Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 30th Apr 2016 at 5:48 PM
Default Mod that allows for more advanced lock options?
I feel like the lock options on doors is too slim, and I was wondering if there was a mod that expanded that - for instance, multiple family members are allowed in a room, while some are not (useful for keeping kids out of the master bedroom, or parents out of a shared childrens' bedroom.) I've looked around a little bit, but can't seem to find anything.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 30th Apr 2016 at 6:40 PM
What I can think of are Color Key System or 4-key locking from Simlogical
Forum Resident
#3 Old 30th Apr 2016 at 7:03 PM Last edited by natboopsie : 1st May 2016 at 2:21 PM.
Right, as Annaminna said, Inge has those door systems (the first has a set of colored keys and a special door that must be used; the second just has a special door) and they are pretty straightforward. The Color-Key System will work in my current game (the UC), and I remember that the 4-key locking worked great in my NL+OFB game. In fact, I used the latter on community lots too, to restrict certain rooms from townies---since it's just a clickable menu and doesn't require Buy Mode access, you can just click on it to lock it when your sim arrives on a community lot where it's installed.

Inge also has "targetable" doors which work fine in my UC game and also worked in my NL+OFB game. You'll find them in the same sections as those other two door types, I think.

Where her 4-key doors work for sims you name (or everyone or no one) and her Color Key doors work only for sims that have those colors of keys in their inventory (you choose the key color by putting a key of that color in the room beforehand...so only useful on lots where you usually have access to Buy Mode, and only if your sims have inventories), the targetable doors can restrict by visitor status and/or age group, so you can ban all toddlers from entering a bathroom (but they still can be carried in for baths and leave by themselves after a bath if needed) and you can ban all teens and children and toddlers from a bedroom (say, a parent's bedroom).

I think there may be some issues with using some or all of Inge's doors diagonally---meaning that they don't always restrict access right or at all on the diagonal.

Another option is Pescado's Authorized Personnel Only. It's a hacked object that looks like a burglar alarm. And it's totally impressive in the sheer number of configurations that are possible. You can restrict only entry, only exit, only autonomous movement into/out of/within the room, restrict by age, restrict by whether a sim is carrying anything, restrict by how many total sims the room can hold, from 1 to unlimited (great for bathrooms with stalky three-bolt couples or with cheap plumbing where you don't want people flushing the toilet when someone is in the shower; once the room is at capacity, no other sims will try to enter the door)...and so much more. It also locks down the ENTIRE lot when a burglar is detected, so you can also remove all regular burglar alarms once you have one. Burglars just can't get in.

That one is my go-to device, if only because I dislike shooing-caused jams in my bathrooms and also like that it can be used to stop sims from taking dishes and coffee cups to a bathroom sink (by restricting "carriers"). I also like that it requires no special door, so my rooms can keep their usual doors. Pescado lists it as working for up to Seasons, but I have no trouble with it at all with my UC game. Never tried it with another configuration.

The APO thingy is set to be expensive ($1500), which for me is a rare reason to use kaching (to give "manufacturer's rebates" on multiple purchases for a household or for lower-income households), or if you're less lazy about it than I am, you can change the price in SimPE.

Inge does also have a security system on her site that works somewhat like the Pescado APO. It uses something that looks like a smoke alarm in every room you need secured, and then you need either a global patch she has or yet another special door, different from her other three already mentioned. That special door does NOT work with the UC (it forces changing to outerwear when sims pass it), but I didn't try the global patch.

When it comes down to it, the two most comparable are probably Inge's targetable doors and Pescado's APO. I have found the APO capable of far more and without requiring annoying door replacement (did I mention that all Inge's special doors have to be placed facing the correct way, with the arrow pointing into the room to work?), but its in-game price (or just the fact of installing an object made by Pescado, lol) may not be worth it to you.

