Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Theorist
Original Poster
#1 Old 1st Sep 2015 at 5:58 PM
Default Things you tried and decided against it
The game is a sandbox allowing us to do lots of things thanks to various CC, hacks, mods, programs and utilities. So what did you tried and why did you decide against it?

- playing a Legacy. I started a Legacy back in 2006, got till generation 6, had the first-born syndrome as I was trying to fulfill the 10 children want. I also wanted to play the spares. Playing only one family was the drawback. I quit.
- playing aging off. I tried playing aging off during my first BACC attempt. I failed. I think I need to see the life bar progress.
- playing vampires, zombies and servos. I think they don't suit my playstyle.

ETA
- family having only one child. I wanted to fight overpopulation but I find families with one kid a bit sad to play. It works well but I think that I'll let ACR handle it from now on.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 1st Sep 2015 at 6:18 PM
Running business lots is not my forte.

After playing apartment lots and finding out how they worked and how glitchy they are, from now on they get deleted from all hoods of mine for I hate them with a passion.

ADD: I use to try and kept all sims alive and never let them die but no more, they all die now either from an accident or old age which ever one come first.

All my Beginning Hoods here at MTS. http://www.modthesims.info/member.php?u=7749491
All my Beginning Hoods as Shopping Districts plus Old Town. http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=523417
MooVille, a tribute to Mootilda and her fabulous lots http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=534158
Instructor
#3 Old 1st Sep 2015 at 6:19 PM
Oh I quite like only child families!

I tried a medieval hood..downloaded a lot of stuff and really tried, but it was just too much effort so I bailed There are just too many things to think of to keep the theme consistent, and it got tiresome after a while. I did have a lot of fun creating the families though, and would quite like to have a hood just for using CAS even if I don't play any of the medieval characters

Bustin' Out!
Field Researcher
#4 Old 1st Sep 2015 at 6:25 PM
I had fun playing a multigenerational family. Hardly the legacy challenge because I did my own thing. I would also play the entire family too. I would rotate between them by season, and any college sims between all rotations. Elder sims moved into a retirement home and were added to the rotation, while I decided on matriarch/patriarch by sims among them who truly stood out in intelligence, leadership abilities and genetics and had them organize entire family get togethers, like reunions, weddings, baby showers, holidays, and funerals. I also bought a community lot that was like a business but never operated, and was soley for the deceased members of the family. Having as a business allowed me to make changes to the lot and build on it. And keeping graves off lot prevented excessive hauntings.

When an elder sim was near death, I would invite their family, children, grandchildren to spend one last day together. The sim who managed the retirement home would give the family personal items that belonged to the sim plus their funds in the form of expensive decorative items, that could be sold, as gifts. These became heirlooms. Crafts, mounted fish, paintings, written books, hobby plaques. Anything which was personal to the sim.

I also keep the very first date flowers from the sims they married and put them on the graves of their dearly departed, along with their portraits taken with the camera in the career rewards. I got up to five generations before something happened to the computer and I lost my game and reinstalled on another computer. I have never been able to capture the magic again.
Top Secret Researcher
#6 Old 1st Sep 2015 at 6:34 PM
Like Marka said, i've found out the apartments have too many problems. I am never playing them again, no matter what. I would like to play Belladonna Cove at some point though (never touched it) o.o i'm guessing i'll just have to move everyone out and bulldoze the apartments when I decide to try Belladonna Cove.

Other than the apartment thing I have no idea. I like doing many things and really haven't done much yet tbh.

My Simblr
He/They
Alchemist
#7 Old 1st Sep 2015 at 6:39 PM
Now I just remembered .. I have never entered a dance contest with my sims. Or had a saloon.

Anyhow. I really don't like joining greek houses, because then I feel like I have to play with the other sims in that greek house I move into.
Mad Poster
#8 Old 1st Sep 2015 at 7:08 PM
I am not fond of apartments either and do not like playing them. So I don't.
I don't like Greek houses either (feeling like throwing their eternal pizzas at them all the time) - so those students moved into dorms. All of them.
Witches - once (and it was a LOT of fun for a while) was enough.
I tried to play without townies once and it felt like a funeral.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#9 Old 1st Sep 2015 at 7:26 PM
I don't do the Greek houses either - we don't have them here so it feels kind of irrelevant. I like apartments myself and don't seem to have issues playing them. I don't do much supernatural stuff but I do do some. Tell you what, I've never done a plantsim. Never felt like a bonafide supernatural to me.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Top Secret Researcher
#10 Old 1st Sep 2015 at 7:55 PM
But apartments are so fun! And you have someone to spy on while the family is at work/school: the neighbours and their tormentor, the landlord/landlady.

