Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 11th Oct 2015 at 7:49 PM
Default Controlling the Downloads
I'm still whittling down my downloads folder. I'd like to shed at least 3 more gigs. I know some of you have a limit that you stick to, but how do you do it? Like my basic required CC folder is measuring 2.75 gigs and that genetics, hacks, food, my must have basics. One of the things a friend suggested to reduce recolors was to get more selective about skin tones so that basically the shame of blond, red, brown and black would be required rather having multiple shades of the same colors, which is my next step once I clean up the mess. But I need more than just a method for hair.

How do you guys decide to pass up something that looks really awesome? Do you have a preset number of recolors for a dress or a blouse? What are you best practices for keeping you game fun, and visually appealing without going nuts in the CC department, particularly for those of you who don't care for the maxis aesthetic?

Check out my simblr https://www.tumblr.com/blog/tbssimblr

Click the link, you know you want to. ;)
Advertisement
Theorist
#2 Old 11th Oct 2015 at 8:09 PM
I do care for the Maxis aesthetic, so I can't help with that. However, something I do is to download freely, but not to put everything in the game straightaway. Instead, I put things in bit by bit, usually thematically. (So this week, I'll put in clothing, next week hairstyles, etc.) This is something of a cooling-off period, and often I don't put things in the game at all. If I can't think of a use for it (f'r instance, if I can't think of a sim to wear the outfit, or a business to use the item), it doesn't get installed.

Once a piece of cc is put in the game, I am ruthless about inspecting it. If it's crunchy, or has gaps, or doesn't have exactly the look I like, or turns out to be in English rather than Simlish, or has some other feature I don't like, out it goes right away. If I haven't used it in a long time (or if I always flip past it in the catalog), then out it goes. I am super picky about what I keep, and I am strict about keeping my files down as much as I can, since I came from a Mac and too much cc meant that you couldn't play at all.

Finally, I use a lot of default replacements rather than custom outfits. They're a smaller file size, and take up less room in the catalog. You can get defaults in just about every style you might like. I'm sure you know about the Default Database, but just in case: http://sims2defaults.dreamwidth.org/

esmeiolanthe's Live Journal and Tumblr
Most recent story update: Fuchs That! on 2/21/15
Scholar
Original Poster
#3 Old 11th Oct 2015 at 8:24 PM
Quote: Originally posted by esmeiolanthe
Once a piece of cc is put in the game, I am ruthless about inspecting it. If it's crunchy, or has gaps, or doesn't have exactly the look I like, or turns out to be in English rather than Simlish, or has some other feature I don't like, out it goes right away. If I haven't used it in a long time (or if I always flip past it in the catalog), then out it goes. I am super picky about what I keep, and I am strict about keeping my files down as much as I can, since I came from a Mac and too much cc meant that you couldn't play at all.

Probably the attitude i need to adopt.
Quote:
Finally, I use a lot of default replacements rather than custom outfits. They're a smaller file size, and take up less room in the catalog. You can get defaults in just about every style you might like. I'm sure you know about the Default Database, but just in case: http://sims2defaults.dreamwidth.org/

I tried default replacements, but ran into enough items that broke my existing downloads that I took them all out. And as far as I understand if they don't break other downloads off the same mesh then they just hide the maxis content so you still end up with long loading times, etc...So basically they didn't seem to do what I hoped they would do.

Scholar
#4 Old 11th Oct 2015 at 8:32 PM
I download EVERYTHING. I shall break my computer... *runs away laughing hysterically*

"Oh look, my grandchild is now an elder. They grow up so fast. Gee, I wonder when I'll finally graduate college." Sims 2
Theorist
#5 Old 11th Oct 2015 at 8:42 PM
Defaults save time flipping through the catalog, and I believe they are slightly smaller files than customs, but it's true that they don't eliminate the Maxis content. It's a solution that works for me because of those two reasons and also because that tends to limit the number of items. If there are only four Maxis items, there will be only four default replacement items rather than a set of fifteen. But not everything that works for me will work for you, so take what you need and toss the rest.

Mad Poster
#6 Old 11th Oct 2015 at 8:50 PM
Earlier I donwloaded everything I liked, but after my CC folder started going past 25 GB I realized I had to calm down a bit on the downloading.