Editing to add: Almost forgot, the APO will also allow you to grant access by name, under "Set Override." Inge's security system only (out of all the options from her that've been mentioned in this thread) will allow this too. So with either you can ban by category and then allow by name, so ban all adults except Tom or Kate and ban all teens except Jane, plus ban all toddlers, for example.

Finally, there are also the Smartdoors here on MTS by tunaisafish. They only work perfectly through Nightlife. They are crippled starting with OFB (using the clothes-changing functions will cause your sim to reset and the door to fail). But even in my NL+OFB game I really liked them (just had to remember never to click the clothes-changing menus). I'll have to direct you to read about them because I don't remember all the features now. I do remember they were very useful when they worked with my game config; since the UC is so many expansion packs past NL, I've never dared to try using those Smartdoors in my UC game.

Editing once again to add information: remember to Lock the room on the APO once you have programmed it, so the settings will actually take effect. This is true of some of the Inge doors, too; if they have the option to Lock, then you need to use it if you've given the door any settings.
With the APO, the option to Lock appears on its menu once you have set it to Deny at least 1 group. And if you Deny some group, set Lock, and then clear the Deny (by now setting "Allow" on that group), further settings are still enforced. So that's how to get it to enforce a Maximum Occupancy, which has its own menu, apart from the Deny menu. I do that in certain bathrooms; no one's Denied by group, but still only 1 of any sim is allowed.
Scholar
#4 Old 1st May 2016 at 11:32 AM
@natboopsie I wasn't aware of the APO option. Would this help in the scenario of wanting to keep toddlers in their own rooms, or at least confined to the house? I really would like to stop finding my toddlers out in the middle of the cow field trying to find dad, but I guess the doors confuse me.

"It is easier to fool people than to convince them they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
Truth will not fear scrutiny.
Forum Resident
#5 Old 1st May 2016 at 1:59 PM Last edited by natboopsie : 2nd May 2016 at 4:05 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by Snufflepaws
@natboopsie I wasn't aware of the APO option. Would this help in the scenario of wanting to keep toddlers in their own rooms, or at least confined to the house? I really would like to stop finding my toddlers out in the middle of the cow field trying to find dad, but I guess the doors confuse me.

Ah! I've tried allowing totally free-roaming toddlers too, but I don't like it when they get outside on their own either. Especially in weather, which really makes me worry about them, just reflexively.

So yes, Snufflepaws, I can vouch that the APO absolutely works to keep toddlers inside, or in their own room, whichever you prefer. However, note that it would have to be placed at an indoor point, because it can't be used to lock off the lot's outdoors otherwise. (That is, you can't place it on an outdoor wall and set "Deny Toddlers." Won't work.) There are several ways you could place and set it to get it to work as you wish:
  • Confining to house, option 1: if the house has a foyer then that's the easiest way to give your toddlers maximum access to most everywhere inside, but inside only. Place the APO inside the foyer and "Deny" toddlers. They can't get in the foyer, so they can't go out the house door. (If there are two entrances and one foyer each, you need one APO unit each.)
  • Confining to house, option 2: If the house doesn't have foyers, you can simply Deny toddlers in any room that also has outside exits. Only a problem if that's a room you sometimes want the toddler to wander into, so in that case you could try editing that room as in option 3...
  • Confining to house, option 3: Add a foyer to the house (I've sometimes placed a wall and a door a few squares back from the front door to make one). Place and set APO as in confining to house, option 1. (Make similarly sure the toddler can't get out the back way either.)
  • Confining to nursery, option 1: Place the APO immediately outside the nursery and Deny toddlers. They will be halted before quite reaching the door to the nursery.
  • Confining to nursery, option 2: (Edited for clarity) Place the APO inside the nursery and Deny Exit, then Set Override for everyone in the house you do want able to leave the nursery---probably everyone but the toddler. You will also need to set any nanny by name as an override, as well as any guests you want to allow to visit and then leave the nursery. (If you don't want guests to visit the nursery, nor the toddler to leave, you'd set Deny Visitors and then further proceed as I just mentioned, setting also Deny Exit and then setting overrides for all non-toddler household members.) This seems complicated to me too, so I would only use it if I wanted to stop some group (maybe children because you only want the toddler to play with the dollhouse for now? or visitors, as mentioned?) from getting in the nursery at all, as well as the toddler from getting out.

