Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 21st Aug 2014 at 4:38 PM Last edited by plasticbox : 24th Sep 2015 at 11:06 PM.
Default Info | How to create subfolders in your Mod (downloads) folder
--

Update 2015-09-24: This is now outdated, see post #89 of this thread.

On a related note, here is also useful tip on how you can use the mklink command to move the /Mods folder to a different drive if you run out of space. Tutorial: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorial...ks-windows.html

--

I recalled the early mess of thousands of files in my Sims 2 Downloads folder before I learned I could make subfolders within in it, such as:
Downloads --> Clothes Male --> Adults --> Casual --> (and subfolders in this one by artist or style, ie SBB, Costumes, etc)
or, Downloads --> Furniture --> Living Room --> (and a subfolder for sets, ie, Steffor Set, Chloe Set,Ygg Set with pics)
or, Downloads --> Female Hair --> Peggy Hairstyle --> (and a subfolder for each hairstyle with pics)

I thought I'd share this little jewel of info I found in the comment section posted by Billye Gilbert at SimNation blog on how to create subfolders in Sims 4, since it's currently set up where the player has to install all custom content in the Mods folder. Considering that one cc house could have dozens of files, along with all the other downloaded cc, this would be quite a mess, and very difficult to identify and remove content you no longer want or that may be causing a conflict..

In his very helpful comment he said:
"Just for people understanding, mod folder in the Sims 4 Demo does not allow the us of subdirectores for sorting of mods and recolors. If you wish to use subfolders to help sort it out, you will have to edit the resource.cfg file.

To do this go to the mod folder and open the resource.cfg file in a text editor. (Save a copy of it first.) Edit it to read:

Priority 500
PackedFile *.package
PackedFile */*.package
PackedFile */*/*.package
PackedFile */*/*/*.package
PackedFile */*/*/*/*.package
PackedFile */*/*/*/*/*.package

Save the file. This will allow you a directory structure of up to 5 levels deep within the mods folder for sorting. This should be enough. (I am currently using 4 deep.)"

I made a copy of the cfg file first in case I made an error. I opened the cfg file in the game with Notepad, which comes with any Windows computer. Cut and pasted over the existing info that starts with Priority 500, so it looked just like that, and it worked like a charm. See his comment to a post here: (http://www.simnationblog.co.uk/p/ho...nload-mods.html ).
Attached files:
File Type: rar  Resource.rar (158 Bytes, 26300 downloads) - View custom content
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 5th Sep 2014 at 4:04 AM
Could you verify this works in the production game with the new content that is starting to appear as new creations. Feedback posts are giving mixed signals.
Test Subject
#3 Old 7th Sep 2014 at 2:55 AM
It works, I just sorted all my stuff into sub folders and it all shows up at the start of the game when I open it.
Test Subject
#4 Old 7th Sep 2014 at 3:15 PM
I made a rooky mistake and forgot to keep a copy of the original resorce.cfg file. Does anyone have a copy of the original and can post it. I am also wondering if there is a difference for those people that did beta vs. those that waited to get the new production game. From posts I keep seeing at least one person on each of the new CC that can not view the content.
Field Researcher
#5 Old 7th Sep 2014 at 3:59 PM
Quote: Originally posted by arkieft
I made a rooky mistake and forgot to keep a copy of the original resorce.cfg file. Does anyone have a copy of the original and can post it. I am also wondering if there is a difference for those people that did beta vs. those that waited to get the new production game. From posts I keep seeing at least one person on each of the new CC that can not view the content.

See if this does it
Attached files:
File Type: zip  Resource.zip (160 Bytes, 4554 downloads) - View custom content
Field Researcher
#6 Old 7th Sep 2014 at 10:40 PM
I'm a little confused on the instructions. I understand how to make the resource file and make changes, etc. The part i don't get is what to name the folders. In the sims 3 my resource file looked like this...

