Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Deceased
Original Poster
#1 Old 1st Aug 2015 at 8:09 AM Last edited by scumbumbo : 13th Feb 2016 at 6:10 AM. Reason: New UI, features and bugfixes
Default [Released] Conflict Detector
Released v1.0.0 in main downloads - Get it here
26 users say thanks for this. (Who?)
Advertisement
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
#2 Old 1st Aug 2015 at 7:43 PM
Very nice! I got zero conflicts which isn't surprising considering how few mods and CC I have.

Great to have a tool for conflict detection to point people to when we get the inevitable "It doesn't work!" complaints.

Please do not PM me with mod, tutorial, or general modding questions or problems; post them in the thread for the mod or tutorial or post them in the appropriate forum.

Visit my blogs for other Sims content:
Online Sims - general mods for Sims 3
Offline Sims - adult mods for Sims 3 and Sims 4
Field Researcher
#3 Old 3rd Aug 2015 at 12:59 PM
Great! Another must have! Thanks! :D
Test Subject
#4 Old 4th Aug 2015 at 10:11 PM
Thanks so much! I use a ton of Mods/CC and was looking for something like this, not even a week ago. Even a shallow scan is better than nothing.

Lurker.
Helper.
Leecher.
"Thanks" button forgetter.
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 6th Aug 2015 at 4:39 PM
Mind if i adapt it to Mac ?
Deceased
Original Poster
#6 Old 7th Aug 2015 at 1:25 AM
Quote: Originally posted by sachamagne
Mind if i adapt it to Mac ?

I don't mind at all, that'd be great. I'll get the source up the next time I update it anyway. It's a VB .Net project, so it should be adaptable to Mono on the Mac, you'd just have to convert the UI portion from what I understand?

The author of a new mod conflict tool that was recently uploaded here is looking for someone to port it to the Mac as well. It looks like it doesn't do the actual file comparison I have planned to see if the resources are truly conflicts or not, but currently it does way more than this tool and is far more user friendly. So you may want to check his Mod Conflict Detector and see if he's interested in a conversion.
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 7th Aug 2015 at 5:00 AM
Mod Conflict Detector and see if he's interested in a conversion.[/QUOTE]
I've seen that one too and will contact him.

What i want to achieve at the end is some kind of toolbox working on both mac and windows. When done properly an application should work fine on both system as long as the UI is kept simple.

The tools so far does that:

extract all the STBLs from packages found under the sims game and store it into sqlite
next steps:

Extracting xmls and create both comment/uncomment version of them
storage of the xml relevant data into sqlite
query for strings or sql tags
check for mods incompatibilities
Mad Poster
#8 Old 9th Aug 2015 at 2:08 AM
I *like* this, thanks for posting! As always, you rock.
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 14th Aug 2015 at 10:10 AM
Simple tool but does the job, thank you Scumbumbo
Lab Assistant
#10 Old 14th Aug 2015 at 6:27 PM
Thanks scumbumbo! Great and easy to use.

Simalary Studios

Contact Me
Send me a PM, if you need to contact me for anything.
Mad Poster
#11 Old 22nd Aug 2015 at 1:01 PM
Yeah I have a suggestion... RELEASE it! (as a regular download, I mean)

It found something Dmitri's saw, but YOURS told me WHAT the problem was. His doesn't. That's gold.

Thanks!
Test Subject
#12 Old 22nd Aug 2015 at 6:35 PM
My apologies for being dumb at computer things, but once you scan the conflicts and it says different things, what do you do? I have yellow and red bars, but what exactly do I do with that information?
Lab Assistant
#13 Old 22nd Aug 2015 at 6:45 PM
Quote: Originally posted by StormyWeather1228
My apologies for being dumb at computer things, but once you scan the conflicts and it says different things, what do you do? I have yellow and red bars, but what exactly do I do with that information?

@StormyWeather1228, the information says what mods conflict with each other. You have to remove one from the sets for each.

Simalary Studios

Contact Me
Send me a PM, if you need to contact me for anything.
Test Subject
#14 Old 22nd Aug 2015 at 7:00 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simalary44
@StormyWeather1228, the information says what mods conflict with each other. You have to remove one from the sets for each.

Thank you for tolerating my dumb question!
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#15 Old 22nd Aug 2015 at 9:51 PM
Quote: Originally posted by egwarhammer
Yeah I have a suggestion... RELEASE it! (as a regular download, I mean)

It found something Dmitri's saw, but YOURS told me WHAT the problem was. His doesn't. That's gold.

Thanks!

