Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Scholar
Original Poster
#27 Old 27th Sep 2015 at 12:21 AM
I plan to add a group of families who are specifically for farming, so far I only have two brothers, but waiting on adding more families until next time I downsize
the hood (which going to take away, foolishly I let them have many kids, one had 7 in total from three different women ).
The ones Ive set up are: royalty/politicians , knights, film, musicians, dancers, artistic/archiecture, military, sports, science, medicine, education/literature (ie teachers, librarian), cuisine, retail business owners and smaller crafty families, plus one farmer family. (this is how their lifestyle is chosen) and now drafting their lots, business and careers.

When I started the hood, I made the mistake of only adding the wealthy families and business families first and waiting on adding the rest until Ive downsized the hood (again). (the more families are: farmers, families who barely have a home, "slaves/brothel ladies", industry workers, supernaturals, relgious etc. I try to have 1-3 families doing a version of each "lifestyle". I.E. Art = museum venue, photography cc career or career object, painter with the eaisler, etc so the families added already have a role. This is become Im tired of getting too many of same kinds, I dont really "need" 10-20 restuarants or painters. ) Some roles are harder to set up, such as knowledge science and medical families (have about four families) I don't want their career/income to be too futuristic.
Advertisement
Scholar
Original Poster
#29 Old 27th Sep 2015 at 10:00 AM Last edited by Florentzina : 27th Sep 2015 at 1:53 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by PlatinumPlumbbob
I am not sure why you want to downsize and add more families, when an alternative method is to allow some existing families to operate a garden. Maybe the Crown needs some more farmers to produce enough food, and the current supply doesn't cut it.
I see that you set up each family with a lifestyle. But what about the family members themselves? Also, having multigenerational households may be better, because the elders may get elderly care and also look after young members in the family, while parents and older siblings and uncles and aunts may go to work.
Having 10-20 restaurant owners and painters may not be such a bad idea, if you set up each family or each family member differently.

Well, it's just a structure I use, based on a chart I created, because when I don't plan out some things, its get out control or overwhelming.

This is already happens to the population, birth wise, which I don't micromanaging (just allow them to have kids at a certain age or when remarrying if their other children are still young, 20 years age difference on siblings are not my cup of tea ). I went from having 40 families to 50-55 this generation and this is with multi-generation families. The grandparents are so far only middle aged (midpoint of adult or 36-45 years old with my age system), the parents are still beginning adults (20-35) and the kids are anything from toddler to young teens (1-14), so I needed to move out the non-heir siblings and their kids to new houses creating even more households to play through, because I don't like/can't play 8+ sized families. I try to maintain the population by killing off the great-grandparents and random sims in different families to merge them, but when next generation goes by, I end up doing the same mistake, and Im not someone who like to kill off the kids, because I like them for genetic reasons.

If I did this with their occupations, it will end up the same, I would have too many working on the same things and every family would feel the same thing. Sure, they can do different things as resturant owners or artists, but it gets boring in long run. During the first version of the hood, I made that mistake. So thats why Im micro-managing their lifestyle.

EDIT: So far there are two families who work as farmers/fishersims with a pond and all together 12 fruit trees and about 24 crops (didn't count the crops, but the greenhouse is typically 6x5 with a road to walk on in the middle.). Not sure how many that would feed though. They are on the lower end of middle class families (starting fund 100K) so I will probably hire some sims to help them when I've created the business lots using the mod joandsarah suggested as Ive many young adults in the hood.
Screenshots
Scholar
Original Poster
#31 Old 27th Sep 2015 at 2:37 PM
So, you can't and don't want to play families with maximum number of Sims (eight), but then this opens room for new members. So, your only option is to induce family planning or limit the number of babies a couple has. Frankly, this is easily done. In the game, it's mostly done by clicks.

Thats the problem... I want to click on the try for baby or use simblender on all female sims (who are suitable age wise and after they got married or cheating )
I try to keep it 1.5 kids per family, but I cant resist giving them more, ending up with 2-4 in average. I don't rely on ACR or risky woohoo for it. I use ACR to micromanage their romantic interaction with other sims only. Like setting ACR on spouse-only and faithful (using the latest acr).

Quote:
I assume you don't do written stories in-game, or if you do, you somehow interpret families with like lifestyles as the same just because they share a lifestyle. Do you record anything in the Sim's bio or family's bio?

I use detailed charts and list about their general characteristics. Looks like something like this:

This is the only things I write down about them plus major storylines like who they are cheating or having affairs with or death plots. Every descendents from the Graham household has a lifestyle related to Nature, but its very loosely based. They can be farmers, teachers, having CC jobs, business owner or whatever, but I don't write it down.
Scholar
Original Poster
#34 Old 27th Sep 2015 at 4:53 PM
Another thing: a careless ruler may allow his city to starve and not care, or he may force his subjects to pick money from the money trees or harvestable plants for no pay. In other words, everything must be given to the lord. Then, a whole community starves to death, because the ruler fails to give a share to the subjects. So, 80% of the farming population may die, leaving 20% to survive the famine, which are mostly children and toddlers and babies, as the game will just take away children away if they are neglected.

