Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 12th Sep 2014 at 10:55 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons
Default Ultimate Collection - Neighborhood loads once, then always crashes
Sooooo, I'm relieved I'm not the only one who's having problems with UC. However, I seem to be the only one with this specific problem, and none of the fixes and tutorials I've tried have helped.

I recently bought a new laptop, and one of the first things I did was download UC. It downloaded and installed with no problems, and I was able to adjust resolution and enable edge smoothing. I opened Strangetown first, and it went through the usual first-time loading screen, adding Pets, Weather, Magic, etc. I went to one household (the Beakers), just to make sure everything was loading at that level too, and then exited the game without saving.

However, when I booted up the game again and tried to visit the same neighborhood, it crashed ("the application has crashed, the application will now terminate") about two-thirds of the way through the neighborhood loading screen. And it's done that every single time I've tried to load it since.

I have no idea what to do at this point. I've followed the leefish tutorial for fixing my graphics card, I've gone through the CFF and DPE tutorials, and I've repaired the game through Origin. It's a brand-new computer (Windows 7, 64-bit, NVIDIA graphics card, 16 GB memory) that's never had any Sims games on it before. I installed and played the game on my old computer with no problems, so I'm pretty familiar with what Very Bad Things to avoid.

Please, help me ;___;
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 12th Sep 2014 at 11:52 PM
Just offhand it sounds like a corrupt neighborhood. Can you play another neighborhood? You might try forcing the game to regenerate fresh neighborhoods, since you have no playing time invested. I forget how you do that, though. Anybody?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 13th Sep 2014 at 12:03 AM Last edited by ladystormcrow : 13th Sep 2014 at 12:22 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by rhiamom
Just offhand it sounds like a corrupt neighborhood. Can you play another neighborhood? You might try forcing the game to regenerate fresh neighborhoods, since you have no playing time invested. I forget how you do that, though. Anybody?

UPDATE: I repaired the game through Origin again, and by playing it with the resolution unaltered at 800x600, I've gotten to the point that I can load neighborhoods and lots multiple times. Now CC seems to be the problem. I installed several mods that ran fine on my previous machine (CEP, Scriptorium, InTeen, some default replacement skin and eyes, and Terrakosmos's face replacements), and the game and lots loaded fine with all of them. However, now when I try to add any other CC, even ones that are small, fairly harmless, and have worked for me in the past, the game crashes in the middle of the loading screen when I try to enter a lot.

(In answer to your question, yeah, deleting the Neighborhoods folder in MyDocuments was one of the fixes I tried earlier. The folder spawned fresh, but it didn't fix the problem.)

FURTHER UPDATE: Aaaaand, it's back to the point of crashing during the neighborhood loading screen. I've tried both Pleasantview and Strangetown, and it's happened for both of them - I can check them once, see that the content's loaded, but then it crashes if I exit and then try to load again.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 13th Sep 2014 at 1:15 AM
You could try and turn off User Account Control (UAC) and your antivirus program after you disconnect from the internet and try it that way.

For turning off UAC you need to restart your computer and after it boots up again you need to turn off your antivirus and then try your game.

Windows 7 and 8/8.1 protects your computer In more ways than XP ever thought of doing and this has help other players play there game.

All my Beginning Hoods here at MTS. http://www.modthesims.info/member.php?u=7749491
All my Beginning Hoods as Shopping Districts plus Old Town. http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=523417
MooVille, a tribute to Mootilda and her fabulous lots http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=534158
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 13th Sep 2014 at 8:51 PM
Quote: Originally posted by marka93
You could try and turn off User Account Control (UAC) and your antivirus program after you disconnect from the internet and try it that way.

For turning off UAC you need to restart your computer and after it boots up again you need to turn off your antivirus and then try your game.

Windows 7 and 8/8.1 protects your computer In more ways than XP ever thought of doing and this has help other players play there game.

Thank you - I tried it this morning, after uninstalling the antivirus my computer came with (I'm switching to a better program). Unfortunately, it didn't work. When I loaded the game, it still crashes at exactly the same point when I try to load either neighborhood.
Mad Poster
#6 Old 13th Sep 2014 at 8:53 PM
Did you turn off UAC?
Have you put in any mods/hacks yet?

