Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 2nd Feb 2016 at 10:48 PM
Need help to uncover/discover specific (world) files for creating mods
Hi everyone!

I've literally been searching the internet, TS4 forums, MTS, for 3 hours this evening to be 'sure' (sort of) that there isn't a answer already for these questions. Since I haven't found it I would like to start here because of the talented modders :D. English is no problem (I'm Dutch) but since were going to zoom in on the modding scene (more technical terms, etc), forgive me if something isn't 100% correct english . And also... auto-correct dutch isn't really helpful in this situation

I really would like to change the name of one of the worlds (Windenburg) due to storytelling, i've seen a lot of threads (on TS4 website) about this topic from a year or months ago which indicates it not a very easy or possible task. Names that came by were zerbu, pbox plastic box I think. thread on TS4 about world creating
The nature of these questions in the thread are more for the experienced creators/modders and much more complicating than mine, "just" a name-change.

Does anyone have a clue which files/file/world file, etc that needs editing in order to change the name of a world? Or if it's even possible? Maybe there are so many files that need to be modified or it's not possible to unravel the file due to the complex coding.
I work with the mac version of TS4 and I'm absolutely NOT a modder but lately I've been looking in to these things because they really trigger me. Before TS4 I've always used/worked in Windows (TS3, CAW, etc) so if it's a "necessity" to go back to bootcamp I'll will, I don't know but most of the creators/modders wil probably work in a Windows environment I guess

Question 2, on the side. I also searched long and hard for an answer one this: I've been missing a cemetery lot in my TS4 game.
Where sims come to grief (for instance adding a emotional buff like sadness when visiting the lot, etc) for their loved ones. Creating a custom lot where tombstones/urns don't get deleted/lost/whatever, etc. Same as above, is this possible? Or are the files that need to be modified too complex? I would love to do this myself and learn more about this!!! but would definitely need some assistance since I've just started to look into this direction

Looking forward to see someone's reaction!
Advertisement
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#2 Old 3rd Feb 2016 at 12:55 PM
RE. the latter, have you tried simply plunking your urns on a generic community lot? I have to admit I haven't had any sims die so far in TS4 (I could never understand people who wanted them to live forever in the earlier games; now I'm the same! ) so I have no idea how the urn / gravestone stuff works at all ..

The former is not in the strings as far as I can see, so is probably hardcoded somewhere. Try asking the Maxians?

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

In the kingdom of the blind, do as the Romans do.
Smeg Head
#3 Old 5th Feb 2016 at 7:18 AM
Just as plasticbox suggested, I've had a little cemetery as a generic lot for quite some time now. A mod such a MC Command Centre can be used to protect the deceased residents from being randomly culled. And the only other problem that came up was last March when Maxis messed with certain files that made all the names on tombstones get wiped. (There's no protecting anything in game from those Maxis patch mess ups.) But other than that, it's worked fine as a graveyard. Being a generic lot, it does not get hoards of visitors looking to party. Just the visitors you take there to see their deceased loved ones. As such, you've probably taken them there to mourn a gravestone, which will give them all appropriate buffs and moods once they do.

And with the debug function to summon the ghost from each gravestone, I often have ghost parties there when my main sim visits. Graveyards don't have to be all doom and gloom.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 5th Feb 2016 at 2:14 PM
Quote: Originally posted by plasticbox
RE. the latter, have you tried simply plunking your urns on a generic community lot? I have to admit I haven't had any sims die so far in TS4 (I could never understand people who wanted them to live forever in the earlier games; now I'm the same! ) so I have no idea how the urn / gravestone stuff works at all ..

The former is not in the strings as far as I can see, so is probably hardcoded somewhere. Try asking the Maxians?

Well then you take excellent care of your sims! thanks for the fast reply! Really love all of your mods/CC by the way! HUGE fan
I'm gonna give it another try over there!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 5th Feb 2016 at 2:21 PM
Quote: Originally posted by coolspear1
Just as plasticbox suggested, I've had a little cemetery as a generic lot for quite some time now. A mod such a MC Command Centre can be used to protect the deceased residents from being randomly culled. And the only other problem that came up was last March when Maxis messed with certain files that made all the names on tombstones get wiped. (There's no protecting anything in game from those Maxis patch mess ups.) But other than that, it's worked fine as a graveyard. Being a generic lot, it does not get hoards of visitors looking to party. Just the visitors you take there to see their deceased loved ones. As such, you've probably taken them there to mourn a gravestone, which will give them all appropriate buffs and moods once they do.

And with the debug function to summon the ghost from each gravestone, I often have ghost parties there when my main sim visits. Graveyards don't have to be all doom and gloom.

I totally agree!! They really are the live of the party ... that was bad, I know.
Thanks for the reply, you just clarified why that happend last summer, lost tombstones/urn/ghost etc. I'm gonna give it another try but now with MC command center