Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 3rd Aug 2016 at 10:23 PM Last edited by kakeru_naruse : 16th Apr 2020 at 9:47 PM. Reason: Made thread more organized and fixed bbcode issues
Default The Decades Challenge -REBOOTED-
This challenge was originally made by ZombieCleo, in which you can find their challenge here. This is not my challenge. I've only reimagined it so it will be more historically accurate. Most of these points and rules were written by ZombieCleo.

EDIT!!!!
A Youtuber by the name of CuteCoffeeGal has created her own version of the Decades Challenge based on mine and ZombieCleo's. She has updated it to include nearly all expansion packs. It's very comprehensive. THIS IS THE LINK. I will not be making any changes to this anymore. Please do remember that ultimately this is your game and you can change the rules of my/her challenge to fit your game

Edit #2 (4/16/2020): Changed some terminology and cleaned the doc up in general.

The Decades Challenge starts all the way in the 1890s, where everything smelled like crap and people didn't have indoor plumbing. This challenge is inspired and set in the supposed land of the free, also known as the United States of America.

There are a lot of rules in this game. In each decade, they are listed by importance. The first rule is the most important or one of the most important rules and WILL affect gameplay. The last rule is generally a very minor detail that will not affect game play.

SET UP
The Sims
1. YA or older
2. No restrictions on CAS (however, dressing them up in the appropriate decade clothes is recommended)
3. If you choose to make 2 sims, they must be married or they're going to get married.

Housing and Funds
1. Starter money only (16k)
2. Buy any land/house with it
3. You can import a house from the gallery, but only if you can afford it
4. You can start by living in an apartment, HOWEVER, when you get married and have kids, you MUST move out. (Apartments were not idealistic places for families in the 1890s, as they were reserved for the single and working.)

1890s - The Turn of the 19th Century
1. Only male heirs are allowed. If there are no boys, then a woman's husband may inherit.
2. Sims may only have a relationship and marry with the opposite gender.
3. Sims may only marry within their own ethnicity/race.
4. Sims must only "Try for Baby" and never "Woohoo."
5. Teenage sims cannot "Mess Around"
6. No electricity. Use candles or lanterns to light up the house.
7. Women take care of the children, tidy the house, and cook. They can help tidy the garden, and go jogging for fun.
8. Men can only have the Entertainer, Doctor or Criminal career. If otherwise, men can choose to stay home and make money through woodworking, painting, and gardening. You can open a retail store or a restaurant, only if you have enough money.
9. Sims cannot get a divorce unless one of them commits adultery (in this case, flirting with another sim in front of the spouse).
10. If a woman becomes widowed, then she may earn money through painting, gardening, or woodworking. If she becomes divorced, then she can earn money through the Entertainer career.
11. Elementary is mandatory, but high school is optional.
12. High School has a fee. It costs §1000 for every teenager going to school.
13. University is OK. You might want to install a mod to reduce the amount of credits needed to graduate university university to match up with the game time. Student loans are not allowed but scholarships are.
14. Female children move out once they are married.
15. OPTIONAL: I'd recommend downloading a teenage pregnancy/marriage mod (or some other mod that just has teenage pregnancy/marriage embanked in it) since women generally married and had children before the age of 20.
16. Your sims cannot go to festivals or events (City Living).
17. Cell Phones are only allowed to invite people over to your house or to travel.
18. Only bathtubs. No showers.
19. Outside toilets only.
20. OPTIONAL: For more realistic details, don't use any of the glass roofs.
21. Only wooden furniture is allowed in the house
22. Wooden floors and walls. No drywall or wallpaper.
23. Buy the cheapest/oldest stoves, fridges, counters, etc. No other kitchen appliances are allowed besides the stove and fridge.
24. Only impressionist or classic paintings are allowed to be hung. Kid's drawings can only be hung in the kid's rooms.
25. If your sims get sick, you can't give them medicine. You have to cure them through natural remedies.
26. Your sims may not throw any events besides weddings.
27. Every child born during this decade must be born at home. They can only be fed through breastfeeding and not by bottle.
28. If your family can afford it, then you may hire a butler or maid. However, you cannot hire a Nanny.
29. Also, you probably want to start working on a cowplant in this decade.

