Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
#26 Old 25th Oct 2016 at 12:55 AM
Quote: Originally posted by daisylee
I will keep this short as this topic has been beaten to death over the last 2 years. I have a love/hate relationship with it. Some things were done well and too many things are missing, done poorly, or are just plain meh. This game does not hold my interest like the prior versions. I see many poor decisions and wasted opportunities. And that is a shame.

This is pretty much where I'm at, too. A few well-executed ideas, and a mishmash of everything else. I primarily build, and whilst being able to move rooms, set foundation heights without having to resort to changing the terrain, and various exterior trims are nice, the complete lack of flexibility everywhere else (especially with the lack of CaSt) bores me.
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#27 Old 25th Oct 2016 at 1:03 AM
Quote: Originally posted by pirate_wolf_12
oh ok

do u think beyonce gets well peeved she has to google pokemon to get the fancy e with the symbol when ever she has to type her name

Nobody said anything, but this is absolutely hilarious. Laughed out loud on the bus several times because I kept reading it over and over.
Theorist
#28 Old 25th Oct 2016 at 6:19 AM
The building aspect of it is nice. I can't tolerate watching a movie for 90 minutes straight but I can for longer than that just messing with placement and colors with TS4.
Theorist
#29 Old 26th Oct 2016 at 5:39 AM
Quote: Originally posted by audioromance
TS4 is like an abusive relationship for me. I want to love it because I like CAS and I enjoy that it runs better on my machine than a full modded out TS2 or 3, but it lacks the spark of life. It is like dead inside. All it does is scream and give me black eyes. >.> At this point I have lost all hope that it will even have half of the content of TS2.

Which is extremely funny because the entire selling point of this iteration of the sims was that they were trying to bring the sims to life. It seems like not only have they failed, but their efforts -in some people's eyes- seem to have been counter-intuitive.
Top Secret Researcher
#30 Old 26th Oct 2016 at 9:12 AM
I like TS4. It's an option. A simpler alternative to TS2 and TS3. I always treat each of the different iteration of the game as a different game rather than the same game with upgraded graphics. I still have 2 and 3 installed on my PC so whenever I am in a reminisce mood I'll boot the game back.

I can say one thing though, I think TS4 is the easiest one I can enjoy without any other mods apart from Master Controller. The rest I consider optional to enhance my game.

While in TS2 and TS3 I need a lot of mods to play comfortably. A lot.
Mad Poster
#31 Old 26th Oct 2016 at 9:51 PM
I like the small details, like sims being able to chat on the phone while using the toilet, watching TV while eating, grafting other plants on to a single plant so you can do gardening work on just one plant and harvest different things, sims being able to drink from a glass in each hand. I miss being able to select and place down different lot sizes and being able to decorate the neighbourhoods to my taste.
Scholar
#32 Old 28th Oct 2016 at 12:26 PM
I agree, the multitasking was a great feature. Sims 4 is great at what it does, and I especially adore CAS.
Lab Assistant
#33 Old 28th Oct 2016 at 1:52 PM
Quote: Originally posted by alljoj
I agree, the multitasking was a great feature. Sims 4 is great at what it does

I lol'd
Scholar
#34 Old 28th Oct 2016 at 2:35 PM
And by what it does I mean be a game that I can play without insane lag. It also looks nice and actually entertained me a lot more than I remembered. Not saying much. (Also, I really love CAS. Did I mention that?)
Scholar
#35 Old 28th Oct 2016 at 9:02 PM
I do. I actually, genuinely love it. But like other sims versions there are things I don't like and that can be improved. Now that EA has fixed the issue with married sims having romantic relationships with NCP's, thats one less thing I need to mod/worry about. Do you want the short form of why I love it "yes" or the long form with the long list of reasons I love it?
Top Secret Researcher
#36 Old 28th Oct 2016 at 10:25 PM
I actually miss the sims 4 sometimes. It is much easier to get into, build and make your fantasy world than any of the previous itterations... problem is that its' flaws make the rest of the game obsolete. I mean, there are so many great concepts, like wall and window heights, column slots, fences, different roof colors... but there are features that make those things obsolete and irrelevant like no different foundation heights, no terrain tools, no ponds, extremely limited color options, overly stylized and big furnitre... It just ruins what is great. And don't let me start with the actual gameplay.

