Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Meet Me In My Next Life
Original Poster
#1 Old 15th May 2016 at 10:59 PM Last edited by Simonut : 16th May 2016 at 12:34 AM.
Default What I hate About Free Time
Well I have always wanted Free Time EPs to add to my game and now that I have it after so many years without it, I now dislike certain interactions.
After getting around to finally playing it for about an hour yesterday, the "number" one Sims that have to be STOP and gone is that creepy Mr. Humble with his gift of that big ugly computer that is staring in my Sims faces, and taken up all of the room on the desk. So I went on a hunt for a Mod to stop him found one at MATY called "No Humble" so far so good, I can't even think of someone coming around to anyone house in real life unless they are.

Computer "Con Artist" giving a way free computer. There is a real story behind Humble this person was created in the Sims 2 from EA, he's been working for EA since 1990 and move up to a President position. ( Good for him )Someone or maybe even himself decided to create him as Mr. Humble in the game. Well sorry to say to the real Mr. Humble thanks but no thanks I can do without your visit or gifts, I only see this good for the real poor Sims to have,and it seem they don't even want your gift of a computer. ( LMAO ) The next number two thing I hate is the "Hobby Sims" that walk into my Sims home ( uninvited ) to bother them with joining their clubs of hobbies. Not even lock doors can stop them.

Also number three please no more POP UP messages about if they keep doing good in their hobbies we are watching you ( or something like that ) Do My Sims really need a spy? Is it the Sims government watching them ? LMAO So again I went on a hunt to find a Mod to stop number 2 & 3 interactions found one at MATY it will stop the intruders and excessive phone call, but it "will not" eliminate all spam. I really want the message to stop a mod or like ask me if I want the message. So far I like Free Time need to play it even more don't know as of yet if it is more things I don't like. Also I installed BV about two week ago, then uninstalled it out of my game I hated the POP Up in BV telling me my Sims wanted a Vacation. ( have to think again if I want to add it back . ) right now no.

NOTE: I also notice Free Time "Reset" my game for example if my Sims was in the bed they was standing by the bed, if they was eating at the table they are Standing by the table. Now I have to go to every lot in Pleasantview and in my Custom hood to fixed it or make them move about. Any household in my game that have a maid I had to have my Sims get rid of the maid then re-hire he or she back,

Otherwise they would come and leave saying the house is all clean but once I got rid of maid then get them back all was normal. I don't know if the Nanny will do this yet I need to test and see.
Not interest right now in the New neighborhood that Free Time added to my game "Desiderate Valley" I seem to like playing just my two hoods not sure if removing that FT hood would mess my game up ( maybe I should leave it. )

"Nothing in life is a Surprise it just happen to come your way at the time".
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 15th May 2016 at 11:05 PM
There are mods to stamp on all of those things I think they are at MATY. Possibly Cyjon has some?

You can delete Desiderata with no issues. If you want it back aain at some point just download MeetMe2theRiver's cleaned copy.

Sims resetting is normal after installing a new EP. The maid thing is strange, though. I have never had that but perhaps uninstalling BV was to blame. It's not recommended to uninstall EPs and then re-load the same hoods. If you decide to test out a new EP another time make sure you back up your hoods before you test the new EP in case you decide to take it out. It will probably be fine as you have later EPs than BV installed, but be careful.

I use the sims as a psychology simulator...
Meet Me In My Next Life
Original Poster
#3 Old 15th May 2016 at 11:28 PM Last edited by Simonut : 16th May 2016 at 8:30 PM.
@ simsfreq Thanks I uninstalled like two week ago in April BV and FT both at the same time because my game was crashing, not because of the Mods I updated those to FT, so I waited a week later I then reinstalled from the base game up to "all EPs" up to Seasons only ( I had a back up game to stay current ) . Because I "never" had any crashing up to Seasons, but then this pass Monday 9, I decided to add Free Time to Seasons, NO Crashing the problem was I needed to "update My Video Card Driver" from Nvidia so I did, so far all is running like a clock. Yes I have MATY No Humble mod and No Hobbies Sims but it do not stop the popup. I think the maid thing was also a part of the Re-set it ok now in one household I still have to go to others who have maids. ( they are rich Sims lol )

Mad Poster
#4 Old 15th May 2016 at 11:51 PM
Perhaps you're right about pop ups. I barely pay attention to them any more because there are too many. But I think that most of the ones which remain do serve a purpose - it's nice to know when your sim has the membership card, for instance. I much prefer a pop up to a random demented person barging into my house at 3am just because my sim happens to be dreaming about games!

Scholar
#5 Old 15th May 2016 at 11:54 PM
I have nohobbyspam which means no Hobby Instructor will come to my house, (still get popups though) and a mod that changes Mr. Humble into the magic guy from Sims 1 Makin Magic. He delivers a cauldron and magic book (Apartment Life). I'm pretty happy with that.