1900s - "The Greatest" Generation
1. Sims may now have the following careers, as well as the ones listed above: Business (Management), Culinary (Chef), and Musician Career.
2. Women who are widowed or divorced may not work in the Business, Culinary, or Musician Career. They can only work as what is listed in the 1890's decades.
3. You can now have electricity, but only in the form of lamps. Indoor plumbing is now allowed. No showers, only bath tubs.
4. OPTIONAL: Cheapest computer may be bought, but your sims can only use it for writing. 5. Playing games/browsing web/etc. is NOT allowed.
6. Your house can now have wallpaper.
7. The phonograph is now available for music.
8. Your sims can now go on vacation.
9. By the end of this decade, you will need a cowplant.

As you guys can see, the lists are very long. A lot of the rules are trivial and flexible details that are generally looked over. So even if the set of rules seem long and limiting, most of them don't majorly affect gameplay.

I've tried my best to make this list historically accurate as possible, but I did rearrange some things to make the challenge less tedious. Indoor plumbing wasn't really a thing until the 1930s - but it'd be kind of difficult and angering to separate the house and the bathroom for 4 decades.

TO WIN: Your must get your family through all the decades/generations.

If anybody has any suggestions/corrections for the already super long list, then please tell me them. I would really appreciate it!
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 8th Aug 2016 at 11:52 PM
Great Job!
I'm just confused on scores.
I'll think of a score to be overcome
Sorry for my english!
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 9th Aug 2016 at 8:43 PM
In the 1920s, early form of birthcontrol was made, so something like half of the woohoo could just be woohoo. Sleeping around was also more common in the 20s, after the first war. Indoor plumbing and lighting really wouldn't be in 'low-class' homes until the 30s, at least.

I think I'll try it, but I'll try and stick to history a bit more. History is just one of my favorite subjects, so I want to play it as historically accurate as I can.
Test Subject
#4 Old 10th Aug 2016 at 5:35 PM
I'll try this as soon as I finish my current challenges!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 21st Aug 2016 at 5:38 PM
Quote: Originally posted by GothicGorilla
In the 1920s, early form of birthcontrol was made, so something like half of the woohoo could just be woohoo. Sleeping around was also more common in the 20s, after the first war. Indoor plumbing and lighting really wouldn't be in 'low-class' homes until the 30s, at least.

I think I'll try it, but I'll try and stick to history a bit more. History is just one of my favorite subjects, so I want to play it as historically accurate as I can.

Haha, I agree with you. History is definitely one of my favorite subjects! And I tried my best to be historically accurate as possible yet still trying to keep a fun atmosphere to the game. I actually rearranged a few things around, especially in the earlier decades because I didn't want the challenge to be so tedious. Imagine your sims running out of the house and running into a separate building just to pee for 4 decades lol
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 21st Aug 2016 at 10:25 PM
Quote: Originally posted by kakeru_naruse
Haha, I agree with you. History is definitely one of my favorite subjects! And I tried my best to be historically accurate as possible yet still trying to keep a fun atmosphere to the game. I actually rearranged a few things around, especially in the earlier decades because I didn't want the challenge to be so tedious. Imagine your sims running out of the house and running into a separate building just to pee for 4 decades lol

It might be tedious, but I don't mind, lol.
Field Researcher
#7 Old 8th Nov 2016 at 1:28 AM Last edited by DitzyEkko : 11th Nov 2016 at 9:31 PM.
Default The Clayton Family
I've decided that each sim day is a year so I'm flying through the decades.

