Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Scholar
#26 Old 9th Feb 2017 at 1:57 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Charity
(...) if there's any chance of making us switch to TS4.

No way.

“Secret is only a secret when it is unspoken to another.”
Simblr
My profile on the official forums
Advertisement
Top Secret Researcher
#27 Old 9th Feb 2017 at 2:05 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Voeille
No way.
(About us switching for Sims 4)
I agree too! No way.
I've had Sims 4 on a shelf for a long time now, still didn't try it. When I do, I doubt I'll like it as much as Sims 2 - just from the simplified/cartoonified looks of it.

I know I can't do it, but I'm still going to do it. - M. C. Escher
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#28 Old 9th Feb 2017 at 2:06 AM
Tell them sims 2 is the better made game; that sims 3 and 4, just like that brand new vacuum cleaner you bought that went kaput 2 weeks after its warranty expired, has been shoddily made.

So far the toddlers in 4 are cute but the game play feels very much like sims 3, clunky, just that the sims look better.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Top Secret Researcher
#29 Old 9th Feb 2017 at 2:10 AM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
Tell them sims 2 is the better made game;

Totally. This is not us being resisting to change, the later games lost appeal compared to Sims 2.

I know I can't do it, but I'm still going to do it. - M. C. Escher
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#30 Old 9th Feb 2017 at 2:12 AM
They make a proper sequel and I will be there with bells on.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Scholar
#31 Old 9th Feb 2017 at 2:22 AM
Tell them sims 2 is the better made game; that sims 3 and 4, just like that brand new vacuum cleaner you bought that went kaput 2 weeks after its warranty expired, has been shoddily made.

So far the toddlers in 4 are cute but the game play feels very much like sims 3, clunky, just that the sims look better.

Yeah I agree that TS2 seems much more polished than newer games, it just is noticeable that the devs had passion and knew what they were doing while making it. To some extent the gameplay in TS4 might seem similar to TS3, but I’d say TS3 is better. It has much more to offer, and the sims seem less shallow than TS4 ones. Some details are better done in TS3 too (like the inventory system I mentioned in the other thread), and it has incomparably more creative possibilities. I miss some things from TS3 in TS2 (give me CASt!), but not much from TS4.

As for the sim look, I’d say that TS3 sims with mods and CC look better than TS4 sims with mods and CC (1, 2), but for vanilla sims it depends. I don’t like the doll-like look of TS4 sims and the helmet hair, but the townies and premades overall look better than TS3. And default skin replacement would make me say that TS3 wins. TS2 sims look comparably good (especially with CC), and they have nice face expressions (in general their animations are the most natural compared to other games) the only problem is that the sim mesh is lower poly and isn’t as smooth as in TS3 or TS4.

Simblr
Lab Assistant
#32 Old 9th Feb 2017 at 2:24 AM
Absolutely not! I didn't start playing Sims 2 until 2009, when my niece moved on to Sims 3 & gave me her Sims 2 stuff. Later she decided she didn't care for Sims 3, tried Sims 4 & didn't like that either, so she bought used Sims 2 discs on eBay. Knowing her experience with Sims 3 & 4, I have no desire to play either one.
Top Secret Researcher
#33 Old 9th Feb 2017 at 2:29 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Voeille
Recently out of curiosity I’ve been comparing the amount of people viewing the discussion boards here, and the pattern seems to be TS3>TS2>TS4>TS1. So if more people are interested in discussing TS2 instead of new shiny TS4, I don’t think it’s going to be forgotten. TS2 has very active modding/creating community, there are plenty of new things uploaded everyday in various places (even on this very site), and it doesn’t seem it’s going to stop anytime soon. If Nintendo games from 80s/90s can get new players (me), why not TS2? Especially given that these days it’s still far from retro considering its possibilities and and its looks with mods and CC.

That has consistently been the pattern, ever since Sims 4 was released. Occasionally 4 blips ahead, but it never stays there.

And my response to "move on to Sims 4" is, in the language of my people: "Aw hell no." ("Hell" should be pronounced "hail.")
Scholar
#34 Old 9th Feb 2017 at 2:30 AM
Thank goodness my computer is crap and I never got sucked into 3 and 4.

My crappy computer saved me

"Oh look, my grandchild is now an elder. They grow up so fast. Gee, I wonder when I'll finally graduate college." Sims 2
Alchemist
#35 Old 9th Feb 2017 at 2:35 AM
how long people would play/buy Sims2; that would depend on what people are interested in.
Sims2 seems to have have things to interest multiple groups.

it may also depend on what future versions are like.
Field Researcher
#36 Old 9th Feb 2017 at 3:45 AM
Classic games never die. People keep on playing them.
Meet Me In My Next Life
#37 Old 9th Feb 2017 at 4:50 AM
@ billielith is that you ? I have not seen you for a while, so "nice" to see you here on the forum, I have had you on my favorite creator list here on MTS for some years now.
Looking forward to more of your creation to share here.

"Nothing in life is a Surprise it just happen to come your way at the time".
Mad Poster
#38 Old 9th Feb 2017 at 7:41 AM Last edited by gazania : 10th Feb 2017 at 12:55 AM.
Why should it be?

