Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Empty Martian Colonization Domes - 4 Empty Domes - NO CC

by Zarathustra Posted 9th Feb 2016 at 6:21 PM - Updated 31st May 2016 at 7:08 PM by Zarathustra : Including Link to Tutorial

19 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 8 Feedback Posts, 10 Thanks Posts
Thanks are currently OFF: Show Thanks Posts for this thread
Trainee Moderator
staff: trainee moderator THANKS POST
#2 Old 9th Feb 2016 at 8:11 PM
This is a great set! Thank you!
Mad Poster
THANKS POST
#3 Old 9th Feb 2016 at 8:43 PM
I'm impressed with your domes! There were some attempts in the past to make such things, but never inhabitable. I'm going to assume that of course they are open to rain, and one must build inside to have a roof, of sorts?

That's the real challenge! Great work, too!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#4 Old 9th Feb 2016 at 8:48 PM
Quote: Originally posted by FranH
I'm impressed with your domes! There were some attempts in the past to make such things, but never inhabitable. I'm going to assume that of course they are open to rain, and one must build inside to have a roof, of sorts?

That's the real challenge! Great work, too!

Yes, they are open to the elements unfortunately... even if EAxis had included a transparent floor tile that you could just leave there, that'd still be the case, since CFE'd tiles aren't considered "solid" when it comes to the weather.

Of course, Mars is incredibly cold and dry, so it doesn't exactly have snowstorms or rain showers... you can always set that subhood to perpetual winters and clear skies (which is one of the starting conditions that'll be present if I ever finish that challenge... )

Welcome to the Dark Side...
We lied about having cookies.
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#5 Old 10th Feb 2016 at 2:33 AM
How did you make the dome? I've looked for tutorials but can't find anything. Is it just shaped earth with a transparent floor?
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#6 Old 10th Feb 2016 at 3:45 AM
Quote: Originally posted by HookerHeels
How did you make the dome? I've looked for tutorials but can't find anything. Is it just shaped earth with a transparent floor?

I've actually been working on a tutorial alongside these lots- I'll probably post it sometime tomorrow, and when it's up, I'll put a link into the end of the description of these lots.

Test Subject
#7 Old 10th Feb 2016 at 9:09 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Zarathustra
I've actually been working on a tutorial alongside these lots- I'll probably post it sometime tomorrow, and when it's up, I'll put a link into the end of the description of these lots.

That'd be awesome, thanks!
Instructor
THANKS POST
#8 Old 10th Feb 2016 at 9:37 AM
Your patience must be an amazing part of your character if your creations are any example to judge by. I am continually surprised and just...awed.
Field Researcher
THANKS POST
#9 Old 10th Feb 2016 at 11:58 AM
What an exciting lot! Thanks for sharing, and looking forward to the tutorial!
Constant Contestant
retired moderator THANKS POST
#10 Old 10th Feb 2016 at 11:06 PM
Amazing again, Z! I rather like your landscaped craters too!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#11 Old 11th Feb 2016 at 12:11 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Karen Lorraine
Amazing again, Z! I rather like your landscaped craters too!

Glad you like it- I look forward to seeing what people come up with!

And as far as the craters go, I like them too, which is why I was very disappointed in myself when I realized I'd forgotten to put any terrain paint on the largest craters that the domes are actually sunken into! Once the tutorial gets posted, you'll at least be able to see what it's supposed to look like there- it's a pretty straightforward random painting of the ridges on the outside edges of the domes, same terrain paint as the other craters... easy, but apparently also easy to forget.

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#12 Old 11th Feb 2016 at 1:45 AM
Alright all you aspiring dome-builders! The tutorial for how to build structures like these yourselves is posted now too! You can find it here: www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=572324

Constant Contestant
retired moderator
#13 Old 11th Feb 2016 at 8:00 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Zarathustra
Glad you like it- I look forward to seeing what people come up with!

And as far as the craters go, I like them too, which is why I was very disappointed in myself when I realized I'd forgotten to put any terrain paint on the largest craters that the domes are actually sunken into! Once the tutorial gets posted, you'll at least be able to see what it's supposed to look like there- it's a pretty straightforward random painting of the ridges on the outside edges of the domes, same terrain paint as the other craters... easy, but apparently also easy to forget.
You could always add it and update the file.

Want a specific style of house or community building? Why not take a look at my profile and see what I build and then come ask me to make it!
Field Researcher
#14 Old 11th Feb 2016 at 12:14 PM
Thanks for the tutorial, and I have to agree with Karen Lorraine. ~sly wink~
just a girl
THANKS POST
#15 Old 18th Feb 2016 at 8:31 PM
I really like all your amazing works. Some of them going to my 'hood, currently rising after the apocalypse. Thank you for building and sharing them, Zarathustra.
Mad Poster
THANKS POST
#16 Old 7th Mar 2016 at 8:21 PM
I am going to try to build something interesting with this - what a super idea.
Mad Poster
#17 Old 30th Mar 2018 at 3:08 AM
So even if I replace the dome tiles with transparent tiles, the inside will still be considered to be OUTSIDE. Even with weather set to no winter, wouldn't sims still overheat? So would HAVE to make rooms with roofs..?

Stand up, speak out. Just not to me..
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#18 Old 30th Mar 2018 at 4:11 AM
Quote: Originally posted by grammapat
So even if I replace the dome tiles with transparent tiles, the inside will still be considered to be OUTSIDE. Even with weather set to no winter, wouldn't sims still overheat? So would HAVE to make rooms with roofs..?

Yes, it'll still be outside (plus replacing the tiles would end up being a lot more difficult than normal, since they're CFE'd and don't tend to play nicely with changes), but what you COULD do (if you have invisible tiles) would be to floor the entire first level (below the dummy wall that the dome rests on) with those tiles, so that there would be a "roof" for game purposes, and change the greenhouse door to a wall and normal door. It'd mess up the lighting, but it would make the interior of the dome "indoors" by game standards.

Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#19 Old 11th May 2020 at 11:48 AM
Thanks I love this four, will come handy for farming in the hood and creating new lots
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#20 Old 24th Nov 2023 at 9:29 AM
This is great! Thanks ;-)