My starting couple (John & Mary Clayton) married in 1890. Their son William was born about 3 years later, followed by twin girls Anna & Alice, and a final daughter Helen. The kids' births took up the whole 1890s. Helen was born in 1901. The 1900s were pretty uneventful, the Claytons grew a cowplant and a few other plants and John was promoted enough to have to choose between the comedian and musician branches of the entertainment career. Just as they entered the 1910s, William married Bridget Starkey. She announced her pregnancy just before John and William left for war. Eldest daughter Anna married Kevin Ames and moved in with his family. Mary discovered her own late pregnancy just after. During my first "war roll", both men lived . Bridget and William's first child is a little girl named Dorothy. Mary gave birth to her and John's 5th child, whom she named after herself Mary Clayton. I waited two days and rolled again for each of the men. John and William both died. I let William live long enough to accompany his father's body back (and visit with his wife & young daughter). Bridget became pregnant again and William was killed in action. Bridget gave birth to a son that she named after her late husband. Alice met an older gentleman who was very well off and married him. Arian & Alice Redkey live across town in a large house and are expecting their first child. Mary found love and security again with bachelor Travis Scott. Travis loves children and was excited to start his new life with a large family already intact. Of course, Travis also had to serve his country and did not get to spend much time with his new wife or stepchildren before leaving for war. Luckily, he left with good news - he was going to have a child of his own by the time he got back. Unfortunately, this tour was devastating to the Clayton/Scott family. Mary lost her new husband Travis and Anna lost her teenage husband Kevin Ames and her father-in-law Erich Ames. Alice's husband is spared from serving due to his age. Mary and Alice both give birth to sons. Mary's is her 2nd husband Travis Scott's only child, Travis Jr. Alice's is her & her husband Arian's 1st child, John. Bridget (William's widow) marries Malcolm Landgraab, a wealthy landowner, & Helen marries Malcolm's younger brother Ryan. Bridget & Malcolm are already expecting a child together.

John William & Mary Anna Sherman Clayton
children:
1. William James married Bridget Holly Starkey - 2 children (Dorothy Ann & William Jr. Clayton)
2. Anna Margaret married Kevin Erich Ames - 1 daughter (Margaret Alice Ames)
3. Alice Marie married Arian Redkey - 1 son (John Arian Redkey)
4. Helen Ruth married Ryan Landgraab - 0 children
5. Mary Sherman (child)
grandchildren:
1. Dorothy Ann Clayton (child)
2. William James Clayton Jr (child)
3. Margaret Alice Ames (child)
4. John Arian Redkey (infant)

Travis & Mary Anna Sherman Scott
children:
1. Travis Scott, Jr (infant)

Check out my Apocalypse Challenge attempt @ ditzyekko.blogspot.com
Instructor
#8 Old 9th Nov 2016 at 10:31 PM
Just started this challenge yesterday, for the first decade can't the man also be in the medical career if u have GTW because being a doctor or surgeon was a well known profession back then?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 11th Dec 2016 at 10:19 PM
Quote: Originally posted by littlesunshine123xx
Just started this challenge yesterday, for the first decade can't the man also be in the medical career if u have GTW because being a doctor or surgeon was a well known profession back then?

Yes, definitely! I kind of forgot about GTW careers when I was writing this haha.
Test Subject
#10 Old 24th Mar 2017 at 10:12 AM
I love this idea. I would also like to see someone throw in the extra hardships different minorities went through in each era, since white people had it a lot easier than black, hispanic, asian, native american, and other minorities.
Mad Poster
#11 Old 24th Mar 2017 at 9:59 PM
Just wondering, is it okay shuffle the rules around a bit? Like, say the
1. All males who are teenagers, young adults, adults, or who become teenagers during this decade will have to "leave for war."
and the
4. Your sims can now "Woohoo". They do not have to "Try for Baby" every time.
rules were to be ignored, the
1. Homosexual marriage is now allowed.
were to be moved to the 2000s and the
7. Computers are now allowed for gaming.
rule were to be moved to the 1980s?

This is a challenge I'd probably pick up on, but I'd have to make it a bit more historically accurate for myself first.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Test Subject
#12 Old 28th Mar 2017 at 1:17 PM
When do you progress to the next time period?
Scholar
#13 Old 30th Mar 2017 at 1:23 AM
Quote: Originally posted by djayk85
When do you progress to the next time period?

I'm using 20 days to a decade. YMMV [Your Mileage May Vary]...

I worked it out thusly:
- Assuming that somebody was born at the start of a decade, they would be 10 years old at the close of that decade.
- Ergo, in Sim-time, when a Sim is roughly 3/4 of the way through the Child Stage, they would be 10 years old.
- So then I consulted the Sims Wikia - Life Stages page and worked out a formula using the Normal Lifespan numbers (because that's what I play with)

Baby (3 days) + Toddler (7 days) + 3/4 Child (10/13 days) = 10 years = 20 days
Scholar
#14 Old 31st Mar 2017 at 12:46 AM
Okay, so I've been happily playing away for the last little while. Because of how I'm working my decades, I'm still in the early stages of Generation 1, but I've reached the 1900s. (I'm not bothering with the whole cowplant business: MC Command Centre has a "kill them" function, so I'm going to use that for the wartime decades.)

