Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 30th Jan 2015 at 1:26 PM
Default Need to create or find special type of staircase
I’m unsure where exactly to put this thread, as it could fit in the Help and WCIF forums as well. Would it be okay if I also created this thread in those forums, as they seem more active? I’m looking for (or trying to create) a special type of staircase. I’ve created an underground area with a ceiling. With Gridadjuster I’ve raised some of the ceiling’s floor tiles, which the game regards as level 1, so that they would visually align with the terrain (see picture). However, since the terrain is regarded as level 0, sims have to use a staircase so that they can transcend from the terrain onto the floor tiles.

I remember creating a thread regarding this issue years ago. Back then users replied that such “staircases” or transition-points had indeed been created. When I recently searched for such an object, I found only one that might be suitable. I will attach it to this post.

It’s nothing that I can use of now, as there obviously is a problem with its height. As I see it, there are now three ways for me to proceed:

• Edit the aforementioned staircase so that it fits my needs. I’ve been looking for a tutorial on how to create staircases. The ones I’ve found are unfortunately no longer available. Does anyone know where to find one?

• Download an object that fits my needs. Like I said, I’m fairly sure that such an object already exists. No need to invent the wheel one more time. Here, I’m also having a hard time with directions. If anyone knows where to download these objects, then please leave a link

• Create the desired functions without new content and instead make use of what the game has to offer - maybe it’s possible to do what I want by taking advantage of the available cheats?

Alternatively, I might be able to use a modular staircase instead. I was able to place such a staircase and connect the levels together. Naturally, when sims used the staircase they performed their usual animation, which meant that they sunk down into the terrain while walking up and down the staircase.
Is it possible to force the game to use another animation, by editing the staircases' BHAVs? If sims would use the walk-over-an-object-animation instead of the staircase-walk-animation, it would be acceptable. And there are invisible modular stairs available for download, so that’s all fine.
Attached files:
File Type: rar  fake_staircase.rar (5.1 KB, 8 downloads) - View custom content
Advertisement
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#2 Old 30th Jan 2015 at 3:52 PM
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 30th Jan 2015 at 5:25 PM Last edited by Pirat3 : 30th Jan 2015 at 8:32 PM.
WOW! You're awesome! Those modular stairs are exactly what I need. Thanks you so much! Yeah, I know the other staircase was 16 clicks heigh, which was why I couldn't apply it (or at least I didn't know how to do so). It had to be less than 16 clicks.