Have you deleted the cache files and or the "NeighborhoodManager"?

All my Beginning Hoods here at MTS. http://www.modthesims.info/member.php?u=7749491
All my Beginning Hoods as Shopping Districts plus Old Town. http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=523417
MooVille, a tribute to Mootilda and her fabulous lots http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=534158
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 13th Sep 2014 at 9:09 PM
Did you turn off UAC?
Have you put in any mods/hacks yet?

Have you deleted the cache files and or the "NeighborhoodManager"?

Yes - like I said in my reply to rhiamom, I added several mods and other CC (none of which had conflicted with UC on my old machine), and the problem started after they had been added. I've now removed/uninstalled them, and deleted the cache files and NeighborhoodManager, but it's still crashing.
Field Researcher
#8 Old 13th Sep 2014 at 10:42 PM Last edited by LadySilverwolf : 13th Sep 2014 at 11:22 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by ladystormcrow
Yes - like I said in my reply to rhiamom, I added several mods and other CC (none of which had conflicted with UC on my old machine), and the problem started after they had been added. I've now removed/uninstalled them, and deleted the cache files and NeighborhoodManager, but it's still crashing.

I don't know if this would be of any help at all, but I had a corrupt hood after playing twice and I had UC version myself. (flashing blue terrain in hood mode), and I too installed custom content and mods. After I visited meetme2theriver's live journal and finding those templates, and installing them, I have not yet suffered one itty bitty problem as far as I can see. It takes a little work and time to install the clean hoods, but perhaps it may help your situation.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 14th Sep 2014 at 2:42 AM
Quote: Originally posted by LadySilverwolf
I don't know if this would be of any help at all, but I had a corrupt hood after playing twice and I had UC version myself. (flashing blue terrain in hood mode), and I too installed custom content and mods. After I visited meetme2theriver's live journal and finding those templates, and installing them, I have not yet suffered one itty bitty problem as far as I can see. It takes a little work and time to install the clean hoods, but perhaps it may help your situation.

Oh man, I loved meetme2theriver's 'hoods! I did try using them to replace the neighborhoods that came with the game, but unfortunately, they ran into the exact same problem, crashing after playing twice (I'm extremely relieved to know I'm not the only one who's had this!)
Field Researcher
#10 Old 14th Sep 2014 at 2:59 PM
Nuts... was hoping it would help you out, but also glad to know you had already found them. I love the fact she still 'checks' the journal, that she made several 'subhoods' and that its like playing the game straight out of the box without all the broken sims, tokens and broke issues that came with the game. Hardest part about playing a 10 year old game is finding the custom creators and seeing if they are still active. ~chuckles~ (Not complaining mind you ~ I did get the game for free after all!) I just preferred being able to find help if a problem arose.

Other than suggesting to patch the game at least four times through origin interface, (and using Hood Checker) I am unable to offer any other suggestions as I am still very much new to this content and still somewhat shy of the various programs that others use. I wish I could have been of more help to another UC player.
Instructor
#11 Old 14th Sep 2014 at 4:21 PM
Oh man, I loved meetme2theriver's 'hoods! I did try using them to replace the neighborhoods that came with the game, but unfortunately, they ran into the exact same problem, crashing after playing twice (I'm extremely relieved to know I'm not the only one who's had this!)

It might be worthwhile to go through the hassle of re-installing the neighborhoods again, and then not adjusting the graphics while you start the hood three or more times. Maybe you are putting the settings too high for your graphics. Nobody has yet mentioned the possibility that this is a graphics/memory issue, and it makes sense to check. Computer specs, please?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#12 Old 14th Sep 2014 at 8:37 PM
It might be worthwhile to go through the hassle of re-installing the neighborhoods again, and then not adjusting the graphics while you start the hood three or more times. Maybe you are putting the settings too high for your graphics. Nobody has yet mentioned the possibility that this is a graphics/memory issue, and it makes sense to check. Computer specs, please?

CPU: Intel(R) Core i7-4910MQ
RAM: 16384 MB
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 880M
MANUFACTURER/MODEL: Alienware 17
Mad Poster
#13 Old 14th Sep 2014 at 8:42 PM
Have you updated to the new video card driver from Nvidia.