I'm not interested in plantsims either. I've tried them because of the Riverblossom Hills premade plantsims, but I haven't created any more of them. I think I will just keep that legacy alive, with their greenhouse-home.
(And since I don't spray my vegetables/orchards, I'm not likely to have any other plantsims anyway :p)
Top Secret Researcher
#11 Old 1st Sep 2015 at 8:04 PM
I could play apartments before I got the UC, when I used the disks on my tiny somewhat broken laptop, but then the UC came out and unlike the disks actually works on my desktop
but apartments had all sorts of glitches i've never had before with the disks
so I give up

I don't like Greek houses either but would like to try to give them one more honest try, I mean they aren't bad to play (minus too much pizza) but then I feel like I must continue it on and it gets...weird.

Edit: And lag, on the apartments. Playable but just better to not play them.

My Simblr
He/They
Scholar
#12 Old 1st Sep 2015 at 8:16 PM
I tried to use Moghughson's Write without a computer manuscript but it always glitches when putting the book in the mailbox. I know which mods may affect it but can't seem to remove one of them. (Monique's Hacked Computer and the Sim a little dream a lot mailbox)
So all my sims are stuck using computers (which evidently fails when the house is a medieval or no electricity style)

Other than that I haven't given up on anything that I have tried.
Forum Resident
#13 Old 1st Sep 2015 at 8:24 PM
I tried a legacy but failed. Tried a medieval hood but got a 'modern" idea so started another hood for that and never went back to my medieval hood. Tried playing a hood with two families playing every child ACR gave my couples and that worked for a while until I had about 30 households to play in rotation so I bailed. Tried polygamist marriage but got overwhelmed by all the children. So so many thigs that I have started but given up on. lol

The moon so bright shows me the way
Deep in the graveyard beside her I lay
Knowing she'll keep me safe from all harms
Though six feet apart, I lay in her arms...
Mad Poster
#14 Old 1st Sep 2015 at 8:28 PM
I tried plantsims during my experimental games and decided, "Oh, hell, no" when Daisy went straight from toddler to adult. When I finally installed OFB I added Bluewater Village to Drama Acres, then decided it was too much - too many new sims in an already huge neighborhood! Shame not to have a Landgraab/Hawkins cross, but there it is. So I restored from the backup. I made right before adding it.

I love apartments, but the ones that ship with the game are no better than the residences and community lots that ship with the game, and I don't play those much anymore. I make my own, or convert residences.The thing is, they have certain specific uses. Like real life apartments, they work best for small families in transient situations - sooner or later they're going to glitch or become inconvenient in some other way, and at that point the family should just move. I like them for young singles and for families just starting out, with only one child. And one of the fun things about my GS Uberhood challenge is that the family is always supposed to be renting, and moves frequently, so I can experiment with different floorplans and styles of apartment and common area and see how the family interacts with their neighbors - and the landlord, who is always the same man and who loves playing peek-a-boo. Since I put "no $20K handout" into downloads specifically for this challenge, Gordon the Asexual Landlord is a fixture of the neighborhood, almost all the secondary families know him, and I've grown fond of him. He's saved the Harts from roach flu so many times!

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Top Secret Researcher
#15 Old 1st Sep 2015 at 8:42 PM
I don't bother with challenges which require scoring - I see no point and it takes the fun out of playing (imo).
I also don't play Greek houses because we don't have them.
I've tried playing various businesses but they're a lot of effort and I give up.
I've also tried playing zombies and werewolves but they're pretty boring - they're just the same as normal sims with a funny walk and strange noises, really.
I have no problem with apartments but only put single or newly married Sims in there and take them out usually after they start a family or can afford a decent house.
I've tried breeding cats and/or dogs but, again, too much hassle.
Top Secret Researcher
#16 Old 1st Sep 2015 at 8:44 PM
Apartments in the UC have had issues from the getgo for me. The EA ones become unusable as soon as I use the boolprop cheat for any reason, completely unplayable. I got around that by making my own...laggy, annoying, but playable. Had some, fixable, glitches there too but with the lag I just decided to say goodbye to them for good. I don't know why they lag (playing a dorm in my royal kingdom did too but it was mostly fine and Uni is temporary anyway). Everything else about the game is fine. Sure it'll freeze for a second if say, a witch or leader of the pack or something comes on the lot, but that's normal and fine, just a second or so for that person/wolf/whatever to get loaded on the lot and as far as i'm aware quite common.

