Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Change Career Branch v3

by scumbumbo Posted 13th Mar 2015 at 5:15 AM - Updated 26th Jun 2015 at 4:30 AM by scumbumbo : Brazilian Portuguese translation added

89 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 56 Feedback Posts, 32 Thanks Posts
Thanks are currently OFF: Show Thanks Posts for this thread
Page 1 of 4
Theorist
THANKS POST
#2 Old 13th Mar 2015 at 5:48 AM
Thank you you amazing S.O.B. =D
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#3 Old 13th Mar 2015 at 7:30 AM
Thanks a lot now I can finally get the aspirations which require you to reach a specific branch like mixologist branch!
Instructor
THANKS POST
#4 Old 13th Mar 2015 at 7:50 AM
This is such an awesome mod. I hated not being able to change career branches. Will you do a version so doing both branches of a career will be possible?
Field Researcher
#5 Old 13th Mar 2015 at 9:12 AM
OMG THANK YOU SO MUCH!! :D
Here is the STBL file for Chinese translation. LOVE THIS MOD. :lovestruc
Attached files:
File Type: zip  STBL_02-CN.zip (318 Bytes, 23 downloads)
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#6 Old 13th Mar 2015 at 12:16 PM
Thank you so much...<3
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#7 Old 13th Mar 2015 at 12:49 PM
Great work thank you
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#8 Old 13th Mar 2015 at 2:43 PM
Thank you =)
Scholar
#9 Old 13th Mar 2015 at 4:20 PM
Is it okay if I study your mod (specifically, the new menu option) so I can possibly begin work again on my Dropout mod?

1/8/2016: New avatar! Pre-censored for EA's approval.
3/19/2015: Teens are too close to YAs. EA needs to either shorten the teens, or add preteens and make YAs look older.
Forum Resident
THANKS POST
#10 Old 13th Mar 2015 at 5:51 PM
thank you
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#11 Old 13th Mar 2015 at 6:01 PM
Thank you for another great mod!
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#12 Old 13th Mar 2015 at 11:24 PM
Ah, this is very much welcome. I prefer doing everything on one sim, and hit a road block with the Mixology aspiration that requires you enter the Mixology branch. So if you already chose Chef, it would never be complete.

I did eventually fix it with a console command. I used "aspirations.complete_current_milestone" to skip over the milestone requiring the Mixology career branch. But this is a much better option.
Deceased
Original Poster
#13 Old 14th Mar 2015 at 12:34 AM
Quote: Originally posted by DrChillgood
Is it okay if I study your mod (specifically, the new menu option) so I can possibly begin work again on my Dropout mod?

@DrChillgood - Absolutely, I strongly believe in sharing everything learned with the modding community so we can all make better mods! If you have any questions, feel free to post on the Modding Discussion board here at MTS, I check it regularly. There's also a sticky thread in there about how to add interactions to sims and objects via Python scripting and I posted a follow-up on there last night about adding the SAs to phones. It's really quite simple!
Deceased
Original Poster
#14 Old 14th Mar 2015 at 12:48 AM
Quote: Originally posted by egureh
Here is the STBL file for Chinese translation. LOVE THIS MOD. :lovestruc

Thanks for this translation! I've updated the mod to version 1a to include it.
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#15 Old 14th Mar 2015 at 1:02 AM
Much appreciated as always, thanks.
Mad Poster
THANKS POST
#16 Old 14th Mar 2015 at 4:14 PM
Yes! Thank you sooooo much! You've made many little Sims happy.
Forum Resident
THANKS POST
#17 Old 14th Mar 2015 at 6:46 PM
If I ever get the Sims 4, this is a must for me. :)
Test Subject
#18 Old 15th Mar 2015 at 1:08 AM
Great idea, but this will trigger the "rejoining a branched career" bug that permanently cripples the sim. It prevents unlocking career rewards by resetting the career level number to below the branching. Eg, if the branch occurs at level 6, it'll reset to level 1 after the branch and you'll only be on level 4 when you max out the career. There is currently no fix: http://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-4...er/td-p/3458877
Deceased
Original Poster
#19 Old 15th Mar 2015 at 1:51 AM Last edited by scumbumbo : 15th Mar 2015 at 5:54 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by tokenbondboy
Great idea, but this will trigger the "rejoining a branched career" bug that permanently cripples the sim. It prevents unlocking career rewards by resetting the career level number to below the branching. Eg, if the branch occurs at level 6, it'll reset to level 1 after the branch and you'll only be on level 4 when you max out the career. There is currently no fix: http://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-4...er/td-p/3458877

This should be okay, but I'll look into it.

EDIT - **CONFIRMED** This is currently an issue. Mod as been updated...
Test Subject
#20 Old 15th Mar 2015 at 2:40 AM
It sure is nice to have the option to switch branches, but I must say I am disappointed. I downloaded the mod so my sim with low level career would get yelled at by the boss, but he just got a message that no career branch is available, and is standing there smiling like an idiot. I was kind of hoping it'd be like when my sims call their friends in the middle of the night. Where is the drama? lol I know this is not the point of this mod but I must say I was hoping he'd really get yelled at or even get an embarrassed moodlet. False advertising in mod description hehe
Deceased
Original Poster
#21 Old 15th Mar 2015 at 3:56 AM
Quote: Originally posted by paika
False advertising in mod description hehe

Sorry -- was feeling whimsical when I wrote the description but not when I wrote the mod I guess
Deceased
Original Poster
#22 Old 15th Mar 2015 at 4:19 AM Last edited by scumbumbo : 15th Mar 2015 at 5:58 AM.
@tokenbondboy - Good find - thanks for reporting the problem with career branch levels.

I've updated the mod to version 2, which should cause the career levels to synch properly. The new version also includes a cheat command (in both the phone and command version) to repair a damaged sim, whether it was caused by this mod or by quitting and rejoining a career. Use the command sims.patch_career_branch to rewind the sim's career back to level 0 of their current branch, resynchronize the levels, and then perform full promotions back to whatever level they were in their branch. These promotions should include any career rewards they normally should have received from promotions.
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#23 Old 15th Mar 2015 at 1:34 PM
Really good fix, it also serves as a solution to EA's original branch reset bug. Thanks @scumbumbo

I just did a quick test of a couple of careers to see what rewards you can get from a second branch... and you can get the both CAS unlocks on the one character if you reach level 10 in both branches, but you don't get all the other item unlocks along the way. Eg, after making it to the level 10 of the Space Ranger career, I switched to International Smuggler and re-levelling 8-10. I didn't get the items normally rewarded for levels 8 or 9 of the International Smuggler branch, as if I'd already earned them, however they also remained locked. But hitting level 10 in the Internationally Smuggler branch triggered the achievement, got the item reward and got the CAS unlock. A mixed result, but a huge improvement to the game design.
Deceased
Original Poster
#24 Old 15th Mar 2015 at 5:20 PM
Quote: Originally posted by tokenbondboy
A mixed result, but a huge improvement to the game design.

Interesting, in my testing I only checked to see if the level 10 unlocks worked out so thought the bug was completely stomped. I'll have to do some wading through the reward code to see if there's a rhyme or reason to why that might still happen. I have a guess as to what might cause the issue, and if it's the case it is probably a unsolvable issue without a complete revamp of career leveling (which may be why EA has fixed it yet). As you say though, it does sound like it's a major improvement, at least achievements work properly and also actions which are tied to the user's career level should work properly now (e.g. musicians being able to write jingles).
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#25 Old 17th Mar 2015 at 2:44 AM
cool
Page 1 of 4