You might want to turn off all but 1 core for Sims 2 and see if that helps.

Test Subject
Original Poster
#14 Old 14th Sep 2014 at 9:32 PM
Have you updated to the new video card driver from Nvidia.

You might want to turn off all but 1 core for Sims 2 and see if that helps.

Thanks for that tip - I ran a full GeForce update just now, so my NVIDIA driver should be up to date. However, when I loaded the game, it still crashed.

As for turning off the cores, um, how do I do that? (Forgive me, I'm still learning how to work this machine!)
Mad Poster
#15 Old 14th Sep 2014 at 9:37 PM
Test Subject
Original Poster
#16 Old 14th Sep 2014 at 10:18 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Annaminna
http://modthesims.info/wiki.php?tit...ual_Core_Issues

WOW, this actually seems like it might be doing the trick! After re-installing clean neighborhoods, I've managed to load the same neighborhood and lot three times without any trouble.

I haven't changed the screen resolution from 800X600, though, or added any CC. Doing so will be the acid test. Do you guys think I should edit the resolution first, or try some CC?
Instructor
#17 Old 14th Sep 2014 at 10:41 PM
WOW, this actually seems like it might be doing the trick! After re-installing clean neighborhoods, I've managed to load the same neighborhood and lot three times without any trouble.

I haven't changed the screen resolution from 800X600, though, or added any CC. Doing so will be the acid test. Do you guys think I should edit the resolution first, or try some CC?

I would try some CC first. Then, when that works, I would inch up the graphics. But your system ought to handle maxxed out sttings without a hiccup.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#18 Old 15th Sep 2014 at 12:13 AM
I would try some CC first. Then, when that works, I would inch up the graphics. But your system ought to handle maxxed out sttings without a hiccup.

. . . Well, so much for adjusting affinity. I ran through the experiment of adding CC, bit by bit, and starting up the game after each new addition. Everything went fine until I added InTeenimater - when I did that, the game crashed at the same point again on the neighborhood loading screen. So I removed all InTeen files, but once again, the game is still crashing.

(Just to be clear, the CC I added before that were CEP, Scriptorium, default skin, eye, and face replacements, and some custom stairs.)
Instructor
#19 Old 15th Sep 2014 at 12:26 AM
Are you running the game in compatibility mode, XP service pack 2? That is working for me, without doing any core disabling.
Mad Poster
#20 Old 15th Sep 2014 at 12:39 AM
I think the problem is gona be that "Scriptorium" for it changes or adds to core files of the game and that may be the cause of the crashes, no other mod that is listed does this.
Scriptorium was made before UC came out and it may not support how UC runs the game.

I would remove Scriptorium and any thing it uses and test it out that way.

Test Subject
Original Poster
#21 Old 15th Sep 2014 at 12:46 AM
I think the problem is gona be that "Scriptorium" for it changes or adds to core files of the game and that may be the cause of the crashes, no other mod that is listed does this.
Scriptorium was made before UC came out and it may not support how UC runs the game.

I would remove Scriptorium and any thing it uses and test it out that way.

I really don't think that's it. I just did as you said, and uninstalled Scriptorium and removed all its files, but the game is still crashing. I also had UC installed on my old machine, and Scriptorium worked fine for that one.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#22 Old 15th Sep 2014 at 12:51 AM
Are you running the game in compatibility mode, XP service pack 2? That is working for me, without doing any core disabling.

Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to help either. I just tried that setting, with Windows' program compatibility troubleshooting, but it still crashed.
Mad Poster
#23 Old 15th Sep 2014 at 12:52 AM
After removing Scriptorium did you do a repair by right clicking on UC icon in Origin.

If this don't work then I am out of ideas for my UC works just fine with or with out InTeen or any other teen mod, oh well I tried.

Test Subject
Original Poster
#24 Old 15th Sep 2014 at 12:54 AM
After removing Scriptorium did you do a repair by right clicking on UC icon in Origin.

Oop, I forgot that part! *goes to start repair*
Test Subject
Original Poster
#25 Old 15th Sep 2014 at 2:16 AM
Oop, I forgot that part! *goes to start repair*

Nope, it's still crashing at the same point after repair.
Page 1 of 3