Home | Download | Discussion | Help | Site Map | New Posts | Sign in

Latest Site News

Nysha's New Creators for February - posted on 1st Mar 2017 at 9:00 AM
Replies: 2 (Who?), Viewed: 2918 times.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#1 Old 15th Feb 2017 at 10:21 PM Last edited by whoward69 : 15th Feb 2017 at 10:50 PM.
Default Recolouring 3 Birds picture - and missing/misunderstanding something
So I created 6 cat images using SimPE and the Photo Studio plugin - all went well.

But what I'd originally intended was to create a recolour of the 3 Tropical Birds picture from Pets. But I couldn't find a Photo Studio template for that (found them for just about every other picture in every other expansion pack!). Even tried to follow the instructions to make my own, but they are out-of-date and refer to tools/options that no longer seem to be part of SimPE.

So, I thought I'd "just" recolour the picture. Started SimPE, Object Workshop, found the picture, made a recolour of it, tried the recolour (without changing the texture) in game and all was good.

Extracted the texture (it's very small!) and scaled the kitties down to fit the available space

and updated the texture.

Updated package with the "Build DXT" right-click option, and loaded into game (package attached).

First problem, the icon in the catalogue is a horrible negative (but the Photo Studio generated one is ok)

Second problem, very weird effects on zooming in - see zoom0 thru zoom6 - as you can see the Photo Studio generated painting zooms OK

Third problem, very fuzzy close-up (but this will be due to the very small size of the replacement texture)

In the end gave up and just went with 6 individual pictures. But I would like to know where I'm going wrong as it's bugging me!

TIA

W
Screenshots
Download - please read all instructions before downloading any files!
File Type: zip 3CatsPainting.zip (9.3 KB, 2 downloads) - View custom content

Just call me William, definitely not Who-Ward
Advertisement
Née whiterider
staff: administrator
#2 Old 15th Feb 2017 at 11:26 PM
It looks to me like your texture had a partially transparent background before you imported it into SimPE. At normal zoom it looks alright, but as the texture size goes down, you can see the pixelation caused by the DDS tools struggling to mipmap transparency in an image with such thin lines (the cats' tails).

I'm not sure about the thumbnail but I wouldn't be surprised if it's caused by the same thing.

If your image was completely opaque, then I'm not sure what the problem is - I just built it using DXT1 (which strips transparency) and no Sharpen option, into your existing file, and the mipmaps look fine:

If you want to increase the texture quality, you can just use a bigger texture when building DXT in SimPE - just make sure it has the same proportions, and that all the dimensions are a power of 2 - so the next higher texture size you could use would be 512*512. (You might know this, but just in case you don't!)
Screenshots
Download - please read all instructions before downloading any files!
File Type: 7z 3CatsPainting.7z (8.4 KB, 2 downloads) - View custom content

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#3 Old 16th Feb 2017 at 6:43 PM
After much experimentation ... DON'T use DXT1 with EdgeDetect

Yay Kitties
Screenshots

Just call me William, definitely not Who-Ward