Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 2nd Nov 2014 at 1:41 AM
Strangetown: really, REALLY corrupted?
I've heard that Strangetown is the most effed-up neighbourhood out of all the ones shipped with TS2. I've also heard there are ways to remove the corruption (such as clean templates).

Yesterday I was being pretty lazy: I decided to create sims IN Strangetown, and not a custom world. It was a one-off, I'd never do it again. So, my sim's downtown looking for a girlfriend. Long story short she finds a girl who she likes and they start talking. The girl then changes into her swimwear and jumps into the pool there (this was at that "Love Maze" park). I realised then that, while she was in the pool, she had no hair. Not just bald, but the space where her hair was was transparent and I could see into her head. I automatically thought "I should probably stay away for that sim," and left. I didn't listen to myself and got with that girl, and while those two were doing the nasty, she had the exact same problem with the transparent head. I moved her in and changed her whole appearance so that glitch went away.

Fast forward, they had a child. The girl with the transparent head (but not anymore) decided to play video games. Once she finished, she picked up the controller and threw it in the bin. I automatically assumed it was some sort of corruption and quit without saving.

What is causing this? Is it really the corrupted Strangetown? I have default hair replacements installed (and that's what that girl was wearing), so maybe it glitched and created the transparent hair issue. As for the video game... Maybe it was a one-off? It was really strange, because I'm pretty sure you could go right ahead and play the game once you throw out the controller. I didn't want to generate a new one just in case. Also: You can't delete birthday cakes from your inventory? Is this normal?

Does anyone also mind reminding me how to de-corrupt the Maxis hoods? Thanks
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 2nd Nov 2014 at 1:43 AM
You should get Tarlia's cleaned hood; it's free of corruption. The hair could be caused by the replacements
Theorist
#3 Old 2nd Nov 2014 at 1:53 AM
In fact, if you want to de-corrupt the Maxis hoods, you should get all of Tarlia's cleaned versions. It's really hard to do right, and she already did all the work for you: http://meetme2theriver.livejournal.com/63030.html

Strangetown is the most corrupted of the premade hoods, so that's probably a factor. It could also be a bad default replacement hair that doesn't have the correct states for Swimwear and Naked outfits, which you could check by putting it on another sim in a different hood and then telling them to get in the pool. If there's a problem, it's the hair. If there's no problem, it's Strangetown.

Back up your game first of course!

esmeiolanthe's Live Journal and Tumblr
Most recent story update: Fuchs That! on 2/21/15
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#4 Old 2nd Nov 2014 at 3:01 AM
Birthday cake must be cleaned up. Could the controller have been broken? I don't give many sims a TV, let alone the gaming thingame so I am not certain on that, but I believe they can break on rare occasions. The hair sounds like a cc issue, but it could also be corruption.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Alchemist
#5 Old 2nd Nov 2014 at 7:33 AM
I don't think the hair was corruption, that can happen to me sometimes. That she threw the controller sure is strange, but I'm not quite sure if that corrupts the game? It might just be that it is some kind of strange in-game behaviour that does not happen that often that is not quite healthy to the game (like smashing the urn).

I am right now on generation 4 playing in Maxis Strangetown, everything is fine and I can't see any corruption, we'll see how far I can go.
Other than that, I don't like Tarlia's hoods. Did she have to delete all the townies?!?!
Mad Poster
#7 Old 2nd Nov 2014 at 8:18 AM
The controllers can get detached from the console, I believe it happens when the console is sold at an owned business.

I have the old HP Uberhood and it's corrupted to hell (the curious brothers' lot is messed up) but I don't want to start again.

I use the sims as a psychology simulator...
Mad Poster
#8 Old 2nd Nov 2014 at 8:35 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Kaiko Espurr Mikkusu
I don't think she deleted Crystal Vu and Abjeet Cho.. right? RIGHT?
In Strangetown Tarlia kept the townies and NPCs who have a relationship with playables, but left out all the others.

I actually wish she'd make versions with all the townies in. For a test I briefly tried playing her Veronaville, and found it boring without all the characters I know and love from my main game. Without the townies all I got was Montys and Capps fighting.

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Mad Poster
#9 Old 2nd Nov 2014 at 10:55 AM
It's no doubt to stop townie bloat and to make the neighbourhood healthier. Lots of people also prefer to make their own townies and control how many there are.
Mad Poster
#10 Old 2nd Nov 2014 at 3:13 PM
If you *really* care enough, you can always extract the townies with SimPE, make a note of their stats and then import them, cheat up their stats and make them into townies.

I use the sims as a psychology simulator...
Mad Poster
#12 Old 2nd Nov 2014 at 6:12 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simsfreq
If you *really* care enough, you can always extract the townies with SimPE, make a note of their stats and then import them, cheat up their stats and make them into townies.
I did do that for Veronaville, when I thought it was terminally corrupt, and I was going to have to rebuild from scratch. (It turned out to be a CC glitch, so I just went on playing.)

However I didn't bother doing the same for Strangetown because I didn't know the Strangetown townies. I just created my own townies with the Townie Tree. (And because I made some mistakes, I ended up with nearly forty!) But I can't help feeling that, if the Strangetown townies are half as fascinating as the Veronaville ones, I've missed out on meeting some very interesting Sims.

