Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
#51 Old 20th Feb 2016 at 7:41 AM
About half of my current population are classified as Sub-Saturnians, descendants of former disciples of the Recent Order of Saturnius. Now, when I create a new disciple in CAS, I randomise everything - skin tone, face template, facial feature templates and sliders (one in each set is maximised and another minimised). They all look at least a bit weird, and some of them downright freakish. And their genes are trickling down through the generations creating some seriously distinctive sims. Ahh, bliss!
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#52 Old 21st Feb 2016 at 3:37 AM
I really don't care what you do with your pixel people but references to 'homosexual' couples and feeling any type of way about playing those couples is messed up. Not cool.
Instructor
#53 Old 21st Feb 2016 at 4:19 AM
I don't mistreat them but you know, they are not my popular Sims and just like the real world ugly Sims have to work harder to be popular, some get saved with plastic surgery, other's focus on being successful and the rest might get lucky with an average looking sim.. Some of the premades have rough genetics and I will try plastic surgery to soften them i just don't need generations of pointy chins and caved in cheeks. No thanks.

Peace, Harmony & Balance... Libra is Love..
Scholar
Original Poster
#54 Old 21st Feb 2016 at 10:41 AM Last edited by Florentzina : 21st Feb 2016 at 10:55 AM.
Kayee
That was only examples of things simmers may or may NOT like to add to the game, due to personal preference. Just as there are people who hate hating second cousins marriage, supernaturals or dont care if an elder hook up with a young adult or whatever. Having preferences on a sims appearance is the same thing, at least to me, thats why I added it as an example.

But that doesnt mean they are always based on real life beliefs. I respect homosexuality in real life, but that doesnt mean I *have to* play dozen of them in the game or watch homosexual movies, you know? What so messed up to have gameplay preferences?

EDIT: I edited the main post and clarify that (for future readers) because I don't expect people to read the entire thread.
Theorist
#55 Old 21st Feb 2016 at 12:25 PM
@Florentzina: I've read the entire thread. I like its new title better.
Like Justpetro said "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" and it's a quote I also used IRL.
All sims are played regardless of their look. As a generational player I like to see how genetic traits are handed.

I used to dislike that sim as a toddler but he grew up into his face.
Test Subject
#56 Old 22nd Feb 2016 at 2:34 AM
I guess I'll come in and be the bad guy in this thread, but I really don't see what's so wrong with using the Plastic Surgery feature.

The sims that OP posted don't even look that bad, but I would probably click on my Sim Blender and move that lady's mouth up a notch or two. Some people are acting like it would be morally wrong to do that. Why?

The fact is that sometimes sim genetics get weird. Especially once you deviate outside of the standard face templates. The hood my wife and I play now is all created sims and game generated townies (with default replacements.)

Kids get weird. We had one family where all the kids noses were mashed into their faces. It didn't get any better as they aged up, lol. So I gave em all nose jobs when they graduated college. They thanked me for it, trust me! LOL! Is that "mistreating" them? It's not their fault the game calculated their faces that way. I mean, it's all just ones and zeros, ya know?

It's like when sims age up, and they spin into the worst possible outfit you can imagine (because they always do.) Is it morally wrong to go to the closet and put them in some decent clothes? Do we have to say, "No! This person must wear plaid shorts and a tuxedo shirt forever! The Maxis Gods have spoken!"
Scholar
#57 Old 22nd Feb 2016 at 4:23 AM
I tend to avoid calling people or sims ugly based on their looks. What we find attractive is a rather arbitrary combination of what society says is beautiful and our own personal experiences. Are there people with faces more pleasing to look at? Yes. But their appearance has no bearing any reality of how valuable they are as person, what type of life they should have and what abilities, skills and talents they have.

So the short answer is no I don't treat my sims any differently based on their looks. My Simlandia exists in a parallel world with very different values than our own.