Nowadays I've got a 3-step program for my addiction. The first step is to look at it and see if I think I'm going to use it in the foreseeable future, such as for story pictures. If I think I'll need it or if I like it a lot, I'll download, and put in a folder outside my game. If not, I'll save the link, in case I'll need it later. The next step (because I have my story game on another computer) is to put things I think I'll need in that play session on a USB-stick or harddrive. That sorts out quite a lot. The final step is to put stuff into the Downloads folder, and I'm strict enough with myself to only put in the most neccessary. Which means that the 20-40 new items I downloaded since the last play session have been cut down to maybe 3-5 items. I also try to look through older downloads to see if there's something I haven't used, and remove this.

I also try to sort through colors and such to remove things I know I'm not going to use.

I try to keep my folder under 35 GB, because that seems to be the upper limit of what my computer handles without too many complaints. The plan is to cut it down further, but I never get that far.
Field Researcher
#7 Old 11th Oct 2015 at 8:52 PM
Quote: Originally posted by DizzyBoo
I download EVERYTHING. I shall break my computer... *runs away laughing hysterically*

That's the spirit! Careless CC downloaders unite!
Mad Poster
#9 Old 11th Oct 2015 at 9:04 PM
If there is a swatch in the download folder, get rid of the colours you think you are not going to use (floors, walls, dresses, T-shirts, whatever) - at once. One does not really need 100 pairs of untucked jeans, 50 would probably be enough And are you really going to use the four various black colours of a hair style? And all 305 green poured walls? So you could probably get rid of half of all your stuff if you just get rid of extra colours.

Something that helps me personally : no matter how wonderful something is, I will NOT download it if it is not updated for pets or free time or AL or whatever. No BG baths, showers, sofas, armchairs, beds, mirrors, in my game, nothing. (Oh, I know one can do the updating via SimPE but I am not going to spend my precious playing time on that). Recolors of Maxis stuff are a lot smaller than new meshes.

Strongs
Mad Poster
#10 Old 11th Oct 2015 at 9:40 PM
I get really picky about hairs-in fact, I rarely download any-just did the other day one that was unique and cute enough to bother with; same with clothes..they have to be really good to get my attention, or unique. (of course anything by Sentate will do, and that's why my folder for clothes is so small)..skins are another problem though, because there is one creator in particular that I've grown pretty fond of (Whysim) who makes some really nice defaults and custom skins-I can rarely pass them up.

But: did you know that you can place the recolors of any furniture, curtains, etc outside of the standard download folder? I do and if I don't want the recolors of items, I can just throw it out. Same with floors and walls. They do not have to be in the downloads folder at all. The game runs fine with them out of it.

but I still try to limit my folder to about 3 gigs..and my new computer isn't helping me with this at all..it's got all kinds of space (and memory) for my stuff and I'm filling it up.

I knew there was a drawback to getting a new one..

Receptacle Refugee & Resident Polar Bear
"Get out of my way, young'un, I'm a ninja!"
Grave Matters: The funeral podium is available here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/e6tj...albits.zip/file
My other downloads are here: https://app.mediafire.com/myfiles
Scholar
#11 Old 11th Oct 2015 at 9:49 PM Last edited by Kankritty : 11th Oct 2015 at 10:00 PM.
I am in the process of cleaning up lots of guff installed with houses and removing tests and buggy items
And continuing to install defaults. -.-

-
I only install things if:
1) The creator is known to be making good quality items
2) Low polys!
3) It's from a site I know and like.
4) It's required for a house or something (looks straight at Maxon whose Polgannon crashes on me if cc isn't included)
5) L'oreal. Because it's worth it.

The drop off has been made. You've been warned.
Scholar
#12 Old 11th Oct 2015 at 9:54 PM
I'm obsessed with hair. There is never enough.

"Oh look, my grandchild is now an elder. They grow up so fast. Gee, I wonder when I'll finally graduate college." Sims 2
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#13 Old 11th Oct 2015 at 10:03 PM
Just because you click download does not mean it has to also be installed. I have many, many rar files outside of my game, maybe I will use them at some point or maybe I wont, but I have them in case.

