Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 26th Sep 2016 at 9:59 PM
Default Naming your baby Sims
How do you decide on names for your baby Sims that are born in-game, either by your own Sims or the premade ones?

Myself, I like to use name generators. This one (it's a link) in particular is a favourite, as I can pick between various nationalities and put in a surname to see how the names match up. I have an entire bunch of them though, so I'll paste some links at the end of this post.

Though sometimes I go with puns (e.g. Glass Beaker) or theme naming (the Ottomas quads are all named after flowers, and Dina Caliente's daughter is 'Gina').

Anyways, here's my list of name generators:

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 26th Sep 2016 at 10:08 PM
I use Hook's Random Stuff generator, available at MATY. Put all the names you want into it, plus other things...

Receptacle Refugee & Resident Polar Bear
"Get out of my way, young'un, I'm a ninja!"
Grave Matters: The funeral podium is available here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/e6tj...albits.zip/file
My other downloads are here: https://app.mediafire.com/myfiles
Link Ninja
#3 Old 26th Sep 2016 at 10:09 PM
Most of the times I think of names I really like that I would use if I could have a hundred + kids (I never WOULD) and haven't used yet. If I want to find a new one I just browse 'baby names.com'

This is kind of risky however because in my lifetime some of my boyfriends-at-the-time got a little freaked out if they see babynames.com pulled up on my screen when they walked by.

Some exceptions:

1. If they are twins, I go for rhyme or alliteration names.
2. If the family has a set naming theme (like music terms or plants)
3. If the family is an older one with a legacy I will usually re-use prominent names from generations before.
4. If I am using the family to mimic some real life families that I admire I will name them after the real family members.

Uh oh! My social bar is low - that's why I posted today.

The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#4 Old 26th Sep 2016 at 10:15 PM
I go with whatever I think is right. I like puns and word-play names too though not all sims have them. With Polgannon though I used Cornish historical/language sites to find the names.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Inventor
#5 Old 26th Sep 2016 at 10:23 PM
Using my strategy of nicknaming Pokemon in my games, I just choose a name that seems to fit best with the newborn Sim's personality as well as what type of family they're in.

A good example of a nickname for a Pokemon I did recently was when I caught a shiny Psyduck in my White 2 version and simply named him Blue. Here's a link on Serebii to clear some minds.

http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-bw/054.shtml

By the way, that was a pun because Psyduck constantly suffers a massive headache.

Anyhoo, when I was trying to figure out what to name Frank's new baby either way, I ultimately figured out to name the kid after an astrological sign, planet, constellation, etc. My first thought for a girl's name was Andromeda and I could not get Scorpio off my mind for a boy. That's what Draco Malfoy named his son towards the conclusion of the Harry Potter series. Yet, you peeps know I decided on "Venus" for the new girl.
Field Researcher
#6 Old 26th Sep 2016 at 10:34 PM
I generally chose names myself, rather than randomise them. I'm the kind of simmer who plans out details like that before the babies are even conceived
I will most likely name them according to what I think their parents would name them - obviously, an arty, nature obsessed sim is going to have different naming ideas than a posh, snobby sim. I often find a lot of names through googling things like 'hippie baby names', 'nature boys names', 'old fashioned girls names' etc.
However, I often have sims who aren't extreme like that and then I just pick whatever I like. I use this list very often. Also really like this website. I have such fun naming my lil nooboos, it's one of my favourite parts of sim pregnancy. :lovestruc
#7 Old 26th Sep 2016 at 10:43 PM
They stay as Baby Boy or Baby girl until toddler hood and I get a sense of their personality to pick a suitable name. Nothing worse than naming a sim a strong sensible name only to have the personality be the exact opposite of the intended name.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#8 Old 26th Sep 2016 at 10:47 PM Last edited by ihatemandatoryregister : 27th Sep 2016 at 3:21 AM. Reason: wording
Quote: Originally posted by kamoodle5
Using my strategy of nicknaming Pokemon in my games, I just choose a name that seems to fit best with the newborn Sim's personality as well as what type of family they're in.

A good example of a nickname for a Pokemon I did recently was when I caught a shiny Psyduck in my White 2 version and simply named him Blue. Here's a link on Serebii to clear some minds.

http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-bw/054.shtml

By the way, that was a pun because Psyduck constantly suffers a massive headache.