Check out my simblr https://www.tumblr.com/blog/tbssimblr

Click the link, you know you want to. ;)
Field Researcher
#58 Old 22nd Feb 2016 at 1:19 PM Last edited by RedSimmies : 24th Feb 2016 at 4:51 PM.
For me it's a mix. Prettiness doesn't affect the way I treat them too much, personality is much more entertaining. Yet, there are particular features I find especially pleasing, and if a sim has them, they're more likely to be a favorite. Because I don't think that physical beauty is worthless or shallow or bad in any way, it's definitely an asset worth admiring. People tend to look down on beauty because some are born with it, but some are born a natural genius and no one looks down on that, which I find weird.

Anyway lol. When I do come across a sim that I find really good looking and interesting at the same time, they're more entertaining than the ugly interesting ones, but that's really rare. Because for me to call one of my sims especially attractive, they have to be something really special (of course that'll be subjective, though, what I call special might seem too quirky or over-the-top to other people). Part of the fun with these strikingly attractive sims is that I tend to picture them as vain, and that vanity itself is entertaining/endearing, especially if, like one of my popularity sim favorites, he keeps primping in the mirror and changes his clothes hundred times a day to show off to his beloved, beloved friend (that he may or may not have a secret crush on, the pink heart keeps disappearing and appearing).
Meet Me In My Next Life
#59 Old 23rd Feb 2016 at 2:21 AM
Poor Sims, I am sorry some simmers may or may not treat an ugly Sims with the same equal as a good looking Sims. It's kind of a bit sad we ( not all of us players) bring those prejudice things from our "real" world into our Sims world.

"Nothing in life is a Surprise it just happen to come your way at the time".
Forum Resident
#60 Old 23rd Feb 2016 at 12:58 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Simonut
Poor Sims, I am sorry some simmers may or may not treat an ugly Sims with the same equal as a good looking Sims. It's kind of a bit sad we ( not all of us players) bring those prejudice things from our "real" world into our Sims world.

That's precisely what I love about sims. No prejudice. No beauty standards. Nobody cares what you look like and will treat you precisely the same no matter your gender, skin colour, body type or facial features. Hell, you could even walk around wearing a clown hat and nobody would even raise an eyebrow. :D

I am Error.
Alchemist
#61 Old 23rd Feb 2016 at 2:00 PM Last edited by omglo : 23rd Feb 2016 at 2:15 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Florentzina
Kayee
That was only examples of things simmers may or may NOT like to add to the game, due to personal preference. Just as there are people who hate hating second cousins marriage, supernaturals or dont care if an elder hook up with a young adult or whatever. Having preferences on a sims appearance is the same thing, at least to me, thats why I added it as an example.

But that doesnt mean they are always based on real life beliefs. I respect homosexuality in real life, but that doesnt mean I *have to* play dozen of them in the game or watch homosexual movies, you know? What so messed up to have gameplay preferences?

EDIT: I edited the main post and clarify that (for future readers) because I don't expect people to read the entire thread.
There's nothing wrong with having gameplay preferences. But it doesn't hurt to be aware that talking about excluding certain traits from your fictional society that some people have tried/ are trying to erase in real life can cause discomfort in a way that talking about your servo-free game will not.

I don't mind what my Sims look like unless they're deformed in a way that only a Sim can be, like an alien hybrid with a lower half of a face that looks like it's collapsed in on itself - large eyes, but no nose or lips.
Meet Me In My Next Life
#62 Old 24th Feb 2016 at 1:10 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Kligma
That's precisely what I love about sims. No prejudice. No beauty standards. Nobody cares what you look like and will treat you precisely the same no matter your gender, skin colour, body type or facial features. Hell, you could even walk around wearing a clown hat and nobody would even raise an eyebrow. :D

Yes I agree, in the Sims world they have no prejudice, a Sims can have pointed ears, a face that look like "Frankenstein" or a face of a beauty queen.
The Sims just don't care, it goes back to the age old saying "Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder."