I'd like to second that suggestion -- how about uploading this to Downloads > Programs and Utilities? It's not actually a tool required *for* modding so people who don't know it exsits will likely not look for it here.

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

In the kingdom of the blind, do as the Romans do.
Deceased
Original Poster
#16 Old 22nd Aug 2015 at 11:43 PM
Quote: Originally posted by plasticbox
I'd like to second that suggestion -- how about uploading this to Downloads > Programs and Utilities? It's not actually a tool required *for* modding so people who don't know it exsits will likely not look for it here.

True, I had just dumped it in here as a favor to folks who might visit the modding area as it isn't done but it's kind of useful. Now that I've finished up the extractor I can turn my attention back to finishing this program. It really needs a better UI, I feel.
Deceased
Original Poster
#17 Old 22nd Aug 2015 at 11:47 PM
Quote: Originally posted by StormyWeather1228

The yellow bars don't really *have* to be removed, those are duplicate resources that are identical - so they don't conflict, just take up extra hard drive space (and loading time).
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#18 Old 23rd Aug 2015 at 12:48 AM
They can be identical for a reason though -- in the screenshots you show, you have two versions of COBJ/OBJDs loaded (the "overridecolours" and "defaultcolours" stuff) that have the same IDs but are not actually identical (they have different swatch colours). People are supposed to use either one or the other, not both at the same time.

So for users who run into duplicate stuff and aren't sure what to do, I'd say the best course of action is to go to wherever they downloaded it and read the instructions (or ask the creator if there are no details mentioned) -- that example is not the only kind of mod where people may upload different flavours of the same thing on purpose.

Also, related items can have identical stuff in the files as well, say a texture that's the same in a sofa and loveseat -- if you put the same texture with the same ID in both, the game will use whichever one loads last for both items, which is more efficient than using two identical copies with different IDs. So it's entirely possible duplicates are duplicate on purpose .. again, the best way for downloaders to find out IMO is to check back and ask.

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

Deceased
Original Poster
#19 Old 23rd Aug 2015 at 12:55 AM
Hmm, perhaps I should clarify that - anything highlighted yellow after the "hash" scan are resources with both identical TGIs and matching hash values, so the resources have identical content.

So, one of them could be removed from one package, but then if the package that it was left in was removed at a later time, the one(s) that the had the resource removed would no longer work properly. So, yes, it's likely not a good idea to remove the yellow highlighted items blindly - but then that is probably true of the red items (same TGI, but different content) as well.

ETA - This is just another example of the fact that the program needs a better UI
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#20 Old 23rd Aug 2015 at 1:11 AM
I just noticed this is throwing a "System.NullReferenceException: Der Objektverweis wurde nicht auf eine Objektinstanz festgelegt" (roughly "the object reference is not set to an object instance"?) when a package in Mods is already open (like in s4pe) while one performs the scan. Can it be made to complain about open packages instead?

Deceased
Original Poster
#21 Old 23rd Aug 2015 at 2:40 AM
Quote: Originally posted by plasticbox
I just noticed this is throwing a "System.NullReferenceException" when a package in Mods is already open. Can it be made to complain about open packages instead?

Yes, that's definitely possibly and a good bug to fix. Thanks.
Deceased
Original Poster
#22 Old 1st Sep 2015 at 7:30 AM
Finally updated this sucker again, been working on it here and there. The new UI seems far better to me, but comments are welcome for improvements as long as they aren't really hard or anything.
Lab Assistant
#23 Old 2nd Sep 2015 at 12:31 PM Last edited by JustAnotherSimsFan : 2nd Sep 2015 at 2:30 PM.
Thank you for the update. Unfortunately i'm getting an unhandled exception has occured in your application window and at the bottom of the window it says an entry with the same key already exists.

Edit: Version 0.0.2 works without any problems.
Deceased
Original Poster
#24 Old 2nd Sep 2015 at 4:00 PM
Quote: Originally posted by JustAnotherSimsFan
Unfortunately i'm getting an unhandled exception has occured in your application window and at the bottom of the window it says an entry with the same key already exists.

I think there's only one way this could have happened, so this should be fixed now in 0.1.3. If that doesn't fix your issue let me know more details about the exception.

I overlooked the fact that two packages could have precisely identical file modification timestamps if one is a copy of the other. I modified the sorting process to handle this so it's no longer key-based. Kind of a stupid oversight, sorry, so thanks for the bug report!
Lab Assistant
#25 Old 2nd Sep 2015 at 8:38 PM
Fixed and another bug squished. Thank you for the quick update
Locked thread | Locked by: plasticbox Reason: Upload is in Uploads now.
Page 1 of 2