Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 14th Jul 2015 at 3:52 AM
Default Do you still watch television?
I don't watch television anymore. I read the news online from a perspective of my choosing not the perspective of a broadcasting company, and I can also choose not to get into the gory details about murders or people being cruel to each other because I find it gets to the point where I can become too emotionally invested in situations I can do nothing about. So if I *have* to read about cruelty, murder and mans general inhumanity to man and beast, I can take it in portions that don't overwhelm me whilst remaining informed.

I am not interested in reality shows of any kind - I find them puerile and vapid. I feel that the people who appear on them, for the most part, are the froth on the cappuccino of life. I am sure that there are some totally genuine and real people who appear on them too - but they don't make 'good TV', which is a shame because I'd like to see them.

I don't watch cooking shows anymore because the shows generally focus on the cook and his/her ego, and not the food - so one really learns nothing from them of value; except how to be a complete egomaniac in the kitchen (and I can already do that ) I miss cooking shows that actually teach you how to create a new dish.

I like movies and documentaries, but for the most part I can find them online or I can go to the movies.

I could happily put the television out for recycling - my partner would kill me in my sleep - but I don't care if I never see one again.

What about you?
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 14th Jul 2015 at 4:01 AM
Cartoons are my life. So ya.
#3 Old 14th Jul 2015 at 4:08 AM
I once needed the TV for movies.

But the movies they've been making the last few years are all remakes and comic books, or worse, remakes of comic books movies. I think one of the Batman movies was a comic book remake of a sequel.

But I guess using the TV for movies isn't really TV, is it?
#4 Old 14th Jul 2015 at 4:15 AM
Since I don't have cable, I sometimes watch TV for sports but that's about it.

And when I am watching cable...DANG IT CARTOON NETWORK WHY DO YOU HAVE TO SHOW JOHNNY TEST NO ONE LIKES THAT SHOW
Test Subject
#5 Old 14th Jul 2015 at 4:45 AM
Yeah, I watch tv occasionally. If it's a show that I've already caught up to on Netflix, I watch the current season on cable since I hate watching things on a station's website (I'm looking at you ABC, your video player has stopped me from watching Grey's Anatomy one too many times)
Theorist
#6 Old 14th Jul 2015 at 4:46 AM
Yes, mostly sports and news.

The gorgeous Tina (TS3) and here loving family available for download here.
Theorist
#7 Old 14th Jul 2015 at 4:55 AM Last edited by ScaryRob : 24th Jul 2015 at 3:30 AM.
I stopped watching TV long before most people reading this were born. I've owned a TV over the years, but rarely watched it and got rid of it several years ago. Then last year I bought a flatscreen to watch the World Cup, because this was the first time I didn't have a viable option of watching it at another person's house. Since then, I could count on one hand the number of times I've turned that idiot box on. Of course, I don't have cable and the dozen or so channels I get over the air are mostly in Spanish, which is a whole different level of stupid.
I grew up as a teen in New York City, back in the 70s, and at that time, even before cable, that locale had 7 channels, plus a handful of Spanish language channels (which I only mention for the sake of completeness). Besides the three networks and PBS, the three local channels (WNEW 5, WOR 9, and WPIX 11) had some of the best programming, including a lot of movies. Any movie made prior to about 1975 I ended up seeing on TV. Typically, it took anywhere from 2-3 years before a movie made it to TV. And it was all free, over the air.
Around 1980 is when I stopped watching TV on a regular basis.

I remember on Saturday nights WPIX always showed a horror movie of some kind, which was always prefaced by this cool animation:

Mad Poster
#8 Old 14th Jul 2015 at 4:57 AM
I do, but having lived without it for years while I was in college, I find that I actually like getting a more limited amount of TV from the internet, as opposed to having everything imaginable with cable or satellite- if you have to actively seek a show out, it's gonna be something you actually WANT to watch, as opposed to "eh, I guess this works, since it's on," and you can make it fit to your schedule- I got in the habit of watching an episode of something on Netflix, and then reading a few chapters of a book, or doing work in the garden, or making a meal, and THEN watching the next episode- you can't do that when TV just throws things at you one right after the other! I won't stoop to saying I don't like having TV at all, but I prefer having the control online viewing gives you!

As far as what I watch? Almost all either dramas or newsmagazines... not much variety in my viewing!

Welcome to the Dark Side...
We lied about having cookies.
Scholar
#9 Old 14th Jul 2015 at 5:09 AM
Unless new episodes of The Walking Dead or Ancient Aliens are on, I stick to Netflix.

@ScaryRob wtf did I just watch.

The secret ingredient is phone.
Growing up means watching my heroes turn human in front of me.
Thank you, O Mighty Doom Deity! - BL00DIEHELL
Mad Poster
#10 Old 14th Jul 2015 at 5:12 AM
I'm not a TV watcher, for the most part. Even if I wanted to be I'm too antsy to sit and watch it. I'm either bored and need some sort of hand task to work on, or I am too emotionally sensitive to the content. Some things can trigger my empathetic nature, and there is no off switch for that.

Also, I don't trust mainstream news. I am constantly asking myself non-stop questions, like: What agenda are they pushing? What are they trying to distract me from right now? Has any of this broadcast been fabricated as some kind of social engineering effort? Is this an illusion? Are they trying to generate fear on purpose and why?