"Nothing in life is a Surprise it just happen to come your way at the time".
Top Secret Researcher
#63 Old 24th Feb 2016 at 1:25 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Kligma

So true. I love that too about the game. The only way you can get slightly different treatment is due to reputation (and heck, there are mods to squish that I'm sure!). Pretty sure I had some Sims go to work stark naked a few times on my old game/old PC (glitch), and even brought a friend home, stood on the lawn and chatted... no one batted an eyelash. Heck, it's even happened in Sims 3 to me too!
Forum Resident
#64 Old 24th Feb 2016 at 3:33 PM
I had a beautiful set of default replacement templates in made by a very talented creator at one point, and after restarting my hood, I never put it back in. Every. Single. Sim was beautiful - like, drop dead gorgeous OMG beautiful. It was boring.

I have kept one set of townies in my game - I believe they're the downtown townies, and I kept them because while I've made my own face template sets that are based on the variety of characteristics that I find attractive in different human racial categories, they are still not as varied - in the 27 templates, as real people are. Keeping the townies adds a flavour of unpredictability, and introduces features that wouldn't otherwise be able to occur in my templates. Sometimes I hate the noses, or the super wide mouths and when I see something like that, I'll correct it - but only a little. Only to bring it into what I see as realistic proportions. After that, it's anyone's game.
Field Researcher
#65 Old 24th Feb 2016 at 3:58 PM
I've played (and intermarried) my sims in my hood enough now that there tends to be a sameness in their appearances (not all, of course, but a plurality) that does tend to drift, albeit unconsciously, towards my somatic norm image (and I think most players do the same, even if they don't admit it). That said, I don't purposely discriminate against "ugly" sims - in fact, some "ugly" but interesting sims have spread their pixel genes far and wide
Top Secret Researcher
#67 Old 29th Feb 2016 at 9:09 AM
I don't treat less-than-handsome Sims any differently (apart from killing some off, not letting them breed, or getting some cosmetic surgery, and that happens with better-looking Sims anyway). They all have equal opportunities. I do prefer playing with my better-looking Sims, and if I think they are beautiful I want to breed them to create another equally-beautiful Sim (doesn't always work).
Test Subject
#68 Old 1st Mar 2016 at 6:01 AM
I want my sims to look beautiful to me. I like them to look a bit odd, unique, weird, what ever you name it, but I want them to look pretty to me, anyway, and most of them do. I don't really care if they have weird features, that mostly makes them look interesting and unique in my eyes and that's all good. It would be boring to have the sims look all same.
I don't really play much with any of the ''original'' base game families, and if I ever have a townie moving in, plastic surgery is on place. But not too much.
But I don't feel like ''punishing'' or mistreating any of those ugly ones. If they have nothing to do with my story or gameplay, they can stick to their looks for all I care.

In real life, I don't care what people look like. Each person is just as important and valuable than the next one!
Link Ninja
#69 Old 1st Mar 2016 at 7:11 PM
A majority of my sims at this point are in game born, and they have really good genetics through a few years of face template swaps, custom skins and eyes, etc. So I am not sure at this time, but would imagine that I would be more apt to play aesthetically pleasing sims more than unappealing ones. I figure this, because once I got that gussy up mod I went to TOWN sprucing up the faces of the townies, downtownies, dormies, etc.

I had never felt interested in even letting my custom sims interact with them before gussy up came along and now they party together!

Uh oh! My social bar is low - that's why I posted today.

Forum Resident
#70 Old 25th Mar 2016 at 9:03 PM
I came to think about this topic a few days ago, when a sim of mine called Ilo moved with his elderly husband to my "oldie-collective" and I decided that it was time for him to get a make-over. I liked him before, but somehow found him slightly annoying. And there was something slightly annoying - I've got no idea what, though - about the way he looked, too. I might've found him looking annoying because I thought he was, or I thought he was annoying because he looked it, I don't know. Anyhow, not so much after he'd moved and I'd changed his clothes and hairstyle.
Now, there could be various factors contributing to this other than his new looks making my view on him change: the new environment and/or the new people he met could have affected him and brought out new sides of him for me to see, perhaps a combination of all three. The only thing I know for sure is that since then he's been one of the most charming and symphatethic sims around.
I'll have to add though, that the part his new looks played in this wasn't so much "he looks better so I like him better", although I did realize how pretty his face was without the hair obscuring it, but rather that somehow, I find his face more open and symphathetic-looking now.

