Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Mad Poster
#26 Old 9th Aug 2015 at 9:51 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ~MadameButterfly~
^^ Hopefully your burn will heal up soon. It sounds quite painful. My own house is slowing being filled with models like you describe, only in my case the buildings are warehouses, boat docks, and train stations created by my son. He just got a new glue gun yesterday after wearing his last one out. He uses up my shipping boxes that come in, card stock, and balsa wood.

@grammapat — Yeah, those big projects require such a commitment. However, I wonder what kind of design you picked out. I'm sure it is pretty. Also, I have never tried any kind of beadwork. I am not sure how I would do with that myself.

The beadwork I was doing was American Indian, onto moccasins, the other was earrings and bracelets (actually anklets)..still kept the stuff...really hard.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#27 Old 9th Aug 2015 at 11:10 PM
^^ Yep, I can believe it!

Your design looks really pretty. I'm on my iPad, so I was able to pinch-zoom in on it. I love all the detail.

@Noa1500 — I think I have the very same hedgehog...well, my son does. I gave him the kit, because he said he would like to try something like it. (I have a Siamese Cat that I did when I was younger that came in a kit, and he has always admired it.) Anyway, he took one look at the kit I got him and panicked. So, I might have to finish the hedgehog myself. I did get him to at least help cut out the pattern pieces, though.

♥ }i{ Monarch of the Receptacle Refugees }i{ ♥
Mad Poster
#28 Old 10th Aug 2015 at 1:35 AM
Quote: Originally posted by ~MadameButterfly~
^^Oooh! I would love to see your cosplay creations, Bigsimsfan12! I have only recently learned the word cosplay, but I find it fascinating

Here's my newest: Merida from Brave.
My hair was suppose to be curlier, but it just wasn't staying like that (I've found 30% of cosplaying is just keeping your costume intact throughout 1.5 hours of waiting in line in the rain). The dress was bought but I cut a few parts of it to make it more Merida like (including adding the gold silk to the elbows), bow should really be smaller but it's the only bow my Dad (former Viking reenacter) owned, the string had to be replaced with a cotton string (con rules) which, while taking that picture, I broke. The belt was bought, but I made the quiver (not pictured) out of faux leather. Not amazing, but it was my first non-store bought cosplay.

Also here's my brothers cosplay from 2011, back when he was little and cute (he's now a moody teenager ), He's L from Death Note. The wig was cut and styled (though not finished in this picture) by me, and I made the mask out of paper-mache. We had a bit of a photo-shoot in the garden. Funny story, in Death Note L walks, runs and sits in a certain distinguishing manner, so my little brother was practicing getting into character for about a week beforehand, during this week he had sports day and I came to watch him, at one point he was taking part in a race.... where he decided to run like L.

I helped my boyfriend out with his cosplays too but he's not comfortable having his picture on ModtheSims.

~Your friendly neighborhood ginge
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#29 Old 10th Aug 2015 at 1:46 AM
Oh, I love it!! I bet it was funny watching him run like that, too! Your costume is really pretty. I had no idea there were various rules like that about materials and such.

(Thank you for letting me see them. )

Mad Poster
#30 Old 10th Aug 2015 at 1:52 AM
It's more about what cons you go to. I don't know about other cons, but I always go to MCM expos, where one of the rules for bows is "Nothing that can actually be used as a projectile" so they won't let you in unless you use weak elastic, cotton string, etc. Same with arrows, luckily my Dad owned arrows with rubber on the bottom, to not hurt anyone.

~Your friendly neighborhood ginge
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#31 Old 10th Aug 2015 at 1:54 AM
Oh, okay! Yeah, that makes sense. Especially since most characters have weapons of some sort.

Inventor
#32 Old 10th Aug 2015 at 9:39 AM
@grammapat , omg that's AMAZING, so beautiful! What's it for?
Theorist
#33 Old 10th Aug 2015 at 4:55 PM
My dad had some posters of famous artwork that he got for free for being a doctor. There is usually a pharmaceutical ad on the bottom which I was thinking to trim off, then glue the poster to a canvas, then get some clear gel goop and spread it on the poster with a painter's knife. The idea is to make it look like a faux oil painting.
Don't know if I'd actually get the motivation to do it, but it doesn't sound so hard to do.

Resident wet blanket.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#34 Old 10th Aug 2015 at 5:14 PM
You should do it. It sounds like a good project to take on. You can even do a small practice test on another image, first, to be sure that it does the effect that you are hoping to achieve.

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#35 Old 11th Aug 2015 at 7:09 PM
Ooh, my little cross-stitch project arrived already. I don't have time to mess with it right now, because I have to take care of some birthday stuff for someone. But for a little looksie, I opened up the kit to have a peek at the goodies inside. I really like how they organized the colors, especially.

Believe Snow Globe Ornament
www.dimensions-crafts.com

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#36 Old 18th Aug 2015 at 9:38 PM Last edited by ~MadameButterfly~ : 18th Aug 2015 at 10:51 PM.
So my progress is as follows:

I messed up early on and had to undo most of what I have done. (I have only worked with the one starting color.) However, to ensure that I don't mess up again, I transferred the parts of the pattern that I'm currently working on to an iPad app that I got for free a long time ago. It is a really cute app, made by Disney. Unfortunately they aren't offering it for download any more. The purpose of the app is to make pixel art, but it is cool for cross-stitch because it has a grid and layers. So I put the pattern on the bottom layer and mark off the stitches I have done on a top layer. The app makes the cutest pop-pop noises for each pixel you paint. Best of all, I can zoom in on the pattern. I don't have to squint while working. In the end I'll have some pixel art and an ornament. Although, I'll probably have to export the image to add the outlines to it.

