Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
#26 Old 8th May 2016 at 5:59 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Warren Zevon
The Sims 4 has been a smashing success.

On a serious note though, it does have some good elements which I have found entertaining. And I'm pretty sure we're gonna get a Sims 5, knowing EA. :P
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#27 Old 9th May 2016 at 12:27 AM
Quote: Originally posted by lil bag2
Were we already asking for TS4 two years into TS3's development? XD.

Most definitely! I remember people doubting that Maxis would ever make a sequel on the Sims 1 forums. Sims 3 speculation was going on right around University, while its development actually began immediately after the Sims 2 was released. It is incredibly likely that they are prototyping the Sims 5 right now, even with just a small team.
Mad Poster
#28 Old 9th May 2016 at 12:36 AM
Quote: Originally posted by BR_FL
Most definitely! I remember people doubting that Maxis would ever make a sequel on the Sims 1 forums. Sims 3 speculation was going on right around University, while its development actually began immediately after the Sims 2 was released. It is incredibly likely that they are prototyping the Sims 5 right now, even with just a small team.

I'd love to be a fly on the wall (actually not really) and see what kind of prototypes they're going for this time around.

Are we going to see a real offline game, or are they going to try the whole online angle again? We'll see in a year or so
Instructor
#29 Old 9th May 2016 at 1:53 AM
I just hope it isn't a mobile only for the next iteration. Worries me when Maxis is combined and becomes EA mobile and Maxis. Especially since SimCity is mobile only now. I don't want the same to happen to the Sims.
Instructor
#30 Old 9th May 2016 at 2:09 AM
Quote: Originally posted by jje1000
Are we going to see a real offline game, or are they going to try the whole online angle again?

Also, are we going to see a real simulation game, or are they going to try the whole reality-TV drama generator angle again?

My expectations for the franchise are nil as long as the following remains EA's vision: "Franklin noted that this is a game that relies on little to no consulting with behavioral professionals, 'It’s less of a life simulation but more a game about drama.'"
Mad Poster
#31 Old 9th May 2016 at 2:30 AM
I wouldn't mind a game with a greater focus on drama rather than life simulation (i.e. sims are able to live a decent life on their own and you play more as their conscience than as a god), but the behavioral AI better be top-notch rather than the gameified "emoshuns" we have right now.
Mad Poster
#32 Old 9th May 2016 at 2:48 AM
I'm sorry to say but Sims 4 is the last for me for EA has screwed up the Sims starting with Sims 3.
I will not buy any EP's or SP's for 4 and stop buying 3 on about the 6th EP/SP for EA did not fixed there screw ups.

I have loaded up 4 and played for about 8 hours and gave up on it.

The only way I will buy 5 is if EA goes back to the roots of Sims 1 and Sims 2. If they can make it open world with all the characteristics of both Sims 1 and Sims 2 then and only then will I buy it.

All my Beginning Hoods here at MTS. http://www.modthesims.info/member.php?u=7749491
All my Beginning Hoods as Shopping Districts plus Old Town. http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=523417
MooVille, a tribute to Mootilda and her fabulous lots http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=534158
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#34 Old 9th May 2016 at 9:19 AM
Honestly I would rather have Prison Architect graphics with real simulated human behaviour than the candy floss we have now with "weirder stories"

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Top Secret Researcher
#35 Old 9th May 2016 at 9:34 AM
I would kill for pixel-art game with simulated human behaviour. Something like terrairia, but with The Sims aproach. And I'm not talking about the recent Sims aproach, but the actual, proper AI, with all kinds of things that define human being. The Sims never dwelled deep in human mind, but I would not mind having a game that does just that. Playing around with simulated human behaviour and human thought process would be wonderfull. Something different and never seen before. Creating all kind of individuals and then exploring your creation... that's my lifelong dream.
#36 Old 9th May 2016 at 10:25 AM
Quote: Originally posted by mixa97sr
The Sims never dwelled deep in human mind.

