Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Mad Poster
#26 Old 3rd Nov 2015 at 3:17 AM
I found the body and head of the Alice Cooper doll and right now, Alice needs many more plugs. I got near the back of his head and the default hole used in production for structural purposes filled with yarn.

Personal Quote: "I like my men like my sodas: tall boys." (Zevia has both 12 and 16 oz options)

(P.S. I'm about 5' (150cm) in height and easily scared)
Advertisement
Inventor
Original Poster
#27 Old 3rd Nov 2015 at 9:35 AM
Panda did you customise all the dolls in that video? I really like the one with the pink jacket and ginger hair.
Mad Poster
#28 Old 3rd Nov 2015 at 1:47 PM
Nice test. When filming it's a good idea to have a lot of natural light - the easiest way of doing this is of course to film in a well lit room, though you can also buy special light boxes (but yknow, if you have a good light source anyway what's the point?), your third test was brilliant for lighting. Filming in artificial light tends to knock the white balance and give everything a yellowy tinge which doesn't look as professional.

I hope that was useful info for your Chuckimation.

~Your friendly neighborhood ginge
Mad Poster
#29 Old 3rd Nov 2015 at 7:34 PM
Quote: Originally posted by SuperSimoholic
Panda did you customise all the dolls in that video? I really like the one with the pink jacket and ginger hair.

Actually the dolls are from Takaratomy, which I bought when Takara was an individual company and Arklu, for the golden blonde girl in the spring themed dress.

Personal Quote: "I like my men like my sodas: tall boys." (Zevia has both 12 and 16 oz options)

Mad Poster
#30 Old 3rd Nov 2015 at 7:38 PM
Default K
Quote: Originally posted by Bigsimsfan12
Nice test. When filming it's a good idea to have a lot of natural light - the easiest way of doing this is of course to film in a well lit room, though you can also buy special light boxes (but yknow, if you have a good light source anyway what's the point?), your third test was brilliant for lighting. Filming in artificial light tends to knock the white balance and give everything a yellowy tinge which doesn't look as professional.

I hope that was useful info for your Chuckimation.

I have plans to get a light box seeing as the winter months and dark period will ruin any chance to shoot any Chuckimation.

Mad Poster
#31 Old 3rd Nov 2015 at 8:08 PM
Quote: Originally posted by PANDAQUEEN
I have plans to get a light box seeing as the winter months and dark period will ruin any chance to shoot any Chuckimation.

If you're still trying to cut costs PQ, it's a good idea to just film earlier in the day if you can. Good light boxes can be around £25 (>$38) at minimum.

~Your friendly neighborhood ginge
Mad Poster
#32 Old 3rd Nov 2015 at 9:14 PM
I'm fine with getting a light box. I've got right now to work on the story.

Mad Poster
#33 Old 5th Nov 2015 at 2:59 AM
I found Alice and he's no worse for wear. Although his face-up may need to be fixed, he still has his plugs, both of yarn and embroidery thread. In fact, prior to the switch to yarn, embroidery thread was used, but the thread created a Linus van Pelt effect of stringy hair. So I only use embroidery thread at the back of the neck.

Then, he needs clothes. Seeing as Ken is not one for Hard Rock, I may need to rig up something from an associate of mine in doll crafts.

I can always steal the shoes off a male Monster High Doll and I know a good pair: Deuce Gorgon's shoes from Scaris. Currently my only finished doll is wearing them.

Instructor
#34 Old 7th Nov 2015 at 1:09 AM
Quote: Originally posted by SuperSimoholic
Glad to help, Crowkeeper and omg yes! Do it! Make a tutorial and post it here! It'll be super helpful, not just for me but for anyone else who might want to try it.

I just bought some false hair today so I will post the tutorial soon

Visit my Tumblr for more creations http://crowkeeperthesimmer.tumblr.com :)
Scholar
#35 Old 8th Nov 2015 at 8:41 PM

When this photo was taken, these were WIP. Elizabeth still needed a pinafore, and Dusty, a regular shirt with collar.
I can find no finished photo. I'm not sure if I ever took one. The dolls were two of eight, made to be given away.
Instructor
#36 Old 9th Nov 2015 at 2:08 PM
That is so cute Tsyokawe I had no idea that you make dolls

Visit my Tumblr for more creations http://crowkeeperthesimmer.tumblr.com :)
Scholar
#37 Old 9th Nov 2015 at 5:26 PM
Thank you, Crowkeeper. I used to make dolls all the time. I loved the detail work. I'd embroider white on white, or add a crochet trim to a hem...
I'd try to make the clothes be miniatures of actual clothing. That vest on Rusty was lined in a flannel plaid.

With the exception of the faces, the dolls were done with a sewing machine. (Well, the yarn hair was sewn on by hand.)
But the clothes were mostly hand-sewn.

I would give them away to local charities.
A doll can mean everything to a child who has little or nothing of his/her own.
I'd make boy dolls and girl dolls, and I'd make half of them without any sort of objects that could be swallowed. (Rusty's buttons would have been a risk to someone under 4 years old.)

Sometimes I'd make a dozen colourful flattened? dolls that were pocket-sized. They were quick. The only slower part on those was the embroidery.
I didn't know if some of the migrant kids would have room for a regular-sized doll. So just in case,
I would include the smaller dolls that were 4 to 5 inches tall and only about a half inch thick.
Their "clothes" were partly integrated, and partly just sewn on.
Page 2 of 2