Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Theorist
#51 Old 30th Aug 2015 at 6:06 PM
Quote: Originally posted by stuart-grey
We had most everything way back in the day, it was just different.

emindsme of a picture I once saw, about computer terms and their old meanings (application used to be that job thing etc).

The gorgeous Tina (TS3) and here loving family available for download here.
Advertisement
Banned
#53 Old 30th Aug 2015 at 6:28 PM
In the olden days, we had orange 70s/80s/90s/??s streetlights. I kind of liked them. Then the UK Highways Agency or parliament came in, and are replacing them with Zion lights.
CHANGE THEM BACK NAO
Mad Poster
#54 Old 30th Aug 2015 at 8:27 PM
Actually, back when I was growing up, people talked to each other face to face or talked on a real phone-and if you couldn't afford your own private line, you had a party line..had to wait for the other parties to stop talking to make a call-or listened in silently.(The others knew you were doing it, too..)

Now they text each other while sitting beside each other.

Receptacle Refugee & Resident Polar Bear
"Get out of my way, young'un, I'm a ninja!"
Grave Matters: The funeral podium is available here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/e6tj...albits.zip/file
My other downloads are here: https://app.mediafire.com/myfiles
Instructor
#55 Old 30th Aug 2015 at 10:16 PM
Haha, you all sound so old.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#56 Old 30th Aug 2015 at 10:33 PM
Quote: Originally posted by PlatinumPlumbbob
Back in the olden days, I checked out library books by letting the librarians stamp them with the due dates. Renewing books meant I physically had to go to library and ask for renewal.

Now, the libraries around me have all digitized the system, and many books have been digitized too so that means I no longer have to go to the library to check out a book, to renew, or to return.

I always enjoyed the librarian stamping my books as a kid. It seemed... official? Now a days at our library not only electronic but you do it yourself. I don't like it, I feel like I am stealing their books and things.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#57 Old 30th Aug 2015 at 11:24 PM
Quote:

Yes, we do..and in some cases we're old enough to be someone's grandparent.

Grave Matters: The funeral podium is available here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/e6tj...albits.zip/file
Scholar
#58 Old 31st Aug 2015 at 2:06 AM
I'm Young, yet I remember
the cassette tapes, the larger videotapes and my parents seldom used typewriter.
Windows 95, My cities in the garden using rocks for homes and the boxy tube TV. I still have the Television, unfortunately the tube is dying after 20+ years of service.
Also it only has ~15 channels (free view not Sky), of which I use only channels 1-5.
@SuperSimoholic
That's Croc I presume?, I'd know the Crocodile anywhere. Never got to complete the game because someone else who borrowed it lost it and thus it was never returned to the public Library. Still hunting.

And yet my brother turned around and told me that no one even texts anymore, let alone calling or physical conversation.
#60 Old 31st Aug 2015 at 2:41 AM
Quote: Originally posted by PlatinumPlumbbob
Has anybody noticed that most of us wrote about advancements and complaints about living in the first world?

wooosh!!! <-- went over my head.

Nope. Didn't notice that until you pointed it out.

Actually, I love computers and programming and robotics and electronics. :lovestruc

I wish I could work on that instead of being an "engineer" at a large company.

My own doing. I was actually hired to make little computers and programming them and do Independent Research and Development. But noooo... I had to decide needed "real world experience".
#61 Old 31st Aug 2015 at 2:43 AM
wooosh!!! <-- went over my head.

Nope. Didn't notice that until you pointed it out.

Actually, I love computers and programming and robotics and electronics. :lovestruc

I wish I could work on that instead of being an "engineer" at a large company.

