Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 20th Jul 2014 at 11:49 AM
Default Hardly offers much?
"We are not sure how many of you might still be playing this (Sims 2), because it is relatively an old title, that hardly offers much, when compared to the huge and vibrant Sims 3 that kept us occupied in the past years."

http://thefusejoplin.com/2014/07/si...l-leads-sims-2/

Well whoever wrote this article obviously never played the Sims 2!

Also, no toddlers and swimming pools in Sims 4? Just went even farther down on my likelihood of ever buying it.
Advertisement
Theorist
#2 Old 20th Jul 2014 at 12:06 PM
"The Sims 4 is one of the most anticipated games of 2014 and fans are eagerly waiting to start building their own home as soon as the game launches."

The above clueless statement alone, means the person writing the article either has never played any of the Sims games, has a friend/ or family member that works for EA, has never been to a Sims fansite, or all of the above.

They just don't get it.

"As it has been so long and as they are going to move all their resources forward, to focus on the latest games that Maxis is making, in association with Electronic Arts,"

And from the looks of it, Maxis is really only focusing on other "latest games", because TS4 sure isn't getting their full attention.

"support for Sims 2 will be withdrawn which will no longer receive any updates or new content."

If the heads at EA really put some thought into this whole thing, they'd probably make more money by tweaking/fixing existing TS2 issues, and releasing another EP/SP or two for it, than releasing TS4 as it currently is.

As it stands, I no longer buy their products and haven't for a few years. But, I did make sure to get the Ulitmate Collection (even though I already have all EP's/SP's), because you never know when it might come in handy.

And honestly (a little ashamed to admit it), if they put out something brand new for the Sims 2, even I'd be tempted to get back on the EA train and buy it. Love TS2, that much.

“Seize the time... Live now! Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again.” ― Jean-Luc Picard
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#3 Old 20th Jul 2014 at 12:44 PM
I left a scathing comment on that article and can't see it.

As much as I dislike EA if they had put out another EP for Sims 2 I would have rushed out and bought it right away.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#4 Old 20th Jul 2014 at 12:45 PM Last edited by gazania : 20th Jul 2014 at 4:47 PM.
Didn't EA assume the Sims 2 had died when Sims 3 came out?

The Sims 2's end sounds like wishful thinking ... or a deliberate sabotage attempt.

While I admit that EA's strategy with UC may be brilliant (I've repeated my reasons elsewhere way too often), it can also go terribly, terribly wrong for EA. We'll see after September 2nd. If The Sims 2 was so dead, then why the absurdly long waits during the UC processing (and people still are having problems), running out of codes for a short time, etc.? After all, this is a game allegedly far past its prime. Few people should have been interested. Does Peggle have the same problem?

If EA whispered those comments into the writer's ear or made any implications, then its UC strategy is crystal-clear. They are indeed trying to wipe out Sims 2, and I confess that pisses me off. Spotty Sims 2 support didn't do it. Sims 3 didn't do it. though it did leave an impact. So now, EA is trying a much more aggressive approach?

What a nice way to treat its veteran Sims 2 players ... or any other Sims 2 customers.

How much did EA pay the person to write that drivel? Or how strongly did EA influence the writer?

Once people get settled into Sims 2, and if Sims 4 is a bust, more people might be playing this now-freebie, and our group might actually get much larger. And more people might prefer Sims 2. People at EA DO realize that, correct?

No ... we won't ever be the dominant group we once were. But we may not be a negligibly small one, either.

Thanks to ALL free-site creators, admins and mods.

RIP Sunni ... truly a ray of light.
Forum Resident
#5 Old 20th Jul 2014 at 1:35 PM
Didn't EA drop support of Sims 2 when Sims 3 was released? I don't understand how this is a new thing.

The Sims 2 website was completely shut down and we had to get our patches from here! This makes absolutely no difference to me.

I haven't downloaded the ultimate collection because I'm not overly fussed. I might if it appears in my library but I'm not going to bend over backwards pestering EA to get it.
Inventor
#6 Old 20th Jul 2014 at 1:44 PM
I had to leave a comment on that "article" too. I don't know how long Jo's comment lasted before being deleted , but I'm thinkin' I might just break her record for deletion time.

Shotgunning bland cucumbers since 1974
Theorist
#7 Old 20th Jul 2014 at 2:23 PM
Quote: Originally posted by MOOKIEBLAYLOCK
I had to leave a comment on that "article" too. I don't know how long Jo's comment lasted before being deleted , but I'm thinkin' I might just break her record for deletion time.

Just read the comment you left on there.

"Do anyone else's teen sims get stuck in the wall and can't move or is it just me?....My sim turned on the stereo and his grandmother died of shock, is that supposed to happen?"

Priceless!

“Seize the time... Live now! Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again.” ― Jean-Luc Picard
Mad Poster
#8 Old 20th Jul 2014 at 3:02 PM
The first time they stop support was for the disk copies of the game, now on the 22nd they will stop support on the digitals copies of the game.

