Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Meet Me In My Next Life
Original Poster
#1 Old 1st Jun 2015 at 4:56 AM Last edited by Simonut : 8th Jun 2015 at 3:59 AM.
Default No upgrade for me ( Window 10 )
I have Window 7 64 bit, today when I turn on my computer, on my "toolbar" Window send me a "free" upgrade for Window 10 and asking me to sign up to reserve the OS for my computer.
I had to go to my Toolbar and the scroll down to properties to hide it ( don't want to see it when I turn on my computer day and day out. )

I don't know if anyone else who use Window receive this notice as well, but I can tell you all one thing right now, I'll Not going to try it at all I just know or feel it will give maybe problems or maybe not even work well with my Sims 2 game.
So until Window completely "stop" supporting Window 7 ( like updates etc ) I am not going to change one thing on my computer. If it is not broke, why try to fix it. my Sims run perfect on my Window 7 that I have now.
Just like it did when I once had Window XP back then it was perfect, so yes I do like you Window but I have two words for you right now Shut Up !

What do you all think about this Window 10 push ?

"Nothing in life is a Surprise it just happen to come your way at the time".
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 1st Jun 2015 at 5:03 AM
Some who have been beta testing 10 have said that even Sims 1 works great on it and they have had no problems with Sim 2.

All my Beginning Hoods here at MTS. http://www.modthesims.info/member.php?u=7749491
All my Beginning Hoods as Shopping Districts plus Old Town. http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=523417
MooVille, a tribute to Mootilda and her fabulous lots http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=534158
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#3 Old 1st Jun 2015 at 5:07 AM
Let's hope so as I really need a new computer. I would be careful that, that try bar isn't a virus or adware or something, seems a bit suspect.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Field Researcher
#4 Old 1st Jun 2015 at 5:44 AM
well Microsoft is offering windows 10 for free to windows 7 and 8 users for the first year http://windows.microsoft.com/en-ca/windows-10/about
Mad Poster
#5 Old 1st Jun 2015 at 9:16 AM
I'm most unlikely to upgrade Windows on my current computer, because Windows 7 is working, and working well. If I had Windows 8, it might be a very different story! I find Windows 7 the most solid reliable operating system I've ever had on a PC (with the possible exception of MS-DOS 3!). If I was buying a new computer, on the other hand, Windows 10 sounds a very good idea, if only because Windows 8 seems such a disaster. (Whatever happened to Windows 9?) Recent Windows versions seem to have alternated good and bad versions:

Windows XP - Good
Windows Vista - Bad
Windows 7 - Good
Windows 8 - Bad
Windows 10 - Good (hopefully!)

I think Windows 7 is a bit like TS2 - it's the version of Windows where Microsoft got everything right (without TS2's list of potential VBTs!). It's a pity that Microsoft's business model depends on constantly giving us new versions of products that don't need replacing. It's nearly as bad as EA's business model. Still, at least with Microsoft the new Windows version is complete -- not a cut down "base game" version. Microsoft don't make you buy a succession of expensive EPs over the next couple of years to get you back to the functionality you had with the old version.

P.S. I got the "Get Windows 10" icon on my task bar this morning too. Thanks for the tip about hiding it, Simonut. I've got it hidden too now. I don't want to "upgrade" by mistake!!

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Scholar
#6 Old 1st Jun 2015 at 10:14 AM
If I get a new computer, then maybe. Other than that I don't want to upgrade incase it turns out to be as awful as windows 8.

Vista was good, things ran smoothly. Except that one time the replacement hard drive fell out when I picked the laptop up...other than that there were no other significant issues. I miss my loady dinosaurs
Aaah Windows XP, fun times :D
7 was ok, took some getting used to, but it was acceptable (Laptop Larry is beautiful)
Then Windows 8 happened. (*Whispers menacingly to Lazarus Laptop- I will always strongly dislike you). There were so many compatability issues, and it was just so damn fiddley. The only cool thing with that laptop is the backlit keyboard
Mad Poster
#7 Old 1st Jun 2015 at 10:29 AM
I did not know they had come out with a new windows. I googled it, and the promo made me want to barf, and googling for images continued that feeling. So... no, I'm not upgrading.

When is windows going to understand that a computer is a computer, not an ipad? Vista was a disaster because they were too obsessed with trying to become mac, because people were shifting to mac. 8 was a disaster because they were eyeing the tablet-market and freaking out about that. 10 looks like an attempt to say "ok ok ok we hear you, but this is REALLY good we promise so here we'll still do what we think but we'll pretend we listened to you". They just made the 8-app-window thing be opened by the start bar, with a little bit of a list to the left. They still call it apps, and it still looks more like a tablet than a proper computer. So... no thanks!

But, still, my mother is stuck with windows 8 so for her 10 might be an upgrade, so thanks for pointing out that it exists

Creations can be found on my on tumblr.
Instructor
#8 Old 1st Jun 2015 at 10:42 AM
I have Windows 7 retail version so I'm allowed to install it as many times as I want and on several computers...I think.
Alchemist
#9 Old 1st Jun 2015 at 10:55 AM
I signed up for the upgrade. Because why not? Every other Windows system has been good (XP, 7) and every other has been bad (Vista, 8) so this one should be good

And I'm confident that I will get my sims games to work somehow
Meet Me In My Next Life
Original Poster
#10 Old 1st Jun 2015 at 11:18 AM
Quote: Originally posted by AndrewGloria
IP.S. I got the "Get Windows 10" icon on my task bar this morning too. Thanks for the tip about hiding it, Simonut. I've got it hidden too now. I don't want to "upgrade" by mistake!!