I hate the Freetime reset thing but have learned to live with it.

"Oh look, my grandchild is now an elder. They grow up so fast. Gee, I wonder when I'll finally graduate college." Sims 2
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#6 Old 15th May 2016 at 11:57 PM
No hooby spam http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/ffs/al/hacks/
No hobby idle animations http://cyjon.net/node/212
No zone effects http://cyjon.net/node/316 (I use a different one which has 2 separate mods, one for sounds and one for glow but that site has gone, I can upload the one that is only for sound if you don't want a mod that nukes both)

I think that covers most FT hobby annoyances.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Undead Molten Llama
#7 Old 16th May 2016 at 12:11 AM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
I think that covers most FT hobby annoyances.

Except maybe the hobby wants that have a tendency to take over want panels. Lots of people complain about that...although it doesn't really bother me too much. Alas, this is apparently not something that can be modded without breaking stuff. Or at least, no one's been successful at it to date.

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Muh Simblr! | An index of my downloads on Tumblr.
Forum Resident
#8 Old 16th May 2016 at 12:41 AM Last edited by natboopsie : 18th May 2016 at 4:22 PM.
Ah, the lovely (*cough*) FreeTime spam. So very grating, yes.

Allow me to share one of my favorite mod suites, tunaisafish's Enthusiasm Overhaul. Tuna is retired, but a member over at simbology was kind enough to post the full set of the mod's components , along with the full documentation. (Some people think that it's that member's mod. I prefer to help folks understand that nope, Pandaah just was kindly posting a copy of tuna's work. tunaisafish is the sole author of Enthusiasm Overhaul.)

As with most mod suites, it's modular---install File 1 plus any or all of the other four files in the ZIP, depending on what you want fixed. tunaisafish was very good about giving clear instructions about what each does. Even better, he also documented which MATY mods his set complements or conflicts with, including load-order instructions. (He does say that nohobbyspam, mentioned by jo above me, makes his File 5 unneeded, but the rest of the MATY mods that might show a "conflict" in HCDU with his set are actually good partners with tuna's suite.)

My personal recommendation would be especially strong for Files 3 and 4. File 4 stops additional hobby spam directly, but what File 3 does is make it much harder for them to gain enthusiasm in hobbies unintentionally---and that unwanted enthusiasm is, I feel, an especially big contributor to the annoyance of hobby spam in the vanilla game.

In fact...this means that indirectly, File 3 will help significantly with the problem that @iCad has spelled out. Because a smaller number of hobbies in which your sim has enthusiasm means less want-panel hobby spam (you must have 3 points of enthusiasm in any hobby before you start getting want-panel spam, and File 3 helps make getting to that level somewhat to much less likely, depending on how you play).

Hope you find yourself less frustrated by FT thanks to what you get from this thread, Simonut.

I got a PM from someone who had tried using the Enthusiasm Overhaul in their game and then had pulled it, alarmed when HCDU reported that it conflicted with MATY's nohobbyspam even though they had not installed package 5 of the EO mod. As I told that member, I'm responding in this thread in case others have similar concerns. Please see my post here .
Scholar
#9 Old 16th May 2016 at 12:44 AM
the only thing that truly bothers me about free time is the hobbies taking over wants panels. things like sew a project, serve a meal or win a cooking contest aren't so bad, but that damned gaming hobby will take over a sims life: play chess, play a computer game, win a computer game, etc...its ridiculous.

Check out my simblr https://www.tumblr.com/blog/tbssimblr

Click the link, you know you want to. ;)
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#10 Old 16th May 2016 at 12:53 AM
Hobby wants don't bother me. My main peeves were the in the zone sound when gardening a large plot as the sound would start-stop-start-stop and the hobby people walking into my house.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#11 Old 16th May 2016 at 1:13 AM
You can train the hobby wants away by never fulfilling them.

All my Beginning Hoods here at MTS. http://www.modthesims.info/member.php?u=7749491
All my Beginning Hoods as Shopping Districts plus Old Town. http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=523417
MooVille, a tribute to Mootilda and her fabulous lots http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=534158
Forum Resident
#12 Old 16th May 2016 at 2:01 AM
@natboopsie Thank you for the mod recommendation. File 1 looks to take care of one of my larger hobby annoyances, which is the shifting around of all the sims interests to an unreasonable degree. I like that tunaisafish's mod still has some changes for a sim's OTH, but gets rid of other shifts from other hobby's activities. I really hate it when half my sims end up with the same interests (mostly full culture and entertainment) just because they were autonomously singing karaoke, dancing, or playing a game when I sent other sims to a community lot.
Forum Resident
#13 Old 16th May 2016 at 2:17 AM Last edited by natboopsie : 16th May 2016 at 11:21 AM.
You are very welcome, stitching! That package of tuna's has certainly made hobbies more enjoyable and sensible for me. FreeTime did us no favors in terms of keeping individual sims as unique as they were before---which is rather ironic, considering.

