Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Meet Me In My Next Life
Original Poster
#51 Old 8th Jun 2015 at 4:21 AM Last edited by Simonut : 8th Jun 2015 at 7:47 AM.
Members WARNING ! I think I better let everyone know to be "sure" to read everything about Window 10 because there will be a lot of features you will NO longer have if you upgrade to window 10.
The first thing That I "do not" like is you will no longer have a Media Center / Media Player where you can watch movies TV , music, or Window games. And that is only the beginning of what "you will not have".
WATCH OUT ! Window may say your Computer is ready for Window 10, but you still may have to run off to a computer store and see a tech to add new parts that you may need to work with Window 10 ( that mean "money" out of your pocket. )

There are other features that will be blowing in the wind ( Gone ) I think everyone should do a Google search and ask the questions something like " If I upgrade from Window 7 / or Window 8 to Window 10 what will I lose?
Here is just one link to read and check out >> http://www.idigitaltimes.com/7-feat...0-update-446140 good Idea to just find out the in and out for yourself.

And my search about playing games you may like and have downloaded or have purchase at Amazon or a walk in store or owner of Xbox, left me with a sour taste, with a "Big" maybe.
And never mind much older games like the Sims 2 or other non Sims games that are consider to be older but you still love them. Right now I still feel better safe than sorry with keeping my Window 7.
Who said we must all keep up with the Jones, just because you may have it don't mean I need to join in. Only time will tell if I will or anyone will throw Window 7 under the bus.

NOTE: If you have already sign up for Window 10 to be "Reserve" for you. It will automatic be downloaded into you computer, you will get a notification after it is done and on your system. So it is a good idea to check your notification setup if you want some kind of control. Or you may wake up that day to a whole new OS that just maybe you still have not made up your mind about having yet.

"Nothing in life is a Surprise it just happen to come your way at the time".
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#52 Old 8th Jun 2015 at 8:52 AM
I am actually quite upset because no Windows 10 has appeared on my desktop yet! I guess I have to blame Sir Kaspersky, because I do not know why! I certainly bought a brand new Windows 7 the other day when I upgraded too - so why are they discriminating???? At first I thought our country might be a little bit behind, but it seems as if everybody else has one.
Meet Me In My Next Life
Original Poster
#53 Old 8th Jun 2015 at 9:39 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Justpetro
I am actually quite upset because no Windows 10 has appeared on my desktop yet! I guess I have to blame Sir Kaspersky, because I do not know why! I certainly bought a brand new Windows 7 the other day when I upgraded too - so why are they discriminating???? At first I thought our country might be a little bit behind, but it seems as if everybody else has one.

@Justpetro The last day to get Window 10 is July 29, if you did not get a Notification on your computer ( the icon usually appears near the bottom right near the time ) If you did not get it check your notifications setting.
You can always Go to Microsoft web site or Google and type in where do I reserve my Window 10. For wherever you live if in another country.

Mad Poster
#54 Old 8th Jun 2015 at 9:48 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Simonut
@Justpetro The last day to get Window 10 is July 29, if you did not get a Notification on your computer ( the icon usually appears near the bottom right near the time ) If you did not get it check your notifications setting.
You can always Go to Microsoft web site or Google and type in where do I reserve my Window 10. For wherever you live if in another country.

Thank you
Mad Poster
#55 Old 8th Jun 2015 at 9:29 PM
NOTE: If you have already sign up for Window 10 to be "Reserve" for you. It will automatic be downloaded into you computer, you will get a notification after it is done and on your system. So it is a good idea to check your notification setup if you want some kind of control. Or you may wake up that day to a whole new OS that just maybe you still have not made up your mind about having yet.

I signed up. The instructions said that the os would be downloaded but NOT installed until we decide to do it.

I also went to the windows FAQ. It said the same thing.

"Fear not little flock, for it hath pleased your Father to give you a kingdom". Luke 12:32 Chris Hatch's family friendly files archived on SFS: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=603534 . Bulbizarre's website: https://archiveofourown.org/users/C...CoveredPortals/
Lab Assistant
#56 Old 8th Jun 2015 at 9:55 PM
Why would you want to upgrade again...wasnt windows 7 bad enough?
Mad Poster
#57 Old 8th Jun 2015 at 10:59 PM
A little word of warning:

I haven't read the system requirements for Windows 10, but in general newer versions of software (including operating systems) require more resources than older versions. If Windows is using more resources, that means less is available for your applications. And TS2 is a pretty resource-hungry application.