For some of those ideas (any that just Deny Toddlers without any other specifications required), I must admit that I've used Inge's targetable door instead; it's cheaper and if I only want it to do one thing and the door in question isn't on a diagonal, then it's sufficient.

Note that the APO can only lock actual doors, not arches or fence gates. So, if a toddler also has access to a restricted area through an arch or fence gate, they'll just go through the arch or gate and ignore the door that is newly locked to them. So any of those would also have to be changed to doors for APO to be effective. Again, part of the beauty to me of APO is that any door works fine, just as long as it's a door.

Speaking of arches and gates, some people prefer to use baby gates. Honeywell has one that is meant to be placed together with an arch. Or Phaenoh made a baby gate in this set (despite compatibility confusion, my understanding is that the gate still works fine with all expansions, just not her dressers) that is a fence gate. I've not used either; I am pretty happy with just using the APO and before was happy using special doors. But I hear good things about both.

Further note 1: everything I mention above (the APO, all of Inge's doors, and the baby gates) will allow toddlers to be carried through them, just not to locomote through on their own. So a toddler could still be carried through a restricted area to be placed on an outside Bouncy Bork and then taken back in to the potty, for example.

Further note 2: Obviously, the Inge doors don't have the regular Maxis OFB or Pets or AL locking menus, just their own. But because the APO works with normal doors, you can use the normal Maxis locking functions on doors into the room and they will additionally be respected. So for example, even though the APO cannot disallow roommates by category (nor can Inge's doors), you can just disallow roommates the usual way, by setting it on all doors leading into the room to be locked. So for example, roommates could be forbidden from entering a nursery (by the door's normal Maxis locking, which you would set the usual Maxis way) while toddlers are stopped from leaving that nursery (by setting the APO in the room as in my description for "confined to nursery, option 2").
Scholar
#6 Old 1st May 2016 at 11:33 PM
Thank you! This method sounds like a godsend. It's been one of my few remaining problems that (until now) mods haven't helped with. I did just download BOs child mod, which stops toddlers following mum or dad unless their social is low, but I still had the problem of my toddler going outside to cuddle the cat!

I'll fiddle around with the APO. I already had before your reply but I must have been doing it wrong. I placed one in the landing outside the nursery and denied toddlers but it only stopped the tot going *in to* the nursery. I didn't place it right beside the door as you said though. In any case, this thing does have a lot of configurations which should come in mighty handy for other things.

"It is easier to fool people than to convince them they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
Forum Resident
#7 Old 2nd May 2016 at 4:20 AM
Thank you! This method sounds like a godsend. It's been one of my few remaining problems that (until now) mods haven't helped with. I did just download BOs child mod, which stops toddlers following mum or dad unless their social is low, but I still had the problem of my toddler going outside to cuddle the cat!

I'll fiddle around with the APO. I already had before your reply but I must have been doing it wrong. I placed one in the landing outside the nursery and denied toddlers but it only stopped the tot going *in to* the nursery. I didn't place it right beside the door as you said though. In any case, this thing does have a lot of configurations which should come in mighty handy for other things.

Ah, yes, I love that mod by BO also. The No-Follow version of his Less Toddler Annoyance , right? I think it works as advertised and neatly curbs one big reason toddlers wander. And as usual, there's other BO goodness that makes logical sense.

I certainly have found the APO to be a godsend; as you say, it's got so many options! I love its versatility.

In the beginning, I noticed too that I would have trouble getting it to work. In every case, though, I realized that I wasn't programming or placing it correctly. Sort of like Pescado himself comes across, the item is rigid about what it tolerates. But once you learn what it expects when you program and place it, it works just like I think you want it to. I've not been disappointed since I got the hang of it.