Anyhow, this is him, before and after

I am Error.
Theorist
#71 Old 25th Mar 2016 at 10:46 PM
For me, some of the coolest Sims may be "ugly" because they have personality. How many plastic dolls with matching lipstick and nice hair can you have in a neighborhood. It gets old, fast. I prefer ones who are interesting and often try to make them look a bit odd compared to traditional beauty standards. Some of my favorite sims over the years, in both Sims 2 and 3 (don't own 4) are ones society may shun--"overweight ladies." I also find myself making older Sims and trying to give them a life not just make them "retired" or "babysitters" for family members. The real world is very much reflected in my various Sims neighborhoods and that includes "ugly people," "fat people," "minorities," "same sex couples," and "old folks." The only people I don't play are supernaturals because I hate that who genre of the game--no werewolves, vampires, plant sims or whatever. I may play a witch this time in Sims 2 (haven't ever done it) because that may have some merit.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers
Scholar
#72 Old 25th Mar 2016 at 11:16 PM Last edited by BoilingOil : 26th Mar 2016 at 2:25 AM.
Looks isn't that important: a touch of makeup, the right hair style and well-chosen attire can make every sim a pleasure to behold. Personality means a lot more to me. Some traits do not attract me much, while others are almost addictive. Aspiration makes a difference. I like Knowledge and Romance best, Popularity and Pleasure least. With Fortune sims it depends; are they more about *making* money, or about *spending* it? The former gets boring after a while, the latter ends up unhappy because they don't make enough money to buy all that they want. Very few strike the right balance.
Some Family sims are fun to play, but with their fears of abductions and the supernatural, they *do* tend to make playing Knowledge sims a lot harder.

I'm not very patient with Toddlers and Children, but I have my adults breed quite frequently. Most couples will easily spawn a dozen kids.
Scholar
#73 Old 25th Mar 2016 at 11:40 PM
In one of my current Strangetowns (3rd Iteration), the former Nervous (now renamed Logan Subject) finally met the woman of his dreams and had two kids with her. She's a pretty sim I'd created and has lovely cc skintone from a downloaded sim called "Polina" back in the olden days of the EA sims2 site. Forgot the creator-- but her/his sims were lovely.
So... they both popped out looking exactly like Nervous before he had plastic surgery ! Wtf ?
I fixed both kids using the simblender--- but found it interesting "Logan" Subject has such strong genetics.

Btw, Happy Easter weekend everyone ! *Goes back to simming*

" Inama Nushif "
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#74 Old 26th Mar 2016 at 12:14 AM
@Tleilaxu3 Plastic surgery is just that, plastic surgery. If you get a nose job in real life you don't pass that nose job onto your kids, but your real nose.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#75 Old 26th Mar 2016 at 1:25 AM
I like them all - the personalities are all fine with me; and although knowledge is my favourite aspiration, I use all of them except grilled cheese (because in the end they all get knowledge as a second aspiration ) - the mix of personalities makes the game interesting to me. I do not really care a lot about their looks - in fact, I am quite keen on marrying them off to townies. Yet I love some of the features some Sims have - though it does not really interfere with me liking all of them. Once you have raised a Sim since he was born, they tend to become better looking along the way (you know, when you meet a person who is ugly - get to know him - and 2 months later, you look at him and think: How could I ever thought that he was ugly?)

Started with twelve Sims in my military hood, one for each star sign (their are a next generation now and new recruits too) - and only one of my knowledge Sims was fired - due to being too lazy to do anything She did, however, succeeded in marrying one of the neatest knowledge males, who automatically cleans the house as soon as he gets home from work (match made in heaven?). The fortune Sims happily train other Sims using the military career award; the knowledge Sims happily study (because as long as they can achieve skill points, you can make them do anything); the family Sims get a bit restless (because they are only allowed to marry after 7 days in the military) - but they make excellent spouses for knowledge Sims. The romance Sims fit in quite well in the military - even though work starts early, they have a lot of time off to go about looking for victims, er... I mean, romance. The pleasure Sims happily run over that obstacle course for hours on end and then take bubble baths and jump on the sofass, although the lazier ones may sit down sooner
Page 3 of 4