Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 14th Mar 2016 at 6:17 PM
MODL vs MLOD
Can someone explain the relationship between the MODL and MLOD? I always thought that MODL is the most detailed mesh and used in-game when the camera is really close, with successively lower poly MLODs being loaded as the camera zooms out further and less detail is needed. But EA's paintingMission has a higher detail/poly MLOD than MODL. How does this work in-game? If I want to edit the mesh, which one should be modified?

Thanks!
Advertisement
Virtual gardener
staff: administrator
#2 Old 14th Mar 2016 at 9:21 PM
As far as I can think of is that the MODL holds the shadow and texture settings. But I agree with you, it's really confusing. It seems that the MODL also holds the mesh without the shadow map mesh. But I would always modify the MLOD since they hold the actual mesh, the shadow mesh and the LOD.
Instructor
Original Poster
#3 Old 14th Mar 2016 at 11:09 PM
Thanks for the explanation--that was very helpful! Once you're done editing the MLOD mesh, is it necessary to import it into the MODL as well so that the two "match"? Or does it not matter because the MODL mesh is never used by the game? (Then why is it there?)
Virtual gardener
staff: administrator
#4 Old 15th Mar 2016 at 3:39 PM
It's there because it holds the 'textures and shadows' setting. (With shadows I mean the one you can select in TSRW in the mesh tab)
About replacing it? Hmm... I'm not sure but I guess if you wouldn't give it an extreme change, it doesn't really matter. With extreme, I mean say your mesh is a round figure but your own mesh is like, a chair. The shadow wouldn't really change much into a chair. So I guess the best thing you could do is import it into TSRW or any other program and actually edit it from there.
Instructor
Original Poster
#5 Old 15th Mar 2016 at 10:27 PM
Ah, I get it now--if the changes are small, the MODL can be left alone. Thanks!