Highlights of the Generation:
1890: Ingram and Caroline Spence marry. They've moved into a little cottage in the countryside. Ingram is a small-time criminal in nearby Windenburg.
1892: Ruby Spence is born.
1894: Cecil Spence is born. The family cottage suffers a minor kitchen fire which guts their stove.
1897: Marylou Spence is born.
1899: Jasper and Clyde Spence are born.

Total Points for 1890s: 60

We are currently in the year 1901, and Caroline has one more bun in the oven that she doesn't know about yet. The irony of all this is... both she and Ingram have the "Hates Children" trait. Ingram is Unflirty and Clumsy, and Caroline is a Dance Machine and Evil. Both of the eldest children have randomly rolled "Good" and "Social Butterfly" for their childhood aspiration and trait. XD
Scholar
#15 Old 2nd Apr 2017 at 2:45 AM
So, we've reached the tail end of 1909 in the Spence household:

Highlights of the Generation:
1903: Rosemary Spence is born.
1905: Ruby left school upon reaching adolescence, achieving a B-average.
1907: Ingram joined the upper echelons of the crime ring, reaching the beginning of the Criminal (Boss) path. Cecil's tuition was paid through, so he is now attending high school.
1908: Ruby has begun courting Alonso Caliente. (We're hoping the wedding bells might happen any day now...)

Total (current) Points for 1900s: 80

Current Spence Family Tree:
1) Ingram + Caroline Spence
2) Ruby Spence
2) Cecil Spence (H)
2) Marylou Spence
2) Jasper Spence
2) Clyde Spence
2) Rosemary Spence
Test Subject
#16 Old 2nd Apr 2017 at 4:36 AM
LOVING this challenge! I created a challenge myself and once I win mine, I will do this!
Lab Assistant
#17 Old 6th Apr 2017 at 2:02 AM
Quote: Originally posted by ForeverCamp
The irony of all this is... both she and Ingram have the "Hates Children" trait. Ingram is Unflirty and Clumsy, and Caroline is a Dance Machine and Evil. Both of the eldest children have randomly rolled "Good" and "Social Butterfly" for their childhood aspiration and trait. XD

You shouldn't mistreat your sims like that. And that XD? It's not funny!
Test Subject
#18 Old 12th Apr 2017 at 11:16 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ForeverCamp
I'm using 20 days to a decade. YMMV [Your Mileage May Vary]...

I worked it out thusly:
- Assuming that somebody was born at the start of a decade, they would be 10 years old at the close of that decade.
- Ergo, in Sim-time, when a Sim is roughly 3/4 of the way through the Child Stage, they would be 10 years old.
- So then I consulted the Sims Wikia - Life Stages page and worked out a formula using the Normal Lifespan numbers (because that's what I play with)

Baby (3 days) + Toddler (7 days) + 3/4 Child (10/13 days) = 10 years = 20 days

Argh! I started playing before you had posted this, and im horrible at figuring this out! I think I'm still in the 1890s...
So, I'm just assuming that the first kid, Monique, was born at the beginning of 1890s (Thought that would be an easy way to start off with...) Anyway, when it comes to the rest, I'm SO lost....maybe you can help me with this evil math

So, I have Monique born in 1890...
Monique = 9/13
Emmalyn = 5/13
Ashleigh = 2/13
Twins, Damian and Melody = 3/7
And baby Fernando = 1/3

please help me, How do I figure this out!
Scholar
#19 Old 16th Apr 2017 at 1:12 AM
Quote: Originally posted by SteampunkPrincess
Argh! I started playing before you had posted this, and im horrible at figuring this out! I think I'm still in the 1890s...
So, I'm just assuming that the first kid, Monique, was born at the beginning of 1890s (Thought that would be an easy way to start off with...) Anyway, when it comes to the rest, I'm SO lost....maybe you can help me with this evil math

So, I have Monique born in 1890...
Monique = 9/13
Emmalyn = 5/13
Ashleigh = 2/13
Twins, Damian and Melody = 3/7
And baby Fernando = 1/3

please help me, How do I figure this out!

