Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 26th Sep 2016 at 11:34 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default My neigbourhoods have stopped loading
This has happened with *two* 'hoods now. The first one that this happened too was my legacy hood, and I wasn't too surprised. It was a very big folder, I had done a few things that I probably shouldn't have, and the last time I played it graves had disappeared. I thought to it was probably only a matter of time before it stopped working. BUT, this has just happened again to my brand new hood. I'd only played it a few times before this.

What happens is this: I load up the game and it reaches the neighbourhood selection screen. I select my 'hood, and after two (always two) background bits flashing green, it completely stops. It doesn't crash, or freeze really - the cursor is still the in-game one - and task manager shows that it hasn't just gone down to 0% in the 'CPU' column. It just stops with two green bars highlighted.
I've been able to create new 'hoods using terrains (only to decorate) just fine, and been able to load them again. I've taken out all my cc/mods, deleted all my cache files, deleted the neighbourhood manager. I've also left it for an hour to see if it would eventually load, but nope. I'm kind of baffled and don't really know what's going on...
Advertisement
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#2 Old 26th Sep 2016 at 11:38 PM
Are you on disks or the UC? If you are on the UC go into Origin, right click your game and select fix.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 26th Sep 2016 at 11:47 PM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
Are you on disks or the UC? If you are on the UC go into Origin, right click your game and select fix.

I am! I should have thought to do that. I'll report back.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#4 Old 27th Sep 2016 at 12:19 AM
You can also try deleting the neighbourhoodmanager.package from the Neighbourhoods folder (and also cache files)

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#5 Old 27th Sep 2016 at 12:37 AM Last edited by ourladyplumbob : 27th Sep 2016 at 1:22 AM.

Unfortunatley, that doesn't seem to have helped :(

@Maxon Yup, that was the first thing I did!

*Update: Now Bodyshop is crashing at start up. Not sure what's going on with my game...
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#6 Old 27th Sep 2016 at 1:30 AM
Okay, try deleting the sims 2 folder, run your game so it makes a new one. If that doesn't work I'm stuck for ideas.

Make sure you have a backup of the hood you want to keep first.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Scholar
#7 Old 27th Sep 2016 at 2:19 AM
Do you have XSplit Gamecaster? Is it on when you launch the game? If it is, it could be causing issues. I know it did for me.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#8 Old 27th Sep 2016 at 2:24 PM
Okay, try deleting the sims 2 folder, run your game so it makes a new one. If that doesn't work I'm stuck for ideas.

Make sure you have a backup of the hood you want to keep first.

Okay, I will try that now. Just to make sure, once I've got the newly regenerated folder, I can add all my old stuff back in - like terrains, CC, 'hoods etc?

Quote: Originally posted by alljoj
Do you have XSplit Gamecaster? Is it on when you launch the game? If it is, it could be causing issues. I know it did for me.

No I don't. Thank you for the suggestion though

EDIT: Oh lord, I just loaded a fresh Belladonna Cove and the terrain is all flashing red. I have a lighting mod installed but that's worked for me ever since I installed it??!
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#9 Old 27th Sep 2016 at 2:57 PM
Sounds like a video card issue - flashing red usually is.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#10 Old 27th Sep 2016 at 3:02 PM Last edited by ourladyplumbob : 27th Sep 2016 at 3:17 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by maxon
Sounds like a video card issue - flashing red usually is.

Oh wow, I've never had issues with my video card before this. Is there any way to fix that? I'm trying to use Graphics Rule Maker but it's refusing to find my video card...
By any chance could that have been causing my other issues??

EDIT: Okay, not quite sure what happened there but there was an option in Origin to 'update' the game instead of repair, so I did that and that seems to have fixed the red flashing terrain. No idea about the main issues though, will test now.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#11 Old 27th Sep 2016 at 4:25 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ourladyplumbob
EDIT: Okay, not quite sure what happened there but there was an option in Origin to 'update' the game instead of repair, so I did that and that seems to have fixed the red flashing terrain. No idea about the main issues though, will test now.

Ah good - that means something had gone astray.

Field Researcher
Original Poster
#12 Old 27th Sep 2016 at 5:14 PM
I think I fixed the 'hood loading issue!
After I regenerated the Sims 2 folder, I went down the list and added my old sub-folders in one by one. So cameras, then collections, then config etc.
I got the same loading issue again when I put my teleport folder back in - I looked and it had 6 or TMP files that weren't disappearing when I loaded the game. So I deleted them and my hood loaded!! Ugh, I'm so relieved.
Thank you everyone for being willing to help me! :lovestruc

However I have seem to have run into yet another issue... my graphic are absolutely refusing to behave. I only have 800x600 resolution to choose, big black boxes under sims, most of the options greyed out etc. I am used to having to update the GraphicsRules.sgr (/Fun with Pets/SP9 etc) after repairing my game, and did exactly what I usually do. I followed all the steps needed. I've also used Graphics Rule Maker. But none of it has made any difference whatsoever and now I'm stuck with a tiny window to play in.
If anyone is willing to help me yet again ( ) I would be so grateful
Mad Poster
#13 Old 27th Sep 2016 at 10:39 PM
Those files were made with the Store Edition loaded and there should have been a warning where you got them from.

