2014 at 5:11 PM
the ingame pics are very useful for further feedback. the only thing is you should try to get closer to your sim (for "close-ups" LOL) for front and side view pictures alike. you should also try to avoid taking further pictures from extreme above levels but to have shots from a straight angle.
feedback: for now i would like to say i like your interpretation of him very much and i do enjoy looking at his freckled face. very well done teint in general ;-) and nose shape and lips are freakin close too. lovely

<< ... too old-fashioned to die young-fashioned >>
Instructor
#6 Old 12th Jul 2014 at 12:09 PM
Better, but I agree with shmovese on the angle/closeness of the pictures. Also, make sure to carry down the reference pictures with each update so people don't have to scroll back & forth to compare them.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 12th Jul 2014 at 8:29 PM
the ingame pics are very useful for further feedback. the only thing is you should try to get closer to your sim (for "close-ups" LOL) for front and side view pictures alike. you should also try to avoid taking further pictures from extreme above levels but to have shots from a straight angle.
feedback: for now i would like to say i like your interpretation of him very much and i do enjoy looking at his freckled face. very well done teint in general ;-) and nose shape and lips are freakin close too. lovely

Better, but I agree with shmovese on the angle/closeness of the pictures. Also, make sure to carry down the reference pictures with each update so people don't have to scroll back & forth to compare them.

Any time that I try to get closer than those shots, the angle becomes weird. I don't know how to lower the camera; I know how to tilt it, zoom, and move it back and forth, but I can't seem to figure out how to raise and lower it, like you can with lighting fixtures on the wall. However, I did get these photos...I hope they're more helpful. Thanks so much for helping me!

is going to be a cat when she grows up.
retired moderator
#8 Old 13th Jul 2014 at 12:44 PM
You can raise / lower the camera with the "Q" and "E" keys.

Strangers in a Strange Land--The Shin Yi Legacy | last updated 3.7.2014
My Simblr | Is probably NSFW
Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 13th Jul 2014 at 11:06 PM
Quote: Originally posted by spladoum
You can raise / lower the camera with the "Q" and "E" keys.

Cheers!!
Scholar
#10 Old 14th Jul 2014 at 3:53 AM
Getting closer; good work! Widen the face more, if you can. I also think it needs to be shorter so I'd suggest shortening the nose (make the nose wider above the nostrils - but not at the nasal bridge); moving the mouth up, and shortening the chin. Bring the outer eye corners down a bit, too. Can the skin be made darker? Love the mouth and facial hair!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#11 Old 15th Jul 2014 at 6:05 AM
Alright, here's hoping these shots help more; now that I'm more in control of the camera I feel better about them. I totally agreed about making his face shorter, but couldn't figure out how (face height being totally maxed out as short as it could go), so thanks for that! I also widened the head (I assumed that's what you meant when you said "widen the face more, SimmyRN) and did the other things that were suggested, including the skin tone. I don't want to go too dark because I know he's a very fair skinned bloke, despite how Hollywood makes him appear, lol.
The only additional thing I did was change the angle of his below-the-mouth chin curve, which I noticed was far too deep compared to the image.

In the headshot image, I did a before and after sort of thing, where on the LEFT is the old version, the middle is the real deal, and the RIGHT is the newest sim version.

As ever, thanks so so much!

Forum Resident
#12 Old 20th Jul 2014 at 12:17 PM
an update? yeah! i only have some suggestions on details:
i would like to see him with his hair more "redhead" blonde, than brownish like its now, i like that you already made sure to make his beard appear more red than the hair BUT i think its too dark in general.
also your sims eyes appear to be so dark (eyeliner?!) but the originals eyes section (lids) are bright.
i like what you did to his lips in general, but if one looks at the side view its obvious that his under lips shape starts to look glitchy, cause its too thin i say (or the space between underlip and chin is too wide whatever)
also i would lift up the nose bridge wee bit. the side view comparison shows that the originals nose silhoutte is quite "straight", there is not such a big "dent" when the nose meets the forehead.
+ dont you think his face shape is more oval than square ???
i really like his teint and wanted to say it again

<< ... too old-fashioned to die young-fashioned >>