As long as I'm posting again in this thread, here's a relevant randomish thought: I used to be irritated to see that some of my old-favorite items were not updated for the UC. And then I started to realize that not being updated for FreeTime was in some cases a great blessing. Like Simlogical's Reservable Easel, which works just fine in the UC...except that it doesn't help the sim gain any enthusiasm in anything.

Which makes it perfect, I now see, for sims who need Creativity for a job but whom I don't wish to have develop the usual relevant enthusiasms, whether Arts and Crafts or Music and Dance. I even have put it on my back burner to go looking for more custom skilling objects that aren't updated for FT. I just don't think that job skilling should always have to mean you suddenly develop a hobby. Sometimes, maybe, but not every time.
Meet Me In My Next Life
Original Poster
#14 Old 16th May 2016 at 2:41 AM Last edited by Simonut : 16th May 2016 at 7:57 PM.
@ natboopsie What a very helpful mod you have share with us all here. ( Thanks so much ) I think I will use all the files accept File 5 and keep Pescado No Hobby Spam because I am not sure the other files will keep the hobby Sims out of my Sims home. Hopefully File 3 Less Hobby Lose will take care of the hobby wants that will take over the panel. ( still trying to understand that )

Another thing I notice maybe it's no big thing since I have just started playing FT just this pass Monday, I don't like the ideas that if my Sims is good at music and then good at sport here comes another message for one or the other or both is that normal ? I have not quite figure out since I just started playing FT how to deal with that.

Scholar
#15 Old 16th May 2016 at 2:57 AM
Quote: Originally posted by marka93
You can train the hobby wants away by never fulfilling them.

how do you avoid filling the gaming wants though? if a sim is not very active sports, dancing, etc...are not going to fill their fun. how do you fill fun for lazy or only slightly active sims if not through games?

Mad Poster
#16 Old 16th May 2016 at 9:47 AM
Fill up their fun with something that has nothing to do with the hobby. For example, have a Games enthusiast play a musical instrument. A Fitness fan can play chess or video games. A Music fan can stargaze with a telescope. Or pick a TV channel that doesn't go with the sim's hobby. There are lots of different ways for sims to have fun and they don't all appeal to the same hobbies
Mad Poster
#17 Old 16th May 2016 at 11:38 AM Last edited by gummilutt : 16th May 2016 at 12:27 PM. Reason: Fixing typo
Quote: Originally posted by iCad
Except maybe the hobby wants that have a tendency to take over want panels. Lots of people complain about that...although it doesn't really bother me too much. Alas, this is apparently not something that can be modded without breaking stuff. Or at least, no one's been successful at it to date.

Successful is a relative term. I have successfully banished hobby wants in my game. I got a pm from a user telling me it's easy, and sort of-instructions on how to modify the WantTrees.package in installation files to delete hobby wants, and eventually I managed to follow them to delete the hobby-related want branches. However, that approach may be a bit radical for some people, if they like the wants in general but would like them to be less frequent. According to the user EA screwed up something in the coding making those wants too dominant, and he was looking into reducing it rather than deleting, but he vanished short thereafter. Personally I'm happy to lose the 2-3 hobby wants I enjoy as a price to get rid of the 29035340658 annoying ones, but I imagine I may be a minority.

I would like to share the fix with those who like me want the radical approach, but there are several problems with that. The primary being that MTS does not technically allow installation files to be shared, and I'm not too comfortable with sharing the edit since I can't guarantee it won't accidentally delete more than you wanted it to. I'm happy with it, I haven't noticed any wants missing that I care for, but it goes against my creator-conscience to offer something without being 100% sure of what it's doing. Additionally it feels wrong to share an edit that I didn't think of myself. I pmed the user suggesting he share it, but he had vanished by then. The natural alternative would be to share the instructions I got and let people edit at their own risk, but the instructions are rather cryptic and it's been so long that I no longer understand them or really remember what I did. I haven't had the energy to sit down and re-do the process in order to write a tutorial on how it's done. But ideally I'll have a stroke of inspiration one day and decide to deal with it, and perhaps I'll have learned enough by then to do it more properly. Perhaps even figure out how to reduce frequency, or only delete specific wants

Creations can be found on my on tumblr.
Mad Poster
#18 Old 16th May 2016 at 12:18 PM
Do you remember where you got the mod that replaces Rod Humble with Mr. Magic

I found it. If anyone wants it, it's here: http://crispsandkerosene.tumblr.com...ble-overhaul-as