So, if you've got an older computer and everything is running well, then I'd leave well alone. If, on the other hand you've got a new PC with Windows 8, and you hate Windows 8, and especially if you can't get it to run your favourite applications (including TS2), then I think you have a very good case for upgrading.

In general I think I'd advise against upgrading unless you have a good reason to do so.

Quote: Originally posted by Nillson
Why would you want to upgrade again...wasnt windows 7 bad enough?

Do you mean Windows 8? A few people have had difficulties, but most of us have had no problems with Windows 7? It lets me play TS2 on my Netbook.

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Instructor
#58 Old 8th Jun 2015 at 11:20 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Simonut
Members WARNING ! I think I better let everyone know to be "sure" to read everything about Window 10 because there will be a lot of features you will NO longer have if you upgrade to window 10.
The first thing That I "do not" like is you will no longer have a Media Center / Media Player where you can watch movies TV , music, or Window games. And that is only the beginning of what "you will not have".
WATCH OUT ! Window may say your Computer is ready for Window 10, but you still may have to run off to a computer store and see a tech to add new parts that you may need to work with Window 10 ( that mean "money" out of your pocket. )

And my search about playing games you may like and have downloaded or have purchase at Amazon or a walk in store or owner of Xbox, left me with a sour taste, with a "Big" maybe.
And never mind much older games like the Sims 2 or other non Sims games that are consider to be older but you still love them. Right now I still feel better safe than sorry with keeping my Window 7.
Who said we must all keep up with the Jones, just because you may have it don't mean I need to join in. Only time will tell if I will or anyone will throw Window 7 under the bus.

Yes, it's the end of WMC but not the end of DVD playback... Research = The difference between making a valid argument and making an invalid argument. Also, if I am not mistaken there will be some sort of app for music and stuff and if it's anything like what is available for Windows 8.1, then it shouldn't be too much of a learning curve.

Hardware, is another issue, and a valid concern, but if your system runs Windows 7 well or Windows 8 well, then you ought to be fine because Microsoft has stated that the requirements to run Windows 10 are the same as Windows 8, which if you look at Microsoft's hardware requirements you will see that the minimum requirements are the same for both Windows 7 and 8. So it is very unlikely that a user with a perfectly functioning computer that runs Windows 7 or 8 with speed and ease would run into issues with 8, unless of course, they have issues with drivers but that's a whole different demon to tackle.

As for games, especially old games. Yeah sure, you can run into problems. Usually they're related to hardware. I know there were a lot of DOS games that I played as a kid that didn't like modern audio hardware or the drivers for them so once I got Windows XP, a lot of my choices of retro games were limited. Sim City 4 doesn't like newer graphics cards, and TS2 has had issues with newer hardware as well, but there can be workarounds. Gosh, I remember when people were having issues with running TS2 on Windows Vista and 7! If you truly cannot live without a game, you learn ways to get around issues related to hardware and operating systems and all that jazz. But, I will say this, I do believe someone mentioned that both TS1 and TS2 do well on the preview release of Windows 10 so that there is food for thought.

Is it keeping up with the Joneses? Maybe for some people. For me, it's a matter of, hey, it's an update and offers some features I miss from older versions of Windows while keeping features I like in Windows 8. Also, the fact that my phone is one of many that Microsoft has already said will be receiving the mobile version of Windows 10, and that the ability to use Cortana on my laptop would be a godsend in some cases where I might not want to put my hands on the keyboard or mouse right in that moment. I see the benefits outweigh the risks an am signed up.

For anyone who isn't seeing the Windows 10 availability icon, you might want to try getting your computer 100% up to date where windows updates are concerned. I was behind in my updates because I've been a dorm-rat lately and the only site that seems to load quickly on my slow hotspot (ran out of my high speed) is this one. Once I got all the important updates, the "Get Windows 10" icon came up on my notifications.

I don't get why so many Simmers hate Marsha Bruenig. She actually grows up to be quite pretty if you allow her to.
#59 Old 9th Jun 2015 at 2:40 AM
It's like they're bringing the start menu back just so people will like Windows 10.

I don't know if I want to upgrade or not, I'll have to do some research first. It's good to know Sims 1 and 2 work well on it.
Scholar
#60 Old 9th Jun 2015 at 3:10 AM
I had to laugh. I never used WMC, never knew anyone else who used it either. And as for having to go see a tech. Well, I worked IT support for ten years so I think I am qualified to take care of any issues. I will of course, like anyone should do, back up first.