With the UC being supported for no one knows how long, we will have to wait and see.
Right now there is 4 updates for UC and more will come when problems are found.

All my Beginning Hoods here at MTS. http://www.modthesims.info/member.php?u=7749491
All my Beginning Hoods as Shopping Districts plus Old Town. http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=523417
MooVille, a tribute to Mootilda and her fabulous lots http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=534158
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#9 Old 20th Jul 2014 at 3:36 PM
Yeah, I don't know what this stopping Sims 2 support rubbish is. They said that Sims 2 was not longer supported when the website went down.

There are so many EPs they could still have made for Sims 2. I have to admit that I'd buy a new one as well.
#10 Old 20th Jul 2014 at 3:54 PM
Could you imagine them making a new EP for Sims 2? I'd buy it in a heartbeat as long as it still had the same feeling as the rest of the game. That would never happen though and I don't care. EA can try as hard as they want to get us to switch over and buy the new game but I'm sticking with the Sims 2.
Mad Poster
#11 Old 20th Jul 2014 at 4:04 PM
I would even buy EP's with new hoods to try out for all 3 Stories Games, I would buy 100 EP's if they did that.

Yes I have every disk that was ever made for the Sims 2 and I do think the Stories Games are part of Sims 2.

All my Beginning Hoods here at MTS. http://www.modthesims.info/member.php?u=7749491
All my Beginning Hoods as Shopping Districts plus Old Town. http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=523417
MooVille, a tribute to Mootilda and her fabulous lots http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=534158
Instructor
#12 Old 20th Jul 2014 at 4:13 PM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
As much as I dislike EA if they had put out another EP for Sims 2 I would have rushed out and bought it right away.

I would too! It would be a dream come true if they started supporting the game again and had new expansion packs for it. :lovestruc But of course now it's all just about Sims 3 and 4... Sigh
Mad Poster
#13 Old 20th Jul 2014 at 4:50 PM
The comma abuse in that article is insane.
Undead Molten Llama
#14 Old 20th Jul 2014 at 4:52 PM
Y'know, I don't know how much of an outpouring there really was with this "ultimate collection." And by that I mean that, yes I understand that there were long wait times for EA chat and what-have-you...but I have no idea how long wait times normally are. And yes, I know that here in the fan community there was a lot of excitement, and I see new/returning faces in the TS2 forum and all that...but, really, the forum-visiting fan community is a microcosm of the much larger world; you really can't judge by it. And OK, I understand that they want to move forward with the "awesome" and "highly anticipated" (*snicker*) new game rather than look backwards and pander to us curmudgeonly TS2 diehards and develop something new for what is, in reality, a positively ancient game by technology's standards.

Still, you'd think that EA would notice the persistent interest, at least within the microcosmic fan community, in this game that "hardly offers much," and that there is money still to be made from it. I'm actually rather surprised that they're giving away the UC for free....Except that on the other hand, since they DID give it away, they're not under any obligation to support it. Because no one, a year or two from now, can whine, "I paid money for this, so FIX IT! WAAAAH!" Because no one paid any money for it. So, it's a way for EA to disavow TS2 while on the other hand seeming "nice" and giving themselves a tidy little PR boost, which lately has been sorely needed in the fan community, at least. And because (so far, at least, and I suspect it'll never be released on physical media) the UC is only available via Origin, it also gets people on Origin who otherwise weren't and, in some cases, probably never would have been. Given that Origin is an advertising vehicle for EA, that was clever of them. Now they have more people they can spam with ads for TS4 and since they were so "nice" and all, maybe some people will even buy TS4 who wouldn't have otherwise.

Not me, of course. Zero interest in the UC because I already have every EP/SP in both disk form (at least twice over) and ripped-to-ISO-with-cracks saved on multiply-redundant external media kept in many different places so that I have many "backups." Also, I have less-than-zero interest in TS4. So, I remain unimpressed. And curmudgeonly. And the article made me lmao. I...just can't imagine writing something like that with a straight face. Unless I was being paid lots and lots of money to do so.

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Muh Simblr! | An index of my downloads on Tumblr.
Field Researcher
#15 Old 20th Jul 2014 at 5:01 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simsfreq
The comma abuse in that article is insane.

Yeah, blatant disregard for conventions of the English language dramatically underscores the point that this author doesn't know what they're talking about. I mean, look at the claim that "the game thrived on downloadable content that sold more copies than the base game". That's technically impossible, since you had to have the base game to run any of the DLC.

http://kahonseecity.livejournal.com/ < - New Prosperity Challenge. Last update: 6/9/14
Mad Poster
#16 Old 20th Jul 2014 at 5:06 PM Last edited by gazania : 21st Jul 2014 at 1:30 AM.
I would love the idea ... and not love it.

Would I have to install it with Origin? What would the DRM be like this time? How glitchy would it be? How fervently would EA spam me?

