Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 8th May 2016 at 5:11 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Sims 2 and Windows 10 and issues
The graphics look weird (grass looks weird), also it blinks. The water has no reflection in it. Oh and smooth edges is disabled. I just recently installed sims 2 on my new laptop. Which is Windows 10.

Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 8th May 2016 at 8:25 AM
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 11th May 2016 at 9:23 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Justpetro
See if this will help:
http://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=568275
I tried this step: 1. go to Nvidia control panel / select your latest installed game (SP9 most often) / force the game to use the good graphics card (not the integrated one) by selecting Nvidia high perfomance; . and I got this error when trying to run the game.

Mad Poster
#4 Old 11th May 2016 at 12:40 PM
You have to select Fun with Pets with the UC. It does not work the same as disks. Have you found the graphic rules, because that should be enough to fix it?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 11th May 2016 at 10:28 PM
You have to select Fun with Pets with the UC. It does not work the same as disks. Have you found the graphic rules, because that should be enough to fix it?
I selected fun with pets. I used graphic rules and it fixed the graphics issue. It didn't fix the flickering and smooth edges disabled though. I used the graphic rules application that does it for you.
Mad Poster
#6 Old 11th May 2016 at 11:39 PM
Your pic says Mansion and Garden Stuff?

In my game smooth edges are enabled. I found that some custom hoods tend to flicker a bit, not really too much, though, when in neighborhood view (but not all of them).The maxis hoods don't do that.

I have played UC on Windows 10 since Windows 10 first appeared on my desktop - and UC since it came out; I really have no problems at all with it.

Have you followed the other steps - make the game compatible with Windows 8? (You could try another setting here, for obviously no two systems are exactly the same, but the compatible with Windows 8 works for me).

Have you put both files in both places? If you look at the leefish thread : http://www.leefish.nl/mybb/showthread.php?tid=5446 - Step 4 - I know I did not do it correctly at first, I only put them in the Config and not in the CSConfig as well - I cannot remember exactly what did not work! Let me know if this helps.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#7 Old 12th May 2016 at 4:28 AM
Your pic says Mansion and Garden Stuff?

In my game smooth edges are enabled. I found that some custom hoods tend to flicker a bit, not really too much, though, when in neighborhood view (but not all of them).The maxis hoods don't do that.

I have played UC on Windows 10 since Windows 10 first appeared on my desktop - and UC since it came out; I really have no problems at all with it.

Have you followed the other steps - make the game compatible with Windows 8? (You could try another setting here, for obviously no two systems are exactly the same, but the compatible with Windows 8 works for me).

Have you put both files in both places? If you look at the leefish thread : http://www.leefish.nl/mybb/showthread.php?tid=5446 - Step 4 - I know I did not do it correctly at first, I only put them in the Config and not in the CSConfig as well - I cannot remember exactly what did not work! Let me know if this helps.
For some reason it says mansion and garden even though it isn't. I have done compatibility mode for Windows 8. I put both files in both places, as I didn't before. It still won't open and does that error.
Lab Assistant
#8 Old 12th May 2016 at 5:11 AM
I previously made a post on this thread, which solved my issues with weird graphics & smooth edges disabled. Maybe this will work for you?

Here is the link to my post:
http://modthesims.info/showthread.p...721#post4850721
Mad Poster
#9 Old 12th May 2016 at 7:38 AM
CreepyPixelGod - I did not think of that earlier, but I believe that (invalidarg) is a driver error; I don't think it is graphics - even though that may still need some tweaking - that prevents it from opening. I believe it is a DirectX driver error; because the game should open even if the graphics are not perfect - I think you should repair your game in Origin and see if it runs. Then you can attempt to do the graphic fixes again. (Back up your hood to be on the safe side).
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#10 Old 12th May 2016 at 8:00 AM
CreepyPixelGod - I did not think of that earlier, but I believe that (invalidarg) is a driver error; I don't think it is graphics - even though that may still need some tweaking - that prevents it from opening. I believe it is a DirectX driver error; because the game should open even if the graphics are not perfect - I think you should repair your game in Origin and see if it runs. Then you can attempt to do the graphic fixes again. (Back up your hood to be on the safe side).
How do I repair it? There is no option for that in my Origin.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#11 Old 12th May 2016 at 8:16 AM
Right-click on the icon, I believe.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Mad Poster
#12 Old 12th May 2016 at 10:06 AM
Yes, not the icon, though - right click on the game, you will get the option to repair game (let us know if it worked)
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#13 Old 12th May 2016 at 6:42 PM
I'm wondering how the game icon is not the game - you mean the little pictures in the Origin window (because those are icons)?