Priority 501
DirectoryFiles Files/... autoupdate
Priority 1000
PackedFile Overrides/*.package
PackedFile Overrides/*/*.package
PackedFile Overrides/*/*/*.package
PackedFile Overrides/*/*/*/*.package
PackedFile Overrides/*/*/*/*/*.package
Priority 500
PackedFile Packages/*.package
PackedFile Packages/*/*.package
PackedFile Packages/*/*/*.package
PackedFile Packages/*/*/*/*.package
PackedFile Packages/*/*/*/*/*.package
Priority 499
PackedFile Permanent/*.package
PackedFile Permanent/*/*.package
PackedFile Permanent/*/*/*.package
PackedFile Permanent/*/*/*/*.package
PackedFile Permanent/*/*/*/*/*.package
Priority -50
PackedFile Probation/*.package
PackedFile Probation/*/*.package
PackedFile Probation/*/*/*.package
PackedFile Probation/*/*/*/*.package
PackedFile Probation/*/*/*/*/*.package
Priority 500
PackedFile DCCache/*.dbc

But in your resource file for the sims 4, there's no mention of specific folder names. Is there supposed to be? How does that work in the sims 4?
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#7 Old 7th Sep 2014 at 10:55 PM
It's entirely up to you what names you use for the folders .. but in order to get the game to load stuff from there (and with the correct priorities), you need to reflect your actual structure in the .cfg and vice versa. This is how it’s always been. The "*" is a wildcard character, it means "this can have any name".

So if you want to keep doing it like you did in TS3, just use the .cfg you have there (but then you also need to create the subfolders like it says in that, otherwise the game won’t find anything).

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

In the kingdom of the blind, do as the Romans do.
Field Researcher
#8 Old 7th Sep 2014 at 11:00 PM
Quote: Originally posted by plasticbox
It's entirely up to you what names you use for the folders .. but in order to get the game to load stuff from there (and with the correct priorities), you need to reflect your actual structure in the .cfg and vice versa. This is how it’s always been. The "*" is a wildcard character, it means "this can have any name".

So if you want to keep doing it like you did in TS3, just use the .cfg you have there (but then you also need to create the subfolders like it says in that, otherwise the game won’t find anything).

I get all that. But doesn't the cfg file need to indicate what the folder name is in order to recognize the folder?

In other words, would i be able to use your cfg file as you typed it without any specific folder names specified in the actual cfg file, and the game will still read the folder without it being typed into the cfg file?
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#9 Old 7th Sep 2014 at 11:04 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Zennia
would i be able to use your cfg file as you typed it without any specific folder names and the game will still read the folder without it being specified in the cfg file?

Yes. Because in the cfg in post #1, the folder names are all wildcards.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wildca...acter#Computing

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

Field Researcher
#10 Old 7th Sep 2014 at 11:10 PM
Not sure why, but i was under the impression in the sims 3 that the folders had to be named precisely the way they were typed in cfg file. Does this mean the cfg file in my sims 3 mods folder never had to specify folder names for the game to read the folders?
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#11 Old 7th Sep 2014 at 11:18 PM
Yes .. like I said above: IF, and only IF, you define exact names in .cfg, your actual folder structure must use those names. Or else, no worky.

Buf since the .cfg in post one does not do that .. you can name your folders whatever you like if you use that. Just like you always did with subfolders in TS3 too (those are also wildcards in your example).

And before you now ask back "but why were there those .cfg files to download?": Because lots of people are apparently unable to type a few lines into a text file. See posts #4/#5.

Test Subject
#12 Old 8th Sep 2014 at 12:39 AM Last edited by arkieft : 8th Sep 2014 at 5:42 AM.
Thank you Kawab for posting the original file.

I must be making a mistake in my understanding of how the game works. When the game starts I get a message showing all CC that I have loaded. It does not matter if I use the original Resource file or the modified one. I currently have everything in the single Mods folder located in Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 4\Mods. But when I had them in subfolders it still showed up at the start of the game. But I do not find anything under CAS when I plan an outfit.