Something during the series changed to me during the Sims 2 run. For me, it came around the time of BV; back when EA was working on 3. So perhaps from Fall 2007 to Fall 2008. Of course, I know that EA has produced this series for a profit. I would be really, really naive or obtuse otherwise. EA never did this this out of the goodness of its heart. At the time, this game was a huge golden goose for the company!

But from BV on, I became more painfully aware of EA's greed. I think many of us did. While FT remains one of my favorite EPs, the last three EPs seem rushed to me.

Had EA been a responsible and responsive company, they could have released further EPs/SPs/store content as "retro" or "classic" add-ons once a year or two . They could have kept promoting Sims 3, sure, but never lose sight of the 25 - 33% (in my estimate ... the number might be higher now or soon) who still thoroughly enjoy Sims 2.

And sadly, this may happen to Sims 3 players in a few years, too.

Forum Resident
#17 Old 20th Jul 2014 at 5:10 PM
I agree, the person who wrote what the original poster shared may not have actually played ANY of The Sims games. I do know that players are still discovering (and loving TS2) and that many who bought TS3 played for a while and then went back to TS2, many others never left TS2 and even others who play both 2 and 3 spend most of their play time with 2. For many of us TS3 is bland in comparison to TS2. TS2 has more charm and personality. In my view TS3 is more about "eye candy".
Mad Poster
#18 Old 20th Jul 2014 at 5:15 PM
I loved this bit, (and it was written before that wonderful gameplay demo was released to YouTube):
Quote:
The Sims 4 is one of the most anticipated games of 2014 and fans are eagerly waiting to start building their own home as soon as the game launches.

That part might have to be changed pretty soon-because an awful lot of people got their eyes opened for the first time about that game.

"Most anticipated"? Perhaps when it was on the drawing board, not now.

"Eagerly awaiting"? The disaster to unfold, undoubtedly..or as someone else said in another thread: "To dance around its' corpse."

Yes, accuracy is all.
Mad Poster
#19 Old 20th Jul 2014 at 5:20 PM Last edited by gazania : 20th Jul 2014 at 5:34 PM.
One thing that I'm trying desperately to find are the pre-orders for 3, and maybe even 2, compared with 4. I remember EA crowing about how Sims 3 pre-orders were a record. I thought I read here that there have been about 90.000 Sims 4 pre-orders as of a week or so ago.

How did that compare with Sims 3? Or even Sims 2? That might give us an idea of the response to this game. As iCad wrote, this forum is simply one tiny part of the Sims world.

Of course, we'd have to take into account the response to PC games overall and changes in technology, as well as the impact of piracy. But if there were 250,000 pre-orders, for example, compared with 90,000 ... hmmm ....

Lab Assistant
#20 Old 20th Jul 2014 at 6:33 PM
People really pre-order them? I always buy them used. I'm going to try 4, if it's compatible with my old computer.
Mad Poster
#21 Old 20th Jul 2014 at 8:15 PM
I pre ordered sims 2. But I don't see the point of preordering digital copies of a game, unless it's going to magically install itself at 0.01am on the dot!
Top Secret Researcher
#22 Old 20th Jul 2014 at 10:19 PM Last edited by k6ka : 24th Jul 2014 at 3:31 PM. Reason: I just noticed a typo...
Whoever wrote that is mindless and can't seem to check their facts before posting them. If they really think "The Sims 2 is an obsolete game that nobody plays anymore" and "The Sims 2 and 3 players are ditching their games to play The Sims 4", they are wrong. So terribly wrong. By a VERY long shot.
Top Secret Researcher
#23 Old 20th Jul 2014 at 10:20 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simsfreq
I pre ordered sims 2. But I don't see the point of preordering digital copies of a game, unless it's going to magically install itself at 0.01am on the dot!

If you preorder say TS4, you can preload (download) the game early. You just can't play it until midnight of release.

Not that I'm condoning preordering TS4 when I myself am still on the fence.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#24 Old 20th Jul 2014 at 10:27 PM
I don't think my comment got deleted I think it just didn't post. Maybe because I wrote it and then signed in with Google. Annoying thing is I had to create a Disqus account for that privilege so the account shows up but not the post.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Inventor
#25 Old 20th Jul 2014 at 11:11 PM
@ Jo , i just used my facebook to post and then marked the e mail I got from Disqus as spam I figured it would be easier for me to get censored/censured than you anyway. I'm pretty good at it, even internationally renowned. Many years ago my sister was living in Canberra and my (now ex) wife and I went from the US to go visit her and my nieces. One evening my sister took us out for a very nice dinner at an upscale restaurant. I ate quite a bit and did what any thoughtful . considerate brother would do when his sister had treated him to such a nice meal.... I leaned back in my chair and announced (quite loudly) " Whew, I'm stuffed". Coulda heard a pin drop in our area of the restaurant right about then . The ugly American strikes again!

Back on topic ( the bastardized one), yes , I too would seriously consider purchasing anything new that was created for Sims 2.

Shotgunning bland cucumbers since 1974
Page 1 of 2