Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 14th Sep 2014 at 7:52 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Disappearing clothes - Maxis original
Hello,

I've never written here before, so please forgive me if this is the wrong category for the problem I'm about to share. I deleted what I thought was a downloaded clothing item; however, it was also a Maxis Original. I noticed there were several duplicates that were showing as CC and Maxis Original, and somehow I was still able to delete at least one or two (that were showing up as CC). I don't even reall downloaded some of them. I'm attaching two files so you can see for yourselves. The arrow is pointing at the clothings that are supposed to show, but aren't. This was in Everyday wear, but has made an affect on Undies as well.

I'm worried that the problem will stick even if I choose to reinstall the game. Has anyone ever experienced something like this?
Screenshots
Advertisement
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#2 Old 15th Sep 2014 at 1:16 AM
It probably was a downloaded item. If you download a skin which needs a custom mesh but don't download and install the mesh, what you see is a duplicate EAxis skin which is shown as CC (and that suit is one of the ones that turns up for male CC skins without their mesh). So the first thing is I think it is unlikely you have deleted a Maxis original skin (in fact you can't do that in normal circumstances).

I'm not entirely clear what you think the problem is. Is it that you are selecting EAxis clothing and what you're getting is no texture showing? That's probably something to do with addressing of textures getting mixed up. Not sure if this is a known issue but you could start by deleting the cache files, particularly cigen.package which is a sort of cache for Bodyshop/CAS. They're in

My Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2\

I'm not sure that will help but that's the first thing I'd do.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Scholar
#3 Old 15th Sep 2014 at 3:52 PM
If that is the UC you're playing, and if maxon's advice doesn't work, try going into your Origin (on desktop), right clicking the UC and selecting "Repair game files"

and see if that works. It is probably just your cache.

The drop off has been made. You've been warned.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 15th Sep 2014 at 6:19 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunately, that cache didn't do anything after deleting it. I'm not playing the UC -- I wasn't even aware of it before searching on yahoo! I don't know what to do because whenever you delete a CC, you remove it permanently from the computer, and that has me worried that nothing will work to fix this.

maxon -- The problem is that more than half of Undies are no longer working/body don't show at all, and 17 outfits under Everyday wear (all University) are showing that suit instead of the outfits that should appear. Half under PJs has the same issue; I just checked. And it's not only male clothing, but female as well. This caused quite a problem; far more than I realised yesterday.
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 15th Sep 2014 at 7:02 PM
Do you have Phaenoh's Clothing Mod in your downloads folder?

Do you have access your Basegame CD/DVD? If so replace the catalogue folder and objects.package with the one on the disc. The catalogue folder and objects.package on your machine will be in Program Files under either The Sims 2/TSData/Res or The Sims 2 Double Deluxe/TSData/Res depending on your install.

You'll need to do the same with your university disc and the catalogue and objects.package on your machine in The Sims University/TSData/Res.

If that fixes your problem set your object.packages to read only for each EP.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 16th Sep 2014 at 3:57 PM
Yes, I still have all discs for each expansion packs and the base game. I'm not entirely sure what you're suggestion though - should I reinstall everything and then replace those two folders? Sorry, I'm a little bit confused.

I haven't got Phaenoh's Clothing Mod.

I don't typically install each of the expansion packs anymore -- I simpy reset neighbourhoods (like Pleasantview). Does that matter somehow?
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 16th Sep 2014 at 9:46 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Melodia
Yes, I still have all discs for each expansion packs and the base game. I'm not entirely sure what you're suggestion though - should I reinstall everything and then replace those two folders? Sorry, I'm a little bit confused.

Just replace those two folders for each of your effected EPs with the ones on the CD. The only reason I'm suggesting it is it sounds like one of the packages files in your programs files is corrupt and this is easier and less risk than uninstalling and reinstalling. You shouldn't do a complete reinstall unless you absolutely have to and you aren't at that point yet.

Phaenoh's Clothing Mod comes with lots of warnings not to just shove it in your downloads because it lets you delete Maxis clothing in game that way which is a very bad thing and causes similar results.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 17th Sep 2014 at 4:20 AM
All right, so this kind of issue is known to have happened before? At least that's a bit comforting.

What I am still confused about is from where am I replacing those folders, and into where? Do I need to insert each of the four discs from the basegame, and for every other EP? Dumb questions maybe, but I want to make sure I'm following your advice precisly and have it work. I'm not very good with computers when it comes down to these things.
Mad Poster
#9 Old 17th Sep 2014 at 5:16 AM
Before you do this, have you done any default replacement?

Ever since I started doing default replacements, I generally have one or two outfits that didn't quite get the memo, or I got a bad texture, or a bad mesh, or something; and it has exactly this effect. So if you have added defaults, pull them out and see if the clothes come back. If they do, you just need to figure out what which one it was.

The objects packages would need to be copied from the disk of each affected EP. To find out if your objects packages have been corrupted, go to Programs Files/EAGames. You'll find folders for each EP and SP, and each will contain about three subfolders, one of which will be named Res and will contain a subfolder called Objects, which will have the objects.package file in it. Check the date on this. If it matches the date of the other files for that EP, it's fine. If it has a more recent date, something has changed in it, and that is not a good thing. So you delete it, replace it with a copy of the original file off the disk, and then lock it so that it will never be written to again.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Test Subject
Original Poster
#10 Old 17th Sep 2014 at 4:00 PM Last edited by Melodia : 17th Sep 2014 at 4:12 PM.
No, I've tried to install default replacement; however, for some strange reason I never got them to work (and now I never want default replacements anyway). Same goes for other random custom content; they won't appear at all despite of downloading and installing them correctly.

I checked most objects.package files for my expansion packs and none of them has been changed recently. The recent file for Apartment Life was created in July 2008 and has remained unchanged since.

That cigen.package was last changed on Dec 29th 2013, by the way; I just checked.

Bottom line is, everything became a mess after I deleted one, two or three clothes that were horrible looking and took me by surprise because there was no way I'd ever download them in the first place. Everything was normal up until that point.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#11 Old 18th Sep 2014 at 11:42 PM
I believe it's possible to delete maxis items if they get a custom star on them. I forget how that can happen now, but I do know if you do, it is a VBT.

Copy paste from this thread http://modthesims.info/t/295952
Nysha
Quote:
Yes - you'll need to replace sims0x.package files until the clothes show up. You'll find them on the game disks, inside compressed.zip -> TSData\Res\Sims3D, and you'll need to put them in Program Files/EA Games/The Sims 2 whatever/TSData/Res/Sims3D. Do the ones from the EPs you know the clothes came from first.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#12 Old 19th Sep 2014 at 8:38 AM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
I believe it's possible to delete maxis items if they get a custom star on them. I forget how that can happen now, but I do know if you do, it is a VBT.

It's usually if you use one of those recategorising mods but put the files in Downloads instead of the game files. I'm guessing that's not the case here.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#13 Old 19th Sep 2014 at 9:15 AM
No I wasn't thinking of that but de-customized clothing. http://www.digitalperversion.net/ga...p?topic=23859.0

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~