Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Scholar
#26 Old 11th Aug 2014 at 2:21 AM
I love clutter, but I don't use that much of it; this means I have a lot of things like pillows, bed blankets (OK, those were mostly because the pillows were repo-linked to them) and other impractical oddities because a few of my Sims have personalities that seem suitable for them. I love furniture with lots of slots, and have extra-slot mods to increase the amount on Maxis furniture, because while I use OMSPs (I love the seating ones!), it's much easier to put stuff on a pre-existing slot. I usually use OMSPs to do things like putting a freezer bunny plushie next to a date bouquet on top of the Ottomas family's fridge, or making an unconventional centrepiece of (functional!) handguns for the Monty Ranch dining table after I found suitably noir-gangster ones on GoS which unfortunately did not fit in the standard centrepiece slot. These are things that set the tone of the household for any pictures I take, while giving a nice feel for the storyline and not inhibiting gameplay -- the last consideration is the most important, as clutter that is going to be placed on usable surfaces can't block their use. Thankfully, those lovely pillows and blankets don't render any chairs or beds they're placed on unusable, or I couldn't use them! Generally there's only a relatively small amount of clutter per house, aside from useful items like the ACR adjuster and a certain bouquet that was mentioned, but it differs wildly between houses and sets the tone for each.

GoS has certainly increased my liking for clutter by providing more universal things like crayons and books with gorgeously retro Simlish covers; just about any household with too many children gets the very cheap crayons scattered around (and maybe a few crayon-drawing wall-overlays to go along with them if the kids are left to their own devices too much!), and the deco books make it easy to have an accurate bookworm's cave without the environment score dropping from real books left lying around. Those books, along with the skill-building books from here, end up in probably too many houses, but I won't allow them in households that clearly should not prize literacy. The most important thing after playability is the house feeling right for its inhabitants!
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#27 Old 11th Aug 2014 at 7:50 AM
I hate clutter - in my own house as well as in my Sims' houses. I might use a plant here and there, and perhaps a rug or two if I had given them a concrete or tile floor. It just seems more sensible to fill up the house with functional things that they can actually use.
Mad Poster
#28 Old 12th Aug 2014 at 7:35 PM
@Freefalldreams: Could you give us a link to those extra slot mods for Maxis furniture? The only way I know to that is to use OMSPs, but you seem to have found something different.

When I said my Sims don't have much clutter, I forgot about the little house in Mendoza Lane, Downtown, that Jack Gill shares with Ravi Bertino. It's hardly possible to move in that house without falling over bunches of roses. At first they bought coffee tables and end tables to put them on, but now they're just leaving them on the floor or in the garden, And it will get worse, because I've changed both boys' LTWs to 50 Dream Dates! They could put some into their inventories or try to sell them, but they like looking at reminders of all the wonderful dates they've had! (They have an "open" relationship, so not all the dates are with each other, though a lot of them are.) So all in all they really need a lot of extra slots in that house to keep their "floral collection". (It's amazing how, unlike the flowers in my Sims gardens, these roses never wilt!)
Field Researcher
#29 Old 12th Aug 2014 at 10:39 PM
It depends on what kind of mood I'm in while decorating. Most of the time I just want to play, but the other day I was remodeling the Beaker household and added little soap containers to every sink. Every house must have a toilet paper next to each toilet and a light switch for every room, though, or I'll go crazy. I'm tempted to place air conditioning vents as well, but if I start that up I'll never get out of build mode.
Mad Poster
#30 Old 12th Aug 2014 at 11:28 PM
Andrew, it's here on MTS. Look in the OMSP category, I think that's where they are.
Scholar
#31 Old 13th Aug 2014 at 3:04 AM
@AndrewGloria, Here you go, for starters: https://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=295062 That's my favourite, though there's others. Just be careful mixing and matching, as I'm not sure what would happen if you add another mod giving slots to the same things.
Lab Assistant
#32 Old 13th Aug 2014 at 3:28 AM
Yup, I love clutter. I didn't know it was an option for a long time. I always wondered how people put so many objects on different furniture and shelves, then I discovered the OMSBP thingies. Now I love it! Just finished redoing Brandi Broke's home. The kitchen is super tacky and pink with a cupboard full of cereals, pastas and baby food. I love the realism factor it adds in. Houses with just furniture and an empty room are so boring. If only I could organize it all.

Marebear<3333
Mad Poster
#33 Old 13th Aug 2014 at 11:41 AM
Thanks gummilutt and Freefalldreams!
I had spotted Sims99Fanatic's ones for fridges, toilets, stereos and microwaves, but I hadn't seen Lord Darcy's. His ones should be enough to get me started and bring some semblance of order to Jack Gill's chaotic house, which looks worse now than it did immediately after their burglary. (I suppose Sims burglars just steal things -- they don't make a mess like real ones do!) I think they started going on lots of dates to take their minds off the burglary.
Scholar
#34 Old 13th Aug 2014 at 12:39 PM
I like a bit of clutter, for a dash of realism, but not too much as I try to keep my downloads as small as I can.

The exception to the rule is my self-sims' house. She has Rebecah's horses, so I made them a stable each, a tackroom, and feedroom. I have downloaded all the horse clutter I can find, and I have used it to make my stableyard look realistic, I think it looks really nice!
Scholar
#35 Old 22nd Aug 2014 at 2:21 PM
I generally don't put cluttery stuff into my houses.

C-A
Scholar
#36 Old 22nd Aug 2014 at 8:51 PM
I can't stand leaving a room too empty; bedrooms have to have decoration as well as the standard beds and such; living rooms too.
Mad Poster
#37 Old 23rd Aug 2014 at 3:35 AM
The richer the Sim, the more clutter...no, it's NOT clutter! Those cabinets and shelves of pans, and food, that side-board with bread, that old house with food barrels - they just add to the realism to me. But I DO clutter baby rooms sometimes - toys and pictures are so cute.

Stand up, speak out. Just not to me..
Page 2 of 2