Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Tool to work with UI textures - new version 8/17/16

by CmarNYC Posted 10th Aug 2016 at 4:15 PM - Updated 18th Aug 2016 at 12:09 AM by CmarNYC : New version upload

50 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 43 Feedback Posts, 6 Thanks Posts
Thanks are currently OFF: Show Thanks Posts for this thread
Page 1 of 3
Mad Poster
#2 Old 10th Aug 2016 at 10:02 PM
Interesting. I may have to take a look at this. I have been bugged by the missing bridges on the Newcrest map as of late.

My deviantART, MTS Yearbook Origin ID = Alistu
Mad Poster
THANKS POST
#3 Old 10th Aug 2016 at 10:06 PM
Nifty tool, will have to check this out, thanks. I like the idea of a Monster Kitty invasion of Willow Creek!
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
Original Poster
#4 Old 10th Aug 2016 at 10:53 PM
Thanks! I have thoughts of Nessie rising from the water, or a New York or Tokyo skyline complete with King Kong or Godzilla. But there's a lot more in the UI package than maps, of course.

Please do not PM me with mod, tutorial, or general modding questions or problems; post them in the thread for the mod or tutorial or post them in the appropriate forum.

Visit my blogs for other Sims content:
Online Sims - general mods for Sims 3
Offline Sims - adult mods for Sims 3 and Sims 4
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 10th Aug 2016 at 11:07 PM
so it is a converter?
so I still need to find the texture first?
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
Original Poster
#6 Old 11th Aug 2016 at 12:06 AM Last edited by CmarNYC : 14th Aug 2016 at 6:56 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by DevX
so it is a converter?
so I still need to find the texture first?

Yes, you still need to search the package for the texture, probably using s4pe. It gives a useful preview which is in YCoCg color space so the colors look strange, but they're still fairly recognizable.

Please do not PM me with mod, tutorial, or general modding questions or problems; post them in the thread for the mod or tutorial or post them in the appropriate forum.

Mad Poster
#7 Old 11th Aug 2016 at 3:05 PM Last edited by Menaceman44 : 14th Aug 2016 at 6:51 PM.
You should be able to find the textures with s4studio as well. The only problem is they all look grey until you get them into your image editor.

Test Subject
#8 Old 17th Aug 2016 at 5:55 PM

Quote: Originally posted by CmarNYC
Yes, you still need to search the package for the texture, probably using s4pe. It gives a useful preview which is in YCoCg color space so the colors look strange, but they're still fairly recognizable.

When importing quality is lost ((((
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
Original Poster
#9 Old 17th Aug 2016 at 11:54 PM
Something was wrong in the compression which I think I was able to fix - this image looks better now after editing, so please download V1.2 and give it another try.

Screenshots

Test Subject
#10 Old 18th Aug 2016 at 12:05 AM
Something was wrong in the compression which I think I was able to fix - this image looks better now after editing, so please download V1.2 and give it another try.

Where can I download v1.2?
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
Original Poster
#11 Old 18th Aug 2016 at 12:11 AM
Quote: Originally posted by katya4Sim
Where can I download v1.2?

From here. You looked too fast - took me a few minutes to get it packaged up and uploaded.

Test Subject
#12 Old 29th Oct 2016 at 10:41 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Menaceman44
You should be able to find the textures with s4studio as well. The only problem is they all look grey until you get them into your image editor.

where do i find the textures?
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#13 Old 30th Oct 2016 at 4:47 AM
Thanks
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#14 Old 5th Jan 2017 at 10:35 PM Last edited by r17sims : 6th Jan 2017 at 5:00 AM.
Hi! This is fantastic, thank you so much! :)

Uh, question, though: How should I package ui mods made with this? Tutorials seem to suggest that creating packages is different for different mod types, but I can't find anything else.
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
Original Poster
#15 Old 10th Jan 2017 at 7:25 AM
Quote: Originally posted by r17sims
Hi! This is fantastic, thank you so much!

Uh, question, though: How should I package ui mods made with this? Tutorials seem to suggest that creating packages is different for different mod types, but I can't find anything else.

You should just put the modified images in a package and install it like any other mod.

Test Subject
#16 Old 20th Jun 2018 at 2:37 PM
Default Issue with the Squasher
I'm having some trouble with this program. I edited the worlds loading screen to have a darker background. I had it working for the previous patch, but when I try to turn my new edited png into the two endcoded dds files, I end up with a funky red bar in an area I did not edit.

The edited portion of the png is circled in red.

However when I run the squasher on this image, the larger dds does not come out correctly.

