Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 17th Aug 2015 at 9:51 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, World Adventures, Ambitions, Late Night, Generations, Pets, Showtime, Supernatural, Seasons, University Life, Island Paradise, Into the Future
3 hours to load!
I'm having the worst trouble with my Sims 3 game. It not only takes three hours to load, but when it does load, it'll either immediately crash, or it will let me play for about 20-30 minutes before it crashes. I've used TS3CLA to delete computer temp files TS3 caches. I also use the S3 Dashboard by Delphy, but it has always shown that there's no corrupt packages. Also, when I travel, everything is fine. The loading takes about 10 minutes or less and I can play for hours on end without any issues whatsoever. Any help would be appreciated, I am truly at my wits end.
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 17th Aug 2015 at 10:24 PM
What are your system specs?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 17th Aug 2015 at 10:33 PM Last edited by mortimergoth : 20th Aug 2015 at 4:29 AM.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 18th Aug 2015 at 1:15 PM
I downloaded Kuree's save game cleaner, but I was very confused by it. When it downloaded, it only opened up this blank dialogue box with the three buttons on the side. I couldn't understand how to upload my save game to it.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 18th Aug 2015 at 3:03 PM
I downloaded Overwatch and I also attempted to load by checking the "Run without CC" box in the Sims 3 launcher, removing a few downloads, packages, and DCBackup files temporarily. I also cleared my featured items list, which had over 400 pictures. After I did all this, my game still took forever to load. I'm assuming I can't use Overwatch until I'm in game, so I'm still stuck. I have one game in Aurora Skies and another one in Bridgeport. The loading and the saving issues only occur in the town of Aurora Skies. In Bridgeport, the game will freeze immediately upon loading, and then I manually have to crash it to desktop pressing the Windows button, because it would just be frozen for hours if I didn't. Keep in mind, the CC I have is mainly used in Aurora Skies. Most of the objects and what not in Bridgeport are from the base game and expansions. I have tested a brand new game, and it works perfectly. But as I continue to play throughout the months as I edit town, build and buy more things into my game, I end up with the issue I have now. I have multiple generations in my family tree, and if I deleted my household and town, I would be completely devastated. For Aurora Skies, my NHD file is 190,105 KB. I have no overrides, but I have 40 items of package files inside of the mods/packages folder.
Scholar
#7 Old 18th Aug 2015 at 6:07 PM
as stated above - your save is bloated. If Save Cleaner does not work for you (for reason unknown SC is unable to locate the particular Registry Key pointing to savefiles on your machine) follow this manual: http://nraas.wikispaces.com/Deleting+SNAP+resources+FAQ

I'd also - personally - clean any redundant information like uninportant relationships, nonessential dead sims and so. But first - make this save a little smaller. Probably 80% (or more) smaller

favorite quote: "When ElaineNualla is posting..I always read..Nutella. I am sorry" by Rosebine
self-claimed "lower-spec simmer"
Department of Post-Mortem Communications
#8 Old 18th Aug 2015 at 6:45 PM
What makes you all believe that this is save bloat? I have saves that are larger and they load in less time, never took more than 10-15 minutes even when still on an old Mac laptop.
Forum Resident
#9 Old 18th Aug 2015 at 7:17 PM Last edited by AmandieLove : 18th Aug 2015 at 7:19 PM. Reason: Wrong Problem, Wrong Solution
EDIT: I misremembered what the problem was and made a solution to the wrong problem. I am keeping it down there in case you end up needing it after all but I second what the others have said about cleaning up your saves for now.
-------

Do you use an FPS limiter? Look it up on MATY, it's with their 3booter. It may or may not help but it's necessary for me to play the game.

I would just make a backup of your Electronic Arts folder (as well as any modified program files) and uninstall/reinstall and start over clean. Test it first vanilla with no CC, store content, or EPs/SPs. Gradually add EPs/SPs and CC until you exceed a comfortable load time and/or start crashing. Then remove the stuff that you out in right before that point. Yes it is time consuming and you may have to sacrifice your saves (so maybe package your favorite sims with only base game content and write their stats down to preserve them in case you have to rebuild in another save.) But 3 hour load times are time consuming too.

Your call.

