Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 27th Mar 2015 at 1:00 AM
Default Why are the reviews for Supernatural so bad?
i just got Supernatural a few days ago, and before i bought it i read some reviews online. Most of which were bad. i got it despite the bad reviews and, honestly i think its the best EP. they were complaining about the lunar cycle, zombies, bugs, and all sorts of other things. the only one i had a problem with was the zombies, which i gave names and yelled at them through my computer screen. i also had a problem with the loft but i got that fixed.
i find it fun to give names to zombies. "GET OUTTA THE GARDEN, FRED!!!" then i take my witch out and turn them into frog zombies.

i just don't understand.

I've got this place that I filled with empty space
Oh, I'm trying not to face what I've done
My Hopeless Opus
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 27th Mar 2015 at 1:46 AM
I don't like it because it turns everyone in town into fairies, werewolves, witches, and vampires to the point humans become an endangered species. :c
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 27th Mar 2015 at 2:06 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Annything
I don't like it because it turns everyone in town into fairies, werewolves, witches, and vampires to the point humans become an endangered species. :c

you do know that you can go into options and not allow any supernaturals in your town.

I've got this place that I filled with empty space
Oh, I'm trying not to face what I've done
My Hopeless Opus
Instructor
#4 Old 27th Mar 2015 at 2:12 AM
Sometimes, or more likely often, you should consider the source when you read a review. A stranger shouldn't sway our decisions into buying or not buying a product, but we're still tempted to read about what others thought about whatever it is.

And you already know, if you don't like something about a Sims 3 game, there's probably a mod for that. Love your sense of humor with the zombies, I might give them another chance XD Good to hear that you bought it and really like it. I like it too.
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 27th Mar 2015 at 2:19 AM

you can turn those off in the population control settings to prevent EA from creating new ones and then use mods or cheats to get rid of existing ones.

I just use a mod to keep zombies from spawning during the full moon. personally, I was really excited for supernatural and I still love it. moonlight falls is one of my favorite hoods, in big part because it's based on the pacific northwest, where I'm from. occults aren't for everyone though. maybe especially if you don't use any mods.
One Minute Ninja'd
#6 Old 27th Mar 2015 at 2:58 AM
SN was, IMO, one of the better EPs released. I too loved Moonlight Falls, and not just because of the supernaturals, but the town layout was surprisingly usable for an EA world, with lots of empty lots, once you rezoned all those "parks" scattered everywhere.

The supernaturals themselves had some balance and game play issues. The zombies were just frigging annoying. I was really looking forward to them, but when a zombie broke off an attack to take a call on their cell, that was the end of zombies for me. Vampires gave us essentially two groups, the earlier LN vamps, and the SN vamps, which never really integrated smoothly. Witches were way powerful, and werewolves were a disappointment for me.

Still, when later EPs came out, SN didn't really integrate that well with them, except maybe for the witches. The others, to me, felt out of place in later worlds/EPs, and over time, much of SN fell by the wayside for me. I'm still glad I have it, but it's not part of my daily sim experience right now.

And as lindali365 helpfully pointed out, consider the sources for reviews. They're only people with an opinion, and yours is as valid as theirs, so always weigh the value of a review against that person's track record. Even then, you're not guaranteed perfect calls every time. Even with the best of intentions, folks make mistakes.
Top Secret Researcher
#7 Old 27th Mar 2015 at 4:17 AM
I find the supernatural states underwhelming. Werewolves that hunt shiny rocks? You know, shouldn't they be hunting, oh, I don't know, maybe the deer that Pets makes run around the woods? Witches with something like 10 spells. Seriously? Where is the rest of the grimoire? Could have just phoned that one in. Fairies with limited pranking abilities. I expected fully developed tinkerbells. Then there are the glitterpires. Yeah, 'nuf said there. Zombies? There's a mod for that. And no Dean or Sam! WTF? Riding a broom was fun. The first time. And I find Moonlight Falls just plain boring to look at. But, at least the residential lots actually look like houses that real people live in. But, shouldn't witches and vampires live someplace more cool than below average Oregon/Washington? Someplace cool. Like Transylvania. Transsexual Transylvania! In the velvet darkness of the blackest night!

Yet another TS3 expansion that could have been but really wasn't.

TS2 and TS3: Where adult sims potty train their toddlers.
TS4: Where adult sims make Angry Poops.