So yeah, it is easy, it runs well, it has it's good, different experimental features that could do much more tweaking (club mechanic, lot trait mechanic, active careers), old features that are done badly (retail shops, soon apartments, memories, genetics). It all looks like a charade because of simple overlooks, but not just few simple overlooks, lot of them. So, while it is indeed intuitive, it is just a bare skeleton of it's own intuitiveness. And for what sake? Well for EAs' budget ofcourse!

So, I'm not really hating it, nor what they've done with it. I'm hating more of how they actually treat us, and they treat us like we are stupid enough to not realise they have problems and are actually believing that they are listening to us. And now that they are starting to accept that this game is not very much liked by the fans of previous instalments, they are still blaming the fans. While it may be hard for them, it is still in description of their job and they should've been ready for such thing when they signed the contract to work for EA. They are handling this whole thing unproffesionally.

I at least hope that the lack in TS4 content is actually because they've given up on it as a game, but decided to keep it as a cash/budget milking and testing ground in order to deliver great TS5 game that they are probably already working on. But one can only hope...
Mad Poster
#37 Old 29th Oct 2016 at 12:37 PM Last edited by daisylee : 30th Oct 2016 at 9:18 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by alljoj
I agree, the multitasking was a great feature. Sims 4 is great at what it does, and I especially adore CAS.

I see you got a lot of disagrees on this. I think Sims 4 does do some things in a great way. I like the graphics. I like build items such as being able to move the whole building, the way the foundations work, the variable window heights, the search function, etc. I like CAS but actually still can do some refinements better in 3 than in 4. There are some things that are very good. Some of the gameplay elements are well done.

I think the problem for many/most of us here that play it at all is that there simply are not enough great things as too much is missing and too much is done in too bland of a style. It misses the mark in too many ways. I think to like it more players have to divorce it from the prior versions, but that is very hard to do if you have played all of them, as I have.
Field Researcher
#38 Old 30th Oct 2016 at 1:05 AM Last edited by BudgieSimBoy : 30th Oct 2016 at 6:35 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by daisylee
I see you got a lots of disagrees on this. I think Sims 4 does do some things in a great way. I like the graphics. I like build items such as being about to move the whole building, the way the foundations work, the variable window heights, the search function, etc. I like CAS but actually still can do some refinements better in 3 than in 4. There are some things that are very good. Some of the gameplay elements are well done.

I think the problem for many/most of us here that play it at all is that there simply are not enough great things as too much is missing and too much is done in too bland of a style. It misses the mark in too many ways. I think to like it more players have to divorce it from the prior versions, but that is very hard to do if you have played all of them, as I have.

Have to agree if you never played earlier version of the game you would probable think it was a great game, however as someone who has played all three version before it simply for me has not the ability to grab my attention, as the former games did, and I get bored after an hour or so of playing the life of a sim and that part of the game for me feels so shallow (great to build and CAS).

It has other good point but i find I buy an ep or game pack play for a short while and stop for weeks,...... Just checked my stats TS 4 Hour played 372 last played July 24 say compared to Cities Skylines (which came out six months after TS4 889 hours last played Tuesday.
Scholar
#39 Old 30th Oct 2016 at 6:52 AM
I don't get what is so shallow about this game. For once they can finally communicate with each other nearly no matter what they are doing. Like a husband can talk to his wife (or husband or whatever) when she's cooking! My god! That's revolutionary! They make lovely attempts to actually look at the sim they are talking to. They make lovely attempts to look at sims who have just walked into the room whom they are not talking to. They glance at family photos on walls without being instructed to do so. They don't cheer every five seconds when fulfilled. Finally, conversations feel so much more realistic and dynamic. They feel so much more realistic. For me, its that little stuff that might seem meaningless to you that makes them so much more real and beautiful. Don't even get me started on how they look my god there is NO comparison.

Yes. There are activities I'd like to see added back into the game. I think excluding toddlers (even though I hated them in 3) was a huge mistake. But I have so much to do with the sims I have I have yet to really miss what I thought I'd miss in this version. My story lines are never ending and I really care about my sims, their children, grandchildren, ect. Yes, the emotions could use some tweaking. Like anger and sadness could be stronger so that 'good environments' do not override them so easily. But can you say you never needed to mod 2 and 3? I have few mods now for 4 but had to heavily mod 3. (Awesomemod)

I do have a much longer list of reasons I love it. I'll spare you. Unless someone is genuinely interested.
Lab Assistant
#40 Old 30th Oct 2016 at 8:19 AM
Quote: Originally posted by spidergirl79
I don't get what is so shallow about this game. For once they can finally communicate with each other nearly no matter what they are doing. Like a husband can talk to his wife (or husband or whatever) when she's cooking! My god! That's revolutionary! They make lovely attempts to actually look at the sim they are talking to. They make lovely attempts to look at sims who have just walked into the room whom they are not talking to. They glance at family photos on walls without being instructed to do so. They don't cheer every five seconds when fulfilled. Finally, conversations feel so much more realistic and dynamic. They feel so much more realistic. For me, its that little stuff that might seem meaningless to you that makes them so much more real and beautiful. Don't even get me started on how they look my god there is NO comparison.