~Someday my prince will come... And he better not bring all his hood's character files with him.~
@)->----- Place this ASCII flower in your sig as a thank you to all of our amazing moderators at MTS!
TS3 vs. Your CPU: The Solution
Shameless plug for my fledgeling Simblr here
Top Secret Researcher
#10 Old 18th Aug 2015 at 10:37 PM
Where you mentioned "I have tested a brand new game, and it works perfectly. But as I continue to play throughout the months as I edit town, build and buy more things into my game, I end up with the issue I have now". It almost sounds that some of the stuff you are adding could be causing the problems you are experiencing.

Keep in mind while Delphy's is an awesome tool, it does not always pick up many other types of conflicts.
You could have a Mod conflict in your Package folder .. Are all your Mods updated to the patch you are using? What patch are you using and what mods do you have installed?

There could also be a corrupt household and/or lot in your Library folder that will cause problems.

There could be a corrupt sim in your Saved Sims Folder as well as corruption in the .dbc files in DCCache if you have downloaded any Custom Content.

As suggested by others here you might want to put your Sims 3 Game Folder on your desktop and load a new game. It will generate a new The Sims 3 Game Folder. If that loads okay quit and start adding folders from the game on your desktop one at a time starting with the Mods Folder with Overwatch and Error Trap installed. Everyone has their own way of doing this but I have always added the Mods folder first, then the Library Folder, Then DCCache, etc. Testing the game each time a new folder is added.

There are also some tips for cleaning up game files in the middle Column on This Page that might be useful.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#11 Old 19th Aug 2015 at 2:17 AM Last edited by mortimergoth : 19th Aug 2015 at 1:59 PM.
I appreciate all you guys' help. I downloaded Errortrap, Overwatch, and S3PE. Even with all of these, I still had to delete my Aurora Skies file. I started a brand new game with Isla Paradiso, kept all my original mods and packages, and now my game loads within 5-10 minutes. It seems that Overwatch does delete a few things 3 AM sim time, which is great with an ongoing game, considering that it keeps my save file not so bloated. I agree with @nitromon and @AmandiaLove, because after I used S3PE, my save went from over 100,000 KB to less than 40,000 KB. So, in order to keep my save not so huge, I'll continue with the three mods, and maybe move my save file to desktop.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#13 Old 19th Aug 2015 at 1:58 PM
@nitromon I have disabled notifications for memories, does that help at all? I downloaded Kuree's save game cleaner, but I was very confused by it. When it downloaded, it only opened up this blank dialogue box with the three buttons on the side. I couldn't understand how to upload my save game to it.
Top Secret Researcher
#14 Old 19th Aug 2015 at 2:14 PM
I'm not sure if this will help but where did you put the download? I have mine in My Documents and put a short cut to the .exe file on my desktop. It's been a long time since I installed the application but you might need to load the game first...
Scholar
#15 Old 19th Aug 2015 at 3:53 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Don_Babilon
What makes you all believe that this is save bloat? I have saves that are larger and they load in less time, never took more than 10-15 minutes even when still on an old Mac laptop.
still

because never cleaned and long played save must be bloated - it's simple put: unavoidable. And, right, the real reason may be completeley different, but finding, maybe fixing or at last - saving families if possible would be much easier while working on smaller pile of data.

In such particular case I'd clean the save and attempt to retrieve key families with Porter. The save and the town might be beyound repair but sims may be still relatively healthy. At last - part of them.

favorite quote: "When ElaineNualla is posting..I always read..Nutella. I am sorry" by Rosebine
self-claimed "lower-spec simmer"
Test Subject
Original Poster
#16 Old 19th Aug 2015 at 9:29 PM
@barbarat My Documents and on the desktop.
#17 Old 19th Aug 2015 at 11:50 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ElaineNualla
still

because never cleaned and long played save must be bloated - it's simple put: unavoidable. And, right, the real reason may be completeley different, but finding, maybe fixing or at last - saving families if possible would be much easier while working on smaller pile of data.

In such particular case I'd clean the save and attempt to retrieve key families with Porter. The save and the town might be beyound repair but sims may be still relatively healthy. At last - part of them.
Yes, but 3 hours to load a 190MB save! Depending on how often Sims were sent into CAS during the game and how often households were switched SaveCleaner will reduce that to maybe 100MB. And personally I cannot discern any drastic performance increase when SNAPs have been purged.
And then there's this that I took from OP's posts:
Quote:
In Bridgeport, the game will freeze immediately upon loading, and then I manually have to crash it to desktop pressing the Windows button

This sounds like a deeper rooted problem.
This laptop is Windows 10 and has an unsupported video card. Maybe this is part of the problem, too?