I suppose that I'll just have to console myself by meeting the ones that I spawned. Hopefully they'll be fun too!

[EDIT] Tarlia's Pleasantview does include all the townies, so you do get to meet Goopy, Meadow and Marsha. I just wish she'd do the same for Strangetown and Veronaville. Maybe if we went to her site and asked really nicely. . .

My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
Alchemist
#13 Old 2nd Nov 2014 at 6:17 PM
Quote: Originally posted by AndrewGloria
In Strangetown Tarlia kept the townies and NPCs who have a relationship with playables, but left out all the others.

I actually wish she'd make versions with all the townies in. For a test I briefly tried playing her Veronaville, and found it boring without all the characters I know and love from my main game. Without the townies all I got was Montys and Capps fighting.

Veronaville townies are the best, maybe it's because I don't play Veronaville that often but I just think they all look really cute and interesting!
Mad Poster
#14 Old 2nd Nov 2014 at 9:10 PM
Quote: Originally posted by AndrewGloria
[EDIT] Tarlia's Pleasantview does include all the townies, so you do get to meet Goopy, Meadow and Marsha. I just wish she'd do the same for Strangetown and Veronaville. Maybe if we went to her site and asked really nicely. . .

Tarlia's been asked. When she made them, she removed the townies early in the process. She'd have to do it all over again to save the townies. What you could do is go to Mara's live journal and ask her here: http://maranatah.livejournal.com/107747.html where she has some extracted already and will take requests.

Pics from my game: Sunbee's Simblr Sunbee's Livejournal
"English is a marvelous edged weapon if you know how to wield it." C.J. Cherryh
Field Researcher
#15 Old 2nd Nov 2014 at 9:36 PM
No I don't want spyware with that!
Quote: Originally posted by esmeiolanthe
In fact, if you want to de-corrupt the Maxis hoods, you should get all of Tarlia's cleaned versions. It's really hard to do right, and she already did all the work for you: http://meetme2theriver.livejournal.com/63030.html
I'm really really sorry if this is the wrong place for this, but I've seen links to that site before on here; when I tried to download one of the neighborhoods, the download site it links to tried to force me to pay while my antispyware program popped up with a warning that it wanted to download spyware onto my computer! I did see a red text warning on the page that the download site has its moments, but if the downloads are coming from such an untrustworthy site I think I'll stick to the sadly corrupted neighborhoods that come with the game.
Mad Poster
#16 Old 2nd Nov 2014 at 9:43 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Sunbee
Tarlia's been asked. When she made them, she removed the townies early in the process. She'd have to do it all over again to save the townies. What you could do is go to Mara's live journal and ask her here: http://maranatah.livejournal.com/107747.html where she has some extracted already and will take requests.
I actually extracted and cloned all the Veronaville townies myself, in preparation for the rebuilding of Veronaville which, in the event, I didn't have to do. Might this be of any help to anyone else? One or two of them, who had become playable in my game, have been changed into new outfits, but substantially they are all as Maxis made them. They are all sitting in my Saved Sims folder, but it would be easy enough to export them. I suppose I could do the same for Strangetown if anyone was interested.

My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
Theorist
#17 Old 2nd Nov 2014 at 9:46 PM
@jaytee95 I've never heard of that happening with Tarlia's cleaned hoods before, although I believe they are hosted on MediaFire. MediaFire is a big site, and it's always possible for any site to acquire spyware. On the other hand, sometimes MTS is flagged as having spyware or viruses by certain programs, and it's a safe site -- just false positives. It's probably worth mentioning for other folks that Tarlia is trustworthy, LiveJournal is trustworthy, and that her download links go directly to a known and usually trustworthy site. Still, you know your own comfort level best, and you need to do what's best for you. As long as you make frequent backups of your game (which is always good practice no mater what), you'll be fine.

esmeiolanthe's Live Journal and Tumblr
Most recent story update: Fuchs That! on 2/21/15
Mad Poster
#18 Old 2nd Nov 2014 at 10:50 PM
Quote: Originally posted by jaytee95
I'm really really sorry if this is the wrong place for this, but I've seen links to that site before on here; when I tried to download one of the neighborhoods, the download site it links to tried to force me to pay while my antispyware program popped up with a warning that it wanted to download spyware onto my computer! I did see a red text warning on the page that the download site has its moments, but if the downloads are coming from such an untrustworthy site I think I'll stick to the sadly corrupted neighborhoods that come with the game.
I'm sorry about that.

I've never had any difficulties like that with Tarlia's 'hoods. I have downloaded Tarlia's versions of Pleasantview, Strangetown and Veronaville as main 'hoods, her Downtown (both with and without Downtownies), and her Bluewater Village shopping district. If you trust me, you could PM me with your email address, and I could try to send them to you as attachments. Either my Email provider or yours might block the .zip or .rar files as inadmissible or too large, but I can't see any harm in trying.

I actually use Tarlia's Pleasantview and Strangetown, but I still use Maxis Veronaville with its attached Maxis Downtown because I started Veronaville before I knew about Tarlia's 'hoods. I expect that I'll shortly be attaching Tarlia's Bluewater Village to it.

My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
Scholar
#19 Old 3rd Nov 2014 at 1:35 AM
jaytee95, I'm very certain that what you experienced was malware from somewhere else and not from the files at meetme2thervier's livejournal.