Which game is made for the juvenile minded?
Lab Assistant
#8 Old 27th Mar 2015 at 6:47 AM
I'm...honestly a bit insulted that you just called my home below average.

and they probably picked the pacific northwest because of fricken twilight.
#9 Old 27th Mar 2015 at 7:28 AM
Quote: Originally posted by MysticCandy

you can't be as insulted as I was about Dragon Valley and it's Irish allusions .... A world made by someone who had probably only ever seen Ireland via hideous 1950s movies about 'da little peeeple'
Alchemist
#10 Old 27th Mar 2015 at 8:51 AM
I think it was because the EP Supernatural is more of a blessing for the fan rather for the regular player. I think Lazy Game Reviews said it best himself, this is a great expansion pack if you are into that kind of supernatural stuff but otherwise it might not be for you. Even though I'm not a big fan of supernatural stuff I still bought the EP. I loved that you got a lot of new content, but as I was not a fan of supernatural stuff I kind of lost interest in the new or improved creatures and the overall town of Moonlight Falls. I can however understand why it is such a beloved expansion pack, but it's just not my cup of tea and reviewers who are not hardcore fans might not just get it or understand what makes it good - maybe it's because it takes big steps away from the life simulation?
Alchemist
#11 Old 27th Mar 2015 at 8:54 AM
Quote: Originally posted by fairycake89
you can't be as insulted as I was about Dragon Valley and it's Irish allusions .... A world made by someone who had probably only ever seen Ireland via hideous 1950s movies about 'da little peeeple'

You we're offended by a world that takes place in hundreds of years ago and that is based on fantasy?
dodgy builder
#12 Old 27th Mar 2015 at 9:12 AM
Quote: Originally posted by ZenGarden
You we're offended by a world that takes place in hundreds of years ago and that is based on fantasy?

Oh yea, I'm happy they haven't tried on the Vikings yet, then I would surely be insulted. I would never buy that expansion that's for sure, it would never be anything but insulting and annoying.
Instructor
#13 Old 27th Mar 2015 at 10:22 AM
Quote: Originally posted by fairycake89

I took one look at Limerick House in DV and I was insulted, and I'm not from Ireland. Still, I have enough Irish in me (thank you ancestors) to bulldoze that lot first thing in every DV game. That's for starters.
Theorist
#14 Old 27th Mar 2015 at 10:27 AM
Probably because the game desperately needed OFB, and instead they gave us....werewolves. (No, really).

#BlairWitchPetition
TS3 NEEDS: TENNIS COURTS > BUSES > PIGS/SHEEP
Can't find stuff in build and buy mode? http://www.nexusmods.com/thesims3/mods/1/?
Department of Post-Mortem Communications
#15 Old 27th Mar 2015 at 10:53 AM
The reviews were justified at release time with regard to bugs. There were very serious issues in the initial version with the moon cycle and zombie spawnings. One of the most annoying was when you saved during a full moon and reloaded that save then zombies continued to spawn forever, during day and night, every day. The game also could not persist the moon cycle, i.e. when you reloaded a save the moon phase was set to some random value and not the one you had when you quit. SN also introduced the invisible Showtime performers bug, the harvesting bug and various other smaller issues that were either addressed by later patches or fixed by mods.
My initial test save after I got the EP was a mess after only a few days.

Edit: And as regards Dragon Valley. I've never thought of it as wanting to be Ireland, rather a fairy tale land with a British Isles theme. Limerick House is the one where the "Leprechaun" lives, isn't it? Hehe, I like it and Mr Finnigan got a nice hat, green knee breeches and even more gold furniture from me. And a pink vintage car.
Field Researcher
#16 Old 27th Mar 2015 at 12:16 PM
I'm not into supernatural and futuristic but I still got Supernatural. I like most of the features and zombies have been killed with Nraas Retuner.
My main hood have no occults while my secondary hood is so full of them, human are rare.
It's a nice change of pace when I need a change. Into the future, I'm just not into .

Vivi e lascia vivere.
My blog Simplex Sims for more elder and teen CC.
Lab Assistant
#17 Old 27th Mar 2015 at 12:27 PM
I limit the supernaturals in my game and made their age the same as humans, but my sisters are really excited for hybrids (thanks to NRaas) and supernaturals in general because how limited they are in my game. Kind of wow thats rare. One of my sisters love witches, and the other have werewolves. NRaas SP Personality helps making them more interesting and I see supernaturals fighting on public lots. So I guess it depends on how you play.