Sims 2 is indeed no longer the game that Sims players play the most. That distinction goes to Sims 3. However, because a game is no longer the newest or the most popular one in its series does not mean it is designated to fade into obscurity. Sims 2 is still held in pretty high regard by many Simmers. Because a game came out more than a decade ago does not mean people are no longer interested in it. My son and his friends play a game that originally came out in the 90s, and couldn't care any less about its age, nor that it's not a top game in its genre.

I'm seeing more and more people who play two or more Sims series. I now do myself. The four Sims series are very different, and many appreciate and enjoy that difference. While I still prefer Sims 2, I'll play 3 or 4 as my mood and schedule dictates (I play 3 more than 4 ... 4 still seems considerably unfinished to me), and even play 1 (very) occasionally. But I'll still return to Sims 2.

To be honest, I was concerned that Sims 2 was going to be played far less when Sims 4 came out, but as others wrote, thanks to UC, EA kept the series alive. I'm not sure if EA intended to do that, but thank you, EA! You gave this game the boost it needed and deserved.

Thanks to ALL free-site creators, admins and mods.

RIP Sunni ... truly a ray of light.
Theorist
#39 Old 9th Feb 2017 at 7:48 AM
Switching to Sims 4? Why should I downgrade like that?

They make a proper sequel and I will be there with bells on.

Word. As soon as hey do that I'll give them my money again, but not a day before that.
Scholar
#40 Old 9th Feb 2017 at 8:40 AM
Because of the want to complete a game and the fact that it is an open ended game it tugs repeatedly at us. We want to finish the game but never will be able to because it has no official end or rolling credits afterwards. This is why sandboxy style games often last longer in people's minds than direct quest games.

Plus I'm too used to the way Sims look in Sims 2 and its spinoff titles and my computer won't handle much else.
Forum Resident
#41 Old 9th Feb 2017 at 8:42 AM
An old game being completely replaced with newer games in the series? You haven't been around gamers much, have you?

The Heroes of Might and Magic fanbase will relentlessly hunt down anybody who doesn't agree that Heroes III is the best thing since the invention of computers. Recently a developer disagreed with it. The hunt is on.
Last summer, a scandal rocked the Gamefaqs board when for the first time ever, The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time was not voted Best Game Ever and instead lost to a newcomer indie game. There were screams of despair and accusations of voting fraud. Those actually turned out to be true, people had created bots to increase votes for Ocarina of Time.
For years, people have demanded a HD remake of Finaly Fantasy VII. A remake is currently in the works, but people complain that it sucks because it will have new graphics and a different battle system, claiming they only wanted improved graphics and compatibility with new gaming systems. They ignore the fact that when Final Fantasy X was released with improved graphics and compatibility with new gaming systems, there were complaints about there not being enough changes to make it worth the money. There were also complaints about the few changes there were, like adding new music tracts, because this changed the game experience.
There are PC emulators for every single old console, allowing you to play even the oldest of old games on your shiny new PC, and those things are incredibly popular.

What I'm saying is, as long as nostalgia exists, Sims 2 will never die. Also, gamers tend to be really weird about their games.

One of the things that keeps amazing me about the Sims 2 community is how there is absolutely no hostility. I mean, MATY is the closest thing to it. But even in this thread, which for any other game series would be the perfect breeding ground, all I see is people saying "Nah, I prefer Sims 2 to Sims 4, because of those sensible reasons, but a lot of people like 4 and that's okay too."
Inventor
#42 Old 9th Feb 2017 at 11:37 AM
I'm so disgruntled right now.
No, not because of you Peevpee, I don't mind your topic and questions at all.
Why then?
Well, I bought a new pc with graphic card. Got Windows 10 with it, no other choice, although I feared it might not let me play Sims 2.
But with hope I installed all my discs. Took me quite a while. Then I got to work to install my Fayport neighborhood, the cheat file, my edited modular stairs file and downloads.
First issue, I only had the 800x600 resolution. Managed to change that.
It worked, I was so happy. I also was rid of the blocky water.
However, I feared that it wasn't running on my graphic card, but on the onboard chip because smooth edges was still greyed out. And I didn't buy that graphic card for nothing, you know. Sims 2 better use it.
So..I installed a file to take care of that and then happened what the first poster in this topic had: http://www.leefish.nl/mybb/showthread.php?tid=7041
Sims 2 isn't running anymore. I uninstalled back until I could get it to work again. That was Pets, but I want my bon voyage, seasons and freetime as well.
I hoped it would help to reinstall the other three, so I reinstalled Bon Voyage, tested it, nope, same message again.
That means I have to uninstall everything and start over. CRY.
Moral of the story?
Apparently I love my sims 2 so much that I get THIS cranky when things go wrong and I can't play anymore.
Yep, I'm a lifelong fan and the universe better let me play again! :P
Now I'm heading off to the stupid questions topic to ask how I can make sure all traces of the game are gone after I uninstalled everything to start over.
Don't want to install everything again, only to be met with the same message and all is for nothing. I can't handle any more crankiness. :P
Scholar
#43 Old 9th Feb 2017 at 12:12 PM
Quote: Originally posted by mirjampenning
I'm so disgruntled right now.
No, not because of you Peevpee, I don't mind your topic and questions at all.
Why then?
Well, I bought a new pc with graphic card. Got Windows 10 with it, no other choice, although I feared it might not let me play Sims 2.
But with hope I installed all my discs. Took me quite a while. Then I got to work to install my Fayport neighborhood, the cheat file, my edited modular stairs file and downloads.
First issue, I only had the 800x600 resolution. Managed to change that.
It worked, I was so happy. I also was rid of the blocky water.
However, I feared that it wasn't running on my graphic card, but on the onboard chip because smooth edges was still greyed out. And I didn't buy that graphic card for nothing, you know. Sims 2 better use it.
So..I installed a file to take care of that and then happened what the first poster in this topic had: http://www.leefish.nl/mybb/showthread.php?tid=7041
Sims 2 isn't running anymore. I uninstalled back until I could get it to work again. That was Pets, but I want my bon voyage, seasons and freetime as well.
I hoped it would help to reinstall the other three, so I reinstalled Bon Voyage, tested it, nope, same message again.
That means I have to uninstall everything and start over. CRY.
Moral of the story?
Apparently I love my sims 2 so much that I get THIS cranky when things go wrong and I can't play anymore.
Yep, I'm a lifelong fan and the universe better let me play again! :P
Now I'm heading off to the stupid questions topic to ask how I can make sure all traces of the game are gone after I uninstalled everything to start over.
Don't want to install everything again, only to be met with the same message and all is for nothing. I can't handle any more crankiness. :P