One way I keep my latest Download folder down somewhat is my new game only contains Coral Bay and it's a warm beach hood. So most wintery clothes (of which there are a lot) simply don't make it into that particular game. Remember each Sims 2 folder you make (and you can have multiple- I do) has it's own download folder. My medieval hood is in a separate Sims 2 folder with it's own download folder so only medieval and historical items go into that one. If you stick to a theme this immediately cuts down on what makes it in.
In my old Sims 2 folder I had all kinds of hoods from cave man legacies, winter in some hoods and not in others and items from decorating contests that I hardly used. I had 20 Gigs and 1 hour of loading. This way I keep it to about 10gig per sims 2 folder and about 10 minutes to neighbourhood screen.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Theorist
#14 Old 11th Oct 2015 at 10:44 PM
I have become a 'must absolutely love it and will get some use out it' type of downloader.

Before recently starting a new neighborhood, I went through and got rid of everything that I have not used within the past few months, as well as renamed and compressed everything (that's safe to compress). My DL folder went from more than 13 GB down (65,000+ files) to a little over 6 GB (41,000+ files) and loads from launch to a home lot/apartment in under 5 minutes now (community lot travel is mere seconds)...which is a bonus as well.

My game never crashes, lags or suffers from any of the other horrible issues I see plague some Simmers - I want it to stay that way. I'm also extremely picky regarding polycounts and check everything I download in SimPE (that alone eliminates a lot of CC). Sure, my computer (which is fairly new and well beyond the specs required for the game) can more than handle that 20,000 poly hair or that 10,000 poly piece of clutter, but why do that to my computer, or game performance?

So, I tend to stick with items linked to other items (e.g. Jonesi Bed Blanket), TS3 object conversions, Maxis add-ons and recolors for furniture/objects, Maxis style custom clothing, defaults and/or repository items, and all hairs I use are either the game ones, TS3 to TS2 conversions of game hairs, or older lower poly custom hairs (Nouk, Helga). My polycount max for hair is around 4,000...maybe 5,000 if it's something special.

Basically, I just want to fire up my game and play...not spend a ton of time getting a handle on downloaded content or troubleshooting.

“Seize the time... Live now! Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again.” ― Jean-Luc Picard
Scholar
#15 Old 11th Oct 2015 at 10:50 PM
oh damn...my downloads folder is small

Forum Resident
#16 Old 11th Oct 2015 at 11:18 PM
I am such an addict that it seems I download more than I play (downcast sad face). So, I decided once and for all that I was going to unzip every single file I had and for the last flippin' time, go through downloads and just be happy with what I have!! I unzipped and I have about 40Gb in my downloads folder. I know for a fact that my game plays well with a max of 8.5G, and I have a few rules in place. I use Clean Installer to go through recolors and immediately delete recolors I absolutely don't love. I also, although I like them, don't need 75 colors of rainbow hair, and I don't care if the pet bowl only comes in blue. The hard part is clothes and hair, because the later hairs are absolutely amazing, and one thing that does turn me off in the game is everybody looking the same. Basically, my eyes sparkle at all the cool stuff, but I have to ask myself if I really need all the clutter. I play more than I design, so my aesthetic is a little simpler. I think the thing to do is just keep editing every time you play. Good luck, and once you have your perfect game, copy your lot catalog, downloads, and collection folder in a backup. If you have to reinstall for a reason other than custom content, you will have those folders ready to go!!
Meet Me In My Next Life
#17 Old 11th Oct 2015 at 11:54 PM Last edited by Simonut : 25th Oct 2015 at 2:28 AM.
The "Best" way to control your downloads is really very simple with these "Tips Of The Month" as follow:

1. Always and I do mean always come to MTS or any Sims site wearing a dark pair of blackout glasses.
2. Don't look real hard, remember you are as blind as a bat.
3. Use a key to lock yourself out of the download section.
4. Stay out of WCIF, if you go there you will surely find something you may or may not need. ( use your lockout key there as well )
5. Don't listen to not one thing said or read in the Sims forum about a "great find." Stick a piece of cotton in your ears, and continue to wear your blackout glasses.