Instructor
#37 Old 18th Aug 2015 at 10:34 PM Last edited by Crowkeeper : 18th Aug 2015 at 11:34 PM. Reason: adding another project
Hi I am very happy to meet so many creative people here
@~MadameButterfly~ I love the little cross-stitch project you are working on. My mum does cross-stitching a lot too I really admire anyone who can do this. I tried but it is so hard:D
Here is my "project" I am currently working on. Please forgive the terrible photo-quality...I am really bad at taking photos...sorry:P

Visit my Tumblr for more creations http://crowkeeperthesimmer.tumblr.com :)
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#38 Old 18th Aug 2015 at 10:50 PM Last edited by ~MadameButterfly~ : 18th Aug 2015 at 11:03 PM.
Oooh! So pretty, Crowkeeper!

(Edit: I probably need to learn a new word for 'pretty', but really you guys have stunned me with the pretty.)

Theorist
#39 Old 19th Aug 2015 at 3:44 PM
Crowkeeper, you made that doll from scratch? Did you make a mold for the parts? That's really amazing!

Here is a pretty easy crafty project I did a long time ago.
I took this ugly (IMO) freebie plastic pharmaceutical company clock.

Then I took it apart, spray-painted the body of it gray stone-fleck and spray painted the hands satin black.

Now I think it kind of looks like a stylish modern/contemporary style clock.

Resident wet blanket.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#40 Old 19th Aug 2015 at 3:52 PM
^^ Oh yeah, that clock looks so much better!! <3

Crowkeeper, what is FIMO?

Instructor
#41 Old 19th Aug 2015 at 4:22 PM
Quote:
Crowkeeper, you made that doll from scratch? Did you make a mold for the parts? That's really amazing!

Thank you Yep I made it from scratch because I really wanted a BJD doll so that I can realize my fantasy costumes drawings on her but purchasing a real one is not possible for me because it is too expensive I havent made a mold for the parts yet because it is not finished. But I am planning to My grandmother is collecting dolls so I want to "copy" this doll and give it to her.
BTW: really nice idea with the clocks!
Quote:
Crowkeeper, what is FIMO?

Fimo is a polymer clay. It is very similar to cernit or sculpey. People use it a lot for accessories and such If you like "crafting" you should definitely try it out. It is really fun to work with it.

Mad Poster
#42 Old 19th Aug 2015 at 8:46 PM
Seems like there are 3 or 4 threads about crafts, projects, drawing...I can't figure out what to post to anymore.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#43 Old 19th Aug 2015 at 9:29 PM
Well, this thread is about learning to try new things in crafts. Have you recently tried to learn something new? (A new technique, even?) I think after I am done with my cross-stitch project I am going to try a needlefelting project next. I have seen kits for them, and some of them are really cute. I just don't know which one, though.

Crowkeeper, thank-you for educating me on FIMO. I'll have to look into it more later.

Instructor
#44 Old 19th Aug 2015 at 9:48 PM
Quote:
Crowkeeper, thank-you for educating me on FIMO. I'll have to look into it more later.

No problem I hope that you will share your creation with us If you decide to work with it

Today my friend told me that many people who do cosplay make the weapons from expanding foam. I would like to try that too! We always make handmade things for christmas. My brother likes to play WoW and I thought that some weapon from that game would make him happy But I am not sure which to make and I am afraid that If I just suddenly ask him which weapon he thinks is cool or something it will be suspicious:D

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#45 Old 19th Aug 2015 at 9:50 PM
I have never heard of expanding foam! Oh, the possibilities! I think that sounds like something my son would like. (I wonder if he has heard of it already? I'll have to ask him.)

Theorist
#46 Old 19th Aug 2015 at 10:16 PM
So that FIMO stuff, it's like a clay that you mold, and then when you bake it, it turns into like a plastic instead of a ceramic like normal clay? Usually when I see "polymer" I think plastic.

Oh yeah, you can build a car with expanding foam! http://www.autoblog.com/2008/05/30/...yurethane-foam/

Resident wet blanket.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#47 Old 19th Aug 2015 at 10:21 PM
Holy crap! You can't even tell it was foam in the end! :D

Instructor
#48 Old 19th Aug 2015 at 10:22 PM
Quote:
So that FIMO stuff, it's like a clay that you mold, and then when you bake it, it turns into like a plastic instead of a ceramic like normal clay? Usually when I see "polymer" I think plastic.

That is exactly how it works! There are also all kinds of colors and types with special effects to make it look like gold or silver or some precious stones.

Quote:
Oh yeah, you can build a car with expanding foam! http://www.autoblog.com/2008/05/30/...yurethane-foam/

Wow that is crazyBut I really love crazy:D

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#49 Old 19th Aug 2015 at 10:37 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Crowkeeper
Wow that is crazyBut I really love crazy:D

Me too! And sometimes it is in those moments of crazy when inspiration strikes!

Inventor
#50 Old 20th Aug 2015 at 10:33 AM
Crowkeeper, like everyone already said your BJD is amazing. I've tried using fimo clay to make a doll before but it was terrible I'm terrible at sculpting XD
And your drawings are beautiful!

PANDAQUEEN gave me a great idea when she said in other threads about rooting doll hair with wool. I thought I'd try the same with string, as it's thinner and I wanted to see if 1) I can even do it well enough to be happy with it, and 2) if string will look like hair when there's enough of it.

I've only rooted a little but so far it looks cool. Only problem is I don't have a rooting tool so I have to thread it through bit by bit and it takes AAAGGGEESSS.
Screenshots
Page 2 of 3