Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Longer Song Titles v5

by scumbumbo Posted 16th Nov 2014 at 8:36 PM - Updated 17th Apr 2019 at 9:16 PM by scumbumbo : Updated for current (April 16, 2019) game patch

44 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 25 Feedback Posts, 18 Thanks Posts
Thanks are currently OFF: Show Thanks Posts for this thread
Page 1 of 2
Scholar
#2 Old 16th Nov 2014 at 9:58 PM
Your description alone made me want to use your mod, thank you for sharing it!
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#3 Old 16th Nov 2014 at 11:22 PM
Thank you for making room for my creative interpretations
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#4 Old 17th Nov 2014 at 12:54 AM
I was hoping someone would do this at some point...was driving me mad. Thanks!
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#5 Old 17th Nov 2014 at 1:16 AM
excellent, thank you
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#6 Old 17th Nov 2014 at 1:40 AM
Awesome!

Can you do same with sim's last name? Maxis uses too long last name with Olivia (Spencer-Kim-Lewis).
Field Researcher
THANKS POST
#7 Old 17th Nov 2014 at 6:13 AM
Fall Out Boys and Fiona Apple disagree with your reasoning about 60 characters limit.

This falls into the category of thing-i-didnt-know-i-need-but-now-i-know-it-exists-i-cant-live-without-it. Thanks :D
Field Researcher
THANKS POST
#8 Old 17th Nov 2014 at 10:24 AM
Thank you!
And I am dying of laughter at "Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving With a Pict".
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#9 Old 17th Nov 2014 at 11:23 AM
It is the little things like this that just annoy you when you find them. Thanks for fixing this annoyance. "My Heart Belongs Onl"
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#10 Old 17th Nov 2014 at 7:30 PM
Thank you, this mod is really awesome!
Test Subject
#11 Old 18th Nov 2014 at 1:27 AM
If you could do the same for the last names of newborn Sims, that would be awesomesauce. I see someone else here has mentioned this as well. Possible?
Lab Assistant
#12 Old 18th Nov 2014 at 1:48 AM
Quote: Originally posted by monksims
Awesome!

Can you do same with sim's last name? Maxis uses too long last name with Olivia (Spencer-Kim-Lewis).

+1

Thanks for this mod though.
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#13 Old 18th Nov 2014 at 4:23 AM
Nice Pink Floyd reference!!!!
Deceased
Original Poster
#14 Old 18th Nov 2014 at 5:10 AM
Quote: Originally posted by LyricDawnhagen
"My Heart Belongs Onl"

LOL - thanks!
Deceased
Original Poster
#15 Old 18th Nov 2014 at 5:15 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simsnut622
Nice Pink Floyd reference!!!!

Glad you got a kick out of it.

Should have mentioned another one of my favorite long song titles, "Supergroovalisticprosifunkstication." Big question is, am I showing my diverse musical tastes there, or just my age?!!
Deceased
Original Poster
#16 Old 18th Nov 2014 at 5:25 AM Last edited by scumbumbo : 18th Nov 2014 at 6:03 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by Featherywolf
If you could do the same for the last names of newborn Sims, that would be awesomesauce. I see someone else here has mentioned this as well. Possible?

Possibly for newborns, but doing that for CAS would be tricky. I've played around a bit with editing the UI dialogs, but not to much success (was working on allowing households w/o an adult). Much of the code, at least for the households w/o an adult, is buried in the actual C source code (which we can't change) and not the Python scripting.

I may take a look at it some day if someone else doesn't beat me to it. I know you can input longer last names using my Change Sim Name or Gender mod, but since the console converts everything to lower-case I only capitalize the first letter of the names, so a hyphenated name comes out looking a bit odd, although better than nothing, e.g. "Spencer-kim-lewis". Maybe I should make that code capitalize anything following a dash, that should work well. Odd, I never thought of that until now!

But I'm working on something else at the moment, in final testing - might be done tonight - but then I plan to take a break and do some playing for a while!

EDIT: Just went into CAS with the sim I renamed with the last name "Spencer-kim-lewis" and it flags it in CAS as being too long and has to be changed! It looks like the only real proper fix for long last names would be to edit the user interface which, as I mentioned, may not be easy or even possible.
Test Subject
#17 Old 18th Nov 2014 at 10:50 AM
Quote: Originally posted by scumbumbo
Maybe I should make that code capitalize anything following a dash, that should work well. Odd, I never thought of that until now!

Or maybe you could add code to capitalize anything following a backslash and to strip all backslashes before applying the name. That way it would be possible to make up names like MacTavish or O'Donnell by typing mac\tavish.

Thanks for letting us know you've been wrestling with last name problem already.
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#18 Old 20th Nov 2014 at 4:31 AM
OMG, BEST DESCRIPTION EVER. I don't even play as a songwriter, but downloaded anyway, lol.
Deceased
Original Poster
#19 Old 24th Nov 2014 at 1:26 AM
Quote: Originally posted by monksims

I played around with the CAS screen for several hours but couldn't get longer names to be accepted by the code, it would claim they were blank.

I've updated my Change Sim Name or Gender mod to do some better capitalization. Some of the options are pretty complex, but a name like Olivia Spencer-Kim-Lewis can just be entered as Olivia Spencer-Kim-Lewis.

I also used Monksims' suggestion to use a backslash for forcing capital letters, so you can now enter mac\tavish or o'\donnell.
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#20 Old 24th Nov 2014 at 8:27 PM
thank you
Test Subject
#21 Old 2nd Dec 2014 at 8:54 PM
Quote: Originally posted by scumbumbo
I also used Monksims' suggestion to use a backslash for forcing capital letters, so you can now enter mac\tavish or o'\donnell.

Nice one.
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#22 Old 11th Dec 2014 at 1:52 AM
Thanks - mainly for the 'Floyd reference. Made me smile.
Deceased
Original Poster
#23 Old 17th Dec 2014 at 5:35 AM
This mod has been updated for the December 16th (career) game patch. Please download version 2 if you have updated your game and be sure to remove the old mod if you update. The changes fix some bugs with children writing songs and updates some in-game text.
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#24 Old 30th Dec 2014 at 2:48 AM
Thanks, this is useful. Is it possible to do this same thing with book titles & descriptions, and if so, are you going to make one for books?
Deceased
Original Poster
#25 Old 14th Jan 2015 at 6:13 AM
I have checked this mod for compatibility with the January 13 game update and there do not appear to be any changes required.
Page 1 of 2