With your mention of a landing, I'm thinking that that's likely the problem. The area that the APO finds itself in must be a lockable space, and the only things it can lock are doors. If the walls around that space don't all meet or there is a path (stairs!) to the next floor that can't be locked off in the way it knows (that is, using doors), then it will not work properly. This is almost always true of a typical landing.

So I'm sorry that I didn't consider that your sim family's house might not fit the picture in my head! That was shortsighted of me. But it's easy to get around. Sounds like in this family you'd be happy for the toddler to just stay within the nursery, so as long as the nursery has only doors leading out (no wall gaps, no arches, no fences in place of walls; diagonal walls are not a problem as long they all meet), then you are all set---just use my "confined to nursery, option 2" parameters above, placing the APO inside the nursery this time.

I have made landings work as lockable spaces, but they must only be accessible through doors---in other words, you'd have to remodel so that you get to or from the stairs on that level by coming through a set of doors, placed into full walls rather than fences. Depending on how large a landing it is and its proportions, that may or may not be feasible.

But let me know if you're still having trouble, with this setup or with the APO in any other setting. I've come to enjoy solving the little logic puzzles that unique layouts can present when APO use is wanted, so if you'd like me to, I'm even happy to take a look at a floorplan to see how I might help. (And I'm going to make that an open invitation: anyone else who wants to start using the APO but can't figure out why it's not quite working, feel free to post a screenshot of your floorplan and I'll see what I can offer.)
Scholar
#8 Old 2nd May 2016 at 9:04 AM
The stair thing would definitely explain it. I'm sure I'll have no problems now I know that. The house in question is the Maxis lot called Family Farmhouse, so take a look at the landing if you're curious. I made the bottom left room of the top floor (viewed from the front) the nursery.

The APO sounds awesome, but regardless, I really wish Maxis added Lock... Disallow toddlers to (at least) the front doors. It's only logical.

Forum Resident
#9 Old 2nd May 2016 at 1:43 PM
I love that house! One of Maxis' best, I feel.

Yes, I bet the stairs is all it is then. And if you wanted to, looks like that side of the landing would be simple to close off from the stairs using walls. Wouldn't leave a big circulation place at the top of the stairs, considering the bath and one bedroom enter there too, but likely sufficient for most situations. And then the APO would work as you originally placed it.
Scholar
#10 Old 3rd May 2016 at 4:24 AM
I got it to work, yay! Did anyone make an invisible recolour of this, per chance? Not a big deal but it does look a little out of place in the nursery. I suppose it wouldn't take long to make myself. Being square, you may even be able to make it look like a picture frame.

I can tell I'm going to have fun with this thing and all it's configs.

Lab Assistant
#11 Old 3rd May 2016 at 9:10 AM Last edited by elly87 : 3rd May 2016 at 10:31 AM.
Thank you for this tread, I would need an advice. I would like to built two houses on one residential lot and transfer there two families: my idea is to play them at the same time, so they can interact, but I would like that the members of one family do not enter the house of the other one (unless there is a special occasion or I decide they spend time together). In this way I could pretend that any family recognises its home and, for exaple, when my sim comes back from work, he will take a shower in his own bathroom. Which system would be better for my needs? Thanks!
Forum Resident
#12 Old 3rd May 2016 at 10:51 AM
I got it to work, yay! Did anyone make an invisible recolour of this, per chance? Not a big deal but it does look a little out of place in the nursery. I suppose it wouldn't take long to make myself. Being square, you may even be able to make it look like a picture frame.

I can tell I'm going to have fun with this thing and all it's configs.

Yay, indeed, Snufflepaws! I do love it, so I think the more people that know about it the better.

I have never looked for recolors, but please let me know if you find any or make any.