But I hate zombies in this game and got rid of them completely.
Theorist
#18 Old 27th Mar 2015 at 6:26 PM
I didn't bother getting it because I really don't like supernaturals in my game. I would have preferred it if EA brought in the supernaturals they way they did in TS2 and that way I could ignore them if/when they showed up. I can live with the supernaturals in-game now but I'm not deliberately signing up to populate my worlds with them. Yes I lose out of a lot of content but I can live with it.

Life is short, insecurity is a waste of time. ~Diane Von Furstenburg
You don't get out of life alive. ~Jimmy the Hand

♥ Receptacle Refugee ♥
Mad Poster
#19 Old 27th Mar 2015 at 6:28 PM
Quote: Originally posted by eskie227
... werewolves were a disappointment for me.

The werewolves were not a disappointment for me. I'm having hella fun finding things with my werewolves. I've even made a couple Sims 3 versions of Sims 2 townies and turned them into werewolves. Marsha Bruenig is a shy, animal-loving werewolf, while Tosha Go is a childish schmoozer who wants to be rich and famous while also maybe raising a family - if she can avoid wolfing down too many yummy fried peanut butter and banana sandwiches. Girl's gotta keep her figure, ya know?
Scholar
#20 Old 27th Mar 2015 at 11:09 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Volvenom
Oh yea, I'm happy they haven't tried on the Vikings yet, then I would surely be insulted. I would never buy that expansion that's for sure, it would never be anything but insulting and annoying.

Duude... Like, duude... If they let me buy a longboat, pack a dozen neighbours on it, and go raiding, I'd buy that expansion like a dozen times :p

Oh yeah, and they should give me a proper Valkyrie instead of Grim :p

Oh yeah, and runestones. We need runestones for the fallen :p
Top Secret Researcher
#21 Old 28th Mar 2015 at 8:44 PM
Quote: Originally posted by MysticCandy

It's the glitterpires that are dragging you down in the rankings.
Quote: Originally posted by lisfyre
I didn't bother getting it because I really don't like supernaturals in my game. I would have preferred it if EA brought in the supernaturals they way they did in TS2 and that way I could ignore them if/when they showed up. I can live with the supernaturals in-game now but I'm not deliberately signing up to populate my worlds with them. Yes I lose out of a lot of content but I can live with it.

Only EA's story progression can automagically add them, and even then there is the population control panel in Options. If you use a modded SP, your town won't get populated with them unless you allow it.

TS2 and TS3: Where adult sims potty train their toddlers.
TS4: Where adult sims make Angry Poops.

Which game is made for the juvenile minded?
Scholar
#22 Old 28th Mar 2015 at 9:08 PM
I liked Supernatural; there were so many sims I'd written as witches or otherwise but up until then, I couldn't play them as they were meant to be; I had to rely on stolen Store items like the spellbook and voodoo doll and crystal ball, so SN was my favorite EP.
Lab Assistant
#23 Old 28th Mar 2015 at 9:13 PM Last edited by Annything : 28th Mar 2015 at 11:10 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Don_Babilon
The reviews were justified at release time with regard to bugs.

World Adventures. I went through the embarrassment of being the only girl in GameStop (there were a lot of teenage boys there and they scared me and being the only girl meant so much to me) only to go home, unwrap it, and have my entire save game get fucked up.

I proceeded to call my friend, politely ask her dad if I could speak to my friend, and then when she got it I began screaming about "this stupid game!" and how "I paid money for this!" and asked her if she got hers to work.

Hers did not work.

Mine did not work.

I cried.

Wait, are these disagrees saying they didn't get the World Adventure bugs when it was released? Lucky duckies.
Lab Assistant
#24 Old 28th Mar 2015 at 10:25 PM
Supernatural isn't bad, but showtime is.
They shoved in our throats the so called "social features" no one asked for, added 3 new careers, some new objects and the world and called the job done

World Adventures. I went through the embarrassment of being the only girl in GameStop (there were a lot of teenage boys there and they scared me and being the only girl meant so much to me) only to go home, unwrap it, and have my entire save game get fucked up.

Lost my saves too, an entire legacy destroyed because of eaxis laziness...
Learned my lesson and decided to wait about a month or so to buy new eps and install new patchs, which spares me of frustation and saves some money (limited edition content are useless anyway).
I also think the ep with more bugs was WA. That borked travel system is one of eaxis worse coding "
achievements", they didn't even bother to fix.
Alchemist
#25 Old 28th Mar 2015 at 10:31 PM
Hugely unpopular oppinion but I kind of like Showtime. SimPort sucks and so does the careers, but I really enjoy Starlight Shores, the objects and the clothing to be honest
Page 1 of 4