@AndrewGloria About hiding the icon for an update about Window 10 that "dare" thing will still keep popping up again back on my toolbar, I notice it happen whenever I start or restart my computer.
I did a virus scan and my malwarebytes scan and I am clean.

Mad Poster
#11 Old 1st Jun 2015 at 12:32 PM
I'm not getting the update thing. What browser are you using?
Instructor
#12 Old 1st Jun 2015 at 12:49 PM
It's not the browser, its on the desktop.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#13 Old 1st Jun 2015 at 1:06 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ZenGarden
I signed up for the upgrade. Because why not? Every other Windows system has been good (XP, 7) and every other has been bad (Vista, 8) so this one should be good

And I'm confident that I will get my sims games to work somehow

let us know how Sims 2 runs on it, we need a guinea pig someone to try it out.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#14 Old 1st Jun 2015 at 1:26 PM
Okay, I lied. I looked on the desktop and it is there, but it just sits down the bottom and never pops up. Maybe I have pop ups suppressed somehow.
Mad Poster
#15 Old 1st Jun 2015 at 1:33 PM
Quote: Originally posted by fruitsymphony
I have Windows 7 retail version so I'm allowed to install it as many times as I want and on several computers...I think.

Only if you bought a multi use license can you use it on more than 1 computer, you can install reinstall on the same computer all you want and you can even move it over to a new computer when your old one dies and install reinstall all you want to. Most retail version is only for 1 computer at a time.

All my Beginning Hoods here at MTS. http://www.modthesims.info/member.php?u=7749491
All my Beginning Hoods as Shopping Districts plus Old Town. http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=523417
MooVille, a tribute to Mootilda and her fabulous lots http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=534158
Mad Poster
#16 Old 1st Jun 2015 at 1:43 PM
From what I hear Windows 10 is nice and working a lot better than 8 - but I want to know if I can play Sims 2 if I use it
Scholar
#17 Old 1st Jun 2015 at 4:03 PM
I think I will upgrade to Windows 10, because Cortana..... :D

Paladins/SimWardrobes downloads: https://simfileshare.net/folder/87849/
Lab Assistant
#18 Old 1st Jun 2015 at 9:03 PM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
let us know how Sims 2 runs on it, we need a guinea pig someone to try it out.
I shall be the guinea pig then! ::D: using the Insider Preview of corse!
Meet Me In My Next Life
Original Poster
#19 Old 1st Jun 2015 at 9:17 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Justpetro
From what I hear Windows 10 is nice and working a lot better than 8 - but I want to know if I can play Sims 2 if I use it

I don't think we should quickly "jump the boat" Window 10 need to be tested to get the bug out first, I never jump into something new when it first come out, because there are "Always" problems with new OS.
Like I said before I am not going to just upgrade to Window 10 when my Window 7 is working perfect with everything not just the Sims game but other games I have.
Plus I am not going to let Microsoft "push" me into a new OS just because of there business purposes, everything new do not mean it is good, ( just look at the problem window 8 have had )

Lab Assistant
#20 Old 1st Jun 2015 at 9:18 PM
I am upgrading Reserved my OS using the toolbar thing.
Lab Assistant
#21 Old 1st Jun 2015 at 9:23 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Microsoft
Download and install the preview only if you

x Want to try out software that’s still in development and like sharing your opinion about it.

Don’t mind lots of updates or a UI design that might change significantly over time.

Really know your way around a PC and feel comfortable troubleshooting problems, backing up data, formatting a hard drive, installing an operating system from scratch, or restoring your old one if necessary.

Know what an ISO file is and how to use it.

Aren't installing it on your everyday computer.

I might not be able to test because of the thing with an x next to it.
Field Researcher
#22 Old 1st Jun 2015 at 10:26 PM
Someone test this because I like new, shiny and FREE things, and I would like to play both TS4 and TS2 on my computer, and do my work on my computer, and use my Microsoft Office, and go on the internet and youtube videos and new and shiny and I don't like windows 8 or 8.1 and I always loved my windows 7 and and and...
Top Secret Researcher
#23 Old 2nd Jun 2015 at 3:38 AM
Quote: Originally posted by AndrewGloria
(Whatever happened to Windows 9?) Recent Windows versions seem to have alternated good and bad versions:

Windows XP - Good
Windows Vista - Bad
Windows 7 - Good
Windows 8 - Bad
Windows 10 - Good (hopefully!)

Don't forget Windows Me before XP... which was a misery.
Mad Poster
#24 Old 2nd Jun 2015 at 4:32 AM
Wait, what happened to Windows 9?
Mad Poster
#25 Old 2nd Jun 2015 at 9:02 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Charity
Wait, what happened to Windows 9?

Windows 10 was supposed to be named Windows 9, but they realized that they already had two operating systems starting with a '9' (98 and 95), so, to avoid any possible confusions, they renamed W10. :P

At least, that's what they say the reason is...
Page 1 of 3