Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

XML Extractor for The Sims 4

by scumbumbo Posted 28th Aug 2015 at 6:15 AM - Updated 8th Dec 2018 at 12:51 AM by scumbumbo : Version 3.6.2 - December 7, 2018

119 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 91 Feedback Posts, 27 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 1 of 5
Rabid Recoloring Renegade
retired moderator THANKS POST
#2 Old 28th Aug 2015 at 6:23 AM
I know I will need this someday. Thank you!
Smeg Head
THANKS POST
#3 Old 28th Aug 2015 at 6:33 AM
If anything is going to get me started on the modding trail again, it will be this. Nice one, scumbumbo.
Forum Resident
THANKS POST
#4 Old 28th Aug 2015 at 10:48 AM
Thank you so much for this program, I 'm going to last, it's great
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 28th Aug 2015 at 4:26 PM
Does anyone even use the 0x<group>!0x<instance>.0x<type> format that the game can natively read from outside .package files? I'm not sure I've seen anyone besides myself using it.
Not exactly a request to add it, mind; I have my own set of scripts to handle converting Sims 4-related file names, and they already handle the format you have used. It's more that I'm curious about whether other people make use of it or not.
Field Researcher
THANKS POST
#6 Old 28th Aug 2015 at 4:59 PM
A must-have for modders! Thank you! :D
Field Researcher
#7 Old 28th Aug 2015 at 5:34 PM Last edited by egureh : 28th Aug 2015 at 5:48 PM.
Hi scumbumbo, I am curious about how does this extractor choose string file.
I am using English version Windows 10, my Origin client setting and the language setting of TS4 are both en-US.
But I got a copy of Chinese strings after extracting... and all the string comments of xml files are in Chinese.
The only Chinese relevant setting I made to my system is Country and Region, which I set to China, will this affect the extractor?
Mad Poster
THANKS POST
#8 Old 29th Aug 2015 at 2:03 AM
Thanks! I'm sure I'll be making use of this! :)
Deceased
Original Poster
#9 Old 29th Aug 2015 at 2:16 AM
Quote: Originally posted by DarkWalker
Does anyone even use the 0x<group>!0x<instance>.0x<type> format that the game can natively read from outside .package files?

I'm familiar with that numbering but didn't realize it would work outside of a package file. I wonder if that format can be reloaded in game then like you can with a loose file script?

It would be easy enough for me to add that naming selection since it sounds like it could be useful. The next time I update the program that will be included.
Deceased
Original Poster
#10 Old 29th Aug 2015 at 2:27 AM
Quote: Originally posted by egureh
Hi scumbumbo, I am curious about how does this extractor choose string file.
I am using English version Windows 10, my Origin client setting and the language setting of TS4 are both en-US.
But I got a copy of Chinese strings after extracting... and all the string comments of xml files are in Chinese.
The only Chinese relevant setting I made to my system is Country and Region, which I set to China, will this affect the extractor?

Hmmm, interesting - you must have both the Chinese and English string packages? The program just looks for all of the Strings_*.package files and if a string hash is already in the index then it is ignored, so in the case of multiple string package files whichever of the filenames comes first would be the language the strings end up in. It doesn't look at the game settings at all.

I'll give it some thought about how best to alter that situation.
Field Researcher
#11 Old 29th Aug 2015 at 3:05 AM
Quote: Originally posted by scumbumbo
Hmmm, interesting - you must have both the Chinese and English string packages? The program just looks for all of the Strings_*.package files and if a string hash is already in the index then it is ignored, so in the case of multiple string package files whichever of the filenames comes first would be the language the strings end up in. It doesn't look at the game settings at all.
I'll give it some thought about how best to alter that situation.

So I understand, I do have all the 17 language packages, and the program alphabetically reads Strings_CHT_CN.package first.
Yah, I try to delete other 16 string packages, leaving only Strings_ENG_US.package, and the extracting result is perfectly fine now.
Thank you! :D
Deceased
Original Poster
#12 Old 29th Aug 2015 at 3:10 AM
@DarkWalker - Regarding the 0x<group>!0x<instance>.0x<type> format, the files I'm seeing from EA that use this convention do not have a "0x" before the type, they just use 0x<group>!0x<instance>.<type>. I'm going to assume that the notation you originally typed is what works for you and include that 0x before type, but if that was a typo let me know and I'll fix that.
Deceased
Original Poster
#13 Old 29th Aug 2015 at 3:11 AM
So I understand, I do have all the 17 language packages, and the program alphabetically reads Strings_CHT_CN.package first.
Yah, I try to delete other 16 string packages, leaving only Strings_ENG_US.package, and the extracting result is perfectly fine now.
Thank you! :D