Actually if it had built upon what was started in TS1 it might well have got there. In TS2 they attempted to deepen it, which in many ways they did, but - probably in order to lighten the load on processing - a concept of interactions pushed by a controller external to the sim came about, supplemental to their own internal motive-driven autonomy. This led to some unlikely social juxtapositions. For example, Sims now had memories - memories of being wronged etc. So, Cassandra's boyfriend cheated on her, their relationship score goes into the red, they argue etc just as you would expect. Some time goes by, and subsequent meetings have them getting over the bust-up and becoming friends again. Cassandra still has the "memory" of the breakup. The guy comes round and they all settle down happily to play a game with her little brother and another kid. Laughing and joking. Meanwhile this external game controller is roving over the sims looking for situations to make happen, based on random memories held by the sims. It picks Cassandra's breakup, and adds an item to her queue, to start a fight with the ex. It's not urgent enough to stop the game. The game ends but by then she needs to pee, so the toilet icon pushes its way in front of the fight icon. Eventually she has time to deal with her overwhelming rage and have her fight.

Maybe it would have been more realistic if the icon hadn't appeared in the queue so early on while everyone was happy :D

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Top Secret Researcher
#37 Old 9th May 2016 at 11:13 AM
Well, it would've been nice if controller took more stuff into consideration when creating the interaction for the sim. Yes, I agree that sims could've turned into quite decent human behavior/mind simulation game... but it didn't. And that's not why I'm devastated. It's only that I'm afraid that The Sims will be the only game about autonomous human behaviour ever. That makes me quite sad.
Test Subject
#38 Old 15th May 2016 at 1:15 PM
Quote: Originally posted by VentusMatt
Paradox would be my bet of being able to pull off a sims game but my bet is low.
Sure I' would be !
Scholar
#39 Old 15th May 2016 at 2:16 PM
Oh, if the market outcomes goes not so sour they definitelly will make another game iteration. More expensive, with less content, even more chopped into small, absurdly overpriced elements. It is how such industry evolved.

However they actually has shown they never should do this again. And, sadly, I would not put much faith into Paradox (for example). They started proving with Stellaris execution, they slowly, but decisivelly are going into beign part of main industry area. "Get a set of good ideas, and make a disasterous execution. Then sell it as an 'innovation' ".

Let's get back into PacMan.

favorite quote: "When ElaineNualla is posting..I always read..Nutella. I am sorry" by Rosebine
self-claimed "lower-spec simmer"
#40 Old 15th May 2016 at 2:31 PM
Well I am not familiar with Paradox overall, but definitely Colossal Order have been making games that disappointingly cut corners in the fidelity of simulation for the sake of performance and magnitude. I actually prefer to reduce magnitude in favor or simulation and performance, like EA have done in TS4. The sad bit is that EA cut the simulation and content too! :D

Instructor
#41 Old 15th May 2016 at 3:25 PM
get aquainted because this blows simcity out of the water

Mirror floors, sexy mirror silhouettes, adult DVD, legend of zelda items and more ALL FREE AT: XTRA SIMS!
#42 Old 15th May 2016 at 3:53 PM
I have that game, and there are fudgings in the simulation that they couldn't get away with in a human life game like the sims without us being even more exasperated than we are with EA. Also they are even less responsive wrt bug fixing than EA are.

Instructor
#43 Old 15th May 2016 at 11:53 PM
Quote: Originally posted by spotlight-shure
I have a $1500 gaming PC and I STILL can't run Sims 3 properly. It's just so f*cking slow. I made a 6 sim family the other day and it took 4 hours just in CAS... WTF. And that's just because everything took forever to load in the outfit categories (no CC) and then picking everything down to their damn socks.. like come on. I don't give a sh*t if my sims are wearing socks if you can't even see them. I prefer Sims 4 just because it PLAYS better. It's a smoother game and I will pay $$$ for that any day. Do I want more content for Sims 4? Hell yes. So lately I haven't been playing any sims games, because they're all incomplete when you compare them to each other. (Seriously I DREADED changing my sims look in TS3 because it would take an hour in real time. I LOVE how you can edit all sims in TS4 at the same time and it takes like 5 minutes.)