Here's a story for you: In Pokemon Yellow, I'd caught both Nidorans. (For those that are unaware, there were no genders in the first generation, so the male and female Nidorans are actually separate species and evolve into different Pokemon). I wanted to name them Jack and Jill, but mixed them up. So the 'male' Nidoran was Jill, and the 'female' one Jack. It was so funny that I kept it.

In Pokemon White, I also have a Trubbish (trash bag Pokemon, aka literal garbage) named Hillary. If it had been male, I would have named it Donald.

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Top Secret Researcher
#9 Old 26th Sep 2016 at 10:55 PM
@Charmful, your comment reminded me of the time my husband asked me why in the world I own a baby name book lol!
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#10 Old 26th Sep 2016 at 11:19 PM
I look at what the parents names are and their last name since some first and last names don't go together. I also think about what sim nation they be from so some babies will be given a name from overseas. I also look at their income bracket and personality. Some families like my author use names that go with their job such as authors names, one family has unique names, the farming family has very ordinary names. After that I Google.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Scholar
#11 Old 26th Sep 2016 at 11:51 PM
One time I almost named a child Bottom Text.
Top Secret Researcher
#12 Old 26th Sep 2016 at 11:51 PM
My first thought is what the Sim parents would name their child. Sometimes I have a clear idea, like hippy parents or snooty parents, but sometimes I don't and just go with a name I like. I love nameberry.com and now i'm on nymbler that ourladyplumbob linked and enjoying it :D

I also own a baby name book that is beside me lol

My Simblr
He/They
Alchemist
#13 Old 26th Sep 2016 at 11:58 PM
If they have other kids, and I can't think of a name, I'll put the siblings' names in Nymbler, then choose one of the options it suggests. Otherwise, I choose at random or name it after a relative.
Field Researcher
#14 Old 27th Sep 2016 at 12:25 AM
I just tend to pick a letter of the alphabet and surf through the names of this website using the advanced search or use the random name feature.

Cove Family (ts4 family tree)
Test Subject
#15 Old 27th Sep 2016 at 12:54 AM
I've checked out baby name books from the library before, and then had to explain that no, I wasn't expecting, it's just for "research."

I also try to pick names that I think fit the parents' personalities. So, a book loving, Knowledge sim might name her kids after Shakespeare characters or famous authors.
Forum Resident
#16 Old 27th Sep 2016 at 1:03 AM
Sometimes I have specific names in mind. Other times I go to SSA.gov, pick a year and look at the 10-20th most popular ranking and just grab one. For when I just want "a name, any name" but can only call the same dozen names to mind over and over again. Obviously not suited to players who want to choose a specfic nationality for their name.
Mad Poster
#17 Old 27th Sep 2016 at 1:24 AM
I use heirloom names mostly. The first child of a couple has the first name of the last name that was changed when they wed. This usually happens when the couple isn't married as well, so the kid isn't named the same thing as his father. Then I look through the genealogy of the family and start with the oldest recorded, working my way down. If a come to the name of a relative who is still alive on another lot, I use that name but select another to go with it, like Bobbie Sue for example. I also use ss.gov. Sometimes if I'm watching something on television, I'll snatch one of the names from on there. I also use birthstones and flowers for names, as well as biblical ones.

"Fear not little flock, for it hath pleased your Father to give you a kingdom". Luke 12:32 Chris Hatch's family friendly files archived on SFS: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=603534 . Bulbizarre's website: https://archiveofourown.org/users/C...CoveredPortals/
Field Researcher
#18 Old 27th Sep 2016 at 1:24 AM
I usually just look up their family trees and name after grandparents, great-grandparents, or any other deceased family members. Sometimes I use a variation. For example, When Daniel Pleasant knocks up the maid and they have a girl, I name her Diana after Daniel's mother Diane. Sometimes it can be a little more random, like when Nina Caliente had boy/girl twins (w/o hacks btw, I thought it was so cool at the time since I have yet to have another couple do the same!), I just thought of other N names for them.
Mad Poster
#19 Old 27th Sep 2016 at 1:38 AM
Who doesn't have baby name books on hand? They're a basic reference, like dictionaries and atlases.