Yes. There are activities I'd like to see added back into the game. I think excluding toddlers (even though I hated them in 3) was a huge mistake. But I have so much to do with the sims I have I have yet to really miss what I thought I'd miss in this version. My story lines are never ending and I really care about my sims, their children, grandchildren, ect. Yes, the emotions could use some tweaking. Like anger and sadness could be stronger so that 'good environments' do not override them so easily. But can you say you never needed to mod 2 and 3? I have few mods now for 4 but had to heavily mod 3. (Awesomemod)

I do have a much longer list of reasons I love it. I'll spare you. Unless someone is genuinely interested.

Reading your post I'd believe it's sarcasm because it's so on the nose except since you spend all your time gushing about this heap in "What did I discover in Sims 4 Today" thread I have to unfortunately take your words at face value.
Mad Poster
#41 Old 30th Oct 2016 at 9:32 AM
I agree with spidergirl that the Sims are more lively and they are more varied. Sims in 3 were a bit robotic, but we knew and loved them as knew them from birth to death through all the real life stages. I find a major disconnect in 4 with the jumping from cribs to kids then teens that are way too similar to adults. I suppose my ideal game would be the charm of 2, the open world and CASt of 3, and the Sims and graphics of 4. But I also want/need there to be more wit and black humor. I want more chances of death. I want more of the unexpected. I want a game designed for upper teens and up and not one that feels like an app designed for 12s.

And for me no CAW and these ridiculously tiny worlds makes it hard to love it more. I love to build, and with no CASt and no blasted place to build, that does not sit well with me. I have worlds in 3 with over 100 lots I can work on. That can keep me in builder's heaven for a long time.

And the lack of story progression is a big problem for me. I love how in 3 I could split off a part of the family across the street and watch both parts for generations. Without things like that I cannot totally love 4. And I love to build on hillside lots, and do ones with walkout basements, and, and, and, and all that is missing in 4. And varying tree sizes, and....
Theorist
#42 Old 30th Oct 2016 at 11:11 AM Last edited by Orphalesion : 30th Oct 2016 at 2:30 PM.
I love the CAS and the building tools (dragging and changing rooms etc) and the ability to easily edit Townies. I actively miss those features when I'm playing Sims 2. With Sims 3 this only happaened when they introduced Fairies, Mermaids and Unicorns.

However the rest of the game is just flat out unplayable.

This is the origin of my attitude that I really, really, desperately want to give EA my money for a copy of a new, better Sims game. But they don't let me! They don't let me.
Lab Assistant
#43 Old 30th Oct 2016 at 12:52 PM

So nice to read this - you feel exactly the same as I do about Sims 4. I can agree to everything you just wrote
I really love the game - and I do find the individual sims evolve a lot over time.
Their personalities grows deeper and they feel so real in this - how they keep on developing just like real humans do.
I see my sims getting more traits as time goes - some I never gave them - they keep on surprising me.
I have never experienced much like this in any of the other Sims games.
For my playing style - it fits me so well. FYI : I have played the game 1100+ hours and I started playing 3,5 months ago.
Top Secret Researcher
#44 Old 30th Oct 2016 at 1:18 PM
@Spidergirl... All of those things you have in sims 2, really... except group talking. But sims did multitask since the golden age of TS2, and they moved their heads where they looked, showed interest in different things and had interesting iddle animations, and did communicate while doing different activites as well. Sims 4 did nothing revolutionary. It just did more of what we already had, but with cost of alienating other great features from itself.

Also, why would you need more fluid sims, when they can only woohoo, give birth to static object that soon grows to child that is indifferent from any other child, the child will then grow up to be teen that is indifferent from any other teen, young adult, adult and elder except few cosmetic details, only to be able to skill up certain skills from a heap of useless skills that reward with just few useless animations, better income and stupid collectables.