Before tinkering with mods and extra tools I would therefore try the fresh clean user folder approach first. How are loading times then? Should be less than 5 minutes on a new game. And even less when this is saved and reloaded.

And @mortimergoth: Could you perhaps put your dxdiag behind spoiler tags, please? It makes the thread easier to read. Just mark the whole thing and press the Image or Quote button and then replace the IMG or QUOTE words with SPOILER in the beginning and /SPOILER at the end
It will then look like this:
Test Subject
Original Poster
#18 Old 20th Aug 2015 at 12:23 AM
@Don_Babilon I use TS3CLA, and a few times it said my NVIDIA graphics card was unsupported, for both Aurora Skies and Bridgegport. There were times on occasion that both of those towns crashed, and the crash log in TS3CLA gave me both of those errors, and on other times that I needed to reduce memory. Yeah, my user files are new, considering my new game takes 7 minutes or less.
I'll post my DXDIAG in spoiler tags soon.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#19 Old 20th Aug 2015 at 12:28 AM
@Don_Babilon For some reason it won't let me attach the file for DXDIAG. I would just have to copy and paste like I did in the beginning of this thread. :/
#20 Old 20th Aug 2015 at 1:02 AM
What I meant was that it would be better to hide your old dxdiag post behind spoiler tags. You can edit it and add the tags.

With regard to CrashLogAnalyzer: As far as I know it has been outdated for quite some time now and has been erratic when it comes to telling you what the actual reason for a crash is.

Your card is unsupported because it is too new, and Windows 10 as well. There is hardly any experience with that yet.

But I still think that 3 hours is unnaturally long. You say that WA destinations work fine and fluent but when you return from any of these destinations how long does that take? It's hard to judge why saves take long without really knowing what you have in terms of cc and mods and what you actually did in those saves. 190MB in any case is not very big if you've got a long running game and with a lot of generations. I can easily reach 100 without aging on when I make over every Sim and play several households in a save. But I have never experienced load times that long on an i7 3770 @3.4GHz and a GTX 570. And my laptop was a Core2Duo @2.8GHz with a Geforce 9600M.

Long loading times are also caused by using a mod that allows you to lock wishes for unplayed households and these also bloat saves much more than SNAPs. Long loading could also be caused by being online while playing, I always have my internet turned off when I play The Sims.
Forum Resident
#21 Old 20th Aug 2015 at 1:36 AM
Instead of disabling notifications for memories, I disable memories altogether. If you're on 1.67, at least, (this probably works before that patch too), it's just another option in the menu where you turned off notifications. It keeps them from being generated to bloat your saves in the first place.

I don't know about Aurora Skies, but I heard that Bridgeport is a problematic world in general with its lag. I'd avoid it if it crashes your game, but other neighborhoods don't.

What are your graphics settings? Are there some things you could lower or disable (i.e. sim detail, edge smoothing) at least as a temporary solution until you can upgrade your graphics card?

~Someday my prince will come... And he better not bring all his hood's character files with him.~
@)->----- Place this ASCII flower in your sig as a thank you to all of our amazing moderators at MTS!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#23 Old 20th Aug 2015 at 4:35 AM
@Don_Babilon Ahh okay, thanks, got the tag to work. My game was 3 hours long way before the Windows 10 update, but my graphics card is very new. When I return to the destinations, it takes 3 hours. My game had many generations, and I always logged into my Sims 3 profile while I played, that way I could use Simport. @AmandieLove I will definitely disable memories altogether. Like @nitromon, I didn't know there was a difference with the memories either. But it makes sense, considering the memory still has to be saved somewhere, even if it doesn't notify you. @AmandieLove All my graphics are optimized, but I could turn them down. My graphics card is NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760.
Forum Resident
#24 Old 20th Aug 2015 at 11:03 PM
Welcome, @mortimergoth. I wish I knew of a way to delete existing memories. Then I would tell you here.

Alchemist
#25 Old 20th Aug 2015 at 11:21 PM
Quote: Originally posted by AmandieLove
Welcome, @mortimergoth. I wish I knew of a way to delete existing memories. Then I would tell you here.

http://sims3.crinrict.com/en/2011/0...e-memories.html
http://nraas.wikispaces.com/Which+Mod+FAQ#Memories
Page 1 of 2