When reducing population I prefer to kill of the elder sims (premature aging, their age are random anyways), childbirth or using risks. Like for example, a noble ended up too big so I killed off the husband, pretending he died drowned (who lives on the beach). Because a woman get back their previous status when becoming widowed in my game, I moved her to her grandparents house with the daughters, while the sons lives with the husband's parents. They had six kids and both had grandparents, so rather than playing 9 sims on a lot (excluding the wive's parents), I used this plot to split them up, but also when the heir of a family dies, it remove any chance (or urge ) getting any further children from this household and it became easier to deal with them, 4 sims in the main household (grandparents + 2 grandsons) and 5 in the wive's home (widower + 4 grand daughters the grandparents died recently), The wife were a princess, so that probably wouldnt have happened during the victorian era though.

I don't allow social takers take the kids if the parents dies, so it doesn't matter if their parents dies, they will be moved to a relative instead. Im not a big fan of creating a rebellion just yet and there are technically no peasants in the hood, because I want them to be from newer families later on.
Scholar
Original Poster
#36 Old 27th Sep 2015 at 6:22 PM
Well, I don't want to change their social class because they will be eventually added at a seperate groups, but a few garden here and there wouldnt be a problem, not so sure about 50-100 crops in one single household.
They live on very small lots (less tha 2x3) with 2 floor houses, mainly because Ive a "Bla-ha" computer and recently needed to turn down performance because the graphic keep rebooting and large lots probably would affect that as well. When everything is set up as Ive planned, I will have about 60 2x1-3x3 residental lots and I don't want the majority of them to do farming, the sims need some fun and some "spoky" stuff as well. Before I start playing them more "seriously" (with limited use of cheats), Ive assigned silver-bronze badge in busiess or related to their lifestyle depending on their age group.

EDIT: Errr, this thread is wandering off topic... haha :giggle:
Scholar
Original Poster
#38 Old 27th Sep 2015 at 6:40 PM
I merely suggested the everybody-has-a-garden idea because a single plant may not produce much fruit, but if you increase the quantity of plants, you'd increase the yield. That'd be realistic anyway, because in many agricultural-based societies, farming was the means to survive, not a choice.

I dont use single plants though, they've 6 trees and 15-30 crops each and if the wives of a non-poor family have their own green house, it would add up. Sometimes, it's difficult to aim for realism, so I tends to tweak it. Many 6-8 sim families live on their grandparents pension and teenagers part time job which is about 300 to 800 daily per sim. That isn't realistic either but it helps me with the taxes a while at least (the elders will eventually die, about 2 sim weeks, and the teenagers are not teen for long, one sim week), while finding out non-cheating stragegies to get them enough money to survive (Im don't want my lower class families to become rich). :P
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#40 Old 27th Sep 2015 at 10:34 PM
This thread was about young adults. With a few mods they can do whatever an adult can, plus do college. To me they are an age group just like childhood, not something to be skipped over. Perhaps they might have different goals to adults, be more into going out, parties, studying for the studious, finding a partner, being irresponsible or learning to become responsible and finding out who you are. It's also the best time to struggle and learn to be an adult. Most people when they leave home do not have a great job, that's the age range for lower paying jobs and crummy little flats.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Scholar
Original Poster
#41 Old 27th Sep 2015 at 10:51 PM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
This thread was about young adults. With a few mods they can do whatever an adult can, plus do college. To me they are an age group just like childhood, not something to be skipped over. Perhaps they might have different goals to adults, be more into going out, parties, studying for the studious, finding a partner, being irresponsible or learning to become responsible and finding out who you are. It's also the best time to struggle and learn to be an adult. Most people when they leave home do not have a great job, that's the age range for lower paying jobs and crummy little flats.

Haha, yeah the topic wandering away little (its easy to get carried off when your own game are affected by the topic).
Because they live in the base hood and have using my own tweaks to the gameplay, I don't really treat them like maxi young adults (or real life y.a), because sims mature at late teen in my hood. but that has nothing to do with this thread as a player might want them to earn money whether they are medivial, pre-modern, modern, futuristic, fantasy etc...

I wasn't aware of the owned business thing on how that worked before (and was sceptical messing around it with simblender) so that will become useful when the businesses are set up. Earning money from objects at home are no-brainer but it's so boring, and tutoring is still new to me, so Im going to test it out on a family suitable for it (the current family Im settting up has a pet farm, while their own pets (can't be sold) will help with the money so that family should be doing fine as it is )..
Page 2 of 2