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#14 Old 12th May 2016 at 9:38 PM
Yes, not the icon, though - right click on the game, you will get the option to repair game (let us know if it worked)
I was able to repair the game. But it didn't solve the game being unable to open, due to that error that pops up.
Mad Poster
#15 Old 12th May 2016 at 10:07 PM
Have you used a cc or registry cleaner of any kind?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#16 Old 12th May 2016 at 10:08 PM
Have you used a cc or registry cleaner of any kind?
No I have not. Am I supposed to use one? What do you recommend, if so?
Mad Poster
#17 Old 12th May 2016 at 11:00 PM
No - you should not use one at all - they delete some of the .dll files that the game needs; and I am now really worried because I cannot think of anything else you can do.
I don't think it is the graphics causing the game not to start, it seems that a driver went missing. You could uninstall and download the UC again, but before you do that, try the following:
See if there is an update available for your graphics card - it may be that.
Delete the cache files and the thumbnails, repair the game again, and try to start it in Origin.
You have not installed any of the disks, I assume.
There has to be a reason, I am not the only one that plays UC on Windows 10 - I think we can sort it out one way or the other.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#18 Old 12th May 2016 at 11:31 PM
No - you should not use one at all - they delete some of the .dll files that the game needs; and I am now really worried because I cannot think of anything else you can do.
I don't think it is the graphics causing the game not to start, it seems that a driver went missing. You could uninstall and download the UC again, but before you do that, try the following:
See if there is an update available for your graphics card - it may be that.
Delete the cache files and the thumbnails, repair the game again, and try to start it in Origin.
You have not installed any of the disks, I assume.
There has to be a reason, I am not the only one that plays UC on Windows 10 - I think we can sort it out one way or the other.
I tried what you said to do and it still didn't open. Also yes I am not using any disks, using the digital origin download. Gonna try reinstalling the game.
Forum Resident
#19 Old 13th May 2016 at 12:22 AM
So, I'm not a hardcore technical person, but I know enough to have muddled through fixing some of my own problems. And I was wondering: does CreepyPixelGod maybe need to update his DirectX driver, or just reinstall the driver on the chance that it's somehow gotten messed up?

Also, although I'm running UC on Win 8.1, when Graphics Rules Maker did not work for me and some other fiddling with trying to make the UC run on my NVIDIA card instead of the integrated chip also did not work...this was what did work. I forced the computer to just use the NVIDIA card for everything. I did that in NVIDIA Settings, under Global Settings, rather than setting it per program.

I assume this will be more wear and tear on the NVIDIA over the long run, but I feel like that's fine. The NVIDIA's not an integrated chip, so I can easily swap in a new one if it ends up not lasting as long as I plan to keep the machine, right? (Yes, I realize swapping in a new one would probably require hiring a tech, and I am prepared to do that.)
Mad Poster
#20 Old 13th May 2016 at 12:36 AM
Yes - naboopsie, but we are not certain which drivers went missing - downloading the game again will fix that. I'd rather like to know why it went missing!

And then - yes, the NVIDIA card should be forced to work with everything, if CreepyPixedGod has not done that yet; I did that a long time ago - but I also needed to change the graphic rules. The program did not work for me either, but installing the files manually seemed to do the trick. I don't think the card will wear out that much sooner. It is quite easy to change a graphics card, if you take the old one out, you can clearly see where the new one has to go.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#21 Old 13th May 2016 at 4:33 AM Last edited by CreepyPixelGod : 13th May 2016 at 5:26 AM.
Yes - naboopsie, but we are not certain which drivers went missing - downloading the game again will fix that. I'd rather like to know why it went missing!

And then - yes, the NVIDIA card should be forced to work with everything, if CreepyPixedGod has not done that yet; I did that a long time ago - but I also needed to change the graphic rules. The program did not work for me either, but installing the files manually seemed to do the trick. I don't think the card will wear out that much sooner. It is quite easy to change a graphics card, if you take the old one out, you can clearly see where the new one has to go.
I have the nvidia set to global settings. You think I should change the graphic rules manually? I have direct x 12. I tried running the game after reinstalling it and it still said a error.
Mad Poster
#22 Old 13th May 2016 at 8:31 AM
First, you need to get your game to open, and I am not sure I can help you with that. After reinstalling, the graphic settings should be back to the vanilla settings anyway. And since the game opened the first time, something must have changed somewhere on your pc - and that error indicates a missing driver. Have you downloaded any other programs? Installed anything else? You could try to update the DirectX driver, but it seems as if it already is updated.
Once you get it to open, I recommend installing the graphic rules manually, yes, because all systems simply do not work the same.
Forum Resident
#23 Old 13th May 2016 at 11:58 AM
...I also needed to change the graphic rules. The program did not work for me either, but installing the files manually seemed to do the trick. I don't think the card will wear out that much sooner. It is quite easy to change a graphics card, if you take the old one out, you can clearly see where the new one has to go.

Oh, thanks, Justpetro---the latter is good to know. I shall read up about the process and probably give it a shot myself, then, if the time comes.

Regarding changing the graphics rules: yes, I should not imply that I never had to change mine. I had to do it manually too, not using the GRM. So forcing the system to use the NVIDIA globally just made some visible improvements that gave me encouragement enough to keep going with the rest of the process!

Butting out now; I've entirely reached the limits of what I know here, and it's clear that CreepyPixelGod is in good hands.
Mad Poster
#24 Old 13th May 2016 at 2:43 PM
@maxon - you are correct, of course

CreepyPixelGod - I would now do a troubleshoot via the control panel and check the hardware if I were you; and then make sure that your graphics card uses a Nvidia driver and not the Windows 10 one.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#25 Old 14th May 2016 at 12:18 AM
@maxon - you are correct, of course

CreepyPixelGod - I would now do a troubleshoot via the control panel and check the hardware if I were you; and then make sure that your graphics card uses a Nvidia driver and not the Windows 10 one.
How do I do the troubleshoot? I opened up control panel already.
Page 1 of 2