All my Beginning Hoods here at MTS. http://www.modthesims.info/member.php?u=7749491
All my Beginning Hoods as Shopping Districts plus Old Town. http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=523417
MooVille, a tribute to Mootilda and her fabulous lots http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=534158
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#14 Old 27th Sep 2016 at 10:57 PM
If your old hood was made on store addition and you are not on it now, unfortunately they will now be gone. If that's the case I would use this as an opportunity to start over fresh away from it, Store Addition is nothing but a PITB.

~Call me Jo~
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#15 Old 28th Sep 2016 at 1:20 AM
@joandsarah77 and marka93, I'm kind of confused, sorry do you mind clarifying what you mean? Which files? And what's store edition?
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#16 Old 28th Sep 2016 at 1:32 AM
Store edition was one of the game engine versions that was sold while the game was still being made and supported (it was designed to work with the online store more effectively). It has a number of features which cause problems. The main one being that that particular game engine means that any neighbourhood made in it will not be compatible with any other game with a different game engine. It was never made compatible and since the game support stopped, it has become a royal PITA for those people who have it because they are unable to make stuff to share.

Best advice nowadays seems to be get rid of it and try and get the UC.

Field Researcher
#17 Old 28th Sep 2016 at 3:14 AM
Sorry to jump on. If you did in fact have store edition, you actually can get those files to play. I had it and was able to restore following these instructions: http://www.simsnetwork.com/simpedia...mate-collection

But anyway, I restarted on my laptop and "moved on" from those old files. It can be a big pain to do, but the linked instructions should still work.
Mad Poster
#18 Old 28th Sep 2016 at 3:29 AM
Quote: Originally posted by ourladyplumbob
@joandsarah77 and marka93, I'm kind of confused, sorry do you mind clarifying what you mean? Which files? And what's store edition?

You said you had files in your teleport folder that did not get added to your game and was not allow your to start it up and I said they may have been made with the Store Edition.

CC made with the Store Edition installed will not work and can stop your game from start up or hiding things from you when you don't have the Store Edition which you don't for you have UC.

@TheDraizeTrain @joandsarah77 @maxon

Just because I mention the Store Edition does not mean the OP had it because OP has the UC and the files OP installed may have come from one who had the Store Edition and it looks like those files were either hiding OP hoods or would not allow the game to run.

All my Beginning Hoods here at MTS. http://www.modthesims.info/member.php?u=7749491
All my Beginning Hoods as Shopping Districts plus Old Town. http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=523417
MooVille, a tribute to Mootilda and her fabulous lots http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=534158
Field Researcher
#19 Old 28th Sep 2016 at 4:02 AM
I thought it was implied we know that OP may or may NOT have it since we used "if..."

Not bad to throw that possibility out there, right?
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#20 Old 28th Sep 2016 at 4:07 AM
marka I just saw you said they had SA and followed on from what you said. The way you said it sounded like you knew for sure they had it.

If they don't have it, then I for one can't think of what they have going on.

~Call me Jo~
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#21 Old 28th Sep 2016 at 2:16 PM
Ah sorry for not being clear: I've only ever played with Ultimate Collection. But I understand what you're saying about Store Addition, and it makes sense that it would be the problem with those teleport files. I had no idea that that could cause problems. Thank you for explaining, everyone It looks like I'll have to clear my teleport folder regularly because I just ran into the loading problem again!
However, my first hood that stopped loading was actually Desiderata Valley so it wasn't custom or downloaded. I hope that clears things up a bit

And now bizarrely my Graphics.sgr has just decided to take, and I can play in a proper resolution again! I have no idea what's been up with my game lately. To tell you the truth I'm just waiting for something else to go wrong..
I appreciate all the help very much.
Mad Poster
#22 Old 28th Sep 2016 at 2:58 PM
Since you're having so much trouble with your graphics, it's possible they aren't up to handling the game and are straining your machine, creating erratic extra problems that make troubleshooting harder. What's your videocard? And are you quite sure the game is running that and not your machine's default graphics?

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#23 Old 28th Sep 2016 at 6:30 PM Last edited by ourladyplumbob : 28th Sep 2016 at 6:51 PM. Reason: More info
Quote: Originally posted by Peni Griffin
Since you're having so much trouble with your graphics, it's possible they aren't up to handling the game and are straining your machine, creating erratic extra problems that make troubleshooting harder. What's your videocard? And are you quite sure the game is running that and not your machine's default graphics?

I never thought of that, but could be a definite possibility. You'll have to forgive me because I'm not good with computer stuff, but I believe I only have one videocard (if that's what you meant with the last bit). I have an AMD RADEON R9 M395. And I am 99% sure that's what my game is using. (I have no idea if what I've just told you is helpful in any way!)
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#24 Old 28th Sep 2016 at 11:20 PM
Are you on a notebook or a Mac? I'm no tec but that does not sound like a gaming card. I hope I am wrong but it could even be a chip not a card. Games are very graphic intensive and can overheat a chip not designed for it to the point of melting. I would be very careful.

I am trying to Google it and getting confusing hits such as notebook, Mac, chip and card. Hopefully a tec will come along and see the post.

~Call me Jo~
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#25 Old 29th Sep 2016 at 12:17 AM
Are you on a notebook or a Mac? I'm no tec but that does not sound like a gaming card. I hope I am wrong but it could even be a chip not a card. Games are very graphic intensive and can overheat a chip not designed for it to the point of melting. I would be very careful.

I am trying to Google it and getting confusing hits such as notebook, Mac, chip and card. Hopefully a tec will come along and see the post.

Oh, that's a bit worrying. I am on a full-size Mac.
Page 1 of 2