Paladins/SimWardrobes downloads: https://simfileshare.net/folder/87849/
Meet Me In My Next Life
Original Poster
#61 Old 9th Jun 2015 at 3:40 AM Last edited by Simonut : 9th Jun 2015 at 5:39 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by punkrockgoth1988
Is it keeping up with the Joneses? Maybe for some people. For me, it's a matter of, hey, it's an update and offers some features I miss from older versions of Windows while keeping features I like in Windows 8. Also, the fact that my phone is one of many that Microsoft has already said will be receiving the mobile version of Windows 10, and that the ability to use Cortana on my laptop would be a godsend in some cases where I might not want to put my hands on the keyboard or mouse right in that moment. I see the benefits outweigh the risks an am signed up.

For anyone who isn't seeing the Windows 10 availability icon, you might want to try getting your computer 100% up to date where windows updates are concerned. I was behind in my updates because I've been a dorm-rat lately and the only site that seems to load quickly on my slow hotspot (ran out of my high speed) is this one. Once I got all the important updates, the "Get Windows 10" icon came up on my notifications.

@ punkrockgoth1988 you can do your thing, I will do my thing I have a "custom made" computer, Microsoft have already told me that my computer hardware & software is ready for Window 10.
I do not care what Microsoft say about their features in Window 10 I Don't Want It, they came out saying Window 8 was to be so great, and look what happen they ran to make Window 8.1 which was no better.
In my opinion Window XP and Window 7 is their best OS, Window 10 is a "wait and see" I "know" that my Sims 2 games on Window 7 and all others non Sims work perfect. So if you are happy with getting Window 10 do your thing and be happy that all that count.

Lab Assistant
#62 Old 9th Jun 2015 at 4:47 AM
Quote: Originally posted by AndrewGloria
A little word of warning:

I haven't read the system requirements for Windows 10, but in general newer versions of software (including operating systems) require more resources than older versions. If Windows is using more resources, that means less is available for your applications. And TS2 is a pretty resource-hungry application.

So, if you've got an older computer and everything is running well, then I'd leave well alone. If, on the other hand you've got a new PC with Windows 8, and you hate Windows 8, and especially if you can't get it to run your favourite applications (including TS2), then I think you have a very good case for upgrading.

In general I think I'd advise against upgrading unless you have a good reason to do so.

Do you mean Windows 8? A few people have had difficulties, but most of us have had no problems with Windows 7? It lets me play TS2 on my Netbook.

No I said windows 7.
Instructor
#63 Old 9th Jun 2015 at 5:55 AM Last edited by fruitsymphony : 9th Jun 2015 at 7:58 AM.
Does Window 10 come with FreeCell?//yes it does, I googled.
Mad Poster
#64 Old 9th Jun 2015 at 10:09 AM
Windows 9 - the name - belongs to Bill Gates, I heard.
Mad Poster
#65 Old 9th Jun 2015 at 1:19 PM
Quote: Originally posted by SciBirg
I had to laugh. I never used WMC, never knew anyone else who used it either. And as for having to go see a tech. Well, I worked IT support for ten years so I think I am qualified to take care of any issues. I will of course, like anyone should do, back up first.

Okay Sciberg, you're up. You can be our got-to person if problems present themselves.

"Fear not little flock, for it hath pleased your Father to give you a kingdom". Luke 12:32 Chris Hatch's family friendly files archived on SFS: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=603534 . Bulbizarre's website: https://archiveofourown.org/users/C...CoveredPortals/
Theorist
#66 Old 9th Jun 2015 at 4:34 PM
Quote: Originally posted by SciBirg

I love WMC. I use it religiously as a dual-tuner DVR and also have an HTPC powering my projector running WMC as a front-end. It's really easy to use as a DVR and works really great as a media library you can operate from the couch with a remote.

Really a shame they are dropping it. Hopefully someone will come up with a hack to get WMC running in Win10.

Resident wet blanket.
Instructor
#67 Old 9th Jun 2015 at 5:35 PM
Quote: Originally posted by GnatGoSplat
I love WMC. I use it religiously as a dual-tuner DVR and also have an HTPC powering my projector running WMC as a front-end. It's really easy to use as a DVR and works really great as a media library you can operate from the couch with a remote.

Really a shame they are dropping it. Hopefully someone will come up with a hack to get WMC running in Win10.

Just did a big of digging and found that some people are working around the issue and able to install WMC on the Technical Preview. All that happens is that the OS gets renamed to Windows 8. Just a minor detail, I guess.

I don't get why so many Simmers hate Marsha Bruenig. She actually grows up to be quite pretty if you allow her to.
Page 3 of 3