I don't know anything about meshing or recoloring, but it does seem to be an active (? not sure what you'd call it) mesh---by which I mean that the little light on the object only goes on when you "arm" it by clicking "Lock." The sort of detail Pescado would love (and useful, because it's possible to only turn on some of the APOs in your home when you have more than one, or temporarily turn off a specific one). I mention it in case that sort of thing matters to the recoloring process.

Quote: Originally posted by elly87
Thank you for this tread, I would need an advice. I would like to built two houses on one residential lot and transfer there two families: my idea is to play them at the same time, so they can interact, but I would like that the members of one family do not enter the house of the other one (unless there is a special occasion or I decide they spend time together). In this way I could pretend that any family recognises its home and, for exaple, when my sim comes back from work, he will take a shower in his own bathroom. Which system would be better for my needs? Thanks!

Sure, I can suggest. Although first it's best if I know: which expansion packs do you have? Some of these options work for some configurations and not others.
Lab Assistant
#13 Old 3rd May 2016 at 12:24 PM
Quote: Originally posted by natboopsie

Sure, I can suggest. Although first it's best if I know: which expansion packs do you have? Some of these options work for some configurations and not others.

Thank you @natboopsie, I have UC
Forum Resident
#14 Old 3rd May 2016 at 1:30 PM
Great, elly. OK, then you have the following three options that are UC compatible: Inge's targetable doors, Inge's colorkey system, and Pescado's APO.

I gave this quite some thought, and I think of those three, the APO again will best meet your needs. Although it is slightly more difficult at first setup, in the event of guests or a party at only one house, the APO is much less difficult to reconfigure for the special occasion. You do not have to make the guests controllable (you would have to do that if you used color-key doors and wanted guests to come in for a party, so you could access their inventories), and you can still keep the other family out during the party with no problems.

APO setup for both houses:
  • Place an APO inside the front room of each house (the room that you first enter when you enter the front door). If you have back doors that lead to a different room of the house, again you will need an APO in those locations too. Basically, all entrance doors to the houses must only lead to a room with an APO. But if there is only one door to each house, this means only 1 APO is needed per house.
  • Set every APO to Deny Everyone (or maybe it is "All" and not "Everyone".) Set all APOs to Lock.
  • Set Override on the APOs in each family's house. For each house, all APOs placed must have an Override for every family member who lives there.

APO adjustment for guests or a party at only one house:
  • Set Override on the APO(s) in the house of the family that has invited the guests. Each guest must be named as an override on that house's APOs. Now your guests can come in, but the other family is still locked out of the party house.
  • After the guests leave, you can Clear Override for each guest. (They do not have to be on the lot for an override to be cleared, but they do have to be on the lot to be available for Set Override.) But, and this is another nice part, you do not have to. In that case, every time any of those sims come over again, they can automatically come in. So this way, you have a permanent guest list but the other family stays locked out.
  • If you want the other family to come to the party too, in that case I would not bother with Set Override for guests at all---I would just Unlock all APOs in the party house! When you Lock the APOs again after the party, the other family will again be locked out. So that's easy. Same with if both houses are throwing a party---unlock all the APOs on the lot. (You can just click one APO on the lot and you have the option to lock or unlock them all.)

Edit to add: oh, and if either house has a nanny or a maid, then that sim must also be named using Set Override for whichever house you want the nanny or made to go into. Actually, because the APOs will all be set to Deny All, if you hire a repairman, you must also temporarily Set Override and name the repairman.