If there's a pun to be made, go for it. Otherwise, it's all characterization of the parent.
Feminine forms of fathers' names and masculine forms of mothers' are good. So are mother's maiden name, recently-deceased family members, and friends who were a big help during the pregnancy. A silly sim will give silly names. A stodgy sim will give boring names. A scientist may name children after scientists in the same field. An artist may use an artisitically resonant name. Altamira is a good girl's name and is also a prehistoric painted cave, for example.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Scholar
#20 Old 27th Sep 2016 at 1:47 AM
In my first game, I used a baby-name book and named them alphabetically, starting with the letter after whatever the mother's name began with. Now I usually look at the parents' family trees and name the kids after their grandparents or great-grandparents; I might anglicize the name, though, so Ophelia named her daughters Katie and Leah after her grandmothers Hecate and Lerato. Sometimes I'll use the mother's maiden name, or a name similar to it, for the first child. Occasionally, I just have a name in mind that I really want to use with that particular surname, or I'll use the baby-name book or a website for a name from a particular language.

Otherwise, I keep a list of names taken from books I'm reading, and if I don't have a specific plan for the child's name, I just take the next name off the list (unless it really doesn't go with the surname; then I just skip to the one after that).
Mad Poster
#21 Old 27th Sep 2016 at 2:15 AM
Names that fit the family. Often after a grandparent. Or if the other siblings have names on a theme, like little Rose Greenman's future siblings would get plant names. Future Capps and Montys could get Shakespearean names. (I always change Puck and Bottom's names, because seriously? Robin is a better name and nearly a synonym for Puck, and Nick Bottom was a man . . . when Peaseblossom is a perfectly good fairy name, and lends itself to 'Blossom' as a nickname.)
The Curious Brothers are going to choose historical names of people like (Blaise) Pascal, so Hildegaard, Marie, Nicholas, Tycho are all likely.

Peni, I don't have baby name books. I have behindthename.com bookmarked instead.

Pics from my game: Sunbee's Simblr Sunbee's Livejournal
"English is a marvelous edged weapon if you know how to wield it." C.J. Cherryh
Inventor
#22 Old 27th Sep 2016 at 3:06 AM
Quote: Originally posted by ihatemandatoryregister
Here's a story for you: In Pokemon Yellow, I'd caught both Nidorans. (For those that are unaware, there were no genders in the first generation, so the male and female Nidorans are actually separate species and evolve into different Pokemon). I wanted to name them Jack and Jill, but mixed them up. So the 'male' Nidoran was Jill, and the 'female' one Jack. It was so funny that I kept it.

What's interesting with the Nidorans is their shiny versions would have identical color schemes to their opposite gender (except for Nidoqueen). I know shinies didn't exist back then but Pokemon in the Pokemon Stadium series would appear in different colors when given certain nicknames.

And on the Trubbish part. Right now, my dad is listening to some political argument going on between Hillary and some of the Republicans (I believe). At times like this, I just ignore it and fire up my old Nintendo console for some good ol' Smash Bros.
Link Ninja
#23 Old 27th Sep 2016 at 3:42 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Gcgb53191
@Charmful, your comment reminded me of the time my husband asked me why in the world I own a baby name book lol!

I hope you explained your reasons before he got too spokked lol.

Uh oh! My social bar is low - that's why I posted today.

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#24 Old 27th Sep 2016 at 3:48 AM
What's interesting with the Nidorans is their shiny versions would have identical color schemes to their opposite gender (except for Nidoqueen). I know shinies didn't exist back then but Pokemon in the Pokemon Stadium series would appear in different colors when given certain nicknames.

And on the Trubbish part. Right now, my dad is listening to some political argument going on between Hillary and some of the Republicans (I believe). At times like this, I just ignore it and fire up my old Nintendo console for some good ol' Smash Bros.

My friend is watching it and seems to think it's absolutely hilarious.

Anyways, if I ever get a Gothorita (the Gothita line is exclusive to Pokemon Black, but I can get her in Pokemon X) I might call it Bella Goth. But considering its hair, perhaps Cassandra Goth would be a better name.

Mad Poster
#25 Old 27th Sep 2016 at 3:55 AM

Presidential Candidates' debate. Clinton vs. Trump. I know some people use 'em as drinking games, but my liver's not up for it, and I'm about the junkiest political junkie you're going to find. (I'll read the transcript when it's out.)

Pics from my game: Sunbee's Simblr Sunbee's Livejournal
"English is a marvelous edged weapon if you know how to wield it." C.J. Cherryh
Page 1 of 3