No worries, glad it's working for you now but I have a plan of attack already on a proper fix so you don't have to go through all that

ETA - @egureh - How did you get all the different string files like that? Would be useful for me for testing to be able to do the same. I'll Google it, but if you see this first....
Field Researcher
#14 Old 29th Aug 2015 at 3:46 AM
No worries, glad it's working for you now but I have a plan of attack already on a proper fix so you don't have to go through all that
ETA - @egureh - How did you get all the different string files like that? Would be useful for me for testing to be able to do the same. I'll Google it, but if you see this first....

Well the story is a bit long, thanks to EA we do not have Origin server in China mainland, the download speed in Origin client is kind of terrible.
So I use a sniffer tool to get the direct download link and download the game via a download tool, which could reach my max network speed.
And this will download the whole game as a zip file, ignoring language setting, so here we go, I got all the 17 string packages.
Anyway, as long as you purchased a world wild version, you could get the multilanguage zip file. Hmm, seems the story is not that long.
Deceased
Original Poster
#15 Old 29th Aug 2015 at 4:01 AM
Well the story is a bit long

Interesting

Sounds like more work than I need to do though. I was just curious how well the extract worked with the strings in a different language, and you've really answered that anyway - it sounds like that does work.
Field Researcher
#16 Old 29th Aug 2015 at 4:05 AM
Interesting
Sounds like more work than I need to do though. I was just curious how well the extract worked with the strings in a different language, and you've really answered that anyway - it sounds like that does work.

Yep, I guess if the program only reads Strings_ENG_US.package then there is no such problem.
Deceased
Original Poster
#17 Old 29th Aug 2015 at 4:15 AM
Yep, I guess if the program only reads Strings_ENG_US.package then there is no such problem.

The next version will scan the installed Strings_* packages at startup and give you a combobox to select which language package you want to extract the strings from.

With both that and the new file name pattern, I will probably get it posted ASAP, maybe later tonight yet.
Field Researcher
#18 Old 29th Aug 2015 at 4:42 AM
The next version will scan the installed Strings_* packages at startup and give you a combobox to select which language package you want to extract the strings from.
With both that and the new file name pattern, I will probably get it posted ASAP, maybe later tonight yet.

Sounds cool! :D
Lab Assistant
#19 Old 29th Aug 2015 at 6:17 AM
@DarkWalker - Regarding the 0x<group>!0x<instance>.0x<type> format, the files I'm seeing from EA that use this convention do not have a "0x" before the type, they just use 0x<group>!0x<instance>.<type>. I'm going to assume that the notation you originally typed is what works for you and include that 0x before type, but if that was a typo let me know and I'll fix that.

Well, I've always used 0x before the type when representing it as a hex number, I didn't even know it could be left out.

It's possible, though, to use non-numeric types by adding them to the resources.cfg file, in which case the 0x should be left out; I do this for my personal use, as it makes finding the correct file to edit easier. I can provide instructions and examples later (when I'm not posting from my mobile) if you are interested.
Deceased
Original Poster
#20 Old 29th Aug 2015 at 6:24 AM
Version 3.3.2 with the above mentioned additions has been uploaded. I have not updated the source code as these changes are fairly minor.
Field Researcher
THANKS POST
#21 Old 29th Aug 2015 at 6:55 AM
Thanks for updating!
Field Researcher
THANKS POST
#22 Old 6th Sep 2015 at 5:33 AM
Hey thank you!
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#23 Old 23rd Sep 2015 at 1:38 AM
A 1000 thanks for this! It's absolutely perfect and I love it.
just a girl
THANKS POST
#24 Old 13th Oct 2015 at 9:41 PM
Thank you very much! You made it so easy to use, the thing does all by itself =)
Mad Poster
THANKS POST
#25 Old 4th Dec 2015 at 8:42 PM Last edited by Deaderpool : 4th Dec 2015 at 9:30 PM.
Is it just me or is this broken as-of today's patch? Not even sure if @Scumbumbo is still around, but thought I'd ask.
Page 1 of 5