The apartments though, it just seems the UC hates them and I have no idea why.

My Simblr
He/They
Field Researcher
#17 Old 1st Sep 2015 at 8:53 PM
I don't really care about apartments that much but they are a rip off so I don't use them alot, plus they make the game lag.
Plantsims are weird, seeing a toddler just transition into an adult like was just stupid, I only made 1 plantsim using cheats and she was boring.
I don't actually like pets that much, they have no use yet I have to keep filling their bowls and cleaning their beds.. I do have a family pet from time to time though.
I just bit my tongue and I'm about to cry.
Test Subject
#18 Old 1st Sep 2015 at 9:01 PM
Making my own downtown. It sounded pretty cool but wow do I find city lots boring to make :I Decided it was not my thing after like, one building hehe.
Top Secret Researcher
#19 Old 1st Sep 2015 at 9:17 PM
Quote: Originally posted by wickedjr89
Apartments in the UC have had issues from the getgo for me. (...)

Indeed if your computer/install doesn't like them, they're not worth the trouble, they're not THAT fun
Instructor
#20 Old 1st Sep 2015 at 9:19 PM
BUILDING LOTS!!

I went through this phrase where I was determined to build my own hood with my own lots. I soon realised that I actually don't like building all that much, and can't build for nothing. If the world was ending, and it was left up to me to save it by building a Lot ... well sorry peeps I'll see you in the After Life. :D

But I'll never say never .. maybe one day I'll attempt it but for now I'll continue to download other people's lots.
Mad Poster
#21 Old 1st Sep 2015 at 9:24 PM
Any time I've considered playing families with deaths in. Unless it's a sim I've just made and haven't really become attached to yet; I can't kill them. I'd find it interesting to play a family who have lost a parent or a child, but I can't bring me to kill off my sims for a story... especially not the children.

Also I keep meaning to make a city neighbourhood, but it's soooo much effort. I'd really love to though, I've even drawn out blueprints of the town, houses, names of streets, etc. Never actually made it.

~Your friendly neighborhood ginge
Field Researcher
#22 Old 1st Sep 2015 at 9:25 PM
*bragging ahead* Apartments are glitch-free in my game. :P
Mad Poster
#23 Old 1st Sep 2015 at 9:27 PM
Building. If I really need to build a house, they are just boxes. No landscaping at all. So I prefer download house with nice landscaping what suits my family needs and funds.
Apartments. In rare occassions only.
Owned business. Once long time ago when OFB came out I got my business to highest rank. Lost interest totally.
Rotations. Tried several times but gave up. If one household gets interesting then no rotations for me...
Mad Poster
#24 Old 1st Sep 2015 at 9:32 PM
I've stopped making my sims going to college on the University lots. College in TS2 (and TS3) bores me and I hate how segregated it feels from the rest of the world. I usually have my sims' lives planned out from the moment their born/created in CAS, so if it's in my plan for them to have a degree, I usually just give them one via cheats or have them go to community college.

The Receptacle still lives!
Field Researcher
#25 Old 1st Sep 2015 at 9:34 PM
I can NOT make beautiful houses.
Yes I just made this house and yeah it looks good on the outside and then you step inside, I CAN'T decorate well in sims 2 for some freaking reason.. is it some curse???
Any game I play, I decorate my houses nicely but I really can't do it in sims 2.. Yeah I can put furniture and all but it doesn't feel cozy, and when a house feels cozy, that means you did an excellent job.

I really do not like the style of the houses I've seen except for a few and all the ones I like aren't up for download because the creators 'don't feel like other sims should live in the houses' Not naming anyone though. But yeah.. I suck. And for some reason I'm eating this tasteless pear and I didn't even realize it..
Page 1 of 3