Hope that helps! Let me know if you have other questions.
Lab Assistant
#15 Old 3rd May 2016 at 2:16 PM
@natboopsie, thank you so much for all the info and precise instructions, I am reading everything carefully. I am building the houses and I will test the APO soon. At first I thought that the Key system was the solution for me, but I didn't think that in that case visitors need the key in their inventory, as you said. You are right and thanks! As soon as I try the APO system (I guess later today), I will let you know
Thank you for your kindness
Lab Assistant
#16 Old 4th May 2016 at 12:44 PM
@natboopsie, I am trying to use the APO, but I have a problem. I set the APOs as you told: Deny everyone, Lock and then Override in House A members of A family, in house B members of B family. The A family has a dog, but now it is blocked inside the house A, as I could not understand how to set Override for it too. Can you help please? Thanks
Forum Resident
#17 Old 4th May 2016 at 3:55 PM Last edited by natboopsie : 4th May 2016 at 4:45 PM.
@natboopsie, I am trying to use the APO, but I have a problem. I set the APOs as you told: Deny everyone, Lock and then Override in House A members of A family, in house B members of B family. The A family has a dog, but now it is blocked inside the house A, as I could not understand how to set Override for it too. Can you help please? Thanks

Hi, @elly87! Thanks for the update. Ah, yes, that's a problem with the setup I suggested. I didn't think about your families having pets.

I considered for a moment about whether the color-keys system could help instead, but of course dogs do not have inventory.

But I can think of a way to probably make the APO work. You should not have to change the Overrides list. You do have to change the Permit menu and then redo the Deny part.
  • Go to Permit and click to Permit Everyone (or again, it might say "All"---I don't remember which it is).
  • Go to Deny and Deny every age group: Adults, Teens, Children, and Babies (babies includes toddlers on the APO).
  • Check to make sure that your Overrides still include the names of the right family.
  • Check to make sure the APO is still Locked (will show only the option to Unlock if it is indeed locked).
  • Done!

That should work because now pets are not denied, only "human" sims, by denying every age group. In fact, probably this is a better method than my previous suggestion for most cases that might involve pets. And if you ever want to lock the pet out, you can just use the normal Maxis locking on the doors, OR the APO as well has a setting to specifically "Deny Pets."

Let me know if that solves it! By the way, I appreciated your kind words earlier.

Oh, one other thing: I remembered that the color-keys system CAN access guest (and current family) inventories by itself, without your having to make guests controllable. You just click on any one of the special color-keys doors and use the "Give Key" and "Take Key" options. However, in your situation, I still think that the APO is better, because what the Simlogical system still cannot do is give you the list of all sims being allowed to override. So if you forget to take someone's key before they leave the lot, it will be too late. And if you don't remember to whom you gave keys, there is no built-in way to find out; you'd have to control them anyway or use SimPE to view their inventories.

So in short, again for your situation I feel the APO is the best choice. That built-in list (viewable when you select "Clear Override") of who can currently override a room's system is always available to you and always editable by you, no matter who is actually on the lot. This gives you much more flexibility and control over each house.
Lab Assistant
#18 Old 4th May 2016 at 4:30 PM
@natboopsie, thank you for your help again, youa re very kind and precise! Have you ever thought about writing a guide about APO?

I will try the new method later this evening and report here
But.. when do I have to do the Override with the names of families' members? At the end?

Also, thanks for the infos about the keys!
Forum Resident
#19 Old 4th May 2016 at 4:37 PM
@natboopsie, thank you for your help again, youa re very kind and precise! Have you ever thought about writing a guide about APO?

I will try the new method later this evening and report here
But.. when do I have to do the Override with the names of families' members? At the end?

Also, thanks for the infos about the keys!

LOL, I think this *is* my guide about APO, elly87. But again, your kind words are appreciated.

Good, please do report back.

You should not have to change the Override list at all when you are only making changes to groups on Permit and Deny. If you already did Set Override for each family member, then all that *should* stay intact, even after you do the new programming that I have suggested. You should check to be sure this is true.

Of course, if you have not yet gotten around to setting the Override for each family member, then you should do that as part of the new process. But it does not matter whether you do it before or after the steps with the Deny and Permit menus.
Lab Assistant
#20 Old 4th May 2016 at 4:42 PM
Thanks again for this fast reply and added informations!
As soon as I try APO with these settings, I will write again here.

