Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 25th Apr 2015 at 3:43 PM Last edited by Skae2.0 : 10th Jun 2015 at 12:45 PM.

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Wanna delete custom skin, but a lot of townies have it... (Tips, anyone? :/)
I don't know what happens exactly if I delete it and the genes of the Sims who had it get borked. Is that an actual problem?

If so:
I know how to change the genes to skins that actually exist in my game. But the problem is, that a lot of townies etc got it. I can't find all the sims in my game who happened to get one of these skin tones, right? Some clue how I can go about that, anyone?

-----------------------------------------------------

Not rly important side information:

The thing is that the game only seems to recognize the light-/darkness of the skin when deciding which one an offspring gets. So I want to get rid of a number of custom skins, so the kids don't turn out to look completely different from their parents in 80% of the cases when there's so many other skins within the range of tones they can inherit. I could go and change it every time I don't like it, bur what's the fun about the genes in Sims 2 if I get to decide it every time? :/
(I also get a little tired of freckles, they're just not special anymore. xD)
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 25th Apr 2015 at 6:37 PM
As far as I know you will have to open each sim and change it to what you want with SimPE.

MAKE A BACK-UP.
1. Take out all skintones you don't want. Do not start up your game.
2. Use SimPE to open ever sim 1 at a time and change the tone to what you want.
3. Now start up your game and make sure it worked.

Good Luck.

All my Beginning Hoods here at MTS. http://www.modthesims.info/member.php?u=7749491
All my Beginning Hoods as Shopping Districts plus Old Town. http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=523417
MooVille, a tribute to Mootilda and her fabulous lots http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=534158
Field Researcher
#3 Old 25th Apr 2015 at 7:29 PM
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#4 Old 26th Apr 2015 at 1:59 AM
Does anybody here care to read the question? :/
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#5 Old 26th Apr 2015 at 4:07 AM
I thought it only corrupted the sims genetics, in which case it isn't that big a deal. If you want them to breed, fix them in simpe. I don't think it will break your hood if townies run around with skin 2- which is what I believe they will have if a skin they are wearing gets deleted. I've never heard of them running around without skin. Maybe somebody who knows for sure will come along.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#6 Old 26th Apr 2015 at 11:51 AM
That's right Jo, the sims should just default to the S2 skintone but the genetics have to be altered by hand if you want to breed from them.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#7 Old 26th Apr 2015 at 1:13 PM
Good to know. So perhaps it should not be under hood corruption, because generally that means things that will turn your hood into an unplayable mess.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#8 Old 26th Apr 2015 at 2:51 PM
Well, then I'll just delete it, and check their genetics in SimEnhancer if I want someone to "breed" with a townie.

Does somebody by chance know if it's enough to do this with TS2 Enhancer?
I'd just like to know if it's traceable which changes are really made to the package there, and if it contains what I would have to change in SimPE:

There's 2 boxes for each parents' skin, which is both the same for townies since they don't have parents. Then there's skin tone, which I suppose is the one displayed in the game, and recessive skin tone, which should be the "second gene" they carry. Skin tone is probably "n/a" then but shows as skin 2 in the game. So I'd need to change both of this to something that exists, and the parents' skin tone to the same or something that makes sense, and everything is fine?

Otherwise I guess I'll look for a tutorial, but Sim Enhancer is just more convenient if you need to change a lot of sims.
Screenshots
Mad Poster
#9 Old 26th Apr 2015 at 3:07 PM
If I was you I would check the DNA in SimPE after the changes were done with TS2 Enhancer to make sure it changed to the right DNA for that sim.

All my Beginning Hoods here at MTS. http://www.modthesims.info/member.php?u=7749491
All my Beginning Hoods as Shopping Districts plus Old Town. http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=523417
MooVille, a tribute to Mootilda and her fabulous lots http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=534158
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#10 Old 26th Apr 2015 at 10:32 PM
I have never heard of the Enhancer, but no I would always use simPE. To me SimPE is the best and safest Sim2 tool especially when it comes to genetic changes. It's very easy under the DNA tab to see what skin code a sim has and to change it to any Maxis skin. If you use a default the code is still Maxis. It only gets more tricky if you want the sim to have a custom or townified skin. The Codes for the 5 maxis skins are well known and available online.

~Call me Jo~
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#11 Old 27th Apr 2015 at 12:50 AM
SimEnhancer was a must have tool for TS1 - I had it, it was great for skins. The guy who made it made a version for TS2 but I think he stopped supporting it pretty quickly. SimPE is the most up-to-date tool for the game and does far more than SimEnhancer ever did.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#12 Old 27th Apr 2015 at 4:22 PM
I know it's best and safer to just use SimPE in case of doubt, but I'm trying to find out if I can use Sim Enhancer anyway. Changing all the Sims I'm gonna have to change in SimPE is most likely gonna drive me nuts... a little risk that I'm breaking something is okay. I did so much stuff wrong before knowing how easily you can corrupt things that at some point my hood is probably doomed anyway. I'm just trying to keep it at a minimum.