I have two graphic cards as well, but luckily I can run TS2 on my NVidia card – however, in full screen only, otherwise I get a DirectX error. Castaway Stories has windowed mode possible to turn on in game options, and even if it’s turned off I can’t get it to run on the proper card. But well I definitely prefer Castaway doing that than TS2.

Simblr
Test Subject
#44 Old 9th Feb 2017 at 12:26 PM
I don't think so if the sims 2 is going to end.
since this game is offline and not online gaming :D

before i playing sims 2, i'am still playing sims 1 beside my online gaming.
although sims 1 is more simple than sims 2 it's still make fun for me, to design lot, planing scene for the lot and the family.
But sims 2 is totally different after i know there is a lot of mod in internet, make the game is like what you like and you can make many creation with it such as movie, meshing, game mod, animations , story telling and many more
while I have never played sims 3 and 4 before, so i don't know the sims 3 and 4 what is like.

i am new here, new fans and trying to make some creations from totally zero.
maybe what you mean is the modder people is going to retire than the game is going to end ^_^
Mad Poster
#45 Old 9th Feb 2017 at 12:45 PM
I doubt that the Sims 2 game will stop brining in new players. Many games form the '80s still manage to attract new players. I think that as long as TS2 game exist, people will always go to it, even if only to see what earlier titles were like.

I do think that the general influx of players has been reduced since the release of the Sims 3 game however.

Because the earth is standing still, and the truth becomes a lie
A choice profound is bittersweet, no one hears Cassandra Goth cry

Test Subject
Original Poster
#46 Old 9th Feb 2017 at 2:30 PM
Default Interesting comments!
There are some very strong opinions on this subject. It seems that there are those that are pretty f##cking pissed off by my post. Hell, of course you are entitled to be pissed off. Though keep in mind that the purpose of this post was to get the opinions of you guys, not to advocate a claim that ‘Sims 2 is dying’.

The consensus is that Sims 2 still has many many many good years ahead. Of course I would like that, I am a sims 2 fan after all. That being said, I am still under the opinion that these are the twilight years of Sims 2. I did come here to be convinced otherwise, I just wanted to hear you guys out
Mad Poster
#47 Old 9th Feb 2017 at 2:54 PM
Switching to TS4?
(Well, I was given it for Christmas in 2015.
And I have started it.
More than once, actually).
So - NO way
Mad Poster
#48 Old 9th Feb 2017 at 3:20 PM
Unless the sims 4 gets improved and fixed on behave of my wishes/desires, TS2 will still be left in my heart despite of how some things are flawled and outdated in it that makes me pull my hair out.
Mad Poster
#49 Old 9th Feb 2017 at 9:40 PM
As long as my pixels breathe their rarified air, and continue to irk me to no end with their mischievous misdeeds and moods, there will always be a Sims 2.

Long live Sims 2!

Receptacle Refugee & Resident Polar Bear
"Get out of my way, young'un, I'm a ninja!"
Grave Matters: The funeral podium is available here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/e6tj...albits.zip/file
My other downloads are here: https://app.mediafire.com/myfiles
Top Secret Researcher
#50 Old 9th Feb 2017 at 9:58 PM Last edited by krudyard : 10th Feb 2017 at 1:15 AM.
Perhaps the death knell would be hardware/software compatibility so it's nigh impossible to play without a lot of hassle (I'll keep my current computer going for as long as possible) which might turn off new fans but other than that no. I still play Morrowind and Beach life and would still play sim city if I still had it. Good games will survive.
Page 2 of 13