And i have a mid-range laptop and TS3 runs great. All Store Content, bunch of CC hair and clothes+ All EPs and SPs.
Please don't blame anyone because you don't know how to take care of you computer and your game, just please stop

I need a cigarette
Field Researcher
#44 Old 16th May 2016 at 12:11 AM
Quote: Originally posted by MeltingMagnetz
And i have a mid-range laptop and TS3 runs great. All Store Content, bunch of CC hair and clothes+ All EPs and SPs.
Please don't blame anyone because you don't know how to take care of you computer and your game, just please stop

Congratulations, that is wonderful for you. You deserve an award. Who exactly did I blame other than EA?

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing, and be nothing. -Aristotle
Mad Poster
#45 Old 16th May 2016 at 12:40 AM
When you're trying to be sassy and shame someone about a subject you don't fully understand.

->> Check Out Checkout: Journey To Employee Of The Month! <<-

~ Just a click a day is nothing short of helpful! ~
Mad Poster
#46 Old 16th May 2016 at 11:33 AM
Mind I add 2¢?

Given the success with newcomers, if Sims 5 is made, it will stray from the original formula enough that us hardcore veterans will not recognize that it is a Sims game.

I am having doubts that toddlers will be added, if at all, but this idea of a new game they are essentially holding hostage with the ransom being high enough sales, it makes me miss when Will Wright was in charge, the intuitive programming and many bits of Pre-TS4 memories.

So those are my thoughts on the issue.

Personal Quote: "I like my men like my sodas: tall boys." (Zevia has both 12 and 16 oz options)

(P.S. I'm about 5' (150cm) in height and easily scared)
Smeg Head
#47 Old 16th May 2016 at 4:36 PM

I would imagine comparing play styles would make all the difference for TS3. It doesn't take that much to throw TS3 over the edge into jiggery, juddery meltdown. But if you never take it to that line, then TS3 would be a smooth experience. Quiet, but smooth. The trouble is, the game environment, the open world, the many lots, invites you to get productive and creative, to fill those houses with sims, furnishings and pets. And that's right when the game craps out on you. That and the never-ending resort bar workers spawning till they completely overrun the town. Cheers for fixing that horrendous glitch Maxis before you buggered off to TS4ville. Oh, that's right. you didn't!!!

Regarding the open world of TS3, given that Maxis were the only ones to ever do something of that nature at the time, we can't accurately tell if they done a poor job without having others to compare with. They may well have done the best that anyone could have done, despite the outcome. It may well be why other game devs are reluctant to join in the people simulator market so just leave it all to Maxis.

And when Maxis abandoned the open world scenario to take a step back and return to single lots and frequent loading screens, not only are other game devs saying, "yep that's why we don't do it." But all those creative folks who suffered the TS3 jiddery, juddery meltdowns were proven to be in the majority to those players who claim their game runs perfectly fine.

Otherwise TS4 would have been an even bigger, immersive open world scenario, on a par with the size of a GTA 5 city. And about two or three other game devs would have be in the mix by now. As it is, we don't even know if Maxis will continue the Sims franchise beyond 4. To be truthful, do they even deserve to? I don't know if I could ever be interested in another title by that bunch of hapless yahoos. The main reason for that, it's getting harder and harder to tell these last few years if they're even interested in new titles, or, more importantly, truly interested in the ones they're currently producing.
Forum Resident
#48 Old 16th May 2016 at 5:25 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Warren Zevon
The Sims 4 has been a smashing success; there's no reason the believe there won't be a Sims 5. I think (and hope) that Sims 4 will last a little longer than previous installments. They're releasing expansions slower since they're giving us much more content per pack, so I can see Sims 4 lasting a good 6 years or so before Sims 5 comes out.

Everyone laughed and disagreed with him but...

I don't think EA is shedding any tears over The Sims 4 or Sims Series.

My Simblr --->Glee & Squee
Scholar
#49 Old 16th May 2016 at 7:29 PM
Quote: Originally posted by H.O.W
Everyone laughed and disagreed with him but...

I don't think EA is shedding any tears over The Sims 4 or Sims Series.

I'm really curious to know if that includes digital sales or if it's only a reflection of physical units sold. Does anyone know?
Instructor
#50 Old 16th May 2016 at 8:11 PM

About CC and save file size. SimGuruEugi had this to say about it.
"CC alone does not affect the save size. Usually, the main driving factor is the number of Sims (and consequently, the number of relationships between Sims)."
Page 2 of 18