Urgh, math.
So, nearest that I can figure out (because it is tough to calculate after the fact), your family is currently in the last half of 1901. Basically, the way I play, I assign two days to every year, and I just religiously keep track of the years as I play.

Here goes (I might be a smidgen off on the days, since it all depends on the hour the kid was born and such):
Early 1890 (Sunday) - Monique is born.
Early 1892 (Thursday) - Monique grows to toddler; Emmalyn is born.
Early 1894 (Monday): Emmalyn grows to toddler; Ashleigh is born.
Early 1896 (Sunday): Monique grows to child; Ashleigh grows to toddler.
Late 1897 (Wednesday): Damian and Melody are born.
Early 1898 (Thursday): Emmalyn grows to child.
Late 1899 (Sunday): Damian and Melody grow to toddler.
Early 1900 (Monday): Ashleigh grows to child.
Early 1901 (Wednesday): Fernando is born.

Assuming that your household is currently sitting in a Thursday, my timeline ought to be reasonably accurate.
Lab Assistant
#20 Old 18th Apr 2017 at 11:15 AM
I'll try it
Scholar
#21 Old 29th Apr 2017 at 3:52 AM
Quote: Originally posted by letitgo1776
You shouldn't mistreat your sims like that. And that XD? It's not funny!

No, mistreating my Sims is the fact every last son died in World War I. Cecil made it all the way to 1917.

Highlights of the 1900s-1910s:
1909: Rosemary grew into a child. Marylou grew into a teen and dropped out of school with a B average.
Total points for the 1900s: 85
1910: Alonso and Ruby were married (Ruby @ 18 years old).
1911: Caroline and Ingram became elders. Marylou began stepping out with Stefan Dawkins. (She's somewhat morally questionable, that one...)
1912: Jasper and Clyde grew to teens with a B and a C average. Both dropped out of school and began working as manual laborers. Ruby became a young adult and had her daughter Pearl. Stefan and Marylou had to have a shotgun wedding (Marylou was 15 years old).
1913: Caroline and Ingram both died of "ill health" (overexertion).
1914: World War I begins and all young men over 16 are conscripted into service. Cecil grew into a young adult and went off to war at age 20, along with his brothers-in-law Stefan (27) and Alonso (31). Marylou had her son Stefan Dawkins Jr., and Pearl Caliente grew into a toddler.
Alonso and Stefan are both killed in action.
1915: Jasper and Clyde are conscripted into service at 16 years old. Rosemary is sent to live with Ruby and Pearl.
Jasper is killed in action.
1916: Rosemary becomes a teen with a B average, and begins her high school studies. Stefan Jr. grows into a toddler, and Marylou remarries to Alton Caliente.
Clyde is killed in action.
1917: Currently in progress.
Cecil, the only remaining son, is killed in action.
The inheritance transfers to Stefan Dawkins Jr. as the nearest living male relative.

Current Family Tree:
Ingram and Caroline Spence
Alonso and Ruby Caliente
Pearl Caliente
Cecil Spence
Stefan and Marylou Dawkins (Alton Caliente)
Stefan Dawkins Jr. (H)
Jasper Spence
Clyde Spence
Rosemary Spence
Test Subject
#22 Old 3rd May 2017 at 7:39 PM
Love this challange. Do any of you guys know of any working teen pregnancy/marriage mods? Can't find anyone!
Scholar
#23 Old 6th May 2017 at 2:05 AM
Quote: Originally posted by SignoraTed
Love this challange. Do any of you guys know of any working teen pregnancy/marriage mods? Can't find anyone!

I'm using deaderpool's MC Command Centre. It was on MTS, but has since moved to its own Tumblr.
Test Subject
#24 Old 11th May 2017 at 9:00 PM
How do you know when one decade is done?
Lab Assistant
#25 Old 6th Jun 2017 at 3:14 PM
Nice history challenge, nice pics also.
i would add 1890 and before, on houses far from city, where all where gossip and censure, not so easy to be free this times, so women can work on farms, fishing, on wood carvings, and any fabric craft in many ways, doing clothes, wool crochet etc. and painting, writing, also they use exchangeing goods to make his money rise. at rural markets or door by door. while man go on harder works, cutting woods, starting factories near or far from home and at wars.
there is a mod to not use pc, notebook http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=545512 i think still work.
Page 1 of 4