I'm a little confused here. I found a tutorial for SimPE, but it turns out to be the same like when you changed their faces and want to synchronize the genes so offsprings inherit the same looks. You just have one file that contains the original looks, and replace it with the second one added when you changed something so both is the same... and it says "Facial Structure". Does this also contain the skin colour?? Is this even right?
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#13 Old 27th Apr 2015 at 7:59 PM
Skin colour is in SimDNA for the sim, there are two expressions of it, one the skintone they are wearing and one the recessive.

I think an issue with SimEnhancer might be that because the guy who made it stopped supporting it a while back, it might be that it will not be designed to compensate for the sort of corruption issues we're discussing.

Field Researcher
Original Poster
#14 Old 27th Apr 2015 at 11:16 PM
Hm but it has a box for skin tone and one for recessive skin tone. That should do, theoretically, shouldn't it?

I mean, at least that was my question, if this resembles the things you also have in SimPE so it's worth a try.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#15 Old 28th Apr 2015 at 1:06 AM
This is the best tutorial. http://www.lothere.com/verso/page/16

maxon, I didn't know about that. I didn't know about cc or cheats back when I played Sims 1 as I didn't even know there were forums. This is probably why I find Sims 2 so easy.

~Call me Jo~
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#16 Old 1st May 2015 at 3:00 PM
OK thanks, I'll just go check what happened to the values in SimPE after I fiddled with Sim Enhancer and hope it'll do.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#17 Old 1st May 2015 at 6:53 PM
I just checked. In SimPE, it still had the value for the not existing skin. (So if I would've put it back in, she probably would've had that again.) In SimEnhanver it was N/A.

I changed skintone and recessive skintone there, and checking in SimPE it correctly changed Skintone and SkintoneRange in both dominant and recessive Genes.

That was a townie without parents, though, so it's all 4 the same. I need to check if it gets the thing with the parents right some time. I'm not quite sure how the skintone range exactly comes about... it has something to do with the range between the two skin tones of the parents, doesn't it?
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#18 Old 1st May 2015 at 7:12 PM Last edited by Skae2.0 : 1st May 2015 at 7:42 PM.
Can someone explain me what the game exactly "thought" when setting those skintone ranges...? This is a "born" sim, I filled in what is what by how I know the parents look. Ignore the question marks, I checked it now.

I checked his two brothers, too. It's always the same value for the recessive skintone and skintone range.
For the dominant genes, it's of course one parent's skintone for the one that's displayed. The other parent's skintone defines the skintone range. Which I THINK makes sense to me...

But what is the game's logic behind having no range in the recessive genes?
Someone enlighten me lol... I found a forum thread where it's explained, but either the old SimPE version looked completely different or they're looking somewhere else.
Screenshots
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#19 Old 1st May 2015 at 10:55 PM
Although I have changed skintone in SimPE many times I don't really 'get' the whole skintone range in there, so I chose to just do what I knew needed to be done and it always worked.

~Call me Jo~
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#20 Old 1st May 2015 at 11:57 PM
I'm not sure what you're asking Skae. How does the recessive have no range? It seems to have a range of 0.3 (tan) to 0.1 (light) to me.

Field Researcher
Original Poster
#21 Old 2nd May 2015 at 11:19 AM
Oh my mistake, then it's the dominant range that always seems to be the same value like the skintone.

Ok then, what is it that needs to be done? xD I know now what to do with all the skintones and that the first skintone range should be the same value, obviously, but what is it with the dominant skintone range...? I'd have no clue what to do there when I change something.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#22 Old 2nd May 2015 at 10:55 PM
Ok cross it all. I just saw that I made a mistake.
It's actually the recessive skintone and skintone range that are the same for the other two brothers. For him it's the dominant skintone and skintone range that's the same. I thought it was all the same for all 3 so it seemed likely it had some reason, but probably it doesn't say anything at all...

So the question still stays: What is it that has to be done? How on earth do I know what to do about the skintone range when changing something, when nobody seems to know what that is even really about...?
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#23 Old 3rd May 2015 at 12:08 AM
I never bothered with the skintone range, I just changed what skin the sim was wearing and had no issues after that.

~Call me Jo~
Trainee Moderator
staff: trainee moderator
#24 Old 8th May 2015 at 4:24 PM
The "dominant" SkintoneRange is the skintone of the sim's father.
The "recessive" SkintoneRange is the skintone of the sim's mother (or Pollinator, if it's an alien baby)

And the normal "Skintone" record is the skintone of your sim.
Let's say a female S1 sim married with a male S4 sim and gave birth to a S3 child
Then, the child's DNA record for skintones would be like this:

Dominant Gene:
Skintone: 3
SkintoneRange: 4

Recessive Gene:
Skintone: 3
SkintoneRange: 1

Catalogue of Custom Neighborhoods for TS2
All Hood Building Group neighborhoods are available here
Want to get rid of EA's sims in neighborhoods? Check out my Clean and Empty Steatlh Hoods and Clean and Empty Neighborhood Templates
My Simblr
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#25 Old 8th May 2015 at 9:59 PM
Thankyou, that does make sense and something that I could never figure. I simply changed the Dominant and sometimes the Recessive. So what does a townie normally have in those ranges or a CAS sim when they have no parents.

~Call me Jo~
Page 1 of 2