Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#1 Old 20th Apr 2015 at 3:14 AM Last edited by TARLACHRed : 21st Apr 2015 at 12:53 AM.
Default Fixing the gap between skirt bottom and top of legs in Milkshape
I just started learning to mesh as of yesterday! I couldn't find any info on my problem, so I figured a forum thread would be my best bet at getting an answer.

I'm following this tutorial. The only difference is, I started off with the BG sweater dress mesh instead of the sundress. Because of that, the skirt bottom is slightly different, which means I have no idea how to handle it. I'm supposed to be fixing the gap between the skirt and the top of the legs via the UniMesh vertex data merge plugin. Only problem is, instead of pulling the skirt inwards (as a real fabric dress would do), it makes the legs chubbier!

Here's some pictures that might describe my issue better than words.

I'm not really sure how to fix it. Any advice would be much appreciated! Thank you in advance.

EDIT: Whups. Didn't realize I had put this in Object Creation! Guess that's what happens when I make threads before bed. Thanks for moving it to the right section!
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 20th Apr 2015 at 9:55 PM
Hey, I think I know what's going wrong here: the data merge plugin takes the coordinates from the vertex in the "highest group" and copies them to the vertex from the "lower group". Therefor, you need to go in the group tab, select the legs' group and move it above the dress'. You should be able to resume your gap fixing as it should be once that is done.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#3 Old 20th Apr 2015 at 11:21 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Azelanne
Hey, I think I know what's going wrong here: the data merge plugin takes the coordinates from the vertex in the "highest group" and copies them to the vertex from the "lower group". Therefor, you need to go in the group tab, select the legs' group and move it above the dress'. You should be able to resume your gap fixing as it should be once that is done.

Hi there, thank you for taking some time out of your day to help me!

Could you elaborate on the groups? I only have two groups; one called "body" (which is for the normal body type) and one called "00MORPHMOD.1" (which is for the chubbier body type). With that said, how can I solve my problem using your advice? Do I need to move the legs into their own group? If so, could you point me in the right direction as to how to do that?

Sorry for all the questions, but as my original post says - I just started this two days ago! Thank you for your help, though. I really appreciate it.
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 21st Apr 2015 at 4:32 AM
You need to separate the legs into their own group, yes.
(I recommend you hide the fat morph while you work on the first body, then hide that one and repeat the steps. The Unimesh tutorials probably already instructed you to do this, I think. It's been a long while since I read them.)

To do so, use the select tool (Face option) and make sure you select all of the legs. Then, in the group tap click "Regroup". This will separate the selected area into its own group. You can now work from there and regroup both mesh parts when you are done. (Remember to make sure your regrouped meshes have the right names and comments.)

You're welcome just tell me if I explained anything unclearly.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#5 Old 21st Apr 2015 at 5:43 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Azelanne
You need to separate the legs into their own group, yes.
(I recommend you hide the fat morph while you work on the first body, then hide that one and repeat the steps. The Unimesh tutorials probably already instructed you to do this, I think. It's been a long while since I read them.)

To do so, use the select tool (Face option) and make sure you select all of the legs. Then, in the group tap click "Regroup". This will separate the selected area into its own group. You can now work from there and regroup both mesh parts when you are done. (Remember to make sure your regrouped meshes have the right names and comments.)

You're welcome just tell me if I explained anything unclearly.

Wow, thank you so very much! I just followed your instructions and everything is working correctly now. I really appreciate your help.