"Fear not little flock, for it hath pleased your Father to give you a kingdom". Luke 12:32 Chris Hatch's family friendly files archived on SFS: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=603534 . Bulbizarre's website: https://archiveofourown.org/users/C...CoveredPortals/
Scholar
#19 Old 16th May 2016 at 4:09 PM
Quote: Originally posted by RoxEllen1965
Fill up their fun with something that has nothing to do with the hobby. For example, have a Games enthusiast play a musical instrument. A Fitness fan can play chess or video games. A Music fan can stargaze with a telescope. Or pick a TV channel that doesn't go with the sim's hobby. There are lots of different ways for sims to have fun and they don't all appeal to the same hobbies

this works to a point. For example sims who are into fitness are usually very active. Depending on how active they are if you send them to play chess they will be really upset and unhappy, more importantly though their fun meter will fill very slowly and they are highly likely to get up and do something else, because they just don't find chess or video games fun. This isn't as bad with an active fitness enthusiast, because a game of catch, punch-you-punch-me or dancing will raise their fun as well they can easily develop a well rounded set of hobby interest.

For lazy sims though they have far fewer options to fill their fun. They're not active they don't like sports, dancing or exercise, reading a book doesn't raise fun much and I don't know I don't remember instruments being that much fun. With inactive sims the best way I've found is to raise their fun through games. I'll watch more closely next time an inactive sim picks up instrument though.

Mad Poster
#20 Old 16th May 2016 at 4:44 PM
Quote: Originally posted by gummilutt
I would like to share the fix with those who like me want the radical approach, but there are several problems with that. The primary being that MTS does not technically allow installation files to be shared, and I'm not too comfortable with sharing the edit since I can't guarantee it won't accidentally delete more than you wanted it to.

But MTS does. At least, I have a modded want-tree to enable adult wants for teens (because inteen) that I got off MTS. Perhaps they make some special exceptions for certain sorts of files? If you get it where you want it, perhaps pm'ing an admin and asking about that specifically, given https://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=169485

Pics from my game: Sunbee's Simblr Sunbee's Livejournal
"English is a marvelous edged weapon if you know how to wield it." C.J. Cherryh
Mad Poster
#21 Old 16th May 2016 at 5:07 PM
Yes, they do make exceptions sometimes I'm just not that motivated to get permission since I don't think it's responsible to share it at this point. I'm happy to potentially ruin my own game, I am not willing to potentially ruin someone elses game. But I appreciate the link, always good to have something to point to if I, as you say, get it to the point where I'd be okay with sharing it

Creations can be found on my on tumblr.
Forum Resident
#22 Old 16th May 2016 at 6:13 PM
Quote: Originally posted by A.G.Doren
how do you avoid filling the gaming wants though? if a sim is not very active sports, dancing, etc...are not going to fill their fun. how do you fill fun for lazy or only slightly active sims if not through games?

Woohoo
Mad Poster
#23 Old 16th May 2016 at 6:57 PM
Reading, watching TV, Red Hands.

Mad Poster
#24 Old 16th May 2016 at 7:43 PM
I rarely add *fun* objects in my sims house. Beside the chess table for logic skill building, I cannot say my sims are spoiled. Most of the time, if their fun motive is low, and this is rare, they will play together. Hang out is a good one for fun, social and building relationship as well.
I add bookcases, and they might also read just for fun. I really dislike the Hobby wants, too. But as many have stated, they end up going away. It is annoying when you are trying to get your sims into platinum, but all they wish for is Hobby related, yes. But i find all kinds of ways for them, to get their attention elswhere. I send one fishing...and won't mind if he then replace a wish with one to catch a particular fish. Fishing is also a Hobby related want, but no matter who your sim is...having a pond on the lot will bring that want. Then I like to think that it is not so related to nature enthusiame, as well as just having a great time with your bro or else.
Catching bugs, look at birds..are the ones that annoys me the most, but then..also easy to do. Bugs takes more time, as your sim must catch one to furfill this want. Then again, I can send that sim who wish to catch a bug, to play with his bro..and he probably will replace that want with..tell inside joke to bro, or win a game against bro etc.

It is annoying, but quite manageable.

Je mange des girafes et je parle aussi français !...surtout :0)

Find all my old MTS Uploads, on my SFS, And all new uploads Here . :)
Meet Me In My Next Life
Original Poster
#25 Old 16th May 2016 at 8:12 PM
@ gummilutt Well maybe this is wishful thinking, is it possible or "maybe" just maybe since you have been during some modding that perhaps you can come up with a mod to control the hobbies want ?
Not to take it away completely, but where the player can maybe control the wants or assign a want to the Sims that a player would want then to have. I just added FT to my game recently so I am still
learning the in & out. But I do notice it seem that if Sims play music then a game, well two popup comes up trying to push them toward both directions of those hobbies. It's confusing to me how to play that.

Page 1 of 3