Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
#26 Old 7th Mar 2015 at 11:50 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Roseblossom90
Personally, I like aliens because of the genetics. I have a PT mod with four different PTs so my aliens don't look like the original maxis ones, but I like seeing how long the green skin tone will be passed through the generations. I also enjoy the rare moment when I get a sim with a normal skin tone and the black alien eyes. Then there is always the twist in the story line when an unsuspecting sim gets abducted and has to fit a new little baby into their life who is so obviously different. Also, I have a mod that allows abductions to end in not only pregnancy, but also the abducted sim could return as a vampire, witch, werewolf, or any supernatural due to the aliens' experiments....

As far as Strangetown, I have only played that hood a very very little bit, maybe a week in the many years I have had the game, so I can't tell you much about that.

Wow. That's different if you don't mind me asking where did you find the mod? If you don't remember I can always randomize it with a dice but it's a really good idea
Advertisement
Forum Resident
#27 Old 8th Mar 2015 at 12:30 AM
Quote: Originally posted by SayanAmanda
Wow. That's different if you don't mind me asking where did you find the mod? If you don't remember I can always randomize it with a dice but it's a really good idea

http://www.leefish.nl/mybb/showthread.php?tid=938 Here is where I found the mod. Just make sure you read it all first because you have to have a certain PT pack or tweak the mod in SimPE to work with your PT Pack.

The moon so bright shows me the way
Deep in the graveyard beside her I lay
Knowing she'll keep me safe from all harms
Though six feet apart, I lay in her arms...
Lab Assistant
#28 Old 8th Mar 2015 at 1:06 AM
Personally, I love Strangetown because it's probably the BG 'hood with the best set-up for true sandbox storytelling, IMO.

When I was younger, I used to dislike Strangetown because it was... well, too strange. I didn't like the dark backstories, the desert surroundings, the sense of isolation, or the ugly alien faces. At first I wanted an idyllic, beautiful neighborhood where all was peace and everybody lived happily-ever-after, just like in my TS1 game. (Pleasantview and Veronaville filled neither criteria, but after a lot of brainwashing and relationship-breaking/mending I finally got my Disney spin on the storyline ) Come puberty, I was all about soap opera-style drama, so Pleasantview was my #1 fave.

After my game crashed and burned, though, I felt completely unmotivated to start over. It'd just be the same old storylines all over again - the Don/Cassandra/Darren triangle, the Pleasants' divorce, will Dina/Nina get Mortimer's money, etc. It also gets pretty exhaustive to play with multiple dramatic storylines in rotations; every time I feel like I'm starting to get into something, I have to start over with somebody else instead. Due to the size of the 'hood (+ Bluewater, which I almost always add to it), people also felt disconnected to each other; there were pretty much set social circles, even more so due to all the drama-induced enmity.

I had none of that with Strangetown, which I seriously started playing for the first time after that. First off, the town is so small everybody knows each other after a few welcome wagons/parties/visits to the community lots. Second, you have the backstories and the general atmosphere of the town to go with it, but the storylines aren't imposed on you the way it is in the other two 'hoods. Sure, there are some pre-set relationships (such as the Loki/Circe/Vidcund thing, or Tank/Ripp disliking each other), but for the most part, you can go with anything.

For instance, I had one Strangetown version where Olive Specter actually wasn't a murderer at all, but carried a secret family curse where everybody who got close to her would inevitably die - hence why she had no children, and isolated herself from the rest of the community. Grimmy knew her well due to the curse and comforted her after Ichabod's death - the one man she'd hoped against hope would survive - and that's how Nervous came to be. Afraid that Nervous would carry on the curse, she hoped that it would disappear by her giving him up as her child and refraining from contacting him. (Also explaining how they don't know each other at all initially, despite its being such a small town.) Buzz being Buzz, of course, was still suspicious - especially since he'd always suspected Olive was the one who talked his wife into divorcing him :P

The same goes for the aliens, basically. You could roll with the whole supposed occult thing and give them "superpowers" with cheats and mods, or you could forgo the whole thing entirely and just treat them as any other sim. In the same Strangetown save mentioned above, I considered the town to be the safe haven for 2nd-gen aliens to reside in, because that's the only place where they wouldn't be considered "strange". I've also read of other simmers turning Strangetown into a battleground between aliens vs. humans/sims, and that's an interesting spin, too. As opposed to the other occults where you have to abide by their certain restrictions, you can do anything with them.
Field Researcher
#29 Old 8th Mar 2015 at 11:35 AM
I had a very wild imagination as a child and had no trouble coming up with plot twists for Strangetown's folk, as it was my favourite neighborhood back in the day. One reason could be that it was so different from the other two - Veronaville seemed uninteresting then since I wasn't into Shakespeare at all and Pleasantview just bored 9-year old me. I mean, why would I have enjoyed playing with something that's so close to reality, with "normal" looking people and houses and all?
The characters were interesting too - my absolute favourite sim was Olive Specter, she was so wicked and fascinating. I'd spend hours trying to figure out just what happened in her past, studying her memories and stuff like that.

Well, ten years have passed and now I rarely visit Strangetown. I do still like it but I prefer the other two, especially Veronaville, which fits perfectly into historical stories in my opinion. I just changed as a person, and ten years is a long time
Page 2 of 2