My own doing. I was actually hired to make little computers and programming them and do Independent Research and Development. But noooo... I had to decide needed "real world experience".

maybe when you retire, stuart you could become a bit of a boffin and indulge yourself
#62 Old 31st Aug 2015 at 3:51 AM
Nah. I never was much of a ladies man. Never boffed with anyone but my wife. I also want to build a humanoid robot, cover it with a human like silicone skin, and program it to do things like ... mow the law, load the dishwasher, vacuum the rug. Hey, what did you think I was going to program it to do? That boffin thing?

whatever gets you through the night, stewie baby, whatever gets you through the night!
Banned
#63 Old 31st Aug 2015 at 9:59 PM
Quote: Originally posted by RedSneakers

I'm 14.
And back when I was born and one month and three days after my birthday, we didn't have to worry about terrorism as much.
Then America cried.

This is a reminder to let you know that September is tomorrow.
Mad Poster
#64 Old 31st Aug 2015 at 10:10 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Aaron4Ever
I'm 14.
And back when I was born and one month and three days after my birthday, we didn't have to worry about terrorism as much.
Then America cried.

This is a reminder to let you know that September is tomorrow.
America didn't worry as much about terrorism, but many in the rest of the world did. Probably on Sept 11, the US learned that they weren't immune.
#65 Old 31st Aug 2015 at 10:16 PM
Quote: Originally posted by VerDeTerre
America didn't worry as much about terrorism, but many in the rest of the world did. Probably on Sept 11, the US learned that they weren't immune.

This is very true - as a boy I narrowly missed two IRA bombs by a mere few hours.
Mad Poster
#66 Old 31st Aug 2015 at 10:22 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Thranduil Oropherion
This is very true - as a boy I narrowly missed two IRA bombs by a mere few hours.
What an awful way to grow up. I'm not trying to minimize what happened in New York, either. I was worried when the carriers headed towards Washington as I have cousins there and a friend of mine in New York reported that the air was awful for several days afterwards and her throat hurt. A woman at work lost her brother and only found out about it because of the news on the TV. It was awful. But as Thranduil just pointed out, it's been happening for a long time many other places.
Theorist
#67 Old 5th Sep 2015 at 12:45 AM
I felt really really old, installing TS3 with my disc I once bought in the toy store back in 2009. A computer game on disc, while Steam and Origin exist nowadays.

The gorgeous Tina (TS3) and here loving family available for download here.
Top Secret Researcher
#68 Old 5th Sep 2015 at 2:04 AM
I remember visiting my father's friend in Australia and he had FM radio - stereo! It sounded fantastic.
Remember the first video player I saw. The remote was attached by a cord.
We had black and white TV for a long time, having to get up to change the volume, or to move the wires around to get better reception. Even with just one channel, the TV shows were way more entertaining than today's multiple channels of reality crap.
I remember seeing the first mobile phone - the huge brick-like thing - which I thought even then looked ridiculous.
I still have some cassette tapes (one autographed by Joe Walsh) and they still work fine (yep, still got a small stereo that plays them).
We used to have an old Amstrad computer and it took about 10 minutes to load a simple game.
We were super-excited about getting the first Playstation and thought it was amazing.
Mad Poster
#69 Old 5th Sep 2015 at 3:00 AM
Hate to bring up old sad songs, but terrorism is as old as mankind.

It's just labeled differently in history. The French Revolution, The Russian Revolution, any revolution involved killing and terrorism.

Wars are also a good experiment in terrorism.

So when someone points out 9/11, many other people have experienced far worse and survived. Ours was just viewed globally-theirs wasn't.

Scholar
Original Poster
#70 Old 5th Sep 2015 at 10:48 PM
When I was a kid, in most houses, there was an ashtray in every room. Some were cheap tin things,
but most were made of brass, polished stone, glass, crystal, or ceramic.
Some even came with matching lighters and cigarette cases.

Almost every grown-up I knew smoked at least 2 packs a day.
My brothers and I knew all the cigarette jingles by heart.
We'd sing them as often as any other song we might hear.

Instructor
#71 Old 9th Sep 2015 at 5:40 AM
We had dial-up when I was about... 3/4 years old or so. My father was obsessed with the shiny newfangled website design (which, nowadays, would hurt anyone's eyes) and we had to beg him to log off just for us to use the phone!
Page 3 of 3