Edit: oh, and I already bought APO for my families, but I guess I will buy new ones so I can do new settings from a reset situation.
Forum Resident
#21 Old 4th May 2016 at 4:49 PM
Thanks again for this fast reply and added informations!
As soon as I try APO with these settings, I will write again here.

Edit: oh, and I already bought APO for my families, but I guess I will buy new ones so I can do new settings from a reset situation.

You're welcome.

Oh, no, you do not have to buy new APO units! That is one of the beauties of the system---you can reprogram it as much as you want. So just keep the units you have. The instructions that I gave in my last post (from today) were intended for *reprogramming* the units you have already, on the assumption (because you said the dog was locked in) that you already programmed it the way I suggested yesterday.

Perhaps that was your confusion about the Overrides list! No, because you are keeping the same units, the Overrides list (if you already set it) does not have to change. You just redo the Deny menu (and also Allow Everyone just because that will re-enable the dog to move freely).
Lab Assistant
#22 Old 4th May 2016 at 4:52 PM
Yes, I followed the instructions you gave me, but then I tried some solutions to free the dog, with no results (of course) and maybe I made a mess somewhere. Anyway I will try again combining all the informations you gave me

And again thanks!
Forum Resident
#23 Old 4th May 2016 at 5:03 PM Last edited by natboopsie : 5th May 2016 at 4:12 PM.
Yes, I followed the instructions you gave me, but then I tried some solutions to free the dog, with no results (of course) and maybe I made a mess somewhere. Anyway I will try again combining all the informations you gave me

And again thanks!

Ah, I see. And no problem. Yes, in that case I can see why you might want to buy new APOs and just try again. Indeed, deleting the old ones and buying new will clear all the settings.

So, in that case, only one part of my post #14 instructions needs to change. I have edited that section and am presenting here the version you should use, to allow the dog to be unrestricted.

APO setup for both houses:
  • Place an APO inside the front room of each house (the room that you first enter when you enter the front door). If you have back doors that lead to a different room of the house, again you will need an APO in those locations too. Basically, all entrance doors to the houses must only lead to a room with an APO. But if there is only one door to each house, this means only 1 APO is needed per house.
  • Set every APO to Deny the following four groups: Adults, Teens, Children, and Babies (for the APO, "Babies" includes toddlers).
  • Set all APOs to Lock.
  • Set Override on the APOs in each family's house. For each house, all APOs placed must have an Override for every family member who lives there.

Everything after that point in my post #14 should still be done the same way as I first described, so you must also Set Override by name for nannies, maids, repairpeople, and other guests.

Once you have tested, if we confirm that this works, I'll edit my post #14, so future users of the thread won't have to sift through every post to understand what works. (Editing to change my mind: considering just writing an article for the Wiki, per the end of my post 26 in this thread. Consolidating the information is a big job; maybe a guide there would be really the same amount of effort!)

Good luck, elly84!
Lab Assistant
#24 Old 4th May 2016 at 9:50 PM
It worked, I am so happy, thank you very very much!
I used the instructions on post n. 14 and then the last you gave me.
So (hoping to write everything correctly):
-Buy 2 APOs, one for house A and one for house B
-Deny everyone both in A and B
-Lock both in A and B
-Override with names of member of two families (both in A and B, with different names depending on the member of the two families)
-Permit everyone
-Deny age groups from babies to adults
At this point Overrides were still okay.
I did the last two steps (Permit everyone and Deny age groups) only in house A, since the dog belongs to family A (so the dog cannot enter house B with family B).
Did I understood your method correctly?
For sure it can be done in a faster way, but I used the same APO that I bought the first time, not buying a new one, as you told.
If I made some mistakes in writing, feel free to tell me, so I can edit my post.
Thanks
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#25 Old 4th May 2016 at 10:41 PM
Woah! This thread blew up! Thanks for all the help, everyone! I'm excited to try out these mods.
Page 1 of 2