There is no personality in sims themselves, no matter how much dynamic they might look, essentally, they are same old sim...
Scholar
#45 Old 30th Oct 2016 at 2:46 PM
For once they can finally communicate with each other nearly no matter what they are doing. Like a husband can talk to his wife (or husband or whatever) when she's cooking! My god! That's revolutionary!

I just noticed that the other day, All that time I used to just wait till they finished cooking before being distracted, because I expected (Like previous Sim games) there will be a fire. But no it's great getting relationships and social needs up in the middle of cooking! It's works also if someone is Evolving Plants in garden as well!

But haha! I didn't really need them to use their cellphones while still sitting on the toilet.
Scholar
#46 Old 30th Oct 2016 at 4:08 PM
yeah, guys, it's not about love or hate, it's about change and becoming granpa-isied. The moment when You look at the S4, new Fallout, all that stuff created for "Xbox kids" or so, and You start to realise You do not belong here anymore. Time passed, the World has changed, it's time to crawl into coffin and die.

We'll haunt you, the Evil One ! (Tomorrow)

favorite quote: "When ElaineNualla is posting..I always read..Nutella. I am sorry" by Rosebine
self-claimed "lower-spec simmer"
Scholar
#47 Old 1st Nov 2016 at 8:00 PM
I don't get what is so shallow about this game. For once they can finally communicate with each other nearly no matter what they are doing. Like a husband can talk to his wife (or husband or whatever) when she's cooking! My god! That's revolutionary! They make lovely attempts to actually look at the sim they are talking to. They make lovely attempts to look at sims who have just walked into the room whom they are not talking to. They glance at family photos on walls without being instructed to do so. They don't cheer every five seconds when fulfilled. Finally, conversations feel so much more realistic and dynamic..

I read through your whole post a couple of times because I thought you were being sarcastic at first.

I made a renewed, sincere try at playing TS4 very recently, and coming off of TS2, it was maddening how the sims almost never have a realistic 'eyeline' to the sim they are supposed to be talking to or interacting with. Often the person their attention is focused on is actually standing behind them, and so they stand and talk to a wall or whatever is in front of them.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'lovely attempts', it's an interesting phrase, but in TS2 they ACTUALLY look at the sim that just walked into the room, rather than merely attempting to.
Theorist
#48 Old 2nd Nov 2016 at 5:28 PM
Quote: Originally posted by gwynne
I made a renewed, sincere try at playing TS4 very recently, and coming off of TS2, it was maddening how the sims almost never have a realistic 'eyeline' to the sim they are supposed to be talking to or interacting with. Often the person their attention is focused on is actually standing behind them, and so they stand and talk to a wall or whatever is in front of them.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'lovely attempts', it's an interesting phrase, but in TS2 they ACTUALLY look at the sim that just walked into the room, rather than merely attempting to.

I have to agree, once in Sims 4 I had two Sims sit back-to-back on opposite sides of a double bed to carry on a conversation. I wouldn't even consider that a "lovely attempt" xD
Lab Assistant
#49 Old 2nd Nov 2016 at 6:47 PM
Imo Sims 4 feels too easy. Like it's meant for a 10 year old to play, not a 20 year old like myself. Playing Sims 1, 2 and 3 I would often find myself googling things cause I couldn't figure out how for example I was supposed to enter a tomb in Sims 3 WA, but in Sims 4 there is just never ever a challenge. Everything is just made so easy. What are needs and motives? Idk, don't have to worry about needs in Sims 4 cause I can buy damn potions out of my pocket at any given time. Supposed to be inspired before you leave for work? Look at the clouds for a minute. I'm embarrassed to say that I play Sims 4, but I'm not embarrassed to say that I play Sims 1, 2 or 3. Let's be honest it's a kids game at this point
Top Secret Researcher
#50 Old 2nd Nov 2016 at 6:50 PM
I often have groups of sims all rounded up in front of a pillar or a wall, staring blindly into it while talking to other sims in the group... or sims casting their look behind their back just so they could continue to talk with a person they talked to, before they had to stand up because of the game's "musical chairs" coding, while the other sim is just chillng, watching some TV or drinking a drink, not caring about the obvious freak talking behind their back. Dont get me started on sims talking with thin air...

This game is a failure at all of the things it does. It all looks and sounds great on paper. When you experience it though, it is obvoius it's just sugarcoating the game that shouldve been an online experience with great concepts that have suffered extreme simplification because of the limited game engine and developers' incapability to handle "dire situations" and "technical limitations"...
Page 2 of 6