♥ }i{ Monarch of the Receptacle Refugees }i{ ♥
Theorist
#11 Old 14th Jul 2015 at 5:14 AM
Quote: Originally posted by IAmDeath
@ScaryRob wtf did I just watch.

When you're about 11-12 years old and alone in an apartment in NYC, this scared the shit out of you. It often made me think whether I really wanted to watch whatever movie they were showing, or go do something else.
Mad Poster
#12 Old 14th Jul 2015 at 7:55 AM
Not much. SOmetimes documentaries, and sometimes when the TV is on because someone else is watching. I mostly watch TV series on the web.
Mad Poster
#13 Old 14th Jul 2015 at 8:10 AM
Yep - love TV. I love stories and comedy and even the occasional documentary, but not news. I only get Netflix now, so I was binge watching quite a bit before. I still am binge watching, but now I'll mix it up and check out other things while in the middle of another series. Some of the better things I've seen these past couple of years since getting Netflix include Broadchurch, Orange is the New Black, Breaking Bad, Monarch of The Glen, Scandal, Medium, Wilfred, plus a slew of old reruns of shows I love such as BTVS (even though I own the series on DVD), The Dick Van Dyke Show, Frazier, etc.... Overall, even though I enjoy movies, I tend to prefer shorter shows because it's less of a time commitment and doesn't require the same sort of intense focus.

Addicted to The Sims since 2000.
Alchemist
#14 Old 14th Jul 2015 at 8:21 AM
Ofcourse I do! Not every day, but I always watch special events like the Olympics, football world cup, Eurovision Song Contest. I use Netflix a lot aswell. I love to just have the house for myself, something nice to drink and at late night watch Sex And The City or something like that
Department of Post-Mortem Communications
#15 Old 14th Jul 2015 at 8:53 AM
If I had got a child in exchange for the TV that I got rid of back then, this child could now be sent to work in order to pay my rent.
Inventor
#16 Old 14th Jul 2015 at 9:30 AM
Not my own telly, i dont. But thats because no decent ariel. Its now just sitting on its wooden unit thingy, gathering dust and oscars paw marks. Lol anyway, if i do watch it, its either my friends box or his dads.

'You're a pretty pair of babies, playing with your live doll' Mrs Higgins, My fair Lady
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#17 Old 14th Jul 2015 at 9:49 AM
Not really - occasionally the news. But I think the word TV means something slightly different in the UK than what you're all mentioning. I'd regard watching Netflix or cable as watching the TV too.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Scholar
#18 Old 14th Jul 2015 at 10:52 AM
Sometimes i watch the news, sports or movies. But that's all.
I can't stand those 'reality'-shows... whenever i see something like those, my brain begin to melt.
#19 Old 14th Jul 2015 at 4:02 PM
I watch TV sometimes, though it's mostly Outrageous Acts of Science, World's Dumbest, How the Universe Works or something of the like.

I can't stand "reality" shows either, HonokaAizawa. Those shows are stupid.

Life is paradoxically coincidental to the ironical tyranny applicable to the unparalleled definition of reverse entropy.

"A thunderstorm breaks the wall of darkness." - Lyrics to Storm

"Meh." - me
Mad Poster
#20 Old 14th Jul 2015 at 7:11 PM
Watch a lot - nature shows ( "The Earth" series is just beautiful), and there are a few about the universe and science. I don't watch the news - for same reasons as Sir Oropherion (maw hoo). What's the point in hearing about some horror - if it teaches nothing, helps no one, but only distresses me? If I even catch a whisper of something going in that direction (husband watches a lot, on TV and we), I have to go where I can't hear it.

I do sometimes try some new thing, sometimes a sci-fi movie.

Stand up, speak out. Just not to me..
Mad Poster
#21 Old 14th Jul 2015 at 8:51 PM
Not really, unless you count watching stuff online - even then I don't tend to watch stuff often. I just don't enjoy sitting there and watching something, I've got to be doing something at the same time. I use to knit and watch tv, but I'm not very good at knitting so I usually ended up watching myself knit instead of the tv.

~Your friendly neighborhood ginge
Theorist
#22 Old 14th Jul 2015 at 8:55 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Bigsimsfan12
I use to knit and watch tv, but I'm not very good at knitting so I usually ended up watching myself knit instead of the tv.

Mad Poster
#23 Old 16th Jul 2015 at 2:31 AM
Well, since I only watch the tv for local news, regional news and documentaries, I either use the computer or my phone for anything else.

Personal Quote: "I like my men like my sodas: tall boys." (Zevia has both 12 and 16 oz options)

(P.S. I'm about 5' (150cm) in height and easily scared)
Mad Poster
#24 Old 16th Jul 2015 at 4:36 AM
I usually do some kind of needle-work watching TV - which means I'm not actually WATCHING TV

Stand up, speak out. Just not to me..
Top Secret Researcher
#25 Old 16th Jul 2015 at 3:01 PM
I watch a lot of TV shows (no "reality") but I haven't owned a TV set, saw a TV ad, or payed for cable in about 10 years. I get my news from the internet from various sources. And my computer monitor has grown quite a bit over the years. My desktop PC is for that, music, and Sims.

At this point, operating a TV remote mystifies me. I have friends who have to operate three remotes in a specific order to turn the damn thing on and I have no idea why that is.
Page 1 of 2