Note: You will be very happy using all five tips above, your download folder will lose weight, because " You see, no evil, heard no evil or speak no evil", now you are "free"
at last of all addiction to the lovely habits of as fat as a pig downloads.

"Nothing in life is a Surprise it just happen to come your way at the time".
Lab Assistant
#18 Old 12th Oct 2015 at 12:14 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22

I also try to sort through colors and such to remove things I know I'm not going to use.

I try to keep my folder under 35 GB, because that seems to be the upper limit of what my computer handles without too many complaints. The plan is to cut it down further, but I never get that far.

Oh my I think my computer would blow up What is your loading time on 35 GB ? I had put about 13 GB one time and I could not take the loading time wait to play. Recently, I have been thinking I would introduce the CAS content as I make each new sim for the neighborhood, and try to build from there. Not sure how to work the other cc other than as stated by theme of neighborhood is the only thing I can think of other than weeding out things that I am just not happy with how they look or their color.
Scholar
Original Poster
#19 Old 12th Oct 2015 at 3:14 AM
I know at one point there was a trend of completing the maxis sets, to fill whatever didn't come in the game. Does anyone know where most of that content is? I'd been thinking maybe filling in some of the Maxis sets would allow me to replace some stuff.

Theorist
#20 Old 12th Oct 2015 at 3:32 AM Last edited by esmeiolanthe : 12th Oct 2015 at 3:44 AM.
You can find lots here on MTS. http://modthesims.info/browse.php?f...showType=1&gs=1
MsBarrows in particular did a lot: http://modthesims.info/browse.php?f...wAll=1&u=149634 I believe she did some over at TSR as well, but I can't search there and I'm not paying to do so because that is bogus.
Ailias also did a lot, but as English was/is not their first language, their sets are often labeled as "complete" or "matching" rather than "completer": http://modthesims.info/browse.php?f...owAll=1&u=16333
Looking for "expansion" sets often works well for Build Mode items: http://modthesims.info/browse.php?f...=expansion&gs=1 You will find that many expansion sets are slaved to the original, which means 1) smaller file sizes and 2) fewer recolors needed.

EDIT: If you are wanting things to match, you may also find that picking a palette and sticking with it when you pick recolors helps. Personally, if I want recolors, I download Michelle's AL recolors (and sometimes her LACK recolors, depending on the item) but I never download her MALM recolors because I don't like the MALM colors. You might prefer a selection of iCad's woods, or Shastakiss's Yeti palette, or Pooklet's. For hairs, I like Remi's color palette, and sometimes Simgaroop's. (Their palettes are very popular, so I have lots of creators to choose from when downloading.) I don't care for the naturals sets that Volatile and Flashpowder and Depth Charge and so on come from, and I download things in those palettes very rarely (only if there is no other option for a hair I absolutely need, and only the specific colors that blend with my game). However, I tend to like those unnaturals when combined with other textures/natural shades more to my liking, although I use unnaturals sparingly. This artificial restriction actually gives me greater freedom, because I don't have to dither over whether I want something or not. If it comes in the wrong palette, too bad and I don't need it.

Forum Resident
#21 Old 12th Oct 2015 at 4:12 AM
Controlling your downloads folder?! Dude, I just downloaded 4 gigs of CC! "Control" is not a word in my vocabulary.
Mad Poster
#22 Old 12th Oct 2015 at 5:01 AM
Control downloads? Actually lose gigs? *falls on the floor laughing*
Scholar
Original Poster
#23 Old 12th Oct 2015 at 5:44 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Ather
Controlling your downloads folder?! Dude, I just downloaded 4 gigs of CC! "Control" is not a word in my vocabulary.

Quote:
Control downloads? Actually lose gigs? *falls on the floor laughing*

I used to be like ya'll up to 20gigs CC at one point, but then my computer was like "F' you and your 20 gigs of CC see what you do when you can't play."

Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#24 Old 12th Oct 2015 at 6:03 AM
Yes, my old game didn't like my 20 Gigs either which is why I started a new sims 2 folder. I still have all my old 20 Gigs though.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#25 Old 12th Oct 2015 at 7:09 AM
I never got over 5GB, even with my downloading sprees.
Page 1 of 3