On the left is the unedited image and the edited image is on the right. The little square I darkened does change color correctly, but the bottom of the image has a huge area of red it should not have.

What's going on here?
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
Original Poster
#17 Old 20th Jun 2018 at 9:34 PM
Quote: Originally posted by xsuddenxdelugex
I'm having some trouble with this program. I edited the worlds loading screen to have a darker background. I had it working for the previous patch, but when I try to turn my new edited png into the two endcoded dds files, I end up with a funky red bar in an area I did not edit.

However when I run the squasher on this image, the larger dds does not come out correctly.

On the left is the unedited image and the edited image is on the right. The little square I darkened does change color correctly, but the bottom of the image has a huge area of red it should not have.

What's going on here?

Please upload the original and edited png images.

Test Subject
#18 Old 20th Jun 2018 at 11:06 PM
Please upload the original and edited png images.

Here they are! https://imgur.com/a/7pCNGG2
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
Original Poster
#19 Old 21st Jun 2018 at 9:58 AM
Quote: Originally posted by xsuddenxdelugex
Here they are! https://imgur.com/a/7pCNGG2

That area is in the RGB of your edited image but you can't see it because of the alpha transparency. In GIMP I can do an Add Layer Mask to the layer, Transfer layer's alpha channel, and Disable Layer Mask to be able to see it. How it got there I have no idea. It probably makes no real difference to how the image looks in game since that area is transparent, but if it bothers you IMO your best option is to start over and make sure not to change anything that's hidden by the alpha.
Screenshots

Test Subject
#20 Old 21st Jun 2018 at 3:18 PM Last edited by xsuddenxdelugex : 21st Jun 2018 at 6:54 PM.
That area is in the RGB of your edited image but you can't see it because of the alpha transparency. In GIMP I can do an Add Layer Mask to the layer, Transfer layer's alpha channel, and Disable Layer Mask to be able to see it. How it got there I have no idea. It probably makes no real difference to how the image looks in game since that area is transparent, but if it bothers you IMO your best option is to start over and make sure not to change anything that's hidden by the alpha.

Hmmmm. The problem is when I load the default replacement images into my game, everything that should be transparent has a red or purple underlay to it. The main loading screen that I replaced before Seasons is showing up dark blue, but the World Selection screen is now red, even though I have edited it to be dark blue. It seems like the issues must be connected.

Edit: I remade the package and it seems to be the package not the images causing the issue. Thanks for your help!
Screenshots
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
Original Poster
#21 Old 21st Jun 2018 at 7:16 PM
Glad you got it working. EA seems to have changed something in the Seasons patch that is affecting this - definitely they changed some instance IDs, and I tried an old Willow Creek replacement that used to work and it made my game crash. I can see inside the image files that the encoding looks somewhat different although the images look exactly the same. But when I extracted the new EA files and modified the image with the tool, it works. So I'm not sure what changed.

Mad Poster
#22 Old 21st Jun 2018 at 11:17 PM
The Jungle Adventure patch changed all of the map IDs. I had to remake all of my default map overrides after the patch released.

Ms. Byte (Deceased)
Original Poster
#23 Old 22nd Jun 2018 at 12:23 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Menaceman44
The Jungle Adventure patch changed all of the map IDs. I had to remake all of my default map overrides after the patch released.

Thanks for that info.

Test Subject
#24 Old 25th Jun 2019 at 1:22 PM
Hey!
First of all thanks a lot for the amazing tool!

I've been using your tool a lot for personal use.

And recently I've noticed some ''slight issues'' when converting the files. I'm working on custom wrench icons and no matter what I do, I cannot get rid off the shadow squares around the traits area. They aren't that visible on darker or custom background but quite visible on EAs light blue area, example: https://imgur.com/a/f7xh7Le

All my pictures are transparent and on spot. Is it possible that the converting/compression process is doing this?
I really don't know what else could be causing it.
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
Original Poster
#25 Old 25th Jun 2019 at 2:13 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Xhallie
Hey!
First of all thanks a lot for the amazing tool!

I've been using your tool a lot for personal use.

And recently I've noticed some ''slight issues'' when converting the files. I'm working on custom wrench icons and no matter what I do, I cannot get rid off the shadow squares around the traits area. They aren't that visible on darker or custom background but quite visible on EAs light blue area, example: https://imgur.com/a/f7xh7Le

All my pictures are transparent and on spot. Is it possible that the converting/compression process is doing this?
I really don't know what else could be causing it.

First, are you using the latest version, 1.2? There was a bug in the original program that caused loss of quality. If that's not the problem, please upload the original DDS files and your edited version.

Page 1 of 3