The original config file has every thing as a single line and provides 2 levels for organization. but if I copy it to here it looks like the below.
Priority 500
PackedFile *.package
PackedFile *\*.package

Edit add: I loaded the no mosaic mod into the game and it works. So the issue is not the resource file not working. Is is an issue with the clothing CC not showing in CAS.
Test Subject
#13 Old 9th Sep 2014 at 4:37 AM
Cc From the sims 4 demo does not work in the GAME. The creators of the cc used for the demo have to go back and change their cc to work for the game. That quite possibly could be your problem.
Test Subject
#14 Old 13th Sep 2014 at 3:08 PM
Is this supposed to work to download houses?? I noticed that when I download a house there is some like 8 files, but didn't want to put them all in the /Tray folder so keep it in it's file, but I'm not finding the house anywhere. Need more details let me know
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#15 Old 13th Sep 2014 at 9:11 PM
This thread is about the Mods folder, not the tray folder. Subfoldering won't work for Tray.

Test Subject
#16 Old 14th Sep 2014 at 3:57 PM
Thank you for this info. I like to sub folder my mods and scripts so I am thrilled this is possible with Sims4
Lab Assistant
#17 Old 17th Sep 2014 at 3:16 AM
Quick question. After I opened the file and altered it, it now looks like a notepad thumbnail. Will it still work in my game or no? And is there anyway to alter it back to what it was?
Lab Assistant
#18 Old 17th Sep 2014 at 2:09 PM
I'm baffled, I edited the resource file like in post #1 and wrote then pb's line DirectoryFiles unpackedmod autoupdate as latest edit. Now the game generates a new original resource file and I have 2 in the mods folder. I don't know do I play with the two of them or what did I wrong?

Love dosen't make the world go 'round. Love is what makes the ride worthwile. - Franklin. P. Jones
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#19 Old 17th Sep 2014 at 2:48 PM
You probably renamed that file on accident. Check that it doesn't end in.cfg.txt.

Lab Assistant
#20 Old 17th Sep 2014 at 5:56 PM
Thank you, it was what you said.

Love dosen't make the world go 'round. Love is what makes the ride worthwile. - Franklin. P. Jones
Lab Assistant
#21 Old 18th Sep 2014 at 12:40 PM
Am I understanding correctly that it is already possible to have one extra organization level without having to edit the .cfg ? So I could make a folder for tuning mods and one for CAS parts as is?

I embrace my desire to feel the rhythm, to feel connected enough to step aside and weep like a widow, to feel inspired, to fathom the power, to witness the beauty, to bathe in the fountain, to swing on the spiral of our divinity, and still be a human.
Test Subject
#22 Old 22nd Sep 2014 at 6:28 AM
Quote: Originally posted by MaiaMadness
Am I understanding correctly that it is already possible to have one extra organization level without having to edit the .cfg ? So I could make a folder for tuning mods and one for CAS parts as is?

No, this does not work (at least not in my game).
Test Subject
#23 Old 22nd Sep 2014 at 11:33 AM
my resource.cfg is now a wordpad icon. Should it be like that? The downloads dont show up in game
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#24 Old 22nd Sep 2014 at 1:19 PM
Quote: Originally posted by plasticbox
You probably renamed that file on accident. Check that it doesn't end in.cfg.txt.

See above.

Field Researcher
#25 Old 22nd Sep 2014 at 2:42 PM
Default Help
I know that renaming the resource file should be a really simple thing to do, but I can not understand how to do this? I have downloaded Notepad, the no need to install version, and tried then opening the resource file using Notepad, now the file has changed from a package file to a Notepad icon ending with cfg, like some people have said above, and I can't now change it back, as everytime I download a new resource file from the link above and unzip it, it turns straight into another notepad file with cfg on the end instead of package?
Please can somebody give a step by step guide on how to add anything to the resource file, as it's driving me crazy, I have been trying to figure this out for a week now, searching all over the internet